Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> T8 Fluorescent LED Tube Light replacement, Retrofitting LED tube to existing casing

nuke13
post Aug 24 2017, 08:57 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(mot88 @ Aug 23 2017, 11:58 PM)
I have changed normal halogen mr16 25w with Philips led mr16 5w. No issue just plug and play.As long as the wattage is not higher than the halogen transformer can support. Normal transformer (aka driver) for halogen supports till 60w.
Thanks!! thumbup.gif
wirahijau
post Aug 30 2017, 08:45 PM

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Aug 13 2017, 12:03 PM)
MR DIY store is selling Philips Ecofit for RM11.50
Anyone got info Mr DIY around Selayang that still got stock this Phillips ecofit as in Selayang mall finish already
jason1986
post Aug 30 2017, 10:34 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

https://www.facebook.com/100valuelighting/?flyingspaghettimonster=py_c

go check it out.

Philips with casing only rm12. Their in house brand t8 only RM5.90 + Rm3 for casing if u need.

Downlight 12watt only RM9.90.

Promo supposed to be for August only. Not sure they are open tomorrow or not. call them to ask.
wirahijau
post Aug 31 2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks bro
b0rhui
post Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM

On my way

Dear all sifus here notworthy.gif

I'd love to retrofit t8 led tubes into my existing magnetic ballast housing (with starter).

From my understanding above, if I choose to go with philips ecofit 16w, the only option is method 1 removing the starter. But it has cons such as ballast going failure, ballast consuming more wattage. So if I wanna remove the ballast and rewire I have to get type A LED tubes, right?

I currently use 10 x 18W T8 2ft tubes and 6 x 36W T8 4ft tubes. Would it actually be worthwhile to pay more for the LED tubes?

flowerhorn08
post Oct 4 2017, 09:13 AM

Getting Started

Dear all sifus here notworthy.gif

I'd love to retrofit t8 led tubes into my existing magnetic ballast housing (with starter).

From my understanding above, if I choose to go with philips ecofit 16w, the only option is method 1 removing the starter. But it has cons such as ballast going failure, ballast consuming more wattage. So if I wanna remove the ballast and rewire I have to get type A LED tubes, right?

The Philips Ecofit can be fitted without using the ballast. I have actually join the 2 wires connecting the ballast directly. However, the power saving from using the ballast and not using the ballast with the Ecofit LED lamp is negligible, in terms of mW.

I currently use 10 x 18W T8 2ft tubes and 6 x 36W T8 4ft tubes. Would it actually be worthwhile to pay more for the LED tubes?

If you concern about the initial capital investment of the tubes, why don't you change the tubes only when it become faulty? Or only change the existing tubes that you switch on for long time daily to justify the cost.

By doing so, no wastage in term of the fluorescent tubes lying around and minus the RM11.50 per tube investment. Bear in mind the luminance of the LED tube is lower than the fluorescent tube but the power consumed is less than half the conventional tube. (16 W versus 40 W)

jimmylim85
post Oct 4 2017, 11:26 PM

iPhone world....

QUOTE(b0rhui @ Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM)
Dear all sifus here  notworthy.gif

the ballast is going to give you a headache when is spoilt, it causes your Electric Circuit Breaker tripped!

best way is just mod your existing T8 Housing simply by removing the starter and ballast connection. wire LIVE and Neutral in opposite direction. there must be no connection in between this both T8 holder point! I do this method everytime cause i'm lazy to replace a new T8 housing which is thinner and less sturdy.

Don't go with Philips EcoFit 16W and new cheap 18W LED around RM 6.90 is so dimmed is pretty useless. I'm currently using latest T8 LED 28Watt which cost around RM 16 - RM 25. The brightness is comparable or even way better than your fluorescent 36W tube. Dont skimp on wattage when they cant illuminate better than your existing fluorescent tube!
jimmylim85
post Oct 4 2017, 11:29 PM

iPhone world....

