Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

171 Pages « < 166 167 168 169 170 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

views

iliyawho
post May 5 2019, 01:47 AM

3 posts

Salam, I'm studying urban planning in utm utm and am interested in taking architecture after graduation. i met a practicing architect in KL where she has a degree in engineering but continued her master in arch (overseas) and still managed to continued practicing. i was wondering if that could be the same for me, if i could take master in arch (overseas) even with a non-architecture degree?

if i couldnt, i would want to go for utmspace in jb. how long do you think my duration of study in utm space would be?

thank u so much for your time!
TSazarimy
post May 5 2019, 08:13 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(iliyawho @ May 5 2019, 01:47 AM)
Salam, I'm studying urban planning in utm utm and am interested in taking architecture after graduation. i met a practicing architect in KL where she has a degree in engineering but continued her master in arch (overseas) and still managed to continued practicing. i was wondering if that could be the same for me, if i could take master in arch (overseas) even with a non-architecture degree?

if i couldnt, i would want to go for utmspace in jb. how long do you think my duration of study in utm space would be?

thank u so much for your time!
You can't practice architecture in Malaysia unless you have both Part 1 degree and Part 2 masters. I assume the architect you spoke to has a degree and masters in architecture too. If not, she's practicing illegally and can be sued under architects act.

In your situation, you will still need to obtain the Bachelor of Science in Architecture on top of your Urban Planning degree, or alternatively switch to architecture now before you graduate (this can save some time, and easier to apply for placement). Then continue for your masters for Part 2.

This will take about 5 years, including credit transfers.

At the moment, we have yet to offer B.Sc.Architecture under UTM SPACE. So that's not an option, I'm afraid.
ianh.cj P
post May 9 2019, 03:48 PM

Probation
20 posts

What is a career closest to architecture/landscape/urban planning that a mechanical engineering graduate can pursue?
TSazarimy
post May 9 2019, 08:54 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(ianh.cj @ May 9 2019, 03:48 PM)
What is a career closest to architecture/landscape/urban planning that a mechanical engineering graduate can pursue?
Why closest?

Interior design, industrial design, building construction.

Heck, mechanical engineers do work with architects a lot. That would be as close as you can get to architecture without marrying one...
[ohmyenglish]
post Jun 10 2019, 11:42 PM

20 posts

hi mr azarimy, would like to ask with our part 1 and part 2 from malaysia, can we also work in singapore? As i dont see any of our universities listed in the list of recognised school/ programme at the board of architects singapore. thx!
TSazarimy
post Jun 10 2019, 11:49 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(ohmyenglish @ Jun 10 2019, 11:42 PM)
hi mr azarimy, would like to ask with our part 1 and part 2 from malaysia, can we also work in singapore? As i dont see any of our universities listed in the list of recognised school/ programme at the board of architects singapore. thx!
The Singaporean architectural practice is slightly different from ours, their recognition system included. I'm not exactly sure why and how.

But as far as I know, my former students didn't have any problem securing a job in Singapore both after part 1 and part 2, despite not listed in the recognized schools.
[ohmyenglish]
post Jun 11 2019, 12:00 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 10 2019, 11:49 PM)
The Singaporean architectural practice is slightly different from ours, their recognition system included. I'm not exactly sure why and how.

But as far as I know, my former students didn't have any problem securing a job in Singapore both after part 1 and part 2, despite not listed in the recognized schools.
ic, that should works then. tq for your inputs!
mooncaelum
post Jun 18 2019, 09:34 AM

9 posts

Hi Mr Azarimy , I'm curious about the BS Arch (Part-time) programme offered by UTM SPACE. In their website it states their programmes are recognized by LAM and other government bodies. So I'm guessing that the BS Arch programme is LAM Part 1 ? And also there's not much info on how the classes are conducted and the fees structure is very confusing. Is this programme more than 3 years since its part time? Hopefully you can answer my questions because the website doesn't provide clear details. Thank you very much.

