Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

69 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

FundSuperMart v18 (FSM) MY : Online UT Platform, UT DIY : Babystep to Investing :D

views

Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 08:38 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Eddy924 @ Feb 10 2017, 08:03 PM)
Do u guys think it's worth to pay little bit more sc (5.5 vs 2) on buying the funds with bank? Coz in FSM all depends on personal experience & awareness, while in bank at least there is one person ready for your enquiry, although noted FSM have client support channel via email, however recent enquiry reply like "copy paste" statement, I don't find their advice to me is constructive. But i aware lower SC = faster to break even, to see the return. And my investment plan start with minimal purchase then constantly dump in money for long term investment. Need some suggestion here, do u all start with self study on funds (through FSM) or learn from banker first?
No. Why? Most agents/financial adviser (which work at the bank) will ask you to buy even though the fund is not performing. Everytime you buy, they get commission (regardless the fund is good/bad/performing/not performing).

How do I get around this?
1) Read financial news. (bloomberg, cnbc, reuters, the edge - you can even buy their weekly copy able to get some income tax relief thumbsup.gif No time to run to the bookstore? Just get their digital version)
2) Ask around the forum, read the stocks forum, USD/MYR thread as anything affects US will affect the rest of the world. UT is stocks. Keep in mind that
3) Stick to your allocation.

If you really want advise, go seek out independent financial adviser without conflict of interest.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 10 2017, 08:39 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 09:14 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Feb 10 2017, 09:11 PM)
Not worried about long term ATM all, I'm more worried about my one day gain! This 4% drop can wipe out gains elsewhere in most portfolios it is in. TA SEA, CIMB APAC, CIMB CII all have it as a top 10 stockholding.
I think you need to let go that you cannot always profit everyday sweat.gif
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 09:24 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Feb 10 2017, 09:11 PM)
Not worried about long term ATM all, I'm more worried about my one day gain! This 4% drop can wipe out gains elsewhere in most portfolios it is in. TA SEA, CIMB APAC, CIMB CII all have it as a top 10 stockholding.
You should be worried if say something happen in the US/China. Then yes there's no escaping. Top 10 holding does not mean much. How I know? I was in your shoes. Attempt to "guess" the NAV price by looking at the top 10 holdings. Did it work?

Nope. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 10:56 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Feb 10 2017, 10:38 PM)
No I mean I am separately holding a solitary stock counter.

Btw if you read all the top investing books, it's better to hold less stocks that you are very confident about to maximise gains. This is what Warren Buffet preaches. Only those who don't know what they're really investing in, should own a diversified portfolio. Same applies to trust funds, and I fail miserably there!
Well there 2 schools of thought:
(i) Buy lots of fund and spread out your risk and still get double digit return (shown by a person here without any trading)
(ii) Buy min funds and still get double digit.

Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 11:03 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

FSM gave me an email regarding Manulife AP REITS meeting to increase no. of distribution/year sweat.gif doh.gif laugh.gif
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 11:14 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(AIYH @ Feb 10 2017, 11:05 PM)
Will be interested to know what is your view on this? tongue.gif

How will it impact the fund, if any at all? laugh.gif
I am always pro dividend cause it let me buy more units for holding long term. tongue.gif
But sadly I am not going to vote or buy anymore because my all Phillip SG stuff arrived and my account is ready tongue.gif rclxms.gif thumbup.gif Time to plan the withdrawal and next trip down to SG. drool.gif

Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 11:19 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(2387581 @ Feb 10 2017, 11:15 PM)
I guess trying to make the NAV looks attractive, and more uninformed investors see "wah dividends", money pouring in, more business, higher demand, drives up the price.
Yup. nod.gif
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 11:26 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ Feb 10 2017, 11:20 PM)
LOL.. one of these days I might join you.. how high can SGD/MYR get.. smile.gif
Well history have shown us AS LONG AS EVERYTHING IS THE SAME. Heck even Rp, THB, BAM (currency of Bosnia and Herzegovina) appreciated against RM doh.gif doh.gif Come come join me. 0% SC, 0% switching, 0% platform fees. biggrin.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 10 2017, 11:27 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 10 2017, 11:50 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Feb 10 2017, 11:41 PM)
Wow, careful there. Who's to say the Ringgit will not appreciate against the SGD going forward?
History have shown us. 50+ years of history is more than enough? Even if it appreciate, how long can the RM appreciate? It will be short term.
In asia, only HK can challenge SG to be asian financial hub (they are succeeding). In SEA, I don't see any country challenging them for that title.

With BNM treatment of the RM, it's scaring off foreign investors. To add salt to the wound, local exporters are not happy.

Not to burst your bubble but we have to look at cold hard facts.

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 10 2017, 11:53 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 11 2017, 03:37 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(xuzen @ Feb 11 2017, 02:34 PM)
Quite number of times I heard that investing in UTF is more expensive than buying stock market directly. So, let me do some number crunching for the benefit of all.

