Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

119 Pages « < 76 77 78 79 80 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Big 4 Recruitment Drive_v3

views

toblertwo
post Oct 7 2018, 12:12 AM

2 posts

Hey guys, anyone has any experience in audit for PwC and EY? How different is the environment and people between the two firm? Which is more supportive for learning and growth and easy promote? Heard EY has been lowballing so workload super high while PwC mostly GLC so favour bumi. I'm not keen to audit banks though so EY's FS clients not a selling point for me haha tongue.gif
Plan to go SG after a few years here

Also, when is PwC's promotion period? I heard EY is Oct. During non-peak also we will be parking at client place all the time?

Got graduate offers from both firms so deciding which to go. EY allowance higher by RM100 but people say PwC less Chinaman? (but more elitist or something like that? hearsay only la that's why asking sifus here sweat.gif ) Hope sifus here can advice, thanks.

This post has been edited by toblertwo: Oct 7 2018, 01:20 AM
Topace111
post Oct 7 2018, 05:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(toblertwo @ Oct 7 2018, 12:12 AM)
Hey guys, anyone has any experience in audit for PwC and EY? How different is the environment and people between the two firm? Which is more supportive for learning and growth and easy promote? Heard EY has been lowballing so workload super high while PwC mostly GLC so favour bumi. I'm not keen to audit banks though so EY's FS clients not a selling point for me haha  tongue.gif
Plan to go SG after a few years here

Also, when is PwC's promotion period? I heard EY is Oct. During non-peak also we will be parking at client place all the time?

Got graduate offers from both firms so deciding which to go. EY allowance higher by RM100 but people say PwC less Chinaman? (but more elitist or something like that? hearsay only la that's why asking sifus here  sweat.gif ) Hope sifus here can advice, thanks.
Firstly, your experience in either firm will depend on 3 key factors. Your team, your manager followed by your client. The firm culture / system is not something you can control so I put that as last factor.

Something I observed in audit is no matter how bad the working hour, terrible client or tyrant manager, a good team can support you through. As most audit engagement involves team working, you spent more time with your team members than anyone else. Your client leaves after normal working hours and your manager is only during planning and wrap up. The key factor here is you. You can determine how the team is gonna work. If you like being solo or uncooperative, good luck facing the manager and client alone.

Your manager will determine your kpi, workload and learning. Most manager are hands off and will let you work independently unless you work in a very large engagement which audit fee eclipses 1 or 2 million. Should be higher in pwc. A nasty manager is nothing compared to a toxic team. At least with good team, y'all can enjoy after work or after job activities. Although having a good manager can help you in your exit / transfer. Btw, you may have few managers due to different project or turnover issue.

Nasty client is manageable as it's periodic basis and you only deal with them like only few hours the most in a day. If you got good team and manager, a bad client will just improve your relationship with your manager and team. Nothing unites people compared to a common external enemy.

On to menial stuffs. Benefits difference are negligible between both firms. You will not feel it compared to the stuffs I mentioned above. I never lose sleep due to rm100 difference. If you got good rating you get even more allowance. Beware of extra work and expectation though. The tag super staff got its pros and cons. Pwc work methodology is more modern and risk based compared to ey and others firms. You will work less on substantive procedures / tocs but focus more on analytics. Ey is more old school. Due to this, some perceived pwc as only they will know what they are doing.

During non peak, you will stay at hq doing admin work. Most will clear their leave at this period. They rather see you off rather than charging your timesheet.
Jszeon
post Oct 8 2018, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

Hey guys, recently got an offer from KPMG for experience position. Although my current position is not manager level, but my job scope is no difference as compared to a manager. But they are discount me to become a senior year 2 which i have to work at least half or 1 year to become M1 there. Should i directly demand for M1 if they are keen on this or i should just move on my career at mid-tier firm?
Topace111
post Oct 9 2018, 12:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(Jszeon @ Oct 8 2018, 11:25 PM)
Hey guys, recently got an offer from KPMG for experience position. Although my current position is not manager level, but my job scope is no difference as compared to a manager. But they are discount me to become a senior year 2 which i have to work at least half or 1 year to become M1 there. Should i directly demand for M1 if they are keen on this or i should just move on my career at mid-tier firm?
If you are very confident. I will normally take a more conservative view of I am switching to a new field / bigger company. You may need to adjust with new methodology, system and culture. People management is also critical. Big4 got half yearly promotion and double promotion. So if you can deliver, they should have no issue to recognise that.

Imagine if you come in as M1 and fail to meet expectation? Good thing about big4 is they rarely fire people compared to corporates, so why not?
radeon20
post Oct 9 2018, 08:55 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(Jszeon @ Oct 9 2018, 01:25 AM)
Where were you previously from ?

