Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What will happen if i dont activate my credit card

views

TSnickenstein
post Mar 23 2011, 07:26 PM, updated 14y ago

Getting Started
206 posts

Recently a salesman came to me selling a credit card from Public Bank. After hearing the deal I decided to sign up for the card. Right after I've signed for the Public Bank Card, he took out another 4 application forms from other banks and ask me to help him to sign them. He told me that it is for him to hit his sales target and I can cancel it after I got the card and there's no annual fees charged. So, without thinking much i signed the other papers too.

After a few weeks, those cards are mailed to me. Now I thinking not to activate them, will there be any bad consequences?

The credit cards that I've signed are as follow:

1. Public Bank
2. Alliance Bank
3. Standard Charted
4. Hong Leong Bank

Any helps are much appreciated.

P/S: Currently I'm using CIMB Credit Card.
Human Nature
post Mar 23 2011, 07:40 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,133 posts

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am afraid that you will be charged GST. Sorry to say this, being kind hearted is one thing, but this is simply too naive.
cyberskull
post Mar 23 2011, 07:48 PM

Casual
409 posts

Annual Govt tax is RM50/card.. times 4 =RM200 gone
chemistry
post Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,042 posts

QUOTE(nickenstein @ Mar 23 2011, 07:26 PM)
He told me that it is for him to hit his sales target and I can cancel it after I got the card and there's no annual fees charged. So, without thinking much i signed the other papers too.
There is usually a first year or two-year annual fee waiver for new card.
However, he didn't say GST is waived as well wor...You're gonna be charged multiple GSTs soon.
Learn this expensive lesson.
Gen-X
post Mar 23 2011, 07:59 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

Recently a salesman came to me selling a credit card from Public Bank. After hearing the deal I decided to sign up for the card. Right after I've signed for the Public Bank Card, he took out another 4 application forms from other banks and ask me to help him to sign them. He told me that it is for him to hit his sales target and I can cancel it after I got the card and there's no annual fees charged. So, without thinking much i signed the other papers too.

After a few weeks, those cards are mailed to me. Now I thinking not to activate them, will there be any bad consequences?

1. Public Bank
2. Alliance Bank
3. Standard Charted
4. Hong Leong Bank

I think all the cards you mentioned don't need activation. Call CS and tell them you don't want the card and see what they say. By the way, did you get any cash incentive with Stand Chart?

If your salary less than RM36K, you have good reason stating that you signed up before bank negara ruling and now you can only have two cards.
hye
post Mar 23 2011, 10:06 PM

White Tiger
Group Icon
3,267 posts

QUOTE(chemistry @ Mar 23 2011, 07:50 PM)
There is usually a first year or two-year annual fee waiver for new card.
However, he didn't say GST is waived as well wor...You're gonna be charged multiple GSTs soon.
Learn this expensive lesson.
Sounds cruel but I have to agree with most of the folks here.
Next time don't be so naive. It is easy to cancel a card but to get that GST waiver ... good luck!
airline
post Mar 25 2011, 07:55 AM

7 stars
7,923 posts

That salesman get many commission already
max_cjs0101
post Mar 25 2011, 03:46 PM

Tarp hater and detector
Group Icon
Staff
1,361 posts

When your card has been delivered to you, normally the GST will be atuomatically charged but IF you don't use the card and you request to cancel it then you wont need to pay the GST.
To be safe, contact your card issuer.
TSnickenstein
post Mar 25 2011, 07:42 PM

Getting Started
206 posts

omg... damn that salesman mad.gif . I'll contact the bank and see how it goes

anyway thanks for the help
Amanda85
post Mar 26 2011, 01:17 PM

Scuderia Ferrari
2,232 posts

if u never use the card or have no outstanding balance, you can request to remove the GST... i tried that b4 by calling the CS...

if one CS tell you, he can't remove it... tried calling the second time n talk to another CS.

i have a experience whereby the first CS bullshit to me that i need to pay that RM50 eventhough i never use that card. but when i call in the second time, the nice lady help me waived it.
beyond86
post Mar 28 2011, 12:18 PM

