33 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Home Defect Rectification Checklist, After vacant posession! Update With Pics

aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM, updated 7y ago

Cat Exterminator
Group: Senior Member

For all you first time homeowners and property investors, a guide to check your newly acquired property for defects and getting your monies worth out of your investment.

Part 1 - Introduction

After picking-up the keys to your new home/investment be it a house or condo, you should check for defects immediately and fill-out a defect rectification form.

Some developers will provide you with a standard form; others will just require you to list out the defects on a piece of paper and send it in.

The fist time I checked my first purchase the outcome was just a simple list of defects, BIG mistake!

Maybe the contractor just didn't bother with reading the defect list I painstakingly jotted down sad.gif Or maybe I didn't pay extra attention into detailing where the defects are located. When the rectification work was done the contractor didn't fix everything, only the very obvious flaws. doh.gif

I'm writing this for my second home, and I'll share what I've learned the hard-way!

PS: Mods I'm reserving a few posts for the remainder of this article and some pictures I hope it's all right!

One of the units mine is in the background laugh.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:21 AM
aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:42 PM

Cat Exterminator

Part 2 - What You Will Need

Besides a pen and paper you'll also find the following items useful:-

user posted image

1) Marker Pen
2) Masking Tape
3) Measuring Tape
4) Spirit Level
5) Torch Light
6) Stool
7) Digital Camera - camera not shown in photo for obvious reasons hmm.gif

I) Marker Pen & Masking Tape

Use the Marker Pen and Masking Tape to mark out areas of concern so that contractors doing rectification work can easily spot trouble areas.

It helps because it's mystifying to figure out where the defects are from the description on the defect list to an actual flaw on the house.

You can also scribble notes and express your displeasure on the masking tape so there is no miscommunication. smile.gif

II) Measuring Tape & Spirit Level

Use the Measuring Tape & Spirit Level to determine if there are any structural deviations with the room dimensions and walls. The sprit level also helps determine if doors and windows are properly vertical/horizontal. The spirit level also helps check walls and ceilings are horizontal and not slanted.

Trust me it's better than trying to visually confirm a slant with the naked eye.

III) Torch Light & Stool

A Torch Light and Stool is great for exploring nooks & crannies or highlighting those high out of reach places with masking tape. It's also a lot easier to carry around a stool than a 7'ft ladder.

IV) Digital Camera

Use a Digital Camera to document the defects with photographs, if there is any dispute or misunderstanding, this helps to demonstrate if defects have been fixed or overlooked by the contractor during rectification work.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:16 AM
aaronpang
post Dec 21 2006, 10:43 PM

Cat Exterminator

Part 3 - Defect Checklist What to Look Out For

Now that you've got all your defect hunting tools together here is what to look out for

1) Walls and Ceiling
2) Tiles and Floor
3) Doors and Window
4) Miscellaneous Fixtures
5) Leaky Pipes

1) The Walls & Ceilings

I'm referring to all Wall and Ceiling surfaces.

I) Cracks, Wavy and Uneven Surface.
It's pretty common and you should be able to see it quite easily.

Cracks on the Walls
user posted image

Sorry no pictures of uneven or wavy surfaces it was impossible to get it to show up in pictures.

II) Holes and Chips.
Holes and Chips on walls and ceilings are also another common defect and can occur due to accidental knocks and bumps or poor quality of materials used.

Oh gawd chips everywhere and not the kind you can eat doh.gif

Chips Everywhere around the Staircase Area
user posted image

Missing Plaster
user posted image

III) Fungus and Water Marks.
It can happen due to piping leakage or roofing defects. On the top floor the ceiling is covered in ceiling boards make sure the boards are not damaged or dirty.

Fungus & Water Damage
user posted image

More Water Damage
user posted image

Not a fungal or water mark but definitely an Indon mark vmad.gif
user posted image

IV) Others.
Lumps & Bubbles, Flaky Paint, Protruding Objects:- like nails, stray pipes, loose wiring & iron rods sticking out of walls and ceilings.

Exposed Metal Rod
user posted image

Window Frame Covered in Cement
user posted image

Poor Paint Job
user posted image

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:12 AM
aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:14 AM

Cat Exterminator

2) Tiles & Floor
The Tiles & Floor include kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, floor tiles and cornices.