Stock-market
My knowledge of stock market is a bit out-dated and my info is based on my last time when I was a stock market participant through OSK Investment Bank (many years ago, and at that time, calling your broker on the phone is still common). The charge levied upon me is 0.6%. Min brokerage is MYR 40.00 per transaction. So, to maximize the transaction, each tranche should be 40 divided by 0.006 equal to MYR 6,666.67. Anything below this MYR 6,666.67 threshold, you will still pay MYR 40.00 broker fee as that is the minimum.

UTF
For UTF, you pay 2% entrance fee each time you inject fresh capital. MYR 2,000.00 x 2% equals to MYR 40.00. Lets say you pump in MYR 200.00 x 2% = MYR 4.00 entrance fee.

The above I want to highlight is that often people will say UTF fee is expensive. But they forget to put it into proper context or perspective. When you buy a stock, unless your capital injected per transaction is large, the percentage you pay as broker fee is actually more substantial than UTF.

If you are a small ikan-bilis player and only have like MYR 200 per month to invest, which method gives you a more cost efficient way  access to the stock market?

So, many are repeating something they read from somewhere or something they heard from someone, without further investigating, and they prematurely think that UTF is expensive.

Not so, if your amount is small. Stock can be more expensive. And don't forget, stock is charged both ways... that is entry and exit. So the total cost = 0.6 x 2 = 1.2%. Not that far from UTF.
Sure bo? Post by Dividend magic IFP.
http://dividendmagic.com.my/2017/01/13/inv...le-get-started/

Mutual Funds and their Damned Fees

You’ve probably heard of investments like mutual funds, target date funds, or index funds. You might even own some of them. All of these funds have fees (also called the expense ratio), and if you’re smart you can save money on them.

user posted image

Mutual funds are the worst (especially in Malaysia) because they rarely beat the market and usually have the highest fees, the average in Malaysia is a whopping 3%, I’ve seen some as high as 5%. These might all seem like insignificant numbers, so why does it even matter? It matters. Here, I’ll do some calculations to show you.

Let’s say you invest RM10,000 and earn 7% over 50 years.

0.0% fee: RM10,000 grows to RM294,570
1.0% fee: RM10,000 grows to RM184,202, and you lose RM110,369 in fees
2.0% fee: RM10,000 grows to RM114,674, and you lose RM179,896 in fees
3.0% fee: RM10,000 grows to RM71,066.83, and you lose RM223,503 in fees

I cannot emphasize how fees can kill your investments. I hope the above illustration will get through to my fellow investors out there. With a 2% fee, you’re essentially losing more than 50% of your investment to fees alone. What’s even worse is that the above example assumes you’re earning a 7% return p.a., what if you’re losing money? The funds still collect the fees from you! Isn’t that outrageous?

By investing in your own portfolio of shares, it means more money for you, less for the fund houses. Also to note are low cost Index Funds from companies like Vanguard that serve to mimic the market. The day that they come to Malaysia is the day I’ll dump most if not all of my savings into them.

(I understand some of you may be mutual fund agents and investors here so if you disagree, please do provide me your reasons for it. Don’t just send me hate messages and emails.)

Ramjade
post Feb 11 2017, 04:06 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(AIYH @ Feb 11 2017, 03:59 PM)
Just wish others can help me with some more info to make a more informed and convincing decision sweat.gif laugh.gif
But if you consider cost and experience from youngster standpoint (like us), mutual fund (provided you go with fsm/eunittrust to minimize fee) is a good starting point for investment.

Once you gather enough experience in analyzing and selecting stocks, then you can dump the mutual funds for that segment you invest smile.gif
Agreed. But don't shoot me. I just sharing Dividend Magic post. tongue.gif
Ramjade
post Feb 11 2017, 04:26 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(xuzen @ Feb 11 2017, 04:16 PM)
I have seen DividendMagic post here but rarely. I hope he can come and show me or us his working and let us scrutinize it. I wish to see his logic behind the numbers. I hope the dividendmagic poster is the same person who owns that blog.

But Ramjade, while waiting for DividendMagic to come back to us, reread my post again. Stock trading comes with a price. Unless you are the type who buys and holds it for umpteen years.

===========================

On another hand however, your post highlight one thing that is quite common, that is, many of you noobs will read somewhere some articles written by some omputeh who talks about low index fund, low fees bla bla bla and then repeat it here in Malaysia context without first investigating that those articles are written for a certain country specific context, namely US market.

Yes, in the US you have ultra low cost ETFs and whatsnot. What is my bug bear is many noobs will quote these articles and treat it as gospel truth and not realizing that those articles are written for a different geographical and demographically different audiences.

Xuzen
Well it's the same person. Agreed. Stock trading needs to take account into broker commission. There are some stocks which can hold for.

