Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

119 Pages « < 103 104 105 106 107 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Venturing into Agriculture & Aquaculture, Co-Ordination & Implementation is KEY

views

xeroxphan
post Feb 22 2015, 12:54 AM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(H3lpM3 @ Feb 22 2015, 12:11 AM)
very nice!

thats a large farm

a few questions hope you dont mind:
is this the first batch?
how long have you been in this industry?
who to and how do you sell them?
profitable so far?

thanks
Yes this is my first batch. I'm new to chili planting but not agriculture. I took agronomy in college. So far we do have a couple of suppliers we can sell to, a local guy and also to Selayang. Fingers cross, this is our biggest planting yet, with the current price, we expect to be profitable, given that we meet our production of at least 2kg per plant.
H3lpM3
post Feb 22 2015, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
254 posts

QUOTE(xeroxphan @ Feb 22 2015, 12:54 AM)
Yes this is my first batch. I'm new to chili planting but not agriculture. I took agronomy in college. So far we do have a couple of suppliers we can sell to, a local guy and also to Selayang. Fingers cross, this is our biggest planting yet, with the current price, we expect to be profitable, given that we meet our production of at least 2kg per plant.
thanks for the replies

so far what is your challanges that you are facing?
any tips and tricks how to do chilli planting venture successfully? I mean in commercial stand point from planting to selling
xeroxphan
post Feb 22 2015, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(H3lpM3 @ Feb 22 2015, 11:32 AM)
thanks for the replies

so far what is your challanges that you are facing?
any tips and tricks how to do chilli planting venture successfully? I mean in commercial stand point from planting to selling
Yo, wouldn't say I am successful, yet. Challenges occur at different stages of the planting. So far, we only have some small pest and disease issues. And because we are in a partnership, we do bound to have some disagreements. But nothing serious so far.
Michael J.
post Feb 22 2015, 10:03 PM

On my way
596 posts

Hi all,

Firstly, Happy CNY to all! Good to see the thread still moving along. Have been away from the digital sphere as I'm in the final stages of defending my project. Will be presenting for potential commercialization research funding this April.

Now, getting on to the questions:

hunter087:
As ah_suknat has rightly pointed out, getting funding from the government is quite a sticky matter. Not only are there specific bodies/agencies for specific agriculture produce or groups of agriculture produce, there are also specific marketing, licensing, training, advisory and funding paths to take.

For instance, if you are going into say... cocoa plantation, you will need to speak with the Malaysian Cocoa Board. Not only can they help you identify the suitable areas for cocoa, they will also provide you with free cocoa seedlings, training, and then later on, advisory services. Heck, they'd even buy back your crop at a premium. If you tried talking with AgroBank or DOA, chances are they won't be of much help.

The alternative approach as highlighted by Mr Farmer, and depending on whether you want to become a "tool" or not, is to approach political parties.

Other than that, you could go to banks mandated by the government to fund such enterprises. Agrobank is by the far the most well known, but Bank Rakyat also does consider funding such businesses on a case-by-case basis. SME Bank will consider funding the business, if you have a processing component.

iyeap:
The toxic plant has white flowers. The purple-flowered plant is a thistle, a common field weed.

ah_suknat:
I'm so sorry to hear that, man... Is it because of the weather or environment? Or natural biology?

Anyway ayam kampung is a lucrative, yet rather cut-throat business these days. Lucrative enough that many unscrupulous broiler farms are selling fake ayam kampung to consumers at sharply discounted prices (yet extremely profitable to them). And consumers don't usually know or question the origin of those chickens; after all, if standard ayam kampung goes for RM15/kg, and you get someone selling them at RM12/kg, would you make a fuss?

And truthfully, how sure can the consumer be about the origins of the chicken being sold as ayam kampung? They can only judge it purely on the perceived credibility of the seller. Depending on the breed used, it is quite difficult for the untrained eye to differentiate which is ayam kampung and which isn't (Holland Reds have meat and skin most similar to ayam kampung).

If you are interested to find out more, you could refer to DQ Farms about how they run their business, the problems they faced with counterfeits, and how they overcame those issues in the end.

CS.Lee:
Do you intend to manage the farm full time, or only on weekends? If it is the latter, then lease it out to someone else and earn rent; or go into partnership with someone that will manage it full time.

