18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Simple Guide for Fresh Graduates, Also for would be graduates

views

craze fad
post Feb 10 2011, 03:20 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

doh.gif I'VE BEEN THROUGH A LOT after graduation. why isnt this guide available back then...!? its a good guide - simple yet comprehensive which is why not many replies (nothing much to add to the guide). great job.

slowpoker
post Feb 10 2011, 10:01 AM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(fifi99 @ Jan 8 2011, 08:47 PM)
few month later, i will graduate and start my working life,
thnx for all of these guide, it is very helpful to me,
i need to prepare myself right now to survive in the future  cool2.gif
i also will graduate next month..late march probably.. smile.gif

thanks to ts for giving nice and simple guide.. rclxms.gif

i hv start searching for a job but i'm so worried bcoz my pointer is not so good (below 3.00) cry.gif
sweet_pez
post Feb 10 2011, 04:20 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(heartbreaked @ Feb 9 2011, 05:19 PM)
Well, it sounds like my current situation, during the interview they promised to let me do the job related to networking. They also promised me that I will have the chance to handle company server. But since I started joining the company I've been doing alot of programming work, not even touching a single networking stuff. I thought that I will have the opportunity after being confirmed, but the sad is until now I'm still doing programming work  mad.gif I'm fine with the work as I minored in programming too, so why not treat this as a learning opportunity. I know I have make a mistake, I should say 'NO' at first but I'm too afraid to reject. But after being confirmed, my increment only RM100 as a programmer with basic RM2k only blink.gif . Deduct the EPF and SOCSO my salary only RM1.8k, how am I going to survive as I need to support my family. Recently my company has upgraded the network as the new building has accomplished. The sad part is I was not invited to work with the senior to configure the network, vmad.gif if they don't allow me to join in, when will I have the opportunity to learn networking. I wonder do they treat me as a part of the team? I feel like being transparent all the time. They don't even bother to know what am I doing recently. Somehow these senior are so 'kiasu' people, whenever I ask them questions, they will answer in a short, "I know you can do it, that's the purpose company hire you". I've been applying for new job but till now don't have any feedback. FYI, this company is the listed company which dominance 80% of recycle business in Malaysia, situated in Penang. So people, if you are in my shoes, what will you do? Quit or stay on? Hoping a feedback from you all. Thanks for reading anyway.
Ohhh this kind of issue actually not suitable to be posted here... but anyway just my 2 cents since you brought it up:

This is a common situation. What you might want to do is bring this matter up to your direct superior. Tell him/ her that you are very interested in networking and you really wish to have an opportunity to participate in projects related to networking.

Secondly, some seniors are actually kinda 'ngiau' towards newbies/ juniors. IMO you should try to get closer to these seniors and talk to them more often (out for tea, dinner, yumcha, whatever works). If you think by buying them lunch once or twice might bridge the gap, why not do it? Once you're more acquainted with them, they treat you like an actual junior and would help you in various aspects. The thing with seniors is that, you must not show them an 'attitude'. Sometimes you can't expect them to come to you and ask you out for lunch. You need to take the initiative.

If you think they are kiasu, then act dumb. Let them think you're clueless and agree verbally to what they say (though you may not think so in reality). You need to be more observant around them and try to be friendly with them, including your boss. If these seniors are close to your boss and you don't deal much with your direct superior, you'll find that these guys play a role in many things related to you.

End of the day it's up to you to stay or leave. If you have tried everything and things still remain the same then perhaps you wanna pursue other opportunities.

This post has been edited by sweet_pez: Feb 11 2011, 04:00 PM
Amanda85
post Feb 10 2011, 05:01 PM

Scuderia Ferrari
2,232 posts

QUOTE(slowpoker @ Feb 10 2011, 10:01 AM)
i also will graduate next month..late march probably..  smile.gif

thanks to ts for giving nice and simple guide..  rclxms.gif

i hv start searching for a job but i'm so worried bcoz my pointer is not so good (below 3.00)  cry.gif
if they call u up for interview means u meet their basic requirement. your pointer then is no longer relevant. so don't get nervous during interview k.
slowpoker
post Feb 10 2011, 06:24 PM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(Amanda85 @ Feb 10 2011, 05:01 PM)
if they call u up for interview means u meet their basic requirement. your pointer then is no longer relevant. so don't get nervous during interview k.
thanks for the advice.. laugh.gif

will try my best for the coming interview..
heartbreaked
post Feb 13 2011, 12:10 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Feb 10 2011, 04:20 PM)
Ohhh this kind of issue actually not suitable to be posted here... but anyway just my 2 cents since you brought it up:
Sorry for posting it here, but I'm a fresh graduate and need some advise regarding my first job, since this section is for freshy, so I brought it up here blush.gif

This is a common situation. What you might want to do is bring this matter up to your direct superior. Tell him/ her that you are very interested in networking and you really wish to have an opportunity to participate in projects related to networking.
I have told my direct superior before, he told me that right now I should focused on programming jobs first before proceed to networking. But I do not have the guts to tell what I really expect from the job. My fundamental of programming is very strong, within 1 month I have learned all the programming language used by the company. I've been doing the same tasks everyday and wanted to learn new things such as networking which I majored in university.