Tiles - Missing/Cracked/Chipped/Slanting

Missing and damaged Tiles & Floor are easy to spot for defects. However it's not easy to check for hollow tiles which are due too little plaster underneath.

The danger is the tiles can come off or crack if not remedied. Tap on tiles and if they sound hollow mark it out as a defect anyway and get the contractor to fix it.

Also make sure that the joints between the tiles are properly filled in with plaster. If you notice deep gaps make sure they fill it in.

Gaps in the Wall Skirting
user posted image

Not many other defects on the tiles everything is fine as far as I can tell!

3) Doors & Windows

Doors and Windows are fairly easy to check. Ensure that doors and windows easily open and unobstructed. Check for shoddy workmanship like missing screws, damage and rust.

Also ensure that everything is properly installed and there are no large gaps between the door and window frames. It's also a good time to check for water damage since windows not properly installed will leak during heavy downpour.

Check also that rubber seals for the windows are intact.

4) Miscellaneous Fixtures

Check the developer's inventory list for missing fixtures and accessories. You'll usually get a list of items that come with your home such as the number of electrical points, taps, sink, shower heads and etc.

Check the list thoroughly and make sure nothing is missing!

BEFORE:

user posted image

AFTER:

user posted image

Yup the sink was missing tongue.gif so was the wiring, seems some gawd damn thief carted away those items from our finished unit.

5) Leaking Pipes

Leaking Pipes are also easy to detect, check the exposed piping for leaks or walls where the pipes run through for water stains.

Query the developer on where the pipes in your unit are; in future it will help to prevent accidents due to accidental nailing or drilling. You don't want to hang a picture frame and puncture a pipe all in one go. tongue.gif

I'll end it here, I'll start inspecting more of the unit tomorrow and post extra pictures once I'm done.

Feel free to comment and suggestions/improvements are welcomed!

....More to come pictures being cropped and uploaded nod.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:17 AM
Jenn77
post Dec 23 2006, 01:19 AM

Look Ma' Im Flyin! Gee~

AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also. drool.gif Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.

This post has been edited by Jenn77: Dec 23 2006, 01:23 AM
Civil
post Dec 23 2006, 01:34 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Jenn77 @ Dec 23 2006, 01:19 AM)
AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also.  drool.gif Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.
Nice guide thumbup.gif
Anyway, your new house got so many defects ! May I know who's the developer?

aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:36 AM

Cat Exterminator

AAron.. wheres the house, looks interesting.. Im looking for a double storey link also.
Click this link for more details...

Basically it's Taman Puchong Utama Phase 10B!

Why don't you mention where is the location you're interested in and the budget you have?

Happy hunting and I hope this post would be useful when you got your own home sweet home thumbup.gif

Btw, looking at the cracks on the wall, how do u think the contractor will help to solve the problem? AFAIK, the houses are build from sand bricks, not clay bricks. So u got to becareful not to nail anything on the wall coz it will just puncture and damage the wall.
The cracks and defects the developer will repair because the house is still covered by the defect liability period which is 18month. biggrin.gif

Most likely they will cover it up with more plaster and paint it over. Clay bricks are expensive moneyflies.gif

Yeah I know where the pipes are cool2.gif I also know where most of the wiring are brows.gif

aaronpang
post Dec 23 2006, 01:52 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 23 2006, 01:34 AM)
Nice guide  thumbup.gif
Anyway, your new house got so many defects ! May I know who's the developer?
It's not that bad I'm a pest and looked at every nook and hole laugh.gif pictures are from one of two houses we purchased.

Most of the defects are fairly common. Minor cracks, chips and leaks are expected cry.gif it's not too bad.

It could be worse, I could have a slanting wall, broken tiles, deep holes, major cracks, indoor waterfall doh.gif etc...

The developer is Hillcrest S/B I think they are linked to Glomac since they have an address at Manara Glomac rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif just guessing here unsure.gif

Anyway the defects will be fixed by the developer blush.gif

Stay tuned for more pictures cool.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 23 2006, 01:59 AM
Civil
post Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 23 2006, 01:52 AM)
It's not that bad I'm a pest and looked at every nook and hole  laugh.gif pictures are from one of two houses we purchased.

