Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

34 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Home Defect Rectification Checklist, After vacant posession! Update With Pics

Tien Yun
post Jan 15 2007, 11:52 AM

Group: Junior Member

yea i second to that statement .. human tend to make errors...
anyway chloelew regarding the ikea's kitchen set... i think using chip wood is kind of comman and whether it will be spoilt lies on the user ..
if u want to go for tougher materials u can go for solid wood ..
chloelew
post Jan 15 2007, 12:31 PM

Mr.Dependable
Group: Senior Member

the design fella say ikea cabinet got 10years warranty. how sure am i on this statement i dunno. have to ask further on this....they have a wide sellection of woods.... u on budget, chip wood lo... u got $$$ solid wood lo.... price variance between RM6k-8k. installation charges is bout RM1k already for kitchen cabinet. transport charges is RM65 (i thought it was free!)oh well.... it all balls down to budget....
billytong
post Jan 16 2007, 12:44 PM

Lord Sauron

QUOTE(chloelew @ Jan 15 2007, 11:26 AM)
ahhhh.... confirm sure have wan la... unless u build the house urself.... even that also sure got defects wan... human error....sure have wan....
A 1.6M house with a QA of 300-400K house? Something wrong with the developer.
chloelew
post Jan 17 2007, 12:47 PM

Mr.Dependable

also rememeber to check how many years of warranty left.... usually if new house, nobody stay b4... got time la... but still check on the warranty status. u dont wan to be caught off guard if something happens like leaks etc....
aaronpang
post Jan 18 2007, 01:09 PM

Cat Exterminator

Bad news no more photo updates from me... lost my camera and all the photos on Tuesday... cry.gif

Some thief broke into my car and stole my camera; I went out on Tuesday to take some pictures of the house then went to 1Utama for dinner. Barely a half hour after parking my car, it was broken into and my camera stolen cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

Oh gawd I feel so crappy right now.

user posted image

They smashed the rear window then took my camera which I hid under the passenger seat, I left it behind because I tot it would be safe from snatch thieves.

Incidentally several other cars are broken into that day besides mine. Is there no where safe these days?? vmad.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Jan 18 2007, 01:10 PM
adrianocy
post Jan 23 2007, 12:00 PM

Enthusiast

is dat a kembara or CRV?
chloelew
post Jan 26 2007, 03:04 PM

Mr.Dependable

guys.. also wanna let u guys know, if detected termites... go straight to the baiting system. 3 methods are available, spray, drill and baiting. baiting system is the latest now.... cost abit more.... but at least its more promising than the spraying technique and more neat than the drilling method. pricing is bout RM2.5k-3k. 1 year free maintanence period.

problem la this termite problem.... knn sad.gif

bw, my house finish the paint n the ceiling ade.... planning to move in kitchen cabinets and wardrobe but scared become termite food. better settle the issue first.
leenux
post Jan 26 2007, 07:02 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Jan 18 2007, 01:09 PM)
Bad news no more photo updates from me... lost my camera and all the photos on Tuesday...  cry.gif

Some thief broke into my car and stole my camera; I went out on Tuesday to take some pictures of the house then went to 1Utama for dinner. Barely a half hour after parking my car, it was broken into and my camera stolen  cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif

Oh gawd I feel so crappy right now.

user posted image

They smashed the rear window then took my camera which I hid under the passenger seat, I left it behind because I tot it would be safe from snatch thieves.

Incidentally several other cars are broken into that day besides mine. Is there no where safe these days?? vmad.gif
sad to hear that.. i can feel your loss. during puasa month, i parked in sg wang about buka puasa time for dinner with my fren. went bk to car and found pieces of glass around one side of my car. feared the worst - cos i left my bag with books inside and some pc stuffs. hope the thieves got smarter after reading 'how to zen up your life' while trying to BT without an installer cd. brows.gif

guard with motorcyle came after seeing me and when i asked 'mana u?'. he said 'semua buka puasa'. i diam diam after that.. no i c. doh.gif

back to topic, thanks.. your thread helped when my family checked out our new place. lucikly not much defect to report. cool.gif
stormchaser
post Jan 31 2007, 04:49 PM

love your neighbour, help serve society

If u guys don't mind, i want to Bump this informative thread to front..

haha... getting my new hse soon..... i'm ready with your method of rectification of house defect...
chloelew
post Feb 12 2007, 10:46 AM

Mr.Dependable

storm,where ur house?
suiteng
post Feb 13 2007, 05:12 PM

Hopeless President

Wow.. nice guide. Last time when I move in VP that time there's a large crack on the wall (near the ceiling) and there are *craps* on the floor. Damit.. why can't they just find a toilet!

It's all fixed up now. I wonder how they will react when I paste there "Remove crap". Hmm...

Added on February 13, 2007, 5:14 pmP/S: Perhaps this should go under the property subforum. Hmm..

This post has been edited by suiteng: Feb 13 2007, 05:14 PM
adrianocy
post Feb 13 2007, 05:19 PM

Enthusiast

yes..i agree...MOD, pls move to property talk forum, thanks
kelvio
post Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM

old guy

hmm i want to know if the contractor dont do their job properly,can we file a complain and get compensation???
aaronpang
post Feb 14 2007, 11:30 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(kelvio @ Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM)
hmm i want to know if the contractor dont do their job properly,can we file a complain and get compensation???
Yes you can, rightfully if the defects have been fixed there should be a letter between you and all parties agreeing to that fact... did you sign it? I believe its called joint inspection or something to that effect hmm.gif

If there are disputes better start documenting (take pictures) and build a case.

