- All About Harddisk Thread V4, Discussion for Good Harddisk (Jan 2012 - Nov 2016)
- All About Harddisk Thread V3, Discussion for Good Harddisk (Jun 2010 - Jan 2012)
- All About Harddisk Thread V2, Discussion for Good Harddisk (Oct 2008 - Jun 2010)
- Discussion for Good Harddisk, Harddisk Discussion (Oct 2005 - Oct 2008)
- Information about Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test by dkk.
- Information about Seagate's Seatools for Windows and Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows by dkk.
Maximum transfer speed: 16, 33, 66, 100, 133 MB/s
- SATA 1.5 Gbps aka SATA 1 aka SATA I
Maximum transfer speed: 150 MB/s
- SATA 3.0 Gbps aka SATA 2 aka SATA II
Maximum transfer speed: 300 MB/s
- SATA 6.0 Gbps aka SATA 3 aka SATA III
Maximum transfer speed: 600 MB/s
"S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system for computer hard disk drives to detect and report on various indicators of reliability, in the hope of anticipating failures."
- 4.0 TB = 3,725.29 GiB
- 3.0 TB = 2,793.96 GiB
- 2.0 TB = 1,862.65 GiB
- 1.5 TB = 1,396.98 GiB
- 1.0 TB = 931.32 GiB
- 750 GB = 698.49 GiB
- 640 GB = 596.05 GiB
- 500 GB = 465.66 GiB
- 320 GB = 298.02 GiB
- Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population
"In this paper we present one such study by examining the population of hard drives under deployment within Google's computing infrastructure."