Regular
1,956 posts

ya. I tried Public Bank, never activate/swipe the cards, no need pay the GST.
But not for Hong Leong Bank, u still need to pay RM50 although u terminated the card without activate/swipe.
uNeVErwaLkaloNe
post Mar 28 2011, 03:38 PM

God Sniffing!!!
1,889 posts

1. Public Bank
2. Alliance Bank
3. Standard Charted
4. Hong Leong Bank

I apply for SC, card were automatically activated and GST were charged. If you apply during promotion, I believe you will have some cashback, so you no need to worry about GST.
ak1977
post Mar 28 2011, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Mar 25 2011, 03:46 PM)
When your card has been delivered to you, normally the GST will be atuomatically charged but IF you don't use the card and you request to cancel it then you wont need to pay the GST.
To be safe, contact your card issuer.
Please do not assume, it does not means the card is not activated is you didnt used the card you need to make sure the card was activated or not. Under the BNM ruling card issuer are not allow to send a preactivated card or a live card. A lot of customer get caught into this thing because they said the didnt used the card and want the GST to be waived. If it is a existing card you need to cancel the card before the annivesary date. dont used card does not mean card not activated.. need to check.

Added on March 28, 2011, 4:40 pm
QUOTE(nickenstein @ Mar 25 2011, 07:42 PM)
omg... damn that salesman  mad.gif . I'll contact the bank and see how it goes

anyway thanks for the help
Not sure this will have much of help,bcos under the new Credit Card guidelines.

Marketing Practices
17.4 Sales and marketing representatives should be required to highlight the following at the minimum, to consumers to ensure that the consumers are provided with the relavant information before making decision:
a. Profit rates means interest
b.fee and charges
c.eligibility criteria to enjoy priviliges.
d.card holder responsibilities.

17.10 Cardholders should be given the opportunity to revoke the credit card applications even after receiving the credit cards without any charges or unreasonable inconvenience, if it is established that sales and marketing agensts had coerced the cardholders into applying and/or the cardholders were not given enough time to consider the applications.

so by using this 2 points you can argue back lah.. hope it will help you. btw they are right... need to be more careful when applying credit card.

This post has been edited by ak1977: Mar 28 2011, 04:40 PM
Gen-X
post Mar 28 2011, 09:55 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(ak1977 @ Mar 28 2011, 04:33 PM)

Marketing Practices
17.4 Sales and marketing representatives should be required to highlight the following at the minimum, to consumers to ensure that the consumers are provided with the relavant information before making decision:
b.fee and charges

17.10 Cardholders should be given the opportunity to revoke the credit card applications even after receiving the credit cards without any charges or unreasonable inconvenience, if it is established that sales and marketing agensts had coerced the cardholders into applying and/or the cardholders were not given enough time to consider the applications.

so by using this 2 points you can argue back lah.. hope it will help you. btw they are right... need to be more careful when applying credit card.
Can you please give a link to the entire Credit Card guidelines? If no link, can you please scan it an attach here.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Mar 28 2011, 09:56 PM
max_cjs0101
post Mar 28 2011, 10:41 PM

Tarp hater and detector
Group Icon
Staff
1,361 posts

QUOTE(ak1977 @ Mar 28 2011, 04:33 PM)
Please do not assume, it does not means the card is not activated is you didnt used the card you need to make sure the card was activated or not. Under the BNM ruling card issuer are not allow to send a preactivated card or a live card. A lot of customer get caught into this thing because they said the didnt used the card and want the GST to be waived. If it is a existing card you need to cancel the card before the annivesary date. dont used card does not mean card not activated.. need to check.

Added on March 28, 2011, 4:40 pm

Marketing Practices
b.fee and charges

What are you talking about?
it does not means the card is not activated is you didnt used the card you need to make sure the card was activated or not.

huh?Proper english please.
ak1977
post Mar 29 2011, 12:22 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Mar 28 2011, 09:55 PM)
Can you please give a link to the entire Credit Card guidelines? If no link,  can you please scan it an attach here.
Need to check whether can share freely with the public or not.. i dont want latter got issue then susah... happy.gif hope you understand

Added on March 29, 2011, 12:35 am
QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Mar 28 2011, 10:41 PM)
What are you talking about?

huh?Proper english please.
What I mean is that when a credit card is not activated does not means you can get a GST reversal. GST guideline say that cardholder will be charge for the GST when the card was issued, it does not matter whether you activated the card or not.

