Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Android Phone Recommendations Version 10, Please follow up the quotes

views

Alan Yee
post Aug 1 2015, 10:41 AM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(dude1988 @ Aug 1 2015, 02:17 AM)
Guys Note 4 Dual Sim vs LG G4 Dual Sim,which one better buy?

Both same price rm2300 from Directd

Im looking for dual sim flagship phone
Note 4 has AMOLED screen, S Pen, 5.7" screen, but maybe only 16GB internal storage for dual sim model, you should check carefully with Directd on this.

LG G4 has IPS LCD screen, 5.5", with 32GB internal storage.
Battery size for both dual sim model is same (3000Mah), Note 4 may have much longer battery life, due to the screen and processor efficiently.

Both equally good, down to your own personal taste.

Jay Chua CC
post Aug 1 2015, 02:08 PM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

QUOTE(Alan Yee @ Jul 29 2015, 09:31 PM)
Well, seeing most people here seems lazy to do some study on the phone available.

Let me help you all out thought, choose phone based on the processor will be the safest bet.

Ignore those battery life claim, due to bigger, higher res screen, and 4G network, all phone battery life sucks.
Be prepare to bring wall plug charger or power bank.

Speaking back to the processor, only choose phone with Qualcomm Snapdragon high end processor, such as S600, S800, S801, S805, S810 and S820.
Even though those S800 series has over heating issue, they offer the best performance in day to day use, and gaming as well.
Forget S615 and S400/S410, they are just as slow.

RAM count, no need so worry, 2GB RAM actually is enough, more RAM doesn't make the phone faster, just good for multi-tasking, but average user seldom multitasking, even the OS itself will close the program if not used for very long time.

After that, come to the budget and brand selection.
Want the most high end and reliable device? Only buy from Samsung, Sony, Apple, LG, HTC, Motorola.

Stay away from budget brand like Huawei, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer, Alcatel, Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu, Oneplus, ZTE, Ninetology.
Those budget phone is very good in value, and feature high end processor, high end feature at very budget price, but the quality and reliability isn't there.
You may buy those phone in a risky situation where budget allowed, but when your phone got issue, the after sales service just isn't there. Recommend just buy from ASUS, if local warranty is your concern, at least ASUS still has very respectable local support.

No money to buy high end phone? A very good advise is, buy the phone from last year flagship, which has price drop near or similar to those offer from budget brand. The old flagship, starting from year 2013, featuring at least Snapdragon 600 processor, are still very good, almost no different in feature compare to those phone offer in year 2015. They are still pretty fast, fast enough for everyday usage without any weird issue.

Lastly, my recommendation as below:
Over RM2000 budget:
Samsung S6, S6 Edge, Note 4, Note Edge, HTC One M9, LG G4, Sony Xperia Z3,Z3+, iPhone 6/6 plus

Around RM2000 to RM1500
LG G3, HTC One M8, Desire Eye, Butterfly 2, Sony Xperia Z2/Z3 Compact, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, S5

Around RM1000 to RM1500
HTC One M7, Sony Xperia Z1, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG G2
For those budget minded and won't mind on the headache on after sale service, here are some phone with high end Snapdragon processor, but with much budget price tag.
Oppo N3, Oppo Find 7/7A, Vivo Xplay 3S, Vivo Xshot, Lenovo Z2 Pro, Oneplus One, Xiaomi Mi4, Mi3, Xiaomi Mi Note/ Note Pro, ASUS Padfone S/S Plus.

For starter, recommend ASUS Padfone S/S Plus, Xiaomi Mi4, which spot Snapdragon 801 processor with less than RM1000. Guarantee those phone is lag free in comparison.