Most of the defects are fairly common. Minor cracks, chips and leaks are expected cry.gif it's not too bad.

It could be worse, I could have a slanting wall, broken tiles, deep holes, major cracks, indoor waterfall  doh.gif etc...

The developer is Hillcrest S/B I think they are linked to Glomac since they have an address at Manara Glomac  rolleyes.gif  rolleyes.gif just guessing here  unsure.gif

Anyway the defects will be fixed by the developer  blush.gif
Stay tuned for more pictures  cool.gif
My parents bought a house from Hillcrest S/B also in Tmn Sri Gombak. Anyway, it was 20 years ago and the house has no defect when they bought it.

I have few of my friends telling me not to buy property from some of the delevelopers because of quality,defects, house not ready in time etc. Anyway, I forgot the name they mentioned.

This post has been edited by Civil: Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM
aaronpang
post Dec 25 2006, 01:14 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 24 2006, 05:22 PM)
My parents bought a house from Hillcrest S/B also in Tmn Sri Gombak. Anyway, it was 20 years ago and the house has no defect when they bought it.

I have few of my friends telling me not to buy property from some of the delevelopers because of quality,defects, house not ready in time etc. Anyway, I forgot the name they mentioned.
Talam or Mayland or maybe MKLand there are just too many errant developers to keep track off...

You can google around especially Talam "Puchong Lestari" the houses are abandoned and those completed had quality issues. Not to mention Puchong Lestari is near a dumpsite. Stinks to high heaven when it rains user posted image

You can still drive by and see all the abandoned houses, really pity the owners.

You can also google for Mayland the defects in their apartments are totally shocking shocking.gif

Merry Christmas cool.gif

edit: BTW Don't worry about Hillcrest the defects aren't too bad it's minor and not entirely unexpected but the water stains really cheesed me off mad.gif

The important thing is to find all the defects and get it fixed thumbup.gif

edit2: Talams Many Problems

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 25 2006, 01:30 AM
Civil
post Dec 25 2006, 01:22 AM

Casual

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Dec 25 2006, 01:14 AM)
Talam or Mayland or maybe MKLand there are just too many errant developers to keep track off...

You can google around especially Talam "Puchong Lestari" the houses are abandoned and those completed had quality issues. Not to mention Puchong Lestari is near a dumpsite. Stinks to high heaven when it rains user posted image

You can still drive by and see all the abandoned houses, really pity the owners.

You can also google for Mayland the defects in their apartments are totally shocking  shocking.gif

Merry Christmas  cool.gif
TALAM CORP ! That's it!
Eh...I taught MKLAND was a good developer. The company seems ok what, sponsor there ..sponsor here.. sweat.gif

Just saw their project after LDP near the curve. Quite ok!

This post has been edited by Civil: Dec 25 2006, 01:23 AM
aaronpang
post Dec 25 2006, 02:29 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(Civil @ Dec 25 2006, 01:22 AM)
TALAM CORP ! That's it!
Eh...I taught MKLAND was a good developer. The company seems ok what, sponsor there ..sponsor here.. sweat.gif

Just saw their project after LDP near the curve. Quite ok!
Metropolitan Square is a disaster for some of it's buyers... it's an MKLand Project not to mention the endless stream of complaints from owners of Armanee Terrace another MKLand project see here http://forum.armaneebuyers.com you'll have to register to read the forum.

On yeah and look here too http://propertymalaysia.blogsome.com/2005/...sales-strategy/

The management identified slow sales, delays in construction and provisions for late delivery charges as the main causes of the weaker financial performance.

