Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

39 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Simple FAQ for Secondary School-Leaver, Guide for moving into tertiary education

views

benQue
post Dec 5 2005, 11:51 PM

i hate nasi lemak
1,322 posts

so..if i take foundation in malaysia..

there is no way for me to take it oversea?

i mean after ive finished my foundation..is it not recognise by other country?

but i heard foundation is the fastest route to get a degree..is it true?

thz in advance.

feynman
post Dec 6 2005, 12:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(benQue @ Dec 5 2005, 11:51 PM)

thz in advance.
Yes it is true, foundation courses typically last for 6-12 months.

We need to be careful when we use this term as foundation is a blanket term which puts everything under one roof.

To give a clearer picture, Some foundations are not recoginised, some are.

For example, engineering foundation at inti college. I believe that it is an internal program, tailored and moderated for certain foreign universities, once you have completed the course with satisfactory result, it is possible for you enrol yourself into one of the engineering twinning programs at inti. However the universities that you can transfer to in your later years or enrol yourself in the first year is pretty much restricted. Only universities which have an agreement with inti allow you to transfer into their programs.

There are also foundation programs which act as a feeder program to the parent university. For example, MUFY, UNSWFY and others. Such courses last for a year and if you meet the minimum requirements, you will be guaranteed a place in that particular university. You will still be able to enrol yourself in another university but you will be subjected to other requirements.

In the end, it depends on what foundation program you are doing.

PS: If you intend to do MUFY or UNSWFY i suggest that you do a broad based pre-u course as the options are wider in the event that you change your mind about the university you wanna go.

azarimy
post Dec 6 2005, 04:45 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(benQue @ Dec 5 2005, 11:51 PM)

thz in advance.
NO! absolutely NOT!

it's a common misconception. foundation is the fastest route to get into a degree course, not the degree itself. u'll face the same syllabus as any other students from A-level or STPM.

feynman have answered ur other questions. smile.gif
azarimy
post Dec 7 2005, 11:50 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

dear thread starter, use this diagram as u fit in explaining the course of study after SPM. explanation:

this diagram below explains what u can do after SPM, if ur considering tertiery studies. the red dotted lines indicate choices that u can make, and the path that u need to take. but it doesnt explain how big a choice u do have.

but i've arranged the diagram so that the option with the biggest choice sits on the top most part. this means that A-level has the biggest option of choice, and foundation is the least. note that foundation is attached to the degree, compared to matriculation. this is due to the nature of the foundation programme itself, that serves as a feeder programme for the degree courses. not all courses offer foundation programmes. most still require u to take matrics or other qualifications.

foundation courses does not usually offer a break. immediately after u finish foundation, u will start ur degree course (if u pass, that is). u cant choose to change the programme. once ur in foundation, it's either finish it, or start another course all over again.

anywhere in this diagram, u can opt to take a certificate qualification programme. u can take this in between or during studies. it's up to u.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
feynman
post Dec 7 2005, 12:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

A person holding an Advanced level qualification must take the IELTS or TOEFL unless the person concerned has a grade C in english in the IGCSE/GCSE/O-levels exams.

PS: 1119 is not regarded as an O-level english paper, O-level english means english exams examined and awarded by GCE awarding bodies.
azarimy
post Dec 7 2005, 04:17 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

feynman, does that mean A-level students still have to take english test to go oversea? can u confirm this? is english at SPM or STPM considered O-level? i might have missed the english requirement in my explanations.

will correct them if it is confirmed.
feynman
post Dec 7 2005, 08:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Dec 7 2005, 04:17 PM)
feynman, does that mean A-level students still have to take english test to go oversea? can u confirm this? is english at SPM or STPM considered O-level? i might have missed the english requirement in my explanations.

will correct them if it is confirmed.
Yes, All A-level students must take IELTS or TOEFL unless one has obtain grade C and above for GCE Ordinary Level/IGCSE/GCSE english.

SPM english is not recognised for a variety of reasons. MUET too is not recognised by foreign universities generally.
QuickFire
post Dec 8 2005, 06:12 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

Now that SPM is over, what options do we have?

Tell me about colleges, matriculation, scholarship, form 6, anything to do after SPM...

Also can someone give me a website all about education regarding what I emntioned above...