Move up a bit,, over RM1000, but below RM1500 you do get Oneplus One, Vivo Xshot, Oppo Find 7A, Lenovo Z2 Pro, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

On the highest budget end, Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, LG G3, HTC One M8, HTC Desire Eye, should be a pretty good buy. (Around RM1500++ to RM1700)

Stay away from other budget phone, especially those using Mediatek processor, and those from budget brand.
Beg to differ. I have Sony Z3 and your so called budget brand Huawei Mate 7. I experienced SOny aftersales service is very bad. On the other hand Huawei offers 1 to 1 exchg for the flagships(1 year !). Wat abt sony? I have to wait for almost 1 month for warranty claim eventho i used only for abt 2 weeks.
Not to mention Oppo warranty claim is darn fast compare to other manufacturers.
Its funny when you say Htc,LG,Motorola have better aftersales service. Their service centre barely cover the whole Malaysia,bro. If not mistaken only one or two in whole Malaysia. How is the reliability at thr? In fact.just to tell you,HTC offers one fo the worst after sales service in Malaysia. laugh.gif
Talk from experience ,bro. Dont simply fire up from nets. icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by Jay Chua CC: Aug 1 2015, 02:27 PM
TSmudkipryan94
post Aug 1 2015, 03:06 PM

Not today, dirtbag
All Stars
11,982 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Aug 1 2015, 10:27 AM)
I've tried many phones.  I've had an iPhone 6 as my daily driver for 4 months, but due to iOS restrictions, I've always had an Android with me as well.  This year alone, I've tried G2, G3, Redmi 2 (non-enhanced), Honor 4X, Honor 6, S4 (before the switch to iPhone), S5, Note 4, OnePlus One, Moto G (first gen)... some used for days, some for months.  My wife uses an Oppo Find 7a which I am very fond of and runs beautifully for its price.

All of the phones I've tried have some sort of issues or limitations based on my usage.  The most ideal phone for me is likely the Note 4 or G3 ori, if price is not a concern.  However, in weighing the price vs feature factor, I finally sold my daily and is now using another S4.  Yes it is a 2-year old flagship, but it has great features and can easily compete and win against any of the newer budget phones.  What was great 2 years ago will not suddenly become pathetic now just becos there are newer (not necessarily better) phones.

I'm not a heavy user, but I do a lot with my phones, like reading (Aldiko, Flipboard, etc), GPS (Waze, Runkeeper, etc), Hearthstone, Facebook, Whatsapp, uTorrent, Mi Fit, stream radio (DI.FM, etc), record expenses, sync notes, record audio, record video, take pics, edit pics, view videos, email, sync calendar, etc etc.
Have to agree with some things here, like 2GB RAM is enough for most people, and if the option is available at the same budget, go for Snapdragon.  Also buy older flagships.  Can't comment on the budget becos I almost always buy 2nd-hand phones, very good value there.

But, there are some budget phones with excellent customer service, like Huawei.  Of course, this is from reading user experiences in their individual official threads.  Xiaomi should be quite good as well.  And Oppo does not invalidate warranty due to flashing, rooting, etc.
To be fair, I too stay away from Mediatek process.  Reading user posts about GPS lock problems, etc, is enough to steer me away (especially Meizu branding).  No doubt they are powerful procs at budget price, though, so they are always attractive options to other people.
I disagree with customer service is always bad.  Some are bad, from reading other people's input.  Meizu's warranty is as bad as DirectD, which means almost non-existent.  Huawei is good (especially with the 1-to-1 replacement for first 6 months, which they honor).  Samsung is good (replaced my S4 motherboard when I complained about battery drain even with Knox tripped and custom recovery).  Even with AP, there are good and bad AP after-sales service, for example Seven Mobile vs DirectD.

The chances of lemon are also higher with some manufacturers.  My colleague's MI3 screen ghosting problem, some Meizu users' units being at the SC longer than being in their hands, etc.  Samsung has lemons too but with better service, you could have reliable parts and repair.  I had a tough decision between the M1 Note and Honor 4X, both being around the same price, but with the Meizu having better specs and Honor having better service, I went for the Honor.

I'm not saying people should avoid budget brands, but please be an informed and educated consumer.  If budget is #1 priority, by all means buy the cheapest best specced phone available.  Otherwise, there are other things to consider too.