If one really buy and hold then buying index fund in malaysia is very feasible via local broker. Go through LSE and buy VWRD. No need to look so far into orang puteh. Our neighbour SG have their very own index fund which track the STI. There are lots of SG financial blogger who recommend buying STI index over buying SG UT. So actually if one really want to invest in ETF, it's quite possible.
Ramjade
post Feb 11 2017, 05:45 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(killdavid @ Feb 11 2017, 05:43 PM)
If you look at his Freedom fund which he was kind enough to share, his return for 2015 was about 2.x % and 2016 was 3.x %

So investing in stock was not as easy in real life when you factor in all the variables. If you are a talented investor then for sure. But for an average Joe, who wants a simpler path, then maybe informed passive investment in mutual fund is a worthy consideration.
That's just dividend. His capital gain + dividends - 14.69%

Gross Investment: RM297,777.83
Market Value: RM345,955.92
Dividends (2016): RM11,429.55
Dividend yield = 3.84%
Total Gain: 14.69%

Respectable for malaysian market notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 11 2017, 05:47 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 11:28 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Feb 12 2017, 11:18 AM)
I mean, those numbers are kinda iffy lah. Sure, the figures add up, but you must consider, how often can individual stockholders beat or match the market?

Read this article: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-why...gain-2017-02-09

Sure, I mean really if you got all the know-how and resources (knowledge + capital + contacts + experience) go directly into stocks, but those guys in Kenanga and Eastspring and CIMB Principal and Affin Hwang have got a dedicated team that visits factories and offices of small cap companies, meet up with senior management once every three months, have got insider contacts in each sector/industry, have extensive financial modelling programs, have access to Bloomberg terminals...need I go on?
I think you are missing the point. The thing is if you are holding for long term (dividend stocks), it will beat growth stocks.

user posted image

Got this off a SG financial blogger.
http://singaporeanstocksinvestor.blogspot.com/

Original website:
http://dividendmachines.com/

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 12 2017, 11:29 AM
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 01:38 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(ic no 851025071234 @ Feb 12 2017, 01:32 PM)
Agree with u on this. If dividend stocks can be growth stocks then there is no point investing in growth stocks. It's risk vs stability right.
Not necessarily. Dividend is how much the company want to give out. So if the company give out it's profit by say 90% (like in REITS), they have not much left to grow. If they give out say 30-40%, they still have 70-60% left over. UP to you whether you want all the income or let the company decide what's good for itself.
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 08:19 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(David3700 @ Feb 12 2017, 08:10 PM)
Hi Avangelice, may share your girlfriend portfolio ? My wife also wish to invest in UTs.
You can follow this allocation smile.gif
http://www.turtleinvestor.net/asset-allocation/

For the STI part, you can use
https://www.fundsupermart.com.my/main/fundi...Class-MYNAMSDEM

For fund performance, you can see the SG section
https://secure.fundsupermart.com/fsm/#!...actsheet/370190

Or you can do for her a "capital guaranteed" portfolio like his. biggrin.gif tongue.gif
http://www.turtleinvestor.net/i-started-a-...io-for-my-wife/

Even though we are in Malaysia, we can use the same principle. nod.gif

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 12 2017, 08:23 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 08:42 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(kai88 @ Feb 12 2017, 08:36 PM)
What is your annual return in percentage ?
It's in his blog. doh.gif Total returns = Dividend + capital gains = 14.xx%
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 08:53 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(AIYH @ Feb 12 2017, 08:34 PM)
Dividend Magic I do see you preach for dividend income investing as the principle of long term investment to generate income

But, to my understanding, when a company declare dividend, its' share price fell, and if we did not reinvest the dividend, our capital in investment actually shrink.

But if we reinvest the dividend back into it, then it makes minimal difference to those stocks which do not declare dividend, instead they spend their earning into capital growth (provided both non-dividend paying and dividend paying stock have the same capital gain percentage)

Then what is the fundamental difference in focusing in dividend stocks vs growth stocks when we reinvest the dividend, it will be the same as growth stock which didn't declare dividend? hmm.gif

p/s: asking this is because, whenever people understand about mutual funds, some companies focus on the distribution numbers and pay big dividend even though the fund is negatively performing (is it similar to companies who declare dividend even though they have negative earning for the year, but use previous years earning to pay). I believe that the distribution=performing misconception comes from their understanding from stocks investing when they think, it applies to stock, it applies to mutual funds as well, since, from what I understand, mutual funds distribution is meaningless and a marketing tactic to push down unit price  notworthy.gif
Xuzen did say dividend suppose to down but unlike UT where the NAV will drop, in share the stock can increase. Dividend is given out from the company income. Decrease income = lower/no dividend.
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 09:12 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

AIYH I think it's about demand, then you key in wrong value (higher price) so people willingly sell you their part.

QUOTE(David3700 @ Feb 12 2017, 09:08 PM)
Good. Should be a safe portfolio.
Actually I have the following in mind :

1. Esther bond - 40%
2. Ponzi 2.0 (Apac ex Jpn) - 20%
3. Ponzi 1.0 (ASEAN Small Cap) - 15%
4. AIF (Apac balanced) - 15%
5. East spring GEM (Emerging Market) - 10%

Target 8% return pa.....any comments please ?
If you are having AIF, no need for Ponzi 2, Ponzi 1
Where's your developed market?

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Feb 12 2017, 09:15 PM
Ramjade
post Feb 12 2017, 09:25 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

Avangelice, here you go. India will be taking another hit.http://www.thestar.com.my/news/world/2017/...indias-kashmir/

69 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1154sec    0.68    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:08 PM