Secondly, some seniors are actually kinda 'ngiau' towards newbies/ juniors. IMO you should try to get closer to these seniors and talk to them more often (out for tea, dinner, yumcha, whatever works). If you think by buying them lunch once or twice might bridge the gap, why not do it? Once you're more acquainted with them, they treat you like an actual junior and would help you in various aspects. The thing with seniors is that, you must not show them an 'attitude'. Sometimes you can't expect them to come to you and ask you out for lunch. You need to take the initiative.
Well, not all the seniors are like that, just one or two are so 'ngiau' and I don't feel comfortable with them. Another mistake is I was placed at downstairs while all the seniors are at upstairs, therefore we seldom communicate and the gap getting broader. I try to talk with them but always I get a cold response from them. I sometimes drive them to lunch, but when we sit together, we all remain silence doh.gif

If you think they are kiasu, then act dumb. Let them think you're clueless and agree verbally to what they say (though you may not think so in reality). You need to be more observant around them and try to be friendly with them, including your boss. If these seniors are close to your boss and you don't deal much with your direct superior, you'll find that these guys play a role in many things related to you.
I never argue with them if I have a disagreement. I only deal with my direct superior if the project is new, but sometimes I need to do the task which handled by the senior before regarding enhancement and support. My dissatisfaction is I was not invited into networking project and upset of what my superior promised me before.

sweet_pez
post Feb 13 2011, 08:06 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(heartbreaked @ Feb 13 2011, 12:10 PM)
1. I have told my direct superior before, he told me that right now I should focused on programming jobs first before proceed to networking. But I do not have the guts to tell what I really expect from the job. My fundamental of programming is very strong, within 1 month I have learned all the programming language used by the company. I've been doing the same tasks everyday and wanted to learn new things such as networking which I majored in university.

2. Well, not all the seniors are like that, just one or two are so 'ngiau' and I don't feel comfortable with them. Another mistake is I was placed at downstairs while all the seniors are at upstairs, therefore we seldom communicate and the gap getting broader. I try to talk with them but always I get a cold response from them. I sometimes drive them to lunch, but when we sit together, we all remain silence doh.gif

3. I never argue with them if I have a disagreement. I only deal with my direct superior if the project is new, but sometimes I need to do the task which handled by the senior before regarding enhancement and support. My dissatisfaction is I was not invited into networking project and upset of what my superior promised me before.
I see... then,

1. If it's me, I might take it for another few months then bring the conversation up again casually someday. You don't have to be so formal and knock on your boss's room and talk about it. Ask your superior out for lunch (if there's an opportunity) and tell him that you're performing well in programming area. Then casually ask, "Is there any upcoming networking project?" and try talking about it. I understand it requires practice and experience to make the topic sound natural but you've got nothing to lose by asking, right?

2. You can't help where you'll be stationed in the office. Try initiating the talk. You can take a short 5-10min break for tea and casually walk downstairs to talk to the seniors. Or, if you brought something perfect for tea time - why not share it with them?

Why the awkward silence? Try talking and laugh more. Act more natural. Sometimes your body language tells more than what your lips say. With them being called your "senior" perhaps they sense that you're not comfortable around them.

3. You might want to check "why" you're not invited or asked to be part of the team. There could be some reasons behind it and perhaps some of the okay seniors might know. Ask them. As a last resort, ask your direct superior why you're not included. Don't be offensive or defensive. Just try asking in a nice manner over a cup of coffee - if you wish to continue working there.
heartbreaked
post Feb 13 2011, 09:22 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Feb 13 2011, 08:06 PM)
1. If it's me, I might take it for another few months then bring the conversation up again casually someday. You don't have to be so formal and knock on your boss's room and talk about it. Ask your superior out for lunch (if there's an opportunity) and tell him that you're performing well in programming area. Then casually ask, "Is there any upcoming networking project?" and try talking about it. I understand it requires practice and experience to make the topic sound natural but you've got nothing to lose by asking, right?

2. You can't help where you'll be stationed in the office. Try initiating the talk. You can take a short 5-10min break for tea and casually walk downstairs to talk to the seniors. Or, if you brought something perfect for tea time - why not share it with them?

Why the awkward silence? Try talking and laugh more. Act more natural. Sometimes your body language tells more than what your lips say. With them being called your "senior" perhaps they sense that you're not comfortable around them.