And that's what this phone subsection of the forum is all about - sharing opinions and hopefully learning from each other on things we may not have thought of.
sweat.gif peace pls.... just have fun and good discussing here you guys...!
Alan Yee
post Aug 1 2015, 07:06 PM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(Jay Chua CC @ Aug 1 2015, 02:08 PM)
Beg to differ. I have Sony  Z3 and your so called budget brand Huawei Mate 7. I experienced SOny aftersales service is very bad. On the other hand Huawei offers 1 to 1 exchg for the flagships(1 year !). Wat abt sony? I have to wait for almost 1 month for warranty claim eventho i used only for abt 2 weeks.
Not to mention Oppo warranty claim is darn fast compare to other manufacturers.
Its funny when you say Htc,LG,Motorola have better aftersales service. Their service centre barely cover the whole Malaysia,bro. If not mistaken only one or two in whole Malaysia. How is the reliability at thr? In fact.just to tell you,HTC offers one fo the worst after sales service in Malaysia. laugh.gif
Talk from experience ,bro. Dont simply fire up from nets.  icon_idea.gif
It's you..... sweat.gif sweat.gif
Because we have different opinion, then it's normal to have this kind of debate..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Joking only.
I admit I am living in the myth, thought expensive brand will have better after sales service.
Thanks for your clarification, at least we now know what brand actually has good service.

I now owning phone/tablet from Samsung and ASUS, and their service actually is quite ok. Not as good as Huawei for 1 to 1 exchange, but all issue at least get settled within a week.

Touch wood for all buyer, we should protect our right to get a problem free device, regardless of brand.

QUOTE(mudkipryan94 @ Aug 1 2015, 03:06 PM)
sweat.gif peace pls.... just have fun and good discussing here you guys...!
It ok, nothing to worry about, only have discussion like this can make people grown up.
This is what forum is all about, share out something that often what sales person or marketing from brand that seldom share. (As sharing those will keep people away from buying phone/tablet from them)

The after sale service should be an important factor for buying phone from certain brand.
Feel free to share out more useful info.
Sharing is caring.
plain21
post Aug 1 2015, 11:06 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

budget max rm600
need best camera n performance at the price

any suggestions?
aibeast
post Aug 2 2015, 01:43 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(Babet @ May 30 2015, 03:35 PM)
Secondhand unit u can get with 450 are galaxy S3, zenfone 5 high spec, zenfone 6, LG nexus 4.. Where to buy? U have to search n update all da time in mudah, lowyat etc..

New set: most are lenovo phones, there are many specs u can choose but in general it will be 1gb ram.. 8gb internal. With mediatek processor..
Have similar price to this one but if possible not lenovo. T.T got scammed by seller buying ap set and now its broken with no warranty. Trauma. Any other recommendations?

Price 450 below
Durable, *seriously rough user*
Is zenfone 4 and galaxy core prime any good?
(temporary use)
Alan Yee
post Aug 2 2015, 08:24 AM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(aibeast @ Aug 2 2015, 01:43 AM)
Have similar price to this one but if possible not lenovo. T.T got scammed by seller buying ap set and now its broken with no warranty. Trauma. Any other recommendations?

Price 450 below
Durable, *seriously rough user*
Is zenfone 4 and galaxy core prime any good?
(temporary use)
Xiaomi Redmi 2, get the enhance version with 16GB storage and 2GB RAM.
Huawei 3C Lite

This post has been edited by Alan Yee: Aug 2 2015, 08:52 AM
Alan Yee
post Aug 2 2015, 08:25 AM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(plain21 @ Aug 1 2015, 11:06 PM)
budget max rm600
need best camera n performance at the price

any suggestions?
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Meizu M1 Note
Huawei Honor 4X

This post has been edited by Alan Yee: Aug 2 2015, 08:50 AM
Liquor
post Aug 2 2015, 12:56 PM

45 posts

1. Brand : Reliable brand
2. Budget: 1.5k
3. What i want: Was an apple user. Wanna change to android. Daily usage normally whatsapp, fb, a little gaming and gps. Preferably could last a day battery life and reliable to use.
Kravo
post Aug 2 2015, 02:14 PM

Regular
1,230 posts

1. Brand. not-sony, not-samsung
2. Budget. 750-1.5k
3. Specs. android
4. good speaker sound for music, prefer OLED display
TSmudkipryan94
post Aug 2 2015, 09:49 PM

