11 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

About Search engines, getting listed and maintain

views

chee_y
post Jul 5 2007, 05:06 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Dec 12 2006, 06:09 PM)
me thinks

1. filename
2. ALT attribute on IMG tag

not sure, couldn't think of other ways to identify images.
Goldfries is on the right track, in my opinion, image search works by

* Using image ALT tag
* Using image Filename
* Using surrounding text
* Using overall page theme

By optimizing your image for Image Search (eg Google, Yahoo), your site may get better traffic and ranking. Read the article below if you are interested... biggrin.gif

Optimizing Images for Search Engines

etsuko
post Jul 14 2007, 09:23 AM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,210 posts

Well, the only way to find out like what SEO consultants do is..

Try , Try , Try again.. smile.gif
balthazer
post Jul 18 2007, 06:07 PM

44 posts

There are more in SEO rather then inserting keywords, meta tag, alt tag, html sitemap, inserting keyword in webpage title and renaming webpage in keywords. These are just some of the optimization of the front-end of the webpages. There are also things you need to know and do in the back-end to ensure that you obtain a better ranking for your website. Two of the most important factors would be inserting a Robots.txt and a XML sitemap.

Robots.txt is an important tool if you want your webpage to be crawled correctly by search engine's crawler/spider/bots. This simple *.txt script will direct and guide search engine crawlers to craw your webpage according to your specification. You can also prevent the crawlers to craw certain page of your webpages with the Robots.txt script.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of robots.txt generator out there and you can always search on through the search engine and find one which fits your requirement the best.

While the XML sitemap helps to validate your website structure and content and it also helps the search engine crawler to craw better into your website. What is the difference between a html crawler and a XML crawler? Well in short we human will use the html sitemap and the crawlers will use the XML sitemaps.

If you do not know how to write/develop/insert a XML sitemap, it's easy. Just use the 2 links below and it will help you to generate your very own XML sitemap. Just fill in the specific blanks that required by them.

XML-sitemaps.com
SitemapsPal

So, at the end of the day SEO is not only about keywords and method of optimizations as there are many more to it. Methods that we don't usually see it with directly.

"SEO, more than meets the eyes" wink.gif

This post has been edited by balthazer: Jul 18 2007, 07:19 PM
ahsham
post Sep 23 2007, 06:25 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

A lot of SEO articles suggest putting relevant keywords into your <title> tag.

I came across a local design studio site recently:
ericanfly.com
They have a very long title filled with just keywords.
It does show up quite high in SERP,
but somehow this kind of keyword-filled title made me feel kinda "cheap" - impression-wise...
etsuko
post Sep 24 2007, 02:11 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,210 posts

If you're gonna talk about local design companies..

I know of one who is on the #1 page of Google and has hidden keywords. I do mean literally hidden. Text white...background white.
ahsham
post Sep 24 2007, 06:11 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

I thought Google sees hidden keywords as spamming?
It is number one in "Don't do it" list of SEO.

etsuko
post Sep 24 2007, 09:10 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,210 posts

Don't know... I'm also wondering how come Google hasn't 'ban' them..
SweetPuff
post Sep 27 2007, 11:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,021 posts

I think the content (ie. body text) of the webpages play a part.

I'm also starting to believe search engines like google are lowering down the importance of keywords due to problems with googlefarming/googlebombing.

Keeping your html code nice and tidy should help things along too. Site traffic will play a part with how visible your site is in search engines.
ROCKEY
post Dec 12 2007, 04:10 PM

Getting Started
189 posts

Self Studying SEO for around 1 year. Getting listed is not hard but getting listed on the 1st n 2nd in your main keywords is hard.

Metatag keywords is important but google dont really take it as a important part. Google goes for "relevancy". Some people insert tones of keywords in metatag hoping it will make some magic to their ranking in Google. It is a wrong idea.

Google uses a bot to go through every website. So it reads like a bot reading it and find your website is related to any keywords. So, wondering how a Bot read your website, is all in the view source. Some website is visually well design, with good images and javascripts. But most of the time they dont rank really well in Google. Try to view your website source and see. Is your website is full of scripting or content, description, keywords that is relevant.

So, what Im trying to say is try to make keyword frequency and density higher in content for the keyword you decide to specify. Try to insert the keyword you decide in the TITLE, meta Description, anchor text and repeating it a few times in your content in your page.

In my conclusion, CONTENT is the KING. Good content makes traffic, good content brings backllink, just make sure your content is bot readable. When you rank well in google for certain keywords, you no need to worry about Yahoo and MSN or others SE anymore. Of course there is more stuff to do in SEO but i think content goes 1st.

