Dlink

This post has been edited by quadcube: Aug 21 2013, 08:08 PM
shadowblack
post Aug 21 2013, 10:43 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(simonyee @ Aug 21 2013, 09:48 AM)
Promise is the best now.
Promise makes the best scsi card and been around the market for ages.
NAS is new but they are good for it

Thecus and synology hardware development is good but the software is not, it can work when you have properly written firmware.
Promise? What brand is that?
quadcube
post Aug 22 2013, 03:44 PM

Regular

QUOTE(shadowblack @ Aug 21 2013, 10:43 PM)
Promise? What brand is that?
http://www.promise.com/default.aspx?region=en-global&m=72
apple store have their NAS(smartstor),super expensive brows.gif brows.gif

This post has been edited by quadcube: Aug 26 2013, 02:53 PM
ozone9
post Aug 24 2013, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi Bro,
I am using DLink 320L and wants to stream video to my Sharp Aquos
The TV managed to discover the D Link but cannot even view the files inside..don`t talk about opening it.
I know there are complex solution like Fun-plug and linus skill is needed.
I wonder if there is any easier solution or fix within the Dlink 320L?

Or is it true that Dlink 320L is incapable top stream video to TV??

Kindly share.Thanks
simonyee
post Aug 26 2013, 02:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ozone9 @ Aug 24 2013, 01:54 PM)
Hi Bro,
The TV managed to discover the D Link but cannot even view the files inside..don`t talk about opening it.

Kindly share.Thanks
Another useless company same like Aztech.
come on you should know about video encoder and decoder. if you D/L the right file format it can work but you have to know which one that is compatible.

If cannot play then use the software to convert to the format the NAS can read.
haiya so simple.

For goodness sake, stick your money on good brands that works like Asus, promise.
Other brands forget about them, not only they don't work properly they cause more problems than you can affort to tackle.

Cheap brand is no play brand

This post has been edited by simonyee: Aug 26 2013, 02:38 PM
jchue73
post Aug 26 2013, 02:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(quadcube @ Aug 22 2013, 03:44 PM)
http://www.promise.com/default.aspx?region=en-global&m=72
apple store have their NAS(pegasus),super expensive  brows.gif  brows.gif
Just for clarification, the Pegasus R4 or R6 on Thunderbolt is a DAS and not a NAS.

But of course they also have NAS called SmartStor.
quadcube
post Aug 26 2013, 02:53 PM

Regular

QUOTE(jchue73 @ Aug 26 2013, 02:48 PM)
Just for clarification, the Pegasus R4 or R6 on Thunderbolt is a DAS and not a NAS.

But of course they also have NAS called SmartStor.
ops,my bad sweat.gif thanks for the clarification thumbup.gif
jchue73
post Aug 26 2013, 03:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ozone9 @ Aug 24 2013, 01:54 PM)
Hi Bro,

Kindly share.Thanks
I've no experience using the DLink as a DLNA. Do you have the latest firmware? Usually the commercial type lower end NAS are not able to decode and stream videos reliably due to lack of internal CPU power. If they are able to, somehow something is compromised.

Solution? Get a capable network type media player or a HTPC to playback the file that is located in the DLink 320L NAS. The DLink as a storage and the media player or HTPC does the playback decoding. Preferably wired network and not wireless.
azarimy
post Aug 31 2013, 11:07 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

hi guys. i have a pretty general question on NAS.

NAS basically comes with one or two USB ports. im wondering if these ports are specific for printserver only (because most actually markets the USB for such)? i have a not-so-smart sony LCD TV and i depend on my portable HDD connected via USB to watch movies etc.

do NAS' USB ports function the same? or do i have to get a smart tv so i could access them via network?

at the moment i'm looking at entry level, home use NAS, particularly the D-Link DNS320.
azarimy
post Aug 31 2013, 11:51 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

another question, do i need to format the HDDs? i already have a 1TB drive full of stuffs.

quadcube
ozak
post Aug 31 2013, 12:38 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(azarimy @ Aug 31 2013, 11:07 AM)
hi guys. i have a pretty general question on NAS.

NAS basically comes with one or two USB ports. im wondering if these ports are specific for printserver only (because most actually markets the USB for such)? i have a not-so-smart sony LCD TV and i depend on my portable HDD connected via USB to watch movies etc.

do NAS' USB ports function the same? or do i have to get a smart tv so i could access them via network?

at the moment i'm looking at entry level, home use NAS, particularly the D-Link DNS320.
Depend what NAS. The USB port can use for printer, ext hdd, ups, speaker and webcam.
Halia
post Aug 31 2013, 12:40 PM

I just bought QNAP TS220 and have few basic questions (I have searched the forum earlier. I am not PC savvy)). My main PC is win 7, plus one in Win 8 and another one with XP, and a smart TV. I am running the latest 4.xx firmware version and the NAS is connected to Linksys X2000.