3. You might want to check "why" you're not invited or asked to be part of the team. There could be some reasons behind it and perhaps some of the okay seniors might know. Ask them. As a last resort, ask your direct superior why you're not included. Don't be offensive or defensive. Just try asking in a nice manner over a cup of coffee - if you wish to continue working there.
Thanks for your advise notworthy.gif , really appreciate it, now I have a clear mind on what should I do, I guess you are indeed a senior in you organization right, that is why you can give the point of view as a senior.

pseudo117
post Feb 21 2011, 08:04 PM

19 posts

Good guide biggrin.gif great jobs thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by pseudo117: Feb 21 2011, 08:04 PM
Eat rice
post Mar 6 2011, 07:34 PM

14 posts

Thanks for the tips. smile.gif
Desmocha
post Mar 10 2011, 03:47 PM

36 posts

Easy and simple Guides thanks. smile.gif
Alexis~
post Mar 12 2011, 10:29 PM

24 posts

glad i found this post.
=)
i'm now working part time in a company that is interested to take me in but claims that they couldn't afford to pay my expected salary.
after reading this post, i'm confused whether i actually did more than i should.

i was told to work half day on the weekdays and a few hours on weekend as they will "train" me. But basically i was assigned work the first day i went. from drafting letters to planning, customer service, conducting programs. Are these considered part of training? cos i think the work load i was given was a job-like amount d. and i was never told clearly how much i was going to get paid.

to be honest i think i did learn a few things from my work. At least an insight of what is really going on in this industry and all. i do like the place i work, my colleagues are fine too. it's just that i observed those colleague who work in this company for quite some time often complain their job is hectic. (and IMO i'm actually assigned to do more than what they did.)

since you guys mention that it's best take a job that can provide one with more experience for 1st job, now it make me think whether i should really lower my initial expected salary to work there.

This post has been edited by Alexis~: Mar 12 2011, 10:31 PM
slowpoker
post Mar 13 2011, 09:04 AM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(Alexis~ @ Mar 12 2011, 10:29 PM)
glad i found this post.
=)
i'm now working part time in a company that is interested to take me in but claims that they couldn't afford to pay my expected salary.
after reading this post, i'm confused whether i actually did more than i should.

i was told to work half day on the weekdays and a few hours on weekend as they will "train" me. But basically i was assigned work the first day i went. from drafting letters to planning,  customer service, conducting programs. Are these considered part of training? cos i think the work load i was given was a job-like amount d. and i was never told clearly how much i was going to get paid.

to be honest i think i did learn a few things from my work. At least an insight of what is really going on in this industry and all. i do like the place i work, my colleagues are fine too. it's just that i observed those colleague who work in this company for quite some time often complain their job is hectic. (and IMO i'm actually assigned to do more than what they did.)

since you guys mention that it's best take a job that can provide one with more experience for 1st job, now it make me think whether i should really lower my initial expected salary to work there.
just curious, which company you working with?
Alexis~
post Mar 13 2011, 06:56 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(slowpoker @ Mar 13 2011, 09:04 AM)
just curious, which company you working with?
wink.gif would prefer to keep it a secret. lol.
I still need to work there for quite a while.
don't want them to find out and got me kick out. i'm almost done with them. rclxms.gif
most important is my salary. been spending a lot in the transport fees to go back and forth.

besides all the stuff i mentioned,
i'm even the tech-person in this company.
any electronic device got problem,
i gotta "try" and fix it. lol
popadelic
post Mar 14 2011, 03:42 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

hello everyone, any advise on what professional certificate out there for fresh graduate like me can join ?
wanakev2
post Mar 26 2011, 12:39 PM

Getting Started
142 posts

thanks for the guide.really helpful..

thumbs up = )
remonx
post Mar 26 2011, 01:47 PM

On my way
583 posts

its rallt helpful for the guides. GJ ts!
jounin
post Mar 26 2011, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

i need help here...currently i am in a final year and waiting for my internship this May but my university do allow me to chose either want to do intern or work ( means i can work as a full time employee during my intern period and i just need to submit report for my intern to my university )...so i found a company which allow me to work for them as part of my intern, meaning that i work and get full salary....

now the problem is, how am i to explain in the resume that i am currently not graduate yet ( as mention above im in final year and will start intern period in may ) and in which section should i stated it?

hope someone with more experience will help me, thank you
alanxander
post Apr 2 2011, 02:23 PM

Getting Started
106 posts

QUOTE(jounin @ Mar 26 2011, 11:43 PM)
i need help here...currently i am in a final year and waiting for my internship this May but my university do allow me to chose either want to do intern or work ( means i can work as a full time employee during my intern period and i just need to submit report for my intern to my university )...so i found a company which allow me to work for them as part of my intern, meaning that i work and get full salary....

now the problem is, how am i to explain in the resume that i am currently not graduate yet ( as mention above im in final year and will start intern period in may ) and in which section should i stated it?

hope someone with more experience will help me, thank you
at ur educational background just write :-

University Level :

2005-2008 : Diploma In ..................... , UKM

2009-Now : Bachelor (Hons) Of .......................... , UKM
Status : Final Semester With Current CGPA 3.25 (Internship/Industrial Training)
slowpoker
post Apr 13 2011, 06:20 PM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(alanxander @ Apr 2 2011, 02:23 PM)
at ur educational background just write :-

University Level :

2005-2008 : Diploma In ..................... , UKM

2009-Now  : Bachelor (Hons) Of .......................... , UKM
      Status : Final Semester With Current CGPA 3.25 (Internship/Industrial Training)
nice arrangement.. thumbup.gif

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0279sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:01 AM