Just to share my thoughts, any advice and knowledge sharing is welcomed.

This post has been edited by ROCKEY: Dec 12 2007, 04:11 PM
etsuko
post Dec 12 2007, 09:00 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,210 posts

I'm actually going to blog about something I found unfair with Google. And it's related to their warning on using black hat methods. So much for worrying of getting banned.
europology
post Jul 3 2008, 04:24 PM

Pantheon of Goddesses
4,261 posts

BTW, my blog gets listed on google.com but not the malaysian google. any ideas on that? how to solve it? thx...
djzen
post Jul 3 2008, 07:55 PM

Startup life!
2,873 posts

search "google webmaster tools" and set your sites geographical location to malaysia.

but then it might not do so well in the international google site. <-- not too sure.
amerz
post Jul 10 2008, 01:06 PM

On my way
504 posts

One more thing is when you link your site make sure to use relevant name .

Proof:
Try google "Click here" and u will see that adobe is the 1st in the rank and surprisingly there is no such word "Click here" in the content.

It's bcoz a lot of website link to adobe like this Click Here to Download Adobe Reader

And one of my site page also get 1st in google search for "Smallville megaupload" bcoz of some website link to them rclxms.gif

once upon a time~

This post has been edited by amerz: Aug 2 2008, 06:19 PM
fruity
post Jul 11 2008, 04:18 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(t3ch @ May 20 2006, 11:28 AM)
Here`s a meta tag example for those who dont know.
It instructs the spider to visit and spider your entire site every 7 days.

Place between <head> </head>
I'm a noob in all this. Can I use this method for my blog? Am I supposed to paste that html ?but wherE?
djzen
post Jul 13 2008, 12:25 PM

Startup life!
2,873 posts

usually around the top of your html.
between ,<head> and </head>
boonies
post Aug 24 2008, 02:56 PM

Casual
437 posts

I started this thread to share my experience and knowledge about some basic tips on how search engines value your site. As most webmasters and bloggers pay tremendous attention to Google's Pagerank, let me share some tips to work better with traffic.

To get free traffic, it's always important to know that how a search engine works. Search engines love content because people online searches for relevant content, not banners or products. They are looking for reviews, knowledge and most of all satisfaction to their searches. Ads and sales come after they are satisfied with your information that you are providing and the only way to satisfy them is to make sure you know what you are writing and making sure it pleases the audience viewing it.

When they like what you read, they will likely be more open to buy from your site because they treat you as a pro in that particular niche. So write good and provide relevant information to your visitors and you will please them. Now, by pleasing your visitors, you will also please the very thing you want to please, search engines because the search engines job is to please surfers and advertisers..not YOU.

As search engines have evolved tremendously throughout the years, they always observe and track sites with good information for their visitors. They no longer pay too much attention to your keywords (because of keyword spamming) but rather how your visitors behave when they come to your site. They also track how long do visitors stick to the site, because the longer they stay there, it shows that they are reading your content. So if your visitors come to your site and press 'back button' in 1 minute, they will define your site as unworthy or full of junk and will rank you lowly.

Get visitors to read about your site. Provide them with sufficient and good information for them to stay around and return for another visit. All these are logged by Google's alogorithm and will eventually place you on top of the list, or at least within the first top 30 pages. Why do they list you for providing good information? Simple, because Google makes money from Ads..in order for them to make money, people must click on the ads and the chances are much more higher for people that keep on returning to a site to click on an ad than just browsing through your site for a minute.

So in conclusion, want to get valued? want a pagerank? You will have to work with the search engines and not manipulate them because they know..they are worth 6 Billion USD and they have at least 500 smartest people on the planet to make sure you don't outsmart them in SEO..

thumbup.gif

frostfox
post Aug 24 2008, 03:36 PM

the end is near
1,601 posts

nice explenation
djzen
post Aug 24 2008, 03:43 PM

Startup life!
2,873 posts

its about that, plus a few more techniques to get you to the top ranks.
cassplayer
post Aug 24 2008, 03:50 PM

FFFUUUU
3,375 posts

omg imagine if u put that in ur blog post content... sure get very high traffic.... cuz everyone is going on google to search how to improve traffic...
frostfox
post Aug 24 2008, 03:51 PM

the end is near
1,601 posts

but your site may be the last when searching how to improve traffic .. therefore , no visits . stick to 1 content only

11 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.46    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:36 PM