Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Public Mutual Funds, version 0.0

views

MUM
post Apr 30 2018, 10:07 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,206 posts

As the Dividend declare on Jan yearly....
Just got back the 3% dividen which offset the 3% charges.
Which is about rm1.7k
hmm.gif if a fund does not declare dividend, then cannot offset the sales charge ....
hmm.gif then a fund that declares dividend, should be better than those that did not gives out dividend??
hmm.gif what is the different between a dividend from stocks (stock market) and a dividend distribution from Unit trust?
doh.gif sad.gif
brows.gif devil.gif

This post has been edited by MUM: Apr 30 2018, 10:19 PM
guanteik
post Apr 30 2018, 11:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,564 posts

QUOTE(MakNok @ Apr 30 2018, 09:50 PM)
Treat Public Mutual Fund like buying share.
Don't blindly buy when high and every 3 month if using EPF.

Buy only when low or dip...
I have been selling and buying Public Mutual Fund thru EPF 3 occasion.

I always buy Public Index....just reinvested from EPF last year Nov when KLCI index hovering at 1720 point.
Now making rm3k extra plus from rm58k EPF funding.

As the Dividend declare on Jan yearly....
Just got back the 3% dividen which offset the 3% charges.
Which is about rm1.7k
Thanks - though I might dislike KWSP, it is still better than mutual funds especially from Public Mutual.

Btw, there's no such thing as dividend from Public Mutual, it's distribution, which means whatever declared is whatever was earned. You get back more in terms of units, but you don't earn that 3%.
MakNok
post May 1 2018, 07:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,673 posts

QUOTE(guanteik @ Apr 30 2018, 11:59 PM)
Thanks - though I might dislike KWSP, it is still better than mutual funds especially from Public Mutual.

Btw, there's no such thing as dividend from Public Mutual, it's distribution, which means whatever declared is whatever was earned. You get back more in terms of units, but you don't earn that 3%.
Yes..i only choose to invest thru KWSP because only charge 3% as compared using own money 5.5%

Yes..you right again...it is call distribution not dividend which have been hookwink the simpleton mind when i initially invested way back then.

Important....buy low and only invest if there a dip.

guanteik
post May 1 2018, 08:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,564 posts

QUOTE(MakNok @ May 1 2018, 07:23 AM)
Yes..i only choose to invest thru KWSP because only charge 3% as compared using own money 5.5%

Yes..you right again...it is call distribution not dividend which have been hookwink the simpleton mind when i initially invested way back then.

Important....buy low and only invest if there a dip.
Agreed totally on the buy low sell high concept. The problem as always with unit trust is that we don't get to control over the price we want to sell, nor sell.
And, we do not know when is the 'low' in reality of the market.
Another thing that I couldn't agree with Public Mutual is the high service charges of 5.5% for personal / 3% for KWSP equity. Too high as compared to stocks.

I would not say Unit trust as a whole is a bad thing but this is not my game for now, at least with Public Mutual.
MakNok
post May 1 2018, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,673 posts

QUOTE(MUM @ Apr 30 2018, 10:07 PM)
hmm.gif if a fund does not declare dividend, then cannot offset the sales charge ....
hmm.gif then a fund that declares dividend, should be better than those that did not gives out dividend??
hmm.gif what is the different between a dividend from stocks (stock market) and a dividend distribution from Unit trust?
doh.gif  sad.gif
brows.gif  devil.gif
Stock market dividend is REAL unlike Mutual Fund.
Invest in stock market wil be better option.

If a fund didn't declare so call dividend mean someone didn't do proper analysis before jumping in.

If got give dividend mean can offset the initial sale charges lo.

MakNok
post May 1 2018, 09:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,673 posts

QUOTE(guanteik @ May 1 2018, 08:26 AM)
Agreed totally on the buy low sell high concept. The problem as always with unit trust is that we don't get to control over the price we want to sell, nor sell.
And, we do not know when is the 'low' in reality of the market.
Another thing that I couldn't agree with Public Mutual is the high service charges of 5.5% for personal / 3% for KWSP equity. Too high as compared to stocks.

I would not say Unit trust as a whole is a bad thing but this is not my game for now, at least with Public Mutual.
I invest in Mutual Fund because previously can offset my Income Tax lo but now no more.
I have twice move my Public Mutual Fund back to EPF after getting some profit.

When market is quiet...Mutual won't gain you much..better put in EPF...
My year 2016 is like that ..Having 200k with 40K profit but market movement static....in the end i move back to epf 190k with 30k profit.. losing out EPF dividend.

Only recently last year Nov...couldn't resist going in when market Index fall to 1720 point thus losing out dividend EPF.

This post has been edited by MakNok: May 1 2018, 09:15 AM
MUM
post May 1 2018, 12:13 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,206 posts

QUOTE(MakNok @ May 1 2018, 09:05 AM)
Stock market dividend is REAL unlike Mutual Fund.
Please elaborate more about this real and not real?

Invest in stock market wil be better option.
Yes, unless one has the characteristic and appetite for that...