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 25 2006, 02:39 AM
azarimy
post Dec 25 2006, 06:39 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

this is a great topic!

drawing from experience, it is a good practice for buyers to inspect the house personally, preferrably with the construction drawings approved by the architect(s) in hand the whole time. problems highlighted by aaron in this topic are mostly superficial, although it does make ur house look "cheaper" than what u've spent.

however, it is my experience that contractors sometimes could make such a huge error, for example, missing a floor beam! before applying for CF, usually architects will do a thorough inspection of each and every house in the development. but inspecting 500 houses in a week can be tiring, and even architects can miss such errors.

and do take extra care on "cracks". there are several types of cracks, most commonly are plaster cracks, which is virtually small matter and can just be patched with fillas and painted over. other cracks can be structural, which something u must pay attention to. it's very hard to differentiate even for the experienced.
dreamer101
post Dec 25 2006, 10:13 AM

10k Club
Group Icon
Real World Issues, Finance, Business and Investment House
Group: Elite

Hi,

How do you find out whether your new house will be flooded??

Dreamer
chloelew
post Dec 27 2006, 03:56 PM

Mr.Dependable

and guys... dont forget bout termites!! i just bought a house in putra heights... the stairways and room wooden panel are filled with this critters! luckily also the house is under warranty. the exterminators came n spray. if that doesnt help, need to drill holes and inject pesticide into the ground... find out from ur developer wut land is ur house on. rubber estate or kelapa sawit. mine was k.sawit hence the termites... baskets!! rubber estates dont have such problems.... my developer is sime UEP.
aaronpang
post Dec 28 2006, 02:02 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(chloelew @ Dec 27 2006, 03:56 PM)
and guys... dont forget bout termites!! i just bought a house in putra heights... the stairways and room wooden panel are filled with this critters! luckily also the house is under warranty. the exterminators came n spray. if that doesnt help, need to drill holes and inject pesticide into the ground... find out from ur developer wut land is ur house on. rubber estate or kelapa sawit. mine was k.sawit hence the termites... baskets!! rubber estates dont have such problems.... my developer is sime UEP.
chloelew good advice!

Ex estate but I don't know what kind of plantation it was!

However I got a cert from the developer that the ground has been treated by a pest control company for termite infestation rclxms.gif
chloelew
post Dec 28 2006, 10:24 AM

Mr.Dependable

but do check ur house every 6months for infestation. check wooden panels... if u see a sand tunnel sort of like a wasp nest.... if u see those... call pest control ade... somemore i heard they can roam on ur walls.... feasting on wirings and cables... they wont eat ur wall bricks.sometimes u will see them coming out from ur wall power socket... damn scary.... and if ur roof also got infestation... call ASAP!

aaronpang, your house alot of prob le.... mine is just leaks, minor tweaks (sliding door cant open, some paint work and most serious..... termites!) who is ur developer?? must watch out...for my house, if its not for termites.... ill say my house would be quite perfect.... this is my house....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
aaronpang
post Dec 29 2006, 02:32 AM

Cat Exterminator

QUOTE(dreamer101 @ Dec 25 2006, 10:13 AM)
Hi,

How do you find out whether your new house will be flooded??

Dreamer
Hi dreamer101,

I'm not 100% sure on a guaranteed method to check and predict the risk of flooding...

But I did make it a point to purchase my home on higher ground icon_question.gif it should reduce the risk of water flooding my home! I'll try to snap a photo!

Actually there is another source of information and that's to check with your insurance agent... they should be able to help on a personal basis.

I pestered my agent for the risk information on the surrounding area and property. I can't post the information online because she only showed it to me from her laptop.

Hi chloelew and azarimy,

Thanks for your feedback I'll incorporate it into the guide! TQVM! notworthy.gif

BTW chloelew that is a nice home you've got there thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by aaronpang: Dec 29 2006, 02:35 AM
billytong
post Dec 29 2006, 10:13 AM

Lord Sauron

I would like to add on, if you have a chance, do check your house during or after heavy rain. Watermarks do not appear immediately. Best is to check every single spot. biggrin.gif
stormchaser
post Jan 3 2007, 03:46 PM

love your neighbour, help serve society

hi aaron, after u mentioned those defects to your developer, does the developer do what they need to do? my house got some painting problem (the door frame got white colour(paint from the wall)), and i want them to clear the mess for me since i don't want to waste money to buy a new paint. However, i dunno they will do last minute touch up or not lar, actually i haven't get the key yet but the door lock is not fixed yet so i just went inside the hse and see..

33 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0829sec    3.54    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 07:53 AM