This post has been edited by mooncaelum: Jun 18 2019, 09:41 AM
TSazarimy
post Jun 18 2019, 12:33 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mooncaelum @ Jun 18 2019, 09:34 AM)
Hi Mr Azarimy , I'm curious about the BS Arch (Part-time) programme offered by UTM SPACE. In their website it states their programmes are recognized by LAM and other government bodies. So I'm guessing that the BS Arch programme is LAM Part 1 ? And also there's not much info on how the classes are conducted and the fees structure is very confusing. Is this programme more than 3 years since its part time? Hopefully you can answer my questions because the website doesn't provide clear details. Thank you very much.
Can you give me the link? As far as I know, we haven't offered B.Sc.Arch (part-time). We're currently finishing off the leftover students from the old B.Arch programme. At the moment we only offer M.Arch PESISIR (part-time).
mooncaelum
post Jun 18 2019, 04:41 PM

9 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 18 2019, 12:33 PM)
Can you give me the link? As far as I know, we haven't offered B.Sc.Arch (part-time). We're currently finishing off the leftover students from the old B.Arch programme. At the moment we only offer M.Arch PESISIR (part-time).
https://www4.utmspace.edu.my/admission/

Brochure
https://www4.utmspace.edu.my/wp-content/upl...e-Programme.pdf

This post has been edited by mooncaelum: Jun 18 2019, 04:47 PM
TSazarimy
post Jun 18 2019, 08:49 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mooncaelum @ Jun 18 2019, 04:41 PM)
That looks like an old brochure. UTM no longer offer Bachelor of Architecture (part time) a while back. If I'm not mistaken, the last intake was in 2013. Either the brochure is old, or they accidentally included a defunct programme in the list.

To answer your earlier questions:

1. The old B.Arch (part time) was recognized with LAM part 2. But since it's no longer offered, you cannot apply here. And the B.Sc.Architecture programme (the one to replace the B.Arch) is yet to be offered. So it's not yet recognized (obviously). If it's offered, it would be equivalent to LAM part 1.

2. I cannot comment on course content, syllabus or fee structure yet.

3. For a part time degree, it would usually take around 5 years to complete.
mooncaelum
post Jun 19 2019, 09:08 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 18 2019, 08:49 PM)
That looks like an old brochure. UTM no longer offer Bachelor of Architecture (part time) a while back. If I'm not mistaken, the last intake was in 2013. Either the brochure is old, or they accidentally included a defunct programme in the list.

To answer your earlier questions:

1. The old B.Arch (part time) was recognized with LAM part 2. But since it's no longer offered, you cannot apply here. And the B.Sc.Architecture programme (the one to replace the B.Arch) is yet to be offered. So it's not yet recognized (obviously). If it's offered, it would be equivalent to LAM part 1.

2. I cannot comment on course content, syllabus or fee structure yet.

3. For a part time degree, it would usually take around 5 years to complete.
Thank you for clearing my doubts about the programme because it was not included in LAM accredited courses. Hopefully they'll correct the error on the website. Thank you for responding.

This post has been edited by mooncaelum: Jun 19 2019, 09:13 AM
Skisz
post Jun 21 2019, 02:07 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

Does anybody have any idea as to why BSc Arch holder cannot apply for Penolong Pegawai Senibina in government sector?
TSazarimy
post Jun 21 2019, 08:47 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Skisz @ Jun 21 2019, 02:07 AM)
Does anybody have any idea as to why BSc Arch holder cannot apply for Penolong Pegawai Senibina in government sector?
This is what I could gather so far:

PPS is N41 post which for Part I.
Pem Teknik is J27 -- for Dip Sbina
Pen Arkitek is J41 -- is for Part II

I'm still inquiring about your question. But as far as I understood it, you should be able to apply for PPS. Perhaps the difference is the Gred Gaji. My colleagues are not sure whether PPS is N41 or N27.

