Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Everything About Your Gigi, Anything related to teeth or dentistry

views

Batusai
post Apr 23 2021, 10:10 AM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Apr 21 2021, 11:33 AM)
Just wanted to ask, if a cracked lower molar is held by a composite resin, something like binding the crack together, will there be still movement of the different cracked surfaces when biting?
It's hard to tell as we won't know how the cavity is done. Is the composite covering the top of the tooth?

If it's a true crack across the structure of the tooth, we crown would be more advisable to withstand the forces
filage
post Apr 23 2021, 11:55 AM

Enthusiast
990 posts

QUOTE(Batusai @ Apr 23 2021, 10:10 AM)
It's hard to tell as we won't know how the cavity is done. Is the composite covering the top of the tooth?

If it's a true crack across the structure of the tooth, we crown would be more advisable to withstand the forces
Yeap, the composite cover the bite surface plus a little bit extend to the side wall of the the tooth. Dentist mentioned about a crack in the files, but doesn't mention more. Wasn't exactly well informed about what actually happened to this tooth during that composite fillings, only recent years went back and ask so the file mentioned very little info other than a crack and a deep filling has been made. Don't remember the dentist said anything about a crown too. He just went ahead and fixed it with composite. There is an L shaped boundary on the tongue side of the tooth wall. Suppose to be boundary between the filling and the tooth I believe and it the boundary is somewhat stained yellow/brown.

Also noticed that this molar has almost no cusps anymore, the dentist removed most of the rear cusps, maybe left just a bit of the front 2 cusps. Supposed to have 5 cusps based on the opposite side molar which is in good condition.

This post has been edited by filage: Apr 23 2021, 11:59 AM
Redshelf411
post Apr 23 2021, 09:37 PM

Casual
486 posts

QUOTE(AskTheDent @ Sep 10 2014, 08:57 AM)
user posted image

Above is the price list for gov clinic, if foreigner is different price wink.gif
Just saw this... Can I whiten my teeth at govt dentist then? For RM2?
w3sley
post Apr 24 2021, 07:02 PM

Getting Started
244 posts

Greetings Dr.

Any advice for one side braces only?
I was told that it will cause misalignment during biting with the other side without braces.

Thank you for your time!
Batusai
post Apr 26 2021, 02:36 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Apr 23 2021, 11:55 AM)
Yeap, the composite cover the bite surface plus a little bit extend to the side wall of the the tooth. Dentist mentioned about a crack in the files, but doesn't mention more. Wasn't exactly well informed about what actually happened to this tooth during that composite fillings, only recent years went back and ask so the file mentioned very little info other than a crack and a deep filling has been made. Don't remember the dentist said anything about a crown too. He just went ahead and fixed it with composite. There is an L shaped boundary on the tongue side of the tooth wall. Suppose to be boundary between the filling and the tooth I believe and it the boundary is somewhat stained yellow/brown.

Also noticed that this molar has almost no cusps anymore, the dentist removed most of the rear cusps, maybe left just a bit of the front 2 cusps. Supposed to have 5 cusps based on the opposite side molar which is in good condition.
A crack in the file? Was the tooth root canal treated before?

With the current condition of the tooth, it is comfortable to chew on?
Batusai
post Apr 26 2021, 02:36 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(Redshelf411 @ Apr 23 2021, 09:37 PM)
Just saw this... Can I whiten my teeth at govt dentist then? For RM2?
as far as I know, Govt dentist do no provide whitening treatment
Batusai
post Apr 26 2021, 02:40 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(w3sley @ Apr 24 2021, 07:02 PM)
Greetings Dr.

Any advice for one side braces only?
I was told that it will cause misalignment during biting with the other side without braces.

Thank you for your time!
depends on well aligned is your current teeth and the side without braces.

If lets say your other side is really well aligned, one side braces can be done.

But yes, there will be a chance of misalignment as we cannot control the movement on the other side to fix it.
filage
post Apr 26 2021, 08:51 PM

Enthusiast
990 posts

QUOTE(Batusai @ Apr 26 2021, 02:36 PM)
A crack in the file? Was the tooth root canal treated before?

With the current condition of the tooth, it is comfortable to chew on?
I don't know what kind of crack it was that required a deep composite filling which extends to the tooth wall. There is definitely 1 piece of amalgam on the bite surface which was installed many many years back. Either the amalgam crack or the tooth structure surrounding the amalgam cracked. But the amalgam is still there on the bite surface occupy half of the bite surface, while the other half is the crack-repairing composite.

So not sure whether he removed half of my amalgam away or the amalgam is as it is untouched.

The problematic area now is the composite area, which cannot bite very hard foods. There is a "plane" somewhere on that composite, that just feels pain if pressure is exerted on the right spots/regions.