Not today, dirtbag
All Stars
11,982 posts

QUOTE(Liquor @ Aug 2 2015, 12:56 PM)
1. Brand : Reliable brand
2. Budget: 1.5k
3. What i want: Was an apple user. Wanna change to android. Daily usage normally whatsapp, fb, a little gaming and gps. Preferably could last a day battery life and reliable to use.
GO OnePlus One,
it fits u well :/

QUOTE(Kravo @ Aug 2 2015, 02:14 PM)
1. Brand. not-sony, not-samsung
2. Budget. 750-1.5k
3. Specs. android
4. good speaker sound for music, prefer OLED display
rclxub.gif for bold

Specs : quad core or Octa Core , 1-4 Gig RAM; 16-64GB Storage ke??

well, u can go for Xperia Z2/ OnePlus One....

This post has been edited by mudkipryan94: Aug 2 2015, 09:49 PM
menime123
post Aug 2 2015, 11:19 PM

Getting Started
286 posts

1. Brand: Any brand
2. Budget: RM500 and below
3. Specs: Decent Processing speed, good ram, dual sim, lightweight and small (preferably like blackberry size if possible)
4. Type/Size: 5" and below
5. Usage: For my spare/office phone. Mainly gonna use FB, whatsapp, line, wechat, waze, internet browsing etc.
TSmudkipryan94
post Aug 2 2015, 11:28 PM

Not today, dirtbag
All Stars
11,982 posts

QUOTE(menime123 @ Aug 2 2015, 11:19 PM)
1. Brand: Any brand
2. Budget: RM500 and below
3. Specs: Decent Processing speed, good ram, dual sim, lightweight and small (preferably like blackberry size if possible)
4. Type/Size: 5" and below
5. Usage: For my spare/office phone. Mainly gonna use FB, whatsapp, line, wechat, waze, internet browsing etc.
RedMi 2 Enchanted version.. thumbup.gif
PGV3910
post Aug 3 2015, 01:29 AM

Regular
1,813 posts

Below rm500
Good camera and lag free..
Others than redmi 2?
TSmudkipryan94
post Aug 3 2015, 09:01 AM

Not today, dirtbag
All Stars
11,982 posts

QUOTE(PGV3910 @ Aug 3 2015, 01:29 AM)
Below rm500
Others than redmi 2?
ermm Honor 3C also boleh.. but I still prefer RedMi lol
Jay Chua CC
post Aug 3 2015, 07:56 PM

~Dont settle for good. Demand great~
5,907 posts

QUOTE(PGV3910 @ Aug 3 2015, 01:29 AM)
Below rm500
Others than redmi 2?
meizu m2. price cheaper than redmi 2e while specs on par. my nt yt launced la.
Coconut
post Aug 3 2015, 09:44 PM

Regular
1,268 posts

Brand : Any
Budget : max 1.5k
Spec : Dual sim a must, 2gb ram, 32gm rom, 5.5 inch
kingkingyyk
post Aug 3 2015, 09:59 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

QUOTE(Coconut @ Aug 3 2015, 09:44 PM)
Xperia C4 Dual? smile.gif 16GB ROM (+ memory card slot) and 6" screen though.
Alan Yee
post Aug 3 2015, 11:11 PM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(Coconut @ Aug 3 2015, 09:44 PM)
At this price, go for :

1. ASUS Zenfone 2 64GB, 4GB RAM, dual sim (5.5" 1080p)
2. Xiaomi Mi Note 64GB, 3GB RAM, dual sim (5.7" 1080p)
3. Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro 32GB, 3GB RAM, dual sim (6" 1440p/2K)
4. ZTE Nubia Z7 Max, 32GB, 3GB RAM dual sim (5.5" 1080p)

This post has been edited by Alan Yee: Aug 3 2015, 11:27 PM
Alan Yee
post Aug 3 2015, 11:24 PM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(WarKnight @ Aug 3 2015, 07:18 PM)
Hi Sifu,

1. Brand. HTC/Samsung/LG/Motorola/Others
2. Budget. 1.5k-2k
3. Specs. 3-4 Ram,Screen size 5.5++"
4. What you need in the phone. good camera,good sound quality,durable
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 4