What position/gred did you apply to?
canbeanybody P
post Jun 21 2019, 02:21 PM

Probation
1 posts

Hi Mr Azarimy , I going to graduate soon this year with Bachelor of Urban & Regional Planning. I wonder is there any opportunity for urban planning students getting into architecture firm or company? Because I noticed there are architecture firms that offer urban planning as services but majority all of the worker are architects. I'm really interested apply a job at architecture firm to widen my perspective as an urban planning students. Thank you
Skisz
post Jun 21 2019, 05:31 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jun 21 2019, 08:47 AM)
This is what I could gather so far:

PPS is N41 post which for Part I.
Pem Teknik is J27 -- for Dip Sbina
Pen Arkitek is J41 -- is for Part II

I'm still inquiring about your question. But as far as I understood it, you should be able to apply for PPS. Perhaps the difference is the Gred Gaji. My colleagues are not sure whether PPS is N41 or N27.

What position/gred did you apply to?
When applying in SPA website, the PPS position does not appear in the “jawatan yang layak dipohon” section. It only shows Arkitek. No PPS and also no Pem Teknik
TSazarimy
post Jun 21 2019, 09:15 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Skisz @ Jun 21 2019, 05:31 PM)
When applying in SPA website, the PPS position does not appear in the “jawatan yang layak dipohon” section. It only shows Arkitek. No PPS and also no Pem Teknik
I'm afraid my circle of friends are quite in the dark to your situation. I think it's best to inquire directly to SPA for faster, more reliable reply.

Do inform me of their reply. I'm doing my own follow up. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

TSazarimy
post Jun 21 2019, 09:20 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(canbeanybody @ Jun 21 2019, 02:21 PM)
Hi Mr Azarimy , I going to graduate soon this year with Bachelor of Urban & Regional Planning. I wonder is there any opportunity for urban planning students getting into architecture firm or company? Because I noticed there are architecture firms that offer urban planning as services but majority all of the worker are architects. I'm really interested apply a job at architecture firm to widen my perspective as an urban planning students. Thank you
Hi there. I'm pretty sure there are, particularly the larger firms as they do developments and townships as well. Firms like GDP, Hijjas Kasturi, Veritas or Ken Yeang would be a good start.

As to what you can offer exactly, I'm not quite sure as I don't have a lot of experience in such matters. Hopefully readers here can assist.
winkean P
post Sep 16 2019, 05:57 PM

Probation
2 posts

HI,Mr Azarimy. I am currently done my course of Diploma in Interior Architecture(Design) and now I was thinking that I rather take Bachelor Of Science (Hons) In Architecture to further my study. So,when I visit the City University, they said that for my Diploma in Interior Architecture goes to Bachelor Of Science (Hons) In Architecture, I can get 1 semester exemption.The exemption subject was included Architecture Design 1, Architecture Design 2 and other 4 subjects. Do you think that, interior design student can direct handle the Architecture Deign 3 subject in first semester? and also do you recommend study in City University ?
TSazarimy
post Sep 16 2019, 07:22 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(winkean @ Sep 16 2019, 05:57 PM)
HI,Mr Azarimy. I am currently done my course of Diploma in Interior Architecture(Design) and now I was thinking that I rather take Bachelor Of Science (Hons) In Architecture to further my study. So,when I visit the City University, they said that for my Diploma in Interior Architecture goes to Bachelor Of Science (Hons) In Architecture, I can get 1 semester exemption.The exemption subject was included Architecture Design 1, Architecture Design 2 and other 4 subjects. Do you think that, interior design student can direct handle the Architecture Deign 3 subject in first semester? and also do you recommend study in City University ?
Hi there. Most architecture programmes in Malaysia nowadays will focus the 1st year on design fundamentals. Remember your 1st year of Dip. IA? You don't really design anything significant, right? It's more about playing, exploring and self-discovery. It's the same here, just different context and scale. And LAM do not allow 1st years to go beyond the scale of a bungalow at the end of 1st year, something I'm pretty sure you've covered in your IA diploma.

So don't worry about jumping straight to Design 3. You should be fine.

Regarding the uni, City Uni is as good as any other. I have some friends teaching there; people whom I respect and believe in producing quality students above all else. So go for it!

171 Pages « < 166 167 168 169 170 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0205sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:24 AM