In agriculture, Murphy's Law is highly applicable:- If something can go wrong, it usually will. And in agriculture, a lot of things can go wrong. With no knowledgeable and fully dedicated person on hand to problem solve, agriculture will be a most unprofitable business.

ah_suknat:
I am uncertain where to get commercial quantities of black soldier flies, but I've typically encountered them on oil palm plantations. They were part of the IPM strategy used for plantations in the past, and have since become commonplace.
mrtan917
post Feb 23 2015, 12:43 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(H3lpM3 @ Feb 22 2015, 12:11 AM)
very nice!

thats a large farm

a few questions hope you dont mind:
is this the first batch?
how long have you been in this industry?
who to and how do you sell them?
profitable so far?

thanks
Beware of Mosaic virus. Hardly control infection.
https://www.plantvillage.com/en/topics/chil...ses_propagation

MrFarmer
post Feb 24 2015, 03:01 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(ah_suknat @ Feb 1 2015, 04:33 PM)
how did you make lost?

you feed them commercial feed?
We had a caretaker, but things isn't moving well, can't even pay for the helper's salary. Made about 9k lost in a period of 1 yr 9 months. My partner is organizing it. We feed them just a bit of commercial feed & corn, mostly for calling them home, i was told.

Anyway, he is re-organizing it. I think could be the marketing channel, did not explore it for maximum volume / selling price.
MrFarmer
post Feb 25 2015, 03:34 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(xeroxphan @ Feb 22 2015, 04:09 PM)
Yo, wouldn't say I am successful, yet. Challenges occur at different stages of the planting. So far, we only have some small pest and disease issues. And because we are in a partnership, we do bound to have some disagreements. But nothing serious so far.
Hi Xeroxphan, had been looking into fertigation, which I guess should be able to take care of the soil born disease. On you fertigation, where is your water source from? Pipe water? or own source?
xeroxphan
post Feb 25 2015, 10:24 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(MrFarmer @ Feb 25 2015, 03:34 PM)
Hi Xeroxphan, had been looking into fertigation, which I guess should be able to take care of the soil born disease. On you fertigation, where is your water source from? Pipe water? or own source?
We source it from a nearby pond.
MrFarmer
post Feb 26 2015, 03:16 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(xeroxphan @ Feb 25 2015, 10:24 PM)
We source it from a nearby pond.
Do you treat the water 1st?
How do you handle nozzle / pipe clog?
Pesticide & Fungicide control?
Michael J.
post Feb 28 2015, 04:01 PM

On my way
596 posts

Just a heads up:

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015...nd-behind-bars/
xeroxphan
post Feb 28 2015, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

QUOTE(MrFarmer @ Feb 26 2015, 03:16 PM)
Do you treat the water 1st?
How do you handle nozzle / pipe clog?
Pesticide & Fungicide control?
We do not treat the water, but we filter it. We occasionally flush the pipes to unclog it. As for PnD management, we spray top down with knapsack. The fertigation is only for fertilizer and irrigation. We do have some antracnose issues.
rooney77
post Feb 28 2015, 10:47 PM

12 posts

Hi...i am thinking to rear jade perch fish. Same cost with tilapia, but selling price much better of tilapia....

any opinion? tks
tnknt
post Feb 28 2015, 11:44 PM

8 posts

Hi, i am interested in venturing into agri business. but i don't have a lot of capital to start with.. any advice/guidance from all the friends here ? =)
MrFarmer
post Mar 2 2015, 01:49 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(tnknt @ Feb 28 2015, 11:44 PM)
Hi, i am interested in venturing into agri business. but i don't have a lot of capital to start with.. any advice/guidance from all the friends here ? =)
You can always start small, then as you get comfortable, then grow.

ah_suknat
post Mar 2 2015, 09:33 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

QUOTE(rooney77 @ Feb 28 2015, 02:47 PM)
Hi...i am thinking to rear jade perch fish. Same cost with tilapia, but selling price much better of tilapia....

any opinion? tks
find the market first....no use if the price fetch better but no body is buying...
ah_suknat
post Mar 2 2015, 09:33 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

QUOTE(MrFarmer @ Mar 2 2015, 05:49 AM)
You can always start small, then as you get comfortable, then grow.
very very very x10000000 true...

I learned the hard way... cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif
hsc
post Mar 6 2015, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

I have 4 plots of agriculture land between 55000 to 60000 sq ft each.

Need some advice, planning to do some plantation but dunno what and where to start with.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thank you
MrFarmer
post Mar 12 2015, 04:47 PM

Casual
478 posts

QUOTE(hsc @ Mar 6 2015, 11:53 PM)
I have 4 plots of agriculture land between 55000 to 60000 sq ft each.

Need some advice, planning to do some plantation but dunno what and where to start with.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thank you
Too subjective to provide suggestion.

4 plots, close to each other? Logistic ? Location? High value land? You may be better off renting out the land if it is high value? Water source? Weather history?
Michael J.
post Mar 18 2015, 07:39 PM

On my way
596 posts

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015...or-prices-agri/

ah_suknat
post Mar 18 2015, 10:24 PM

whoooooooooooooop
5,170 posts

QUOTE(Michael J. @ Mar 18 2015, 11:39 AM)
I dont think thats gonna happen to be honest

119 Pages « < 103 104 105 106 107 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:34 AM