Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

All About Harddisk Thread V5

views

Maxieos
post Dec 22 2016, 11:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

I wanted to ask a few question.Now all external hard disk having USB solder into it , like WD element and seagate slim.
Which external hard disk still able to take out as it was using sata port and use as PC or Laptop ?

Wanted to find one.

Maxieos
post Dec 24 2016, 11:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(kianweic @ Dec 23 2016, 04:43 PM)
You can get a cover and an internal HDD separately which uses SATA cable instead of USB.

I would still go with USB given that it is more widely available on other systems. USB3.0 or USB3.1 is more than sufficient for normal usage.
I wanted to save some $ and have extra warranty for it.Lets say WD element having sata port.It'd be much cheaper than buying a hard disk + cover.Besides WD element have 3 years of warranty compare to internal sata 2 years.
Too bad WD element does not have sata in it.More over , even after the warranty , can be use as internal drive.

What do you think ? which external hard disk currently using sata ?
Maxieos
post Jan 1 2017, 08:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(kianweic @ Dec 25 2016, 06:37 AM)
My view it is not worth doing. You won't be getting much out of it.

Read / write speed may increased but not significant.

If you were using SSD then I would say it is worth it.
I found out current WD 1TB blue Hard disk having some kind of weird reading sound which is not a reading/write mechanical sound rather it is like a disc spining whining sound while reading/writing.
It's a new technolgy/firmware which read data having those whine sound ? Newly WD 1TB HD having same kind of reading sound for model EZEX or something.
Maxieos
post Jan 1 2017, 09:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(kianweic @ Jan 1 2017, 08:40 PM)
I doubt the new technology / firmware would have made the HDD noisier. Better checking the health of the HDD via HDDScan.
It's not nosier , it's the read/write sound. Normal hard disk seeking is like mechanical cranking sound but it's on whining sound.No cranking but coil whining when r/w

btw , I would like to ask about pro and cons on WD rainbow color type.Most website only mention their different but about the cons for the hard disk firmware , non of them mention.Whether it jump on seeking or less intelligent on firmware.

Take example , can a Purple surveillance WD use as storing media files vs WD Green as media storage ?
Maximun read/write TB for a specific hard disk and etc ? 1 day achieving 2TB r/w ? PCB board quality and etc.

This post has been edited by Maxieos: Jan 1 2017, 10:38 PM
Maxieos
post Jan 16 2017, 08:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(kianweic @ Jan 2 2017, 06:20 AM)
1. Can a Purple surveillance WD use as storing media files vs WD Green as media storage ?
I would think so. Purple should be more durable but I have never owned any WD purple.

2. Maximum read/write TB for a specific hard disk and etc ? 1 day achieving 2TB r/w ? PCB board quality and etc.
This is too technical for me.

I have only used WD Blue and WD Red for archiving and have several of them which failed after their warranties have lapsed.
Thanks and also What is the did different between HGST 2.5 internal hard disk vs WD 2.5 ? which brand do you recommend ?
Using for external storage.

some list and price
HGST 32M / 7200RPM 265
SEAGATE 5400RPM 265
WD 8M / 5400RPM 249
WD 16M / 7200RPM 302
Maxieos
post Apr 9 2017, 10:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(darkskies @ Mar 16 2017, 09:48 PM)
It wasn't just seagate. Seems to me western digital was screwing up as well. Their blue and green series seems to be a junk series that have been rma very frequently. After 1 years sharp, it'll die. Some last till 2 years mark and fail very punctually. Nice strategy of western digital to be calculative to make you dump your hdd after 2years.
This seems to be a joint collaboration strategy made by western digital and seagate because Harddisk price fell like dirt cheap. In order to secure their revenue, they made rainbow color and gothic names model with different price range. But nicely, none of the harddisk will ever survive past a legendary 10 years mark. You pay RM100-200 with a bigger space gb, it'll bound to fail after 1-2 years. You pay 200-300 ,it'll fail after 3-4 years. You pay 300-500 , it'll fail after 7 years. The manufacturers such as seagate and western digital knows that nowadays, it's hard for everyone to live without 1 tb. It's a common storage numbers. So in order have free flow of money coming into their company, they design their hdd to die after certain cycle of useage.
If what you mention was really happening , does a big company like Cloud storage earing ?

