Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Wiring guide : 3 color wire (green, blue,black), Which one neutral, live and earth

views

idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 08:54 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 8 2014, 08:51 PM)
Can be say, all the local using terminal block.

Most of the western is using cap.

But I using molex connector.
molex needs special crimping tool right but for lights is okay, i guess
terminal blocks - i scared it melts and the two terminal touch.
caps - i dont know if it will work or come loose for big gauge wire and one small wire (like you connect those drivers to existing wiring) i guess needs to get the correct size cap which i do not know how to determine

any advice?

This post has been edited by idoblu: Sep 8 2014, 08:57 PM
weikee
post Sep 8 2014, 08:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 08:45 PM)
how you guys connect the wires together?
using those terminal blocks
http://www.mdnsupplies.co.uk/shop/terminal-block-lg.jpg

or these electrical caps?
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Proje...U_WIRCON_01.JPG
Terminal block good for simple and low current usage equipments like light and fan. High current stuff I use solder and shrink tapes.
weikee
post Sep 8 2014, 09:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

Hard to reach area caps are good. If high current use caps need to be careful may burn if not properly screw, loose connection will cause heat=burn=fire.
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:07 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 08:54 PM)
molex needs special crimping tool right but for lights is okay, i guess
terminal blocks - i scared it melts and the two terminal touch.
caps - i dont know if it will work or come loose for  big gauge wire and one small wire (like you connect those drivers to existing wiring)

any advice?
Molex connector are more secure and can run higher amp. Can plug/unplug without switch off. No wrong connection pluging since it have a 1way connect. But yes, it need tool to clamp.

Terminal block have been using for very longtime. If the wire size is big, use bigger terminal. It doesn't melt. But after some longtime, the plastic start to degrade. The bad about it is that the thick gauge wire will easy broken if the screw too tight.

Caps is easy to use. No tool use. Just hand. You need to twist the wire together first. Than twist the cap into the wire till it lock. Don't worry about it. It pretty secure. Unless you not lock it tight enough. It come in many size. So use correctly.

There is another type of cap. Which also twist the wire and cap in. Instead of twist the cap, this cap need tool to clamp it. Pretty common in local here.
idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 09:08 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Sep 8 2014, 09:06 PM)
Hard to reach area caps are good. If high current use caps need to be careful may burn if not properly screw, loose connection will cause heat=burn=fire.
nowadays the terminal blocks also low quality. sometimes the screw got no thread wan, or bad thread so they come loose and arc. got no branded terminal blocks?

idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 09:13 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 8 2014, 09:07 PM)
Molex connector are more secure and can run higher amp. Can plug/unplug without switch off. No wrong connection pluging since it have a 1way connect. But yes, it need tool to clamp.

Terminal block have been using for very longtime. If the wire size is big, use bigger terminal. It doesn't melt. But after some longtime, the plastic start to degrade. The bad about it is that the thick gauge wire will easy broken if the screw too tight.

Caps is easy to use. No tool use. Just hand. You need to twist the wire together first. Than twist the cap into the wire till it lock. Don't worry about it. It pretty secure. Unless you not lock it tight enough. It come in many size. So use correctly.

There is another type of cap. Which also twist the wire and cap in. Instead of twist the cap, this cap need tool to clamp it. Pretty common in local here.
if one wire is thick (those stiff type - not many strands) and one wire is tiny (very thin), I think the cap may not hold them and the thin wire may come loose. if both wires same size I think i have more confidence they be ok in the long run.

Im gonna get a bunch of different size to try but have to waste the whole bag if its wrong

This post has been edited by idoblu: Sep 8 2014, 09:14 PM
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:17 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 09:08 PM)
nowadays the terminal blocks also low quality. sometimes the screw got no thread wan, or bad thread so they come loose and arc. got no branded terminal blocks?
Oh forget. Terminal block is prefer mostly here is because it easy to make connection to your light. The developer just standby the wire with terminal block at the box.

If using cap, developer cannot put a cap on the wire. The wire will be bare like that. It is dangerous.
Fazab
post Sep 8 2014, 09:20 PM

On my way
518 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 8 2014, 08:20 PM)
Q1 = that is live wire. Not loop. And probably a 3phase wire. Which each color represent R, S, T.

Q2 = correct.

Q3 = if the wire have same color, that mean no polarity. Which way also can.