However under the new Credit Card guideline, there is a chance for the cardholder to argue back under the clause 17.4 & 17.10.

i reply the above bcos you say this:

"When your card has been delivered to you, normally the GST will be automatically charged but IF you don't use the card and you request to cancel it then you wont need to pay the GST."

There is different between card issued before GST announcement and after, bcos newly issued card will get charge once card issued. However for those cards issued before GST as long as you didnt activated it or used it before the GST charge you can get a reversal.

Hope this clarified your doubt.

This post has been edited by ak1977: Mar 29 2011, 12:36 AM
max_cjs0101
post Mar 29 2011, 12:44 AM

Tarp hater and detector
Group Icon
Staff
1,361 posts

QUOTE(ak1977 @ Mar 29 2011, 12:22 AM)
Need to check whether can share freely with the public or not.. i dont want latter got issue then susah... happy.gif hope you understand

Added on March 29, 2011, 12:35 am

What I mean is that when a credit card is not activated does not means you can get a GST reversal. GST guideline say that cardholder will be charge for the GST when the card was issued, it does not matter whether you activated the card or not.

However under the new Credit Card guideline, there is a chance for the cardholder to argue back under the clause 17.4 & 17.10.

i reply the above bcos you say this:

"When your card has been delivered to you, normally the GST will be automatically charged but IF you don't use the card and you request to cancel it then you wont need to pay the GST."

There is different between card issued before GST announcement and after, bcos newly issued card will get charge once card issued. However for those cards issued before GST as long as you didnt activated it or used it before the GST charge you can get a reversal.

Hope this clarified your doubt.
Hence, i said contact your card issuer.
I still don't get you as your sentences are broken.
Anyway, you know what, let's just leave it there. For those who are in doubt its safer to contact your bank.
ak1977
post Mar 29 2011, 12:55 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(max_cjs0101 @ Mar 29 2011, 12:44 AM)
Hence, i said contact your card issuer.
I still don't get you as your sentences are broken.
Anyway, you know what, let's just leave it there. For those who are in doubt its safer to contact your bank.
Sentence are broken?? where...

anyway, you can remove my update if you want since it confuse you.

Dannyl
post Mar 30 2011, 09:25 AM

what the fucuk-yimai
6,113 posts

The commission will be retracted if the card is cancelled within 6 months of application/issuance. I suggest cancelling all 4 cards so he doesn't profit from you at all.
hye
post Mar 30 2011, 02:08 PM

White Tiger
Group Icon
3,267 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Mar 30 2011, 09:25 AM)
The commission will be retracted if the card is cancelled within 6 months of application/issuance.  I suggest cancelling all 4 cards so he doesn't profit from you at all.
Actually in the first place, consumers need to think carefully before they sign up for the card. I have seen many came in here asking where can get freebies prior to application thus I suspect the intention of the cc application. It is actually the fault of both parties (consumers and the bank) and both are exploiting the weakness of each other.
bookstore
post Mar 30 2011, 02:14 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

Normally, bank charge GST at the moment they issue it, no matter you activate it or not.

If you ignore the card, not activate it, not calling the issuer to waive the GST or whatever. You might get into the bank internal blacklist, but not into CCRIS CTOS. I would not want my name to get internal blacklist just bcoz of RM 50.

asil66
post Jul 30 2012, 11:42 AM

Casual
400 posts

Need help urgently...

When I applied for my car loan in January this year, MBB gave me a credit card as well without me applying for it. Since I got the card, I have never activated it. I have just activated the card last week and to my horror, I see that there are some late charges of RM5 per month since the card is being issued. The late charges is for the GST which I was not informed of. There were no correspondence whatsoever to inform me of the GST or late payments.