Eg , 1TB for google drive per year.Most part will be raid as for cloud storage which it'll be 1+1TB or 2 hard drive.If it tend to fail within 1-2 years sharp the cost of earning will be lower.
Surely there are some extra stuff which I didn't add in example power consume , maintenance , security and etc.
Hard disk maybe in a better warranty state + contract with hard disk OEM.

I am not too good in understanding on HDD hopefully someone will explain more in deep.
Maxieos
post Apr 13 2017, 01:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(darkskies @ Apr 10 2017, 09:50 PM)
You assuming Google uses the same Sata hdd as you do?  I believe they uses top notch server built storage that last very long and have very low failure rate. It's business and those storage runs 24/7 around the clock.  Normal hdd like ours if used in their server will die in a week or perhaps could not last through 3 days. Yeap it's raid which means wearing up the spin cycle even further more. Besides,  I'm unsure if our normal hdd could even fit into Google servers.. It needs to be hot swappable without the need to down the servers.  I believe neither ahci nor ide provide such convenience to be hot swappable without booting off windows. Maybe USB but I don't think Google is dumb enough to have USB all over the servers to contain the huge amount of storage space just for the convenience of hot swappable.

I dont know , what i saw at the video is using normal HD like us.Did I saw it wrongly ? Still someone care to explain how to earn if cloud was to run non stop ?
Electric bill cost , drive failure within 2 years and etc ?
Maxieos
post Nov 7 2018, 05:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

Just to ask , any manufacturer guideline or warning of limit safe zone on a hard disk transfer perday ?
I create a thread but I doubt someone have knowledge to reply it.Hope Hardisk community here can give a few suggestion.

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4687896

I read even some newly bought 1TB external hard disk , if transfer 1 shot of 500GB backup will even corrupt the hard disk.
Maxieos
post Mar 30 2019, 08:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

1024kbps , Boldnut
Anyone use before https://www.seagate.com/as/en/internal-hard-drives/rescue/ ?
Saw some selling at lazad , which hard disk will it support ? can it extend the data recovery ?
Simple how it works , lets say I bought a hard disk a yer ago , buy this plan apply the serial number for the old harddisk then anything happen can get recover ?
Maxieos
post Apr 2 2019, 12:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ Mar 31 2019, 12:51 AM)
Most likely limited to Seagate IronWolf series? the models are listed on website.

For data backup, Windows 10 provide some protections like File History, which existed since W7 era, System Restore and Software RAID(within Disk Management), Storage Space, ect...
But some of these require multiple drives.

For Cloud you can use google cloud.

TL;DR, local backup are much faster and third party data recovery, unless your time is not critical.
when comes to data recovery it also cover accident like HD drop and etc.But seldom people move around a NAS IronWolf.
If I look at it , it give even more warranty on data.
Lets say the fifth year , then I buy the data recovery , it means anything happen I can still recover the data at the 6th and 7th year.
Isn't it useful ?
3rd party recovery cost a lot and the seagate is free.
QUOTE(Boldnut @ Apr 1 2019, 10:45 AM)
only Iron wolf series.

If you are afraid of your data is loss due to HDD failure, buy another HDD as hard backup. Either run as raid 1 or just mirror copy it. 2 HDDs is much safer than trying to buy Data recovery insurance.
Offline back up much safer.
I remember a forum member on raid NAS drive suddenly lightning strike both HDD data gone . sad.gif
I was hoping for price drop on Cloud backup with a cheaper price but almost few years , it's still the same.Google drive 1TB still $9.99 covert yearly is >RM500
Too expensive.Never have a price drop.I can't find a cheap cloud storage.

The best is to have 3 backup now adays.You don't know what happen if using NAS or something like a sudden flash flood , lightning strikeAll gone.
NAS + Offline + Cloud.Best is NAS link to cloud.

Forgot to ask other questions
1. Those cheaper external hard disk like segate 2TB 2.5 portable , all are solder USB 3.0.How do you guys actually manage to recover the data ?
2. Why does those 2TB 2.5 portable price so much cheaper compare to on 2TB sata. RM 259 portable vs RM 370 for 2TB ?
3. Do you guys buy HDD from online store like laz or shopeee ? Which shop do a the best hard disk packing with extra bubble wrap or better QC ?

