Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

Please post GE14 related topics in the following new section ► https://forum.lowyat.net/MalaysiaVotes2018

8 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> T8 Fluorescent LED Tube Light replacement, Retrofitting LED tube to existing casing

sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 11:15 AM)
That's the shop in Kuchai Lama that I was referring to in one of my earlier post. Comparing your China 18w T8 tube, this Philips 20w will be brighter but don't expect a lot, roughly 20 -30% but still better and close to normal fluorescent tube.

I doubt with your current wiring setup, the Philips LED tube will light up as both Live & Neutral need on 1 side of the holder but your current wiring is L&N on each side separately. Alternatively, you could go for a local brand of T8 LED with 22w of 2000 lumens. Price is much less than Philips and quality close to it.
aiya...
already placed order from the lazada link that provided by you ..
haha...
hope wont damage during delivery ....

can teach how to connect the wiring from my current China T8 LED to Philip T8 LED ...appreciate ...

thanks ...

mot88
post Dec 30 2017, 11:34 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM)
can teach how to connect the wiring from my current China T8 LED to Philip T8 LED ...appreciate ...
thanks ...
Do refer to my modified post#79.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 12:09 PM

Casual

That's the shop in Kuchai Lama that I was referring to in one of my earlier post. Comparing your China 18w T8 tube, this Philips 20w will be brighter but don't expect a lot, roughly 20 -30% but still better and close to normal fluorescent tube.

I doubt with your current wiring setup, the Philips LED tube will light up as both Live & Neutral need on 1 side of the holder but your current wiring is L&N on each side separately. Alternatively, you could go for a local brand of T8 LED with 22w of 2000 lumens. Price is much less than Philips and quality close to it.

To modify, one side of the holder need to have both wires coming out and connect to 'L' and "N' from your electrical source and the other holder side leave it as dummy (wire not connected) .

If your holder only have 1 wire coming out and another wire no where to be seen, you may need to buy 1 holder with both wiring coming out from lighting / electrical shop which is usually very cheap.
Philip T8 LED input LN only at 1side ?another side just a socket holder only ?

i ordered Philip 20w T8 that C/W slim casing ...

China T8 LED will be 1side L and the other 1side N...
am i right ?

thanks ...

mot88
post Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 12:09 PM)
Philip T8 LED input LN only at 1side ?another side just a socket holder only ?

i ordered Philip 20w T8 that C/W slim casing ...
China T8 LED will be 1side L and the other 1side N...
am i right ?

thanks ...
Yes, Philips Led is Type B, LN is at one side. The seller usually will make sure the casing wiring is correct with the Philips T8 Led when both items brought together, so don't worry much.

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 30 2017, 01:33 PM
sgpdsmss
post Dec 30 2017, 02:02 PM

Casual

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM)
Yes, Philips Led is Type B, LN is at one side. The seller usually will make sure the casing wiring is correct with the Philips T8 Led when both items brought together, so don't worry much.
caused i need to add on tube ..so think might need to rewiring...

tube change from existing China tube to Philip tube ...need opencasing to check the wiring too...

just wait the Philip tube arrive then see how to fix it
get back to you when problem encounter...

thanks...
Camelia Chui
post Dec 31 2017, 04:05 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Dec 30 2017, 11:32 AM)
aiya...
already placed order from the lazada link that provided by you ..
haha...
hope wont damage during delivery ....

thanks ...
Hi, you just need to add another long wire from left to right will do.
I show you the wiring
Attached Image
sgpdsmss
post Dec 31 2017, 04:23 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Camelia Chui @ Dec 31 2017, 04:05 PM)
Hi, you just need to add another long wire from left to right will do.
I show you the wiring
Attached Image
the long wire is L or gnd?

thanks ..
advocado
post Jan 1 2018, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

To modify, one side of the holder need to have both wires coming out and connect to 'L' and "N' from your electrical source and the other holder side leave it as dummy (wire not connected) .

If your holder only have 1 wire coming out and another wire no where to be seen, you may need to buy 1 holder with both wiring coming out from lighting / electrical shop which is usually very cheap.
is T5 better or T8?

also you mention Philip T5 has different connection, majority T5 in the market has wires on 1 side or both side? what about their T8?

do T-5 have short & long length like T8 do?

This post has been edited by advocado: Jan 1 2018, 09:17 AM
sgpdsmss
post Jan 1 2018, 05:09 PM

Casual

QUOTE(mot88 @ Dec 30 2017, 01:26 PM)
Philip tube received ...

removed my existing casing install the casing came with tube ..

attached was my China T8 LED tube ...

thanks ....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
mot88
post Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 1 2018, 09:16 AM)
is T5 better or T8?

also you mention Philip T5 has different connection, majority T5 in the market has wires on 1 side or both side? what about their T8?

do T-5 have short & long length like T8 do?
T5 is slim version of T8 for Led. T5 comes with bracket 'LN' is at 1 side only as the main pupose of using T5 is to join the light side by side for kitchen cabinet /plaster ceiling cove lighting. Most if not all T5 led comes together with integrated bracket. The tube cannot be detached once its not functioning. Please check the T5 led at shop to understand better and the variety of lenghts available.Yes, T5 led is available in various lenghts.
Btw, this discussion is on T8.