If a fund didn't declare so call dividend mean someone didn't do proper analysis before jumping in.
Please eloborate more about this?...you mean got distibution is Better than those without distribution?

If got give dividend mean can offset the initial sale charges lo.
Please eloborate more about this?....i thought Guanteik mentioned just afew post up..."it's distribution, which means whatever declared is whatever was earned. You get back more in terms of units, but you don't earn that 3%."
is not true than?....if true how to offset? it is the money earned from the fund thus unit holder's money too....

chilskater
post May 1 2018, 07:05 PM

Regular
1,096 posts

now age reached 55yrs old cant withdraw all money in EPF, must 60 yrs old can only withdraw all...a colleague of mine went there last week
MUM
post May 1 2018, 10:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,206 posts

QUOTE(chilskater @ May 1 2018, 07:05 PM)
now age reached 55yrs old cant withdraw all money in EPF, must 60 yrs old can only withdraw all...a colleague of mine went there last week
the normal account will be closed for new contribution effective the birthday of 55. what ever new contribution amount will be going into emas a/c
the normal a/c can withdraw all at age 55. the value in emas a/c can only be withdraw at age of 60.

thus your friend is correct....what is in the KWSP can not be withdraw all at age 55 bcos he/she also still has some in emas a/c.

EPF: No Change To Age 55 Withdrawal, And Introducing Akaun Emas For Age 60 Withdrawal
http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/en/news-list...DetailPage=true

Akaun Emas (Age 60 Withdrawal)
http://www.kwsp.gov.my/act/akaun-emas.html
chilskater
post May 2 2018, 12:13 AM

Regular
1,096 posts

QUOTE(MUM @ May 1 2018, 11:05 PM)
the normal account will be closed for new contribution effective the birthday of 55. what ever new contribution amount will be going into emas a/c
the normal a/c can withdraw all at age 55. the value in emas a/c can only be withdraw at age of 60.

thus your friend is correct....what is in the KWSP can not be withdraw all at age 55 bcos he/she also still has some in emas a/c.

EPF: No Change To Age 55 Withdrawal, And Introducing Akaun Emas For Age 60 Withdrawal
http://www.kwsp.gov.my/portal/en/news-list...DetailPage=true

Akaun Emas (Age 60 Withdrawal)
http://www.kwsp.gov.my/act/akaun-emas.html
he never applied emas akaun..

MUM
post May 2 2018, 03:13 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,206 posts

QUOTE(chilskater @ May 2 2018, 12:13 AM)
he never applied emas akaun..
No need to apply...it was given free automatically upon his/ her 55 birthday
ben3003
post May 18 2018, 11:06 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

anyone know how much 1 account entitled for free switching in a year? either from equity to bond or bond to equity.
LonelyHart16
post May 18 2018, 12:04 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

How to know if my accounts are performing well or bad?

NAV value end of year? Negative or positive value of total returns?

I know if the amount I invested is less than the market value, definitely bad, right?

I invested back in
January 2016: PB SMALLCAP GROWTH
Then July 2017: PB ISLAMIC SMALLCAP, PB ASEAN DIVIDEND SEQUEL

user posted image
TSj.passing.by
post May 18 2018, 07:00 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(LonelyHart16 @ May 18 2018, 12:04 PM)
How to know if my accounts are performing well or bad?

NAV value end of year? Negative or positive value of total returns?

I know if the amount I invested is less than the market value, definitely bad, right?

I invested back in
January 2016: PB SMALLCAP GROWTH
Then July 2017: PB ISLAMIC SMALLCAP, PB ASEAN DIVIDEND SEQUEL

user posted image
To gauge how well is the fund performing against its benchmark, see the Performance chart.
https://www.publicmutual.com.my/Home/Fund-Performance

The chart only shows the fund and its benchmark. So to know how well it is performing against its peers, you will have to display the chart to show the other funds one at a time… or read the quarterly review… or go to the MorningStar webside which ranks the funds in the same category.

What is shown in the attachment is:
1) Name of the fund
2) Type of fund (equity, mixed asset, bond, money-market, etc. etc.)
3) Risk level of the fund
4) Cash or EPF scheme investment
5) Total number of units
6) Total value of the fund in ringgit.
7) ROI (return of investment)... it is either profit (positive) or loss (negative).
8) Date of the NAV price.
9) NAV price.

- The NAV price is the NAV price per unit. Multiple it by the total number of units to get the total value of the fund.

- The invested amount in ringgit is not shown. Anyhow, it does show the ROI. If the ROI is negative, it means that the invested amount is MORE than the current value.

And now, the big question: Is the investment BAD?

Though currently the investment is at a loss, it cannot be said for certain that it is a bad investment. It depends on what was your objective in buying the funds.

If the objective is to gain some money in one or two years time, then obviously it is bad as the investment has failed to reach its objective.

If the objective is to invest for the long term – say to gain some money by year 2040, whether the investment is good or bad, its faillure or success is still unknown.