My very basic questions are:
1. Does the NAS needs to be power on 24/7?
2. How do I know if the NAS is running a realtime behind-the-scene back-up? I have been searching for this but failed to find any related info. My main objective is automatic always-on back-up.
3. What is the best way to import folders from the PC to the NAS ( I tried copy the entire folder, and used the USB one touch but end up at 'jalan mati')?
4. How to set-up the security? I read that the security can be based on IP address but I am not sure how this may affect mobile/internet computing.

I know nut about NAS and so far running tons of problem in configuration of it. I have not found a model specific or instructions that are precise for dummy like me. Any references are very appreciated

Sorry for asking so many questions.
ozak
post Aug 31 2013, 06:44 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(Halia @ Aug 31 2013, 12:40 PM)
I just bought QNAP TS220 and have few basic questions (I have searched the forum earlier.  I am not PC savvy)).  My main PC is win 7, plus one in Win 8 and another one with XP, and a smart TV.  I am running the latest 4.xx firmware version and the NAS is connected to Linksys X2000.

My very basic questions are:
1.  Does the NAS needs to be power on 24/7?
2.  How do I know if the NAS is running a realtime behind-the-scene back-up?  I have been searching for this but failed to find any related info.  My main objective is automatic always-on back-up.
3.  What is the best way to import folders from the PC to the NAS ( I tried copy the entire folder, and used the USB one touch but end up at 'jalan mati')?
4.  How to set-up the security?  I read that the security can be based on IP address but I am not sure how this may affect mobile/internet computing.

I know nut about NAS and so far running tons of problem in configuration of it.  I have not found a model specific or instructions that are precise for dummy like me.  Any references are very appreciated

Sorry for asking so many questions.
How you buy a NAS if you don't do research first?

1)NAS built to run 24/7.

2)You can check the backup data in the NAS. Is it same as your latest data in the PC. When it fail to backup, it will send a massage to you.

3) map the nas folder. Drag n drop.

I base on general NAS infor. Cause I don't have QNAP TS220.

hazremi
post Sep 3 2013, 10:42 PM

1million people saved this avatar bcoz she's too cute!

thinking of buying wd mybook live 2TB..price is quite ok..my budget is around 500++..i know live duo is better but the price is too high 1k.

any opinion?
aerozs
post Sep 4 2013, 10:57 AM

Getting Started

just grab dlink dns320l during it fair for rm199. now hunting for wd red but most shop i went don't have it. if i buy 2x2tb, it'll become only 2tb for use and 2tb for raid correct? or i'm wrong?
pap55
post Sep 4 2013, 01:37 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(aerozs @ Sep 4 2013, 10:57 AM)
just grab dlink dns320l during it fair for rm199. now hunting for wd red but most shop i went don't have it. if i buy 2x2tb, it'll become only 2tb for use and 2tb for raid correct? or i'm wrong?
ya, if you running raid 1 configuration.
aerozs
post Sep 4 2013, 02:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pap55 @ Sep 4 2013, 01:37 PM)
ya, if you running raid 1 configuration.
Thanks. So if i use raid 0, it'll become 4tb. Can i just simply switch between raid 0 and 1 or i need to reset/format HD first?

wildwestgoh
post Sep 4 2013, 03:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(aerozs @ Sep 4 2013, 02:16 PM)
Thanks. So if i use raid 0, it'll become 4tb. Can i just simply switch between raid 0 and 1 or i need to reset/format HD first?
You need to understand the function of RAID.
RAID0 means no redundancy, it's striped for only 1 purpose: speed, either 1 HDD spoilt and you lose all data.
RAID1 is mirroring, means every HDD is a direct mirror of the 1st HDD.
I believe there's another configuration called JBOD which set all HDD as 1 volume so you use it like 1 HDD, you lost data of the HDD that spoilt though I'm not too sure if function like RAID0.

Google is your friend. sweat.gif
v1n0d
post Sep 4 2013, 03:41 PM

Another roof, another proof.

Synology DS411j user reporting in! icon_rolleyes.gif
Halia
post Sep 4 2013, 04:31 PM

still on the painful process of trial and error on my QNAP TS220. The 'technical service' by the distributor is not that helpful thought friendly. Pls allow me to shot some basic questions.
1) In order to have remote access (access PC data from out-of-home), I need a DDNS account - Yes/No? If yes, I need to pay for DDNS service thought there may still be some that are free - Yes/No, care to explain further?
2) I have multiple pc, what is the best way to back-up to NAS? I am using the NetBak Replicator but it takes 'days'.
3) For multiple Pc back-up, do I need to create a different back-up folders in the NAS.

Thanks thanks thanks

47 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1039sec    2.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th August 2018 - 04:36 AM