Now, before I call n make noise with their customer service, is it fair for me to ask for waiver of those late charges? The amount is not much but still, I don't think they should charge me for it.

Sifus please advise.
patrickthissen
post Dec 11 2013, 06:55 PM

Casual
375 posts

In this case, can we call to bank to cancel application before they issue us the card + charge us GST??

blibala
post Dec 12 2013, 11:02 PM

Regular
1,775 posts

Same thing happened to me. Recently i applied housing loan from cxmb bank. The salesman told me credit card is bundled in the loan package. And if i dont need it, i can cancel it wihout having to pay single cent upon received the card. Eventually my loan got approved but i rejected tehir offer. Two weeks later a platinum card sent to me. I did not activate the card and i call customer careline to cancel since i dont need it. They allow me to cancel it but insist i need to pay for gst.. Wtf. I applied housing loan and i got credit card and i cant cancel it without paying gst. I also dont want to get blacklisted due to rm50.

Ok. Can i complain to bank negara because the salesman gave me wrong info or misled me? I dont want to pay gst
alexwsk
post Dec 13 2013, 11:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,037 posts

QUOTE(blibala @ Dec 12 2013, 11:02 PM)
Same thing happened to me. Recently i applied housing loan from cxmb bank. The salesman told me credit card is bundled in the loan package. And if i dont need it, i can cancel it wihout having to pay single cent upon received the card. Eventually my loan got approved but i rejected tehir offer. Two weeks later a platinum card sent to me. I did not activate the card and i call customer careline to cancel since i dont need it. They allow me to cancel it but insist i need to pay for gst.. Wtf. I applied housing loan and i got credit card and i cant cancel it without paying gst. I also dont want to get blacklisted due to rm50.

Ok. Can i complain to bank negara because the salesman gave me wrong info or misled me? I dont want to pay gst
same old tactic
lodge a complain to bnm, said salesperson misled u the cc is bundled with the loan
most likely cimb will let u cancel without paying RM50
blibala
post Dec 13 2013, 12:32 PM

Regular
1,775 posts

QUOTE(alexwsk @ Dec 13 2013, 11:21 AM)
same old tactic
lodge a complain to bnm, said salesperson misled u the cc is bundled with the loan
most likely cimb will let u cancel without paying RM50
No. They insist they cannot waive the RM50 GST. If they want to bundle the credit card into the housing loan, they should only issue the card if the applicant already signed their housing loan offer letter. Else it is unfair and forcing people taking their card.

Other banks said credit card is optional and never forced me to apply for it during loan application. Only CIMB did. Now give me so many problem.. vmad.gif vmad.gif vmad.gif
Human Nature
post Dec 13 2013, 12:43 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,133 posts

QUOTE(blibala @ Dec 13 2013, 12:32 PM)
No. They insist they cannot waive the RM50 GST. If they want to bundle the credit card into the housing loan, they should only issue the card if the applicant already signed their housing loan offer letter. Else it is unfair and forcing people taking their card.

Other banks said credit card is optional and never forced me to apply for it during loan application. Only CIMB did. Now give me so many problem.. vmad.gif  vmad.gif  vmad.gif
Just send an email to Bank Negara.
brightjoey
post Dec 14 2013, 12:19 AM

Getting Started
231 posts

I too signed up for 3 credit cards. But they assured me that no annual fee will be paid on the 1st year and so I won't have to pay a cent.

Now there with GST, I really hoped I won't have to pay at all. If it cost me GST I rather not have many credit cards unless I'm sure I want it.
alexwsk
post Dec 14 2013, 01:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,037 posts

QUOTE(brightjoey @ Dec 14 2013, 12:19 AM)
I too signed up for 3 credit cards. But they assured me that no annual fee will be paid on the 1st year and so I won't have to pay a cent.

Now there with GST, I really hoped I won't have to pay at all. If it cost me GST I rather not have many credit cards unless I'm sure I want it.
annual fees and GST are different matters
try to call and check whether you can cancel without paying the GST, else keep it with you for a year

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:57 PM