And the tooth is sensitive usually after a few cycles of sugary/milk/starchy fooods. Occasionally can feel that ouch 'zap' if rinse with tap water. It seems the 'zap' travels downward.

Mostly I can't bite hard foods like biscuits with this tooth, or it will cause the pain when bite at the problem spot.

Previously dentists who looked at the filling said it looks pretty solid and sound, they didn't detected movement when trying to scrape at the filling. They also didn't detected pain by tapping on the tooth. So they didn't advise anything like trying to change the filling.

So what I think is going on might be residue crack under the filling? which may have some movement when biting.

miyakochan89
post Apr 29 2021, 02:51 PM

<3
3,853 posts

Finally mustered all the courage in the world and got my wisdom tooth out just a few hours ago! Now I’m resting here with a slightly numb jaw and bleeding gum.
miyakochan89
post Apr 29 2021, 07:06 PM

<3
3,853 posts

Is it normal that I’m still bleeding? Had my wisdom tooth extracted in the morning.
Batusai
post May 1 2021, 06:22 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(filage @ Apr 26 2021, 08:51 PM)
I don't know what kind of crack it was that required a deep composite filling which extends to the tooth wall. There is definitely 1 piece of amalgam on the  bite surface which was installed many many years back. Either the amalgam crack or the tooth structure surrounding the amalgam cracked. But the amalgam is still there on the bite surface occupy half of the bite surface, while the other half is the crack-repairing composite.

So not sure whether he removed half of my amalgam away or the amalgam is as it is untouched.

The problematic area now is the composite area, which cannot bite very hard foods. There is a "plane" somewhere on that composite, that just feels pain if pressure is  exerted on the right spots/regions.

And the tooth is sensitive usually after a few cycles of sugary/milk/starchy fooods. Occasionally can feel that ouch 'zap' if rinse with tap water. It seems the 'zap'  travels downward.

Mostly I can't bite hard foods like biscuits with this tooth, or it will cause the pain when bite at the problem spot.

Previously dentists who looked at the filling said it looks pretty solid and sound, they didn't detected movement when trying to scrape at the filling. They also didn't detected pain by tapping on the tooth. So they didn't advise anything like trying to change the filling.

So what I think is going on might be residue crack under the filling? which may have some movement when biting.
sounds like you have a leakage in the restoration.

The symptoms that you are having deems for your to remove the current filling and explore and redo.

sometimes the filling may look solid on the surface, but there are leakage and microcracks that dentist may miss.
Batusai
post May 1 2021, 06:24 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(miyakochan89 @ Apr 29 2021, 07:06 PM)
Is it normal that I’m still bleeding? Had my wisdom tooth extracted in the morning.
Mild bleeding like small flow is normal.

Just bite on a gauze for 30minutes and not more. It should arrest the bleeding. Any major movement or touching the extraction site may induce some bleeding.

Apply some cold pack for today and tomorrow.
filage
post May 1 2021, 08:41 PM

Enthusiast
990 posts

QUOTE(Batusai @ May 1 2021, 06:22 PM)
sounds like you have a leakage in the restoration.

The symptoms that you are having deems for your to remove the current filling and explore and redo.

sometimes the filling may look solid on the surface, but there are leakage and microcracks that dentist may miss.
How damaging are microleakage on filling? Are they able to contain big layers of plague inside? Or are they more of just an annoyance with the sensitivity? I asked my dentist about this chemical called methylene blue before, he seems to be unsure of it. Does this chemical shows the leakage spots on the dental fillings?
Batusai
post May 3 2021, 01:43 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(filage @ May 1 2021, 08:41 PM)
How damaging are microleakage on filling? Are they able to contain big layers of plague inside? Or are they more of just an annoyance with the sensitivity? I asked my dentist about this chemical called methylene blue before, he seems to be unsure of it. Does this chemical shows the leakage spots on the dental fillings?
They do not damage your filling. but instead damage your tooth.

Our daily diet that are crushed and mix with saliva can seep through the leakage and cause damage to your tooth structure.

When your have frequent sensitivity, that would mean its a rather large leakage.

This methylene blue should be a dye to detect for cracks. But it may not be able to detect small leakages, especially under or in between teeth.
Blofeld
post May 4 2021, 01:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,618 posts

My dentist suggest localised debridement on my molar next to my wisdom tooth (after extracting the wisdom tooth).

Anything to expect for debridement? Is it going to be painful?
Batusai
post May 4 2021, 05:45 PM

zzz
1,926 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ May 4 2021, 01:01 AM)
My dentist suggest localised debridement on my molar next to my wisdom tooth (after extracting the wisdom tooth).

Anything to expect for debridement? Is it going to be painful?
Temporary sensitivity on the tooth for a few days.

40 Pages « < 38 39 40Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0225sec    0.83    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th May 2021 - 03:34 PM