But there are rules to follow give your developer the time frame specified in your S&P I believe its 1 month for the defects and 2 weeks after that for follow-up work.

Please make sure you communicate everything to your developer in black and white...

After the 1 month and 2 weeks you can start writing to your developer and S&P lawyers (stake holders) to inform them that you intend to fix the defects yourself per the provisions in the S&P agreement for non-compliance of the defect rectification and attach a repair quote from a contractor specifying the repair costs.

Don't be afraid to complain and make noise, you paid hard earned money so you should demand nothing less than a perfect house thumbup.gif

edit: Sorry if I've left you hanging... its best you follow-up with your stake holder and developer and then decide on what to do after their feedback nod.gif

There is a provision in you S&P that allow the developer another 30 days to make good on the defects but I'm not a legal eagle... I'm unsure if you can just hire your own contractor during the additional 1 month period or after sweat.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Feb 14 2007, 11:47 AM
sirxl
post Feb 15 2007, 02:14 AM

On my way

good guide. thanks...Now Im gonna fans, lights, bathroom fittings and fan. Where to find cheap good ones ? Its for my condo to rent out in Subang.
??!!
post Feb 15 2007, 12:19 PM

Regular

QUOTE(kelvio @ Feb 14 2007, 10:36 AM)
If property bought from developer, the developer is obliged to make good the defects. You deal with the developer, not their contractors., as you have not contractual dealing with the contractors. The contractors are agents of the deveoper.

Inform the developer of the defects. If defects rectifications are not done in reasonable time, put them on notice that you will get your own contractors to do the rectifications if defects are still not attended to after expiry of the notice period. Enclose the quotes from your own contractors.
KeNNy
post Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM

Hello

aaronpang,

This guide is very useful. Although most of it seems like common sense, I like the elaboration of the details rocks.

You must have quite some experience with RE. By the way, what do you do with developers who don't do a good fix?

ie. You ask them to repair, and although they've done some work they still do a below average job.

The most common incident here is marble re-polishing.

This post has been edited by KeNNy: Feb 18 2007, 10:45 PM
aaronpang
post Feb 19 2007, 12:18 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(KeNNy @ Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM)
aaronpang,

This guide is very useful. Although most of it seems like common sense, I like the elaboration of the details rocks.

You must have quite some experience with RE. By the way, what do you do with developers who don't do a good fix?
Hi KeNNy,

Thanks! If you disagree with the shoddy work quality done by the developer don't sign off on the joint inspection form... because it will let the developer off the hook. rolleyes.gif

Follow the steps above (Post 54) and inform the stakeholder regarding your unresolved issues and get your own contractor to do the work to your satisfaction. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(KeNNy @ Feb 18 2007, 10:44 PM)
ie. You ask them to repair, and although they've done some work they still do a below average job.

The most common incident here is marble re-polishing.
I'll be honest the word defect is used loosely and can be subjective in some cases.

For example if you don't like the manner in which the plaster is applied to your walls either it's wavy or lumpy but to the developer some level degree of error is acceptable.

It's the same with polishing of marble floors... shakehead.gif

However there are no clear definitions on what are the allowable/acceptable margins of error before it becomes a defect.
zeist
post Feb 19 2007, 12:29 AM

Toyota Liteace KM36

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 23 2006, 01:14 AM)
2) Tiles & Floor
The Tiles & Floor include kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, floor tiles and cornices.

Tiles - Missing/Cracked/Chipped/Slanting

Missing and damaged Tiles & Floor are easy to spot for defects. However it's not easy to check for hollow tiles which are due too little plaster underneath.

The danger is the tiles can come off or crack if not remedied. Tap on tiles and if they sound hollow mark it out as a defect anyway and get the contractor to fix it.

Also make sure that the joints between the tiles are properly filled in with plaster. If you notice deep gaps make sure they fill it in.

Gaps in the Wall Skirting
user posted image

Not many other defects on the tiles everything is fine as far as I can tell!

3) Doors & Windows

Doors and Windows are fairly easy to check. Ensure that doors and windows easily open and unobstructed. Check for shoddy workmanship like missing screws, damage and rust.

Also ensure that everything is properly installed and there are no large gaps between the door and window frames. It's also a good time to check for water damage since windows not properly installed will leak during heavy downpour.

Check also that rubber seals for the windows are intact.

4) Miscellaneous Fixtures

Check the developer's inventory list for missing fixtures and accessories. You'll usually get a list of items that come with your home such as the number of electrical points, taps, sink, shower heads and etc.

Check the list thoroughly and make sure nothing is missing!

BEFORE:

user posted image

AFTER:

user posted image

Yup the sink was missing tongue.gif so was the wiring, seems some gawd damn thief carted away those items from our finished unit.

5) Leaking Pipes

Leaking Pipes are also easy to detect, check the exposed piping for leaks or walls where the pipes run through for water stains.

Query the developer on where the pipes in your unit are; in future it will help to prevent accidents due to accidental nailing or drilling. You don't want to hang a picture frame and puncture a pipe all in one go. tongue.gif

I'll end it here, I'll start inspecting more of the unit tomorrow and post extra pictures once I'm done.

Feel free to comment and suggestions/improvements are welcomed!

....More to come pictures being cropped and uploaded nod.gif
Nice stuff, thanks for sharing. thumbup.gif
stormchaser
post Feb 27 2007, 05:04 PM

love your neighbour, help serve society

Shall we get the key first then only list out the defect to them.. or we should avoid getting the key before the defect fixed??

34 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1038sec    2.55    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd July 2018 - 04:39 AM