Q4 = if your downlight casing is metal, you need to ground it. In case the light short and somebody touch it.

Q5 = correct. If you pull out, others light will not light.
Thanks a bundle

Q4 - casing is aluminium I think. All ceiling light, minimum 8 feet high. How to ground it?

Attached Image

That more or less how they look like.
Fazab
post Sep 8 2014, 09:23 PM

On my way
518 posts

All my life only see terminal blocks everywhere.

The only caps I ever saw is in the Fanco baby fan in my kitchen, made in Singapore.
The wireman who installed the fan didn't know how to use it. In the end change to blocks. sweat.gif
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 09:13 PM)
if one wire is thick (those stiff type - not many strands) and one wire is tiny (very thin), I think the cap may not hold them and the thin wire may come loose. if both wires same size I think i have more confidence they be ok in the long run.

Im gonna get a bunch of different size to try but have to waste the whole bag if its wrong
Easy. Teach you some trick.

Strip the insulator of both wire longer. Twist together. Than bend the wire u shape. Put the cap in. When you bend the wire u shape, it lock both wire. So you can't pull the small wire out.
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(Fazab @ Sep 8 2014, 09:20 PM)
Thanks a bundle

Q4 -  casing is aluminium I think. All ceiling light, minimum 8 feet high. How to ground it? 

Attached Image

That more or less how they look like.
You need another green wire to touch the alu casing. Either secure by the screw lock on the casing.
idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 09:29 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 8 2014, 09:24 PM)
Easy. Teach you some trick.

Strip the insulator of both wire longer. Twist together. Than bend the wire u shape. Put the cap in. When you bend the wire u shape, it lock both wire. So you can't pull the small wire out.
ok will try that. ya man if i use terminal blocks, i also scared the thin wire will break if screwed on too tight...sigh
btw developers where got put terminal blocks for you? they leave it bare. they cut the insulation a bit and twist together.

ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:33 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 09:29 PM)
ok will try that. ya man if i use terminal blocks, i also scared the thin wire will break if screwed on too tight...sigh
btw developers where got put terminal blocks for you? they leave it bare. they cut the insulation a bit and twist together.
Walau er. Cost down till like that. Not expensive ma the terminal block. mad.gif

Last time I still can see terminated with a terminal block on it.
idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 09:34 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

user posted image
you see how thin these wires....
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 09:49 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 09:34 PM)
user posted image
you see how thin these wires....
This 1 not thin la. Got more worst than this. Specially those cheapskate china electrical.
weikee
post Sep 8 2014, 11:11 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 09:29 PM)
If Wires too thin, the block will not secure the wires properly. Fold back the wires into the wire insulator, so the top is copper, bottom is wire insulator, put it on the terminal block. This way you secure the wires, and copper are properly touching the conductor.
idoblu
post Sep 8 2014, 11:14 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Sep 8 2014, 11:11 PM)
If Wires too thin, the block will not secure the wires properly. Fold back the wires into the wire insulator, so the top is copper, bottom is wire insulator, put it on the terminal block. This way you secure the wires, and copper are properly touching the conductor.
I wonder if I should not strip the insulation at all. Just tighten the screw till it cuts into the insulation. I always do that for three pin plugs tongue.gif

weikee
post Sep 8 2014, 11:49 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Sep 8 2014, 11:14 PM)
I wonder if I should not strip the insulation at all. Just tighten the screw till it cuts into the insulation. I always do that for three pin plugs  tongue.gif
Nope, contact will not be good.
ozak
post Sep 8 2014, 11:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(weikee @ Sep 8 2014, 11:11 PM)
This way the wire always break inside the insulator after tight the screw. And there is possible the thin wire didn't touch the screw at all. Just the insulator is tight by the screw.

There is another way is to get a straight metal connector. Clamp the wire on it. Than screw it to terminal block.
weikee
post Sep 9 2014, 01:20 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 8 2014, 11:56 PM)
This way the wire always break inside the insulator after tight the screw.  And there is possible the thin wire didn't touch the screw at all. Just the insulator is tight by the screw.

There is another way is to get a straight metal connector. Clamp the wire on it. Than screw it to terminal block.
Roll the wires together, and turn it back to touch the insulator. This will work better. if have soldering, just solder the copper and put inside the block.

BTW, lots of people don't know how to join wires when solder. This site show proper way http://www.ripsdiy.co.za/cablesandwires.shtml

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 AM