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 1 2018, 05:09 PM)
Philip tube received ...

removed my existing casing install the casing came with tube ..

attached was my China T8 LED tube ...

thanks ....
Thanks for sharing. Havent seen this brand of T8 led tube before.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 2 2018, 12:17 PM
advocado
post Jan 2 2018, 12:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM)
T5 is slim version of T8 for Led. T5 comes with bracket 'LN' is at 1 side only as the main pupose of using T5 is to join the light side by side for kitchen cabinet /plaster ceiling cove lighting. Most if not all T5 led comes together with integrated bracket. The tube cannot be detached once its not functioning. Please check the T5 led at shop to understand better and the variety of lenghts available.Yes, T5 led is available in various lenghts.
oh no wonder so T5 all came with the LED & casing just like downlight? the whole tube just screw onto the surface you are mounting not into any casing like T8? when you say integrated means i can connect 2 T5 without additional wires just plug in? might be good for cabinets.

i was looking into T8 actually, those that when replace just pull out the tubes. are there T8 casing that supports both Fluorescent & LED without mods? is there any quality brands for T8 LED casing? T8 LED don't need Driver like Downlight do right? or Driver is in the casing?
sgpdsmss
post Jan 2 2018, 01:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 2 2018, 12:16 PM)
that tube purchased about 2years ago ...price about rm5x ..

after changed to Philip tube ...is more more bright compare old tube ...
the old tube top covered by heatsink..so the light transmit covered too ...
but ..the Philip one 360' light transmit..so more bright...

China glass T8 22w 2000lm price about rm16~rm18 per tube ..

22w VS 20w ...2w different ...Electrical bill will different a lot?

China T8 -> China T8 ..just plug n light up..
China T8 -> Philip T8 .. need re wiring ...

thanks ...
mot88
post Jan 3 2018, 03:36 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 2 2018, 12:29 PM)
i was looking into T8 actually, those that when replace just pull out the tubes. are there T8 casing that supports both Fluorescent & LED without mods? is there any quality brands for T8 LED casing? T8 LED don't need Driver like Downlight do right? or Driver is in the casing?
All T8 Led driver is embeeded inside the tube, i.e no external driver needed. Thats the advantage of using T8 led.
mot88
post Jan 3 2018, 10:25 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 2 2018, 01:32 PM)
that tube purchased about 2years ago ...price about rm5x ..

after changed to Philip tube ...is more more bright compare old tube ...
the old tube top covered by heatsink..so the light transmit covered too ...
but ..the Philip one 360' light transmit..so more bright...

China glass T8 22w 2000lm price about rm16~rm18 per tube ..

22w VS 20w ...2w different ...Electrical bill will different a lot?

China T8 -> China T8 ..just plug n light up..
China T8 -> Philip T8 .. need re wiring ...

thanks ...
2w is minimal. The price of 22w China/local 2000lm is much lower if you get it from main dealer. It does not make sense if it is same price as 20w Philips with but less 100lm.

This post has been edited by mot88: Jan 3 2018, 10:28 PM
sgpdsmss
post Jan 4 2018, 07:15 AM

Casual

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 3 2018, 10:25 PM)
2w is minimal. The price of 22w China/local 2000lm is much lower if you get it from main dealer. It does not make sense if it is same price as 20w Philips with but less 100lm.
actually for me rather go for China T8 ..caused my house wiring ready ..just plug n light ...

the Philip one need rewiring again...
but already install Philip one with casing ...

so other might go for China T8 22w ....

thanks ....
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 07:42 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sgpdsmss @ Jan 4 2018, 07:15 AM)
actually for me rather go for China T8 ..caused my house wiring ready ..just plug n light ...

the Philip one need rewiring again...
but already install Philip one with casing ...

so other might go for China T8 22w ....

thanks ....
Please keep in mind when selecting LED Tube on these criteria
1. Power Factor
PHILIPS EcoFit has low PF compared to their other range such as InstaFit. I can’t recall as I have left PHILIPS in 2016.
2. CRI (Color Rendering Index)
This will give you a better rendering of color if it’s 70 and above
3. THD (Total harmonic Distortion)
For home usage, I will skip this part

Good to know that there are so much choices in the market. In fact, PHILIPS LEDtube are ODM by Aztech and other manufacturers. Even GE is OEM by FSL if I’m not mistaken.

frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 07:49 AM

Getting Started

Cons: magnetic ballast consume 6-8 watt in additional to led tube wattage. I am not sure if the life of the tube is shorter using this method but the function of ballast is only limiting the current flow. LED need less current than normal tube

Correction - ballast will not run at 6-8watt but instead contribute 1w as the current draw from the LEDTube is lower. Hence the resistance on the ballast is lower.

Secondly as the ballast act as step down transformer, there is no impact on the LEDTube lifetime. Unless the ballast is pretty worn out and need to be replaced. After all nowadays magnetic ballast (even tho low loss) the material used are inferior compared to last time.

With the ballast, it also act as a layer of defence against surge.
sgpdsmss
post Jan 4 2018, 07:55 AM

Casual

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 07:42 AM)
Please keep in mind when selecting LED Tube on these criteria
1. Power Factor
PHILIPS EcoFit has low PF compared to their other range such as InstaFit. I can’t recall as I have left PHILIPS in 2016.
2. CRI (Color Rendering Index)
This will give you a better rendering of color if it’s 70 and above
3. THD (Total harmonic Distortion)
For home usage, I will skip this part

Good to know that there are so much choices in the market. In fact, PHILIPS LEDtube are ODM by Aztech and other manufacturers. Even GE is OEM by FSL if I’m not mistaken.
ive 0 knowledge on the items listed 1,2 and 3...

for me ...the light emit cover large area ...and bright consider good ..

haha...

thanks for the info ...
frostier
post Jan 4 2018, 09:08 AM

Getting Started

No problem. Glad to share.
advocado
post Jan 4 2018, 09:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(frostier @ Jan 4 2018, 09:08 AM)
No problem. Glad to share.
for the T8 casing, do you utilize all 3 wires including Earth? since LED normally only have Live & neutral. do you connect the earth to some screws on the metal casing?

8 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0877sec    4.01    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 08:13 PM