Jszeon
post Oct 9 2018, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(radeon20 @ Oct 9 2018, 08:55 AM)
Where were you previously from ?
1 of the top 10 international firm.
radeon20
post Oct 9 2018, 02:07 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(Jszeon @ Oct 9 2018, 11:32 AM)
1 of the top 10 international firm.
Assuming your in external audit, yes there will be downgrade especially if your from outside the big 4. This is as each firms methodology are different and the way of approaching testing is different as well.
Gokuzzz
post Oct 18 2018, 09:42 PM

16 posts

I have applied for all big 4, i interned in pwc before and currently working in a medium firm with 1 year experience, i still have 3 prof papers. However, pwc replied me first and it was a straight rejection. I have never get any reply from other big 4 either. Should i just stop applying for big 4 or go commercial? I quite enjoy working in audit tho. If i stay longer in medium firm, the more years will get discounted. So hard to get an interview nowadays. 😅
BravoZeroTwo
post Oct 19 2018, 12:20 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(Gokuzzz @ Oct 18 2018, 10:42 PM)
I have applied for all big 4, i interned in pwc before and currently working in a medium firm with 1 year experience, i still have 3 prof papers. However, pwc replied me first and it was a straight rejection. I have never get any reply from other big 4 either. Should i just stop applying for big 4 or go commercial? I quite enjoy working in audit tho. If i stay longer in medium firm, the more years will get discounted. So hard to get an interview nowadays. 😅
Did you find out why they rejected your application ? You applied using your degree ?
Gokuzzz
post Oct 19 2018, 01:02 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ Oct 19 2018, 12:20 PM)
Did you find out why they rejected your application ? You applied using your degree ?
Unfortunately, i dont have any degree tho. Just 2 years work experience (including internship) and 3 more papers left. I didn't met their requirement. I guess i'm not good enough

This post has been edited by Gokuzzz: Oct 19 2018, 01:03 PM
SmallPenguin
post Oct 19 2018, 03:14 PM

Enthusiast
975 posts

QUOTE(Gokuzzz @ Oct 19 2018, 01:02 PM)
Unfortunately, i dont have any degree tho. Just 2 years work experience (including internship) and 3 more papers left. I didn't met their requirement. I guess i'm not good enough
straight rejection...

did you ask the reason?
perhaps you need to find out yourself why you are not qualified

need to think about that, change your game plan and try again in future
Gokuzzz
post Oct 19 2018, 06:59 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(SmallPenguin @ Oct 19 2018, 03:14 PM)
straight rejection...

did you ask the reason?
perhaps you need to find out yourself why you are not qualified

need to think about that, change your game plan and try again in future
The reason was they had better candidate than me. And i actually applied since March. Feel so hopeless lol. Thinking of changing industy. But i like audit tho 😅

This post has been edited by Gokuzzz: Oct 19 2018, 07:00 PM
SmallPenguin
post Oct 19 2018, 09:32 PM

Enthusiast
975 posts

QUOTE(Gokuzzz @ Oct 19 2018, 06:59 PM)
The reason was they had better candidate than me. And i actually applied since March. Feel so hopeless lol. Thinking of changing industy. But i like audit tho 😅
If you really really like audit, then go for it
Whats better than doing the job you LIKE

there's the problem, better candidate
why is someone better than you? why cant you stand out?
think about it...

next, what value you can put on the table?
from their perspective, why they rather hire another guy but not you

you have alot of stuff to figure out, so maybe use this weekend ponder about it

GLHF
yundaley
post Oct 20 2018, 07:20 AM

22 posts

Hi everyone, I’m an ACCA finalist with 2 papers remaining and I’d applied to all big firms and medium firms as well back in September, however the only reply I’ve gotten was from EY and it’s a straight rejection. Is it hard for me to find a job in audit?

If I were to apply for Jan intake, when should I submit my resume and other information? And should I resubmit my information all? And can anyone state the intakes for the big 4s? Thank you in advanced.
Gokuzzz
post Oct 20 2018, 02:48 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(SmallPenguin @ Oct 19 2018, 09:32 PM)
If you really really like audit, then go for it
Whats better than doing the job you LIKE

there's the problem, better candidate
why is someone better than you? why cant you stand out?
think about it...

next, what value you can put on the table?
from their perspective, why they rather hire another guy but not you

you have alot of stuff to figure out, so maybe use this weekend ponder about it

GLHF
Thanks for the advice, will think about it. Will try until next year, if result is the same. Will seek other alternative...
Gokuzzz
post Oct 20 2018, 03:45 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(yundaley @ Oct 20 2018, 07:20 AM)
Hi everyone, I’m an ACCA finalist with 2 papers remaining and I’d applied to all big firms and medium firms as well back in September, however the only reply I’ve gotten was from EY and it’s a straight rejection. Is it hard for me to find a job in audit?

If I were to apply for Jan intake, when should I submit my resume and other information? And should I resubmit my information all? And can anyone state the intakes for the big 4s? Thank you in advanced.
Are u now working as well?
BravoZeroTwo
post Oct 20 2018, 10:58 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(Gokuzzz @ Oct 19 2018, 02:02 PM)
HI, if it's ok for me to ask you. Did you pass your exams in one sitting, meaning no resit?
Gokuzzz
post Oct 21 2018, 12:29 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ Oct 20 2018, 10:58 PM)
HI, if it's ok for me to ask you. Did you pass your exams in one sitting, meaning no resit?
Nope, failed tax paper twice. And once in foundation.
BravoZeroTwo
post Oct 21 2018, 10:51 AM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(Gokuzzz @ Oct 21 2018, 01:29 AM)
Nope, failed tax paper twice. And once in foundation.
Perhaps they prefer overseas graduates though did not specifically say it out loud. I could be wrong.
Voskara96
post Oct 22 2018, 03:11 PM

12 posts

Hi guys, I have applied for PwC's advisory (deals) 2 weeks back. I have gotten a reply but they were telling me to undergo a 2-month internship until January and then they'll only convert me to a full-time position. When I tried to ask what are the chances or % of converting, they didn't give me an actual answer.

Is there any advice on this? Because I have another good offer and has to make a decision in a couple of weeks' time.

This post has been edited by Voskara96: Oct 22 2018, 03:11 PM

119 Pages « < 76 77 78 79 80 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0312sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:16 AM