Please dont give things like "woo spm over lets lepak around" or "go watch movies la" or anything like that.
CrossharE
post Dec 8 2005, 06:35 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

Looks like you don't know anything about tertiery education. And your'e just asking for someone to spoonfeed you. Info on matrics, STPM, scholarships are given by the school counsellor, what's what they're paid to do. BTW if you want matric and haven't filled in the form your'e too late. Tell me your trial results and I'll show you whats best for you.
But I must note that your topic title is misleading. After SPM is now. That means lepak, movies, looking for jobs etc. What you should have put is education after SPM. My 2 cents.
MoNnY
post Dec 8 2005, 06:39 PM

Ooooo... Now I know how to change this
4,423 posts

there is loads of things u could do... it always depends if u have the money to do it or not... but mostly its also interest...
u could go for Pre-U courses.. check out www.taylors.edu.my or www.sunway.edu.my for courses offered... or if u wanna do business TBS has courses... if u don't have the money u could always do STPM.. look around for schools that offer it...
After that check into the University website that u wanna go to and check if they will accept Pre-U and STPM tranfer credits if u wanna get into a Uni
and for ur info, taylors having open day on the 8th...

This post has been edited by MoNnY: Dec 8 2005, 06:39 PM
Kobis
post Dec 8 2005, 06:44 PM

18 posts

Actualy i agree with crossshare
You should have planned and thought about after spm education before spm
now is the time to relax.
You mustve not studied like gile before spm because u seem so excited to go on.
gee all i want to do now is relax,read books and such.

for matrix you are too late,UPU form also i think too late
what you have left is scholarship and private college
scholarship for non bumi u need to be full straight A1 student
so if urr an average just forget about it.

dont be stupid la.
you got so many years to come that you need to study hard
why spoilt the few precious month after 5 years of high school that you can finally feel freedom??
QuickFire
post Dec 8 2005, 06:49 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,865 posts

QUOTE(CrossharE @ Dec 8 2005, 06:35 PM)
Looks like you don't know anything about tertiery education. And your'e just asking for someone to spoonfeed you. Info on matrics, STPM, scholarships are given by the school counsellor, what's what they're paid to do. BTW if you want matric and haven't filled in the form your'e too late. Tell me your trial results and I'll show you whats best for you.
But I must note that your topic title is misleading. After SPM is now. That means lepak, movies, looking for jobs etc. What you should have put is education after SPM. My 2 cents.
I know just a bit.

Yeah I submitted my matrics form before the deadline.

Trial 9A's 2B's.

Actually I dont really want to be spoonfed, just give me a place to start. Newspaper or website or someplace.

This post has been edited by QuickFire: Dec 8 2005, 06:52 PM
darkages
post Dec 8 2005, 06:59 PM

Jam Bumi
Group Icon
VIP
4,206 posts

the pinned thread should help you
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=210656
CrossharE
post Dec 8 2005, 07:17 PM

Getting Started
255 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 8 2005, 06:49 PM)
I know just a bit.

Trial 9A's 2B's.

Actually I dont really want to be spoonfed, just give me a place to start. Newspaper or website or someplace.
Well then, you don't need to be looking for info on matrics anymore. That's done. So is UPU form. Now, my advice is, since you are an A student, ask for every imaginable scholarship you can find, perticularly UTP (Petronas) and PSD (public service department). So jus buy newspapers everyday, go to edu fairs and isi borang la! About websites I'm not too sure. Anyone can recommend anythin?
feynman
post Dec 8 2005, 08:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Dec 8 2005, 06:49 PM)
I know just a bit.

Trial 9A's 2B's.

start googling......
Aying
post Dec 11 2005, 08:56 PM

Getting Started
118 posts

What about UEC!!! Where does it fit in...
feynman
post Dec 11 2005, 09:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(Aying @ Dec 11 2005, 08:56 PM)
What about UEC!!! Where does it fit in...
Anywhere except local public universities.
CrossharE
post Dec 15 2005, 12:48 AM

Getting Started
255 posts

Are u guys sure that by taking matriculation, I cannot apply for overseas Uni? How bout scholarships for overseas Uni? Can I apply for that with Matrics?

This post has been edited by CrossharE: Dec 15 2005, 12:50 AM
allenultra
post Dec 15 2005, 01:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,026 posts

QUOTE(CrossharE @ Dec 15 2005, 12:48 AM)
Are u guys sure that by taking matriculation, I cannot apply for overseas Uni? How bout scholarships for overseas Uni? Can I apply for that with Matrics?
matriculation only for local U, certain local IPTS(I'm not sure do all IPTS recognize matriculation....).

U can always apply JPA/petronas/Proton/Telekom scholarship with matriculation result.
feynman
post Dec 15 2005, 02:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(CrossharE @ Dec 15 2005, 12:48 AM)
Only to the US as proof of completion of secondary studies, you must have the SATs too.

39 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:28 AM