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 4 2017, 09:13 AM)
Dear all sifus here  notworthy.gif

The Philips Ecofit can be fitted without using the ballast. I have actually join the 2 wires connecting the ballast directly. However, the power saving from using the ballast and not using the ballast with the Ecofit LED lamp is negligible, in terms of mW. 

If you concern about the initial capital investment of the tubes, why don't you change the tubes only when it become faulty? Or only change the existing tubes that you switch on for long time daily to justify the cost.

By doing so, no wastage in term of the fluorescent tubes lying around and minus the RM11.50 per tube investment. Bear in mind the luminance of the LED tube is lower than the fluorescent tube but the power consumed is  less than half the conventional tube. (16 W versus 40 W)

The reason everybody is going into LED tube is due to energy efficiency and less maintenance. You don't have to worry around 6 - 12 months problem whether is tube or starter or even worst, the ballast doh.gif

Fluorescent tube problem is slow to turn up the light, blink once or twice before it shines. Where else the LED tube is turns on the spot. LED light has improved day by day. LED light is less prone to electric static interference too.
flowerhorn08
post Oct 5 2017, 12:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jimmylim85 @ Oct 4 2017, 11:26 PM)
the ballast is going to give you a headache when is spoilt, it causes your Electric Circuit Breaker tripped!

best way is just mod your existing T8 Housing simply by removing the starter and ballast connection. wire LIVE and Neutral in opposite direction. there must be no connection in between this both T8 holder point! I do this method everytime cause i'm lazy to replace a new T8 housing which is thinner and less sturdy.

Don't go with Philips EcoFit 16W and new cheap 18W LED around RM 6.90 is so dimmed is pretty useless. I'm currently using latest T8 LED 28Watt which cost around RM 16 - RM 25. The brightness is comparable or even way better than your fluorescent 36W tube. Dont skimp on wattage when they cant illuminate better than your existing fluorescent tube!
What brand is the T8 LED 28 W. Any recommendation where I can buy it at RM16?
jimmylim85
post Oct 5 2017, 02:04 PM

iPhone world....

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 5 2017, 12:30 PM)
What brand is the T8 LED 28 W. Any recommendation where I can buy it at RM16?
Can't recall the brand but the end plastic cover is gold colour not being white. Brand wasn't an issue, just get 24Watt or 28Watt. RM 16 I got in warehouse bulk
flowerhorn08
post Oct 6 2017, 10:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jimmylim85 @ Oct 5 2017, 02:04 PM)
Can't recall the brand but the end plastic cover is gold colour not being white. Brand wasn't an issue, just get 24Watt or 28Watt. RM 16 I got in warehouse bulk
Gold end plastic....that's really a rare find.

I guess it will be selling RM20 plus in retail.

jimmylim85
post Oct 6 2017, 03:55 PM

iPhone world....

QUOTE(flowerhorn08 @ Oct 6 2017, 10:50 AM)
Gold end plastic....that's really a rare find.

I guess it will be selling RM20 plus in retail.
Gold or yellow end plastic to distinguish from standard ones. I even bought 24W for rm 25 each back in Kluang doh.gif but roughly rm 20 ++ for brighter LED is acceptable.

mot88
post Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM

Getting Started

Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100 for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

The next question is where to get? There is one Philips authorised reseller in Kuchai Lama (opposite of De Tropicana condo, also nearby NSK), which item can be order if not in stock. Heads up they normally serves more to contractor, so don't expect very good service from them, i.e tell them what you want, pay and leave the store.

Philips Led 2017 catalogue

This post has been edited by mot88: Oct 7 2017, 12:03 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
mot88
post Oct 7 2017, 12:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(b0rhui @ Oct 3 2017, 11:13 PM)
Dear all sifus hereĀ  notworthy.gif

All Philips LED using 'B' type of connection (ie "1 sided connection" as per video in page 2 of this thread).