In every investment that was made, this is true: No risk, no gain.

===================

PS.

- Whether the fund was in one purchase or in several purchases, it is not shown. All the purchases will be grouped into one line. This is the reason why it is necessary to keep track of the purchases on your own using Excel. Only with the transacted or purchased dates known can the IRR be calculated.

- FYI, the small cap index drop since 1st Jan… YTD of small cap funds is about negative 10-12%. In end-March/early-April, it was about -15%.

Cheers.

This post has been edited by j.passing.by: May 18 2018, 07:21 PM
LonelyHart16
post May 20 2018, 08:48 AM

Getting Started
89 posts

QUOTE(j.passing.by @ May 18 2018, 07:00 PM)
To gauge how well is the fund performing against its benchmark, see the Performance chart.
https://www.publicmutual.com.my/Home/Fund-Performance

The chart only shows the fund and its benchmark. So to know how well it is performing against its peers, you will have to display the chart to show the other funds one at a time… or read the quarterly review… or go to the MorningStar webside which ranks the funds in the same category.

What is shown in the attachment is:
1) Name of the fund
2) Type of fund (equity, mixed asset, bond, money-market, etc. etc.)
3) Risk level of the fund
4) Cash or EPF scheme investment
5) Total number of units
6) Total value of the fund in ringgit.
7) ROI (return of investment)... it is either profit (positive) or loss (negative).
8) Date of the NAV price.
9) NAV price.

- The NAV price is the NAV price per unit. Multiple it by the total number of units to get the total value of the fund.

- The invested amount in ringgit is not shown. Anyhow, it does show the ROI. If the ROI is negative, it means that the invested amount is MORE than the current value.

And now, the big question: Is the investment BAD?

Though currently the investment is at a loss, it cannot be said for certain that it is a bad investment. It depends on what was your objective in buying the funds.

If the objective is to gain some money in one or two years time, then obviously it is bad as the investment has failed to reach its objective.

If the objective is to invest for the long term – say to gain some money by year 2040, whether the investment is good or bad, its faillure or success is still unknown.

In every investment that was made, this is true: No risk, no gain.

===================

PS.

- Whether the fund was in one purchase or in several purchases, it is not shown. All the purchases will be grouped into one line. This is the reason why it is necessary to keep track of the purchases on your own using Excel. Only with the transacted or purchased dates known can the IRR be calculated.

- FYI, the small cap index drop since 1st Jan… YTD of small cap funds is about negative 10-12%. In end-March/early-April, it was about -15%.

Cheers.
WOw, thank you so much for the information. I plan to invest long term, like you said, only take out in 20-30 years.
TSj.passing.by
post May 20 2018, 10:53 AM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(LonelyHart16 @ May 20 2018, 08:48 AM)
WOw, thank you so much for the information. I plan to invest long term, like you said, only take out in 20-30 years.
It better be long term! Since the service charge is so freaking high. It will take years to slowly amortize it.

Your ROI, about -10%, is included the service charge cost.
One way to have it really really long term is having an intention and plan to turn the portfolio into an passive income generator during retirement age.

BTW if not mistaken, both Public and PB funds can be purchased using the online service.

For long term, Public SEA Fund is good to have. Also Islamic Asia Leaders. Within PB series, I would select China Pacific Equity and Dividend Builder Equity.

INTEGRITYXXXXX
post May 24 2018, 06:28 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

Hi everybody, I would like to buy any public mutual fund but im currently living in another country. I dont have a public bank account. How can I buy a public mutual fund?

Edit: And how can I buy an index fund?

This post has been edited by INTEGRITYXXXXX: May 24 2018, 08:00 PM
calek
post Jun 23 2018, 04:11 PM

3 posts

Hi, for Public Mutual Online redemption, how many days to get the money credited to my reg account.TQ

DozeMeWithTea
post Jun 26 2018, 12:12 PM

Getting Started
106 posts

World stock down?

TSj.passing.by
post Jun 26 2018, 04:00 PM

Regular
1,639 posts

QUOTE(INTEGRITYXXXXX @ May 24 2018, 06:28 PM)
Hi everybody, I would like to buy any public mutual fund but im currently living in another country. I dont have a public bank account. How can I buy a public mutual fund?

Edit: And how can I buy an index fund?
Your presence is needed... to meet the agent from Public Mutual, or a personnel in Public Bank, for signing some documents, and fill in questionaires and forms. After this, you may registered into the online faciltiy and do transactions online.

QUOTE(calek @ Jun 23 2018, 04:11 PM)
Hi, for Public Mutual Online redemption, how many days to get the money credited to my reg account.TQ
3-4 working days. (If mutual gold, 1 or 2 days earlier.)

QUOTE(DozeMeWithTea @ Jun 26 2018, 12:12 PM)
World stock down?
Good time to stock up!

Many funds were in the red in the past 2 weeks, and yesterday many funds dropped more than 1% and some around 1.5%... so had dropped about 5% in 11 trading days.

146 Pages « < 71 72 73 74 75 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0271sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:02 AM