This post has been edited by Maxieos: Apr 2 2019, 12:43 AM
Maxieos
post Apr 4 2019, 03:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

1024kbps , Boldnut
It looks like WD blue 2TB is lock the Intellipark 8 second.
Now we can't change it "wdidle3"

Anyone mange to change to 30 second instate of 8 second default ? .
Maxieos
post Apr 9 2019, 01:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ Apr 4 2019, 11:46 PM)
It depend on your usage, if it ain't broken, don't fix.
typical usage don't really kill your hdd, the OS and the hdd controller will handle it nicely,
Your hdd only do works when instructed, eg read caching, and write cache flushing, the caching is designed to increase performance and reduce strain in hdd, afaik.

I think you're just paranoid  sweat.gif
Maybe , but the load/unload cycle is around 3k or 4-5 times more than 1tb blue when count on time usage hours.
As for budget HDD which one will be better seagate or WD ? Seagate 2TB = 7200rpm while WD 2TB = 5400rpm.
Maxieos
post May 19 2019, 12:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

Sometimes I feel those external hard disk from wd or sg have some weird pricing.

Same old question on how they market the price

Can someone tell me why does an external WD/Sgate hard disk 2TB cost RM240-270 while one Sata 2.5 hard disk 2TB cost RM350-370 ?
The sata 2.5 internal hard disk does not have cover , same rpm speed and even need to spend more on a connector.

Why price is much cheaper on build in external hard disk ? if you said build quality on external hard disk is low.How low will it be until a price of RM100-150 less compare to normal sata 2.5 2TB ?

I member before all USB3 solder port , all are using normal sata interface with connector.Does a sata firmware board/connector worth an extra rm150 ?

Pricing problem ?
1024kbps ,super macgyver
Maxieos
post May 22 2019, 01:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ May 19 2019, 12:58 PM)
2TB here is a bit more expensive, but just a few more dollar.
I never opened external HDD before so i can't comment much lol. My Toshiba 2TB and WD element 1TB (PS4 ext drive) still alive after half of the decades, WD Blue and Toshiba 2.5'' drive are much more durable than i though.
I never unplug them so their life expectancy is prolonged.-

Bigger drive probably can put more low density platter, rather than 1 high density platter.
High density platter might have lower yield thus increase cost, just like cpu, and hi res monitor (>1440p) which cost lot more than  FHD monitor. but when yield improved the cost will decrease.

But those are just my assumption, I don't work in IT industry, but loosely connected sweat.gif
What I mean the range of price.

2.5 inch sata sgate 2TB = RM350
2.5 inch usb3 sgate/WD passport/element/backup plus = RM250-270 range.

Why does sata cost RM100 extra more ? an external drive plus casing and board for usb3 is even cheaper than sata ?
Logically , more component = higher price.

Maybe your HD depends on usage and manufacturer date which last long.As state , if a usb3 external HD not able to detect , how to back up ?
Maxieos
post May 24 2019, 11:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ May 22 2019, 08:00 AM)
I never bought an Seagate hdd before so i can't comment on this,
Normally if you back up imports ant files, you would make multiple copies of it, not just in to a super fragile external hdd, it's no different from writing important note then put it at kitchen.
Back up To a cloud, to a raid 1 hdd, nas, ect,
I know most of what you meant but I am doubt and wanted some expert here to justify the reason behind of high price on sata HD vs external hard disk + USB3 PCB casing and the price range different is RM150.
Maxieos
post Aug 12 2020, 06:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,667 posts

QUOTE(1024kbps @ Aug 11 2020, 07:33 PM)
buy online lah, wd an shitgate is third rate hdd now, unless you buy them for RAID or want to discard after warranty ends,
better get something else.
Some online seller even on mall sell HD price as expensive as rm400 for 2TB.Better make sure the current price first https://shopee.com.my/Toshiba-P300-Internal...0031.1470450634 . I wonder , why they sell so expensive for a hard disk ?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 PM