To retrofit existing bracket,
Option (i) simplest, replace the normal starter to the EMP starter supplied by Philips.
Option (ii) more economical, take out the 'L' wire 'to' and 'from' ballast and join the wire together (ie bypassing the ballast)

However, if EMP or LED starter (not to be confused with the normal starter) missing or not supplied for whatever reason, do supply the 'N' to the same side as the 'L'.

Left Side
Pin 1: Live
Pin 2: Neutral
or
Pin 1: Neutral
Pin 2: Live

Right Side
Pin 3: Dummy (no need power supply)
Pin 4: Dummy (no need power supply)

This post has been edited by mot88: Oct 7 2017, 12:20 AM
flowerhorn08
post Oct 8 2017, 07:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(mot88 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM)
Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100  for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

The next question is where to get? There is one Philips authorised reseller in Kuchai Lama (opposite of De Tropicana condo, also nearby NSK), which item can be order if not in stock. Heads up they normally serves more to contractor, so don't expect very good service from them, i.e tell them what you want, pay and leave the store.

What I see is The Philip Ecofit (LED High Output) is equivalent to Philips fluorescent tube Super Bright (Green End cap also). Difference is Philip Super Bright fluorescent tube consumes same electricity as normal Philips normal tube ( silver color cap) while Ecofit LED High Output consumes slightly more electricity as stand Ecofit series.

That being said, I think it still worth for the price and brightness stated. Just too bad I can't try it out as it is COMING SOON. hmm.gif
PsyvhopathySTAR
post Nov 3 2017, 10:05 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(mot88 @ Jan 18 2017, 10:14 PM)
In summary for majority of household, one could just remove the starter to fit in a T8 LED tube without additional modification.

A normal fluorescent tube is around RM 6 to RM 8 and a decent quality LED tube is around RM 15 to RM 25. Do look for 2000 lumens type if you having high ceiling. Typical a normal LED tube is only 1600 lumens. 2000 lumens led tube is on par or exceed the brightness of normal T8 Philips Bright boost tube (green end cap model)

It is worthwhile to replace your normal T8 if the tube is blown or you are using it very often. Other than savings money, LED tube is longer lifespan and instant start, without the annoying blinking moment. Also useful if you frequently switch on and off the light, eg in kitchen or bathroom.
Thank you for the illustration LED is so much better rather than incandescent light or fluorescent light. and as far as I know, LED's lights
last around 20 times longer and consume up to 90% less energy when compared to halogen or incandescent lighting, which helps you save money on your energy bills. While still maintaining similar levels of light quality, and they also come in a wide variety of unique colors, meaning you can achieve a great look to your applications. so this is so much better. Try this site https://www.sompor.com/led-basic/ as it may tell you the basic of LED's
vex
post Dec 4 2017, 06:53 PM

Regular

Ah... I plug ecofit with eletronic ballast without bypass, fried 1 t8..sob sob.
janson_kaniaz
post Dec 25 2017, 10:34 PM

QUOTE(mot88 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:21 PM)
Philips T8 Led has gone down in price in 2017. There is a higher lumen of 2100  for RM 17.50 that is coming soon. Noted most shop has not reduce the price following Philips recommended price. This includes big hypermarket.

Where to get such price? I see supermarkets are still selling the old model for ~RM20.
sgpdsmss
post Dec 27 2017, 08:10 AM

Casual

any one can share photo for T8 LED 28 W ?

thanks ...
mot88
post Dec 28 2017, 09:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(janson_kaniaz @ Dec 25 2017, 10:34 PM)
Where to get such price? I see supermarkets are still selling the old model for ~RM20.
The new 20w Brightboost T8 Led is available on lazada. It is priced RM80 for 5 pc (RM17/pc) which is lower than Philips recommended price of RM 17.50/ pc.
This 20w version output is 2100lm compared to 16w of only 1600lm. It also comes with LED starter or EMP. Avoid the 16w as it is dimmer than standard fluorescent.

Lazada T8 20w Philips T8

This post has been edited by mot88: Dec 28 2017, 09:12 PM

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1043sec    5.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 10:03 AM