How was the foundation in utmspace?
TheInvincible84 P
post Mar 22 2020, 01:52 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(zoolf @ Feb 17 2015, 10:18 AM)
Hi guys, I just finish my master rclxm9.gif

zoolf
Master in Business Adminstration, Strategic Management.
UTM Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra, Kuala Lumpur tongue.gif

Nice to meet you all  icon_rolleyes.gif
Hey Zoolf,

I got offer of admission at UTM KL for MBA programme. Would like to know about your experience there? Which campus is better UTM KL or UTM JB?

tweakity
post Sep 20 2020, 08:13 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

I had the weirdest conversation with a friend. He says that UTM accepts applications from Form 5 directly. Around year 1998-2000. And the rest of us is sure that UTM only accepts Form6/matrics/diploma applications (like all Local Unis)
Anyone knows the details?
Yveatel
post Sep 20 2020, 08:20 PM

Enthusiast
879 posts

QUOTE(tweakity @ Sep 20 2020, 08:13 PM)
I had the weirdest conversation with a friend. He says that UTM accepts applications from Form 5 directly. Around year 1998-2000. And the rest of us is sure that UTM only accepts Form6/matrics/diploma applications (like all Local Unis)
I thought this is the way back in old days where good SPM results will direct intake into university. I am not aware when it change though.
tweakity
post Sep 20 2020, 08:36 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

We tried to tally a few years
1996-1997 - YES (changed to yes)
1997-1998 - YES
1998-1999 - YES (changed to yes)
2000-2001 - NO
2001-2002 - YES ( doubting this yes)
I know 2020 now is NO though
How weird is that.....

This post has been edited by tweakity: Sep 21 2020, 12:36 AM
Human Nature
post Sep 20 2020, 11:25 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,132 posts

I can confirm that my cousin entered UTM directly after Form 5 in 1997.
tweakity
post Sep 20 2020, 11:30 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 20 2020, 11:25 PM)
I can confirm that my cousin entered UTM directly after Form 5 in 1997.
Good info lol
The odd part is the 2001 intake. Not direct friend so not very sure. Feels like cut off at 1999/2000 there
Human Nature
post Sep 20 2020, 11:34 PM

All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(tweakity @ Sep 20 2020, 11:30 PM)
Good info lol
The odd part is the 2001 intake. Not direct friend so not very sure. Feels like cut off at 1999/2000 there
I am pretty sure 1999 still take SPM too.. and I found this:
I was one of the students who took degree after SPM in 1999. It was UTM Skudai..it was called direct "entry programme" 4 years engineering course.. it was too crammed that I need to extend 1 semester to finish the course.
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=68009440
tweakity
post Sep 21 2020, 12:35 AM

Getting Started
88 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 20 2020, 11:34 PM)
later in the thread someone says "UTM stopped the odd degree intakes shortly after 2000. the entire degree programme was reformed to ensure compliance to the bologna accord, and also to standardize the degree programmes in malaysia. back then, UTM's degree was 4-5 years, whereas degrees in other universities were only 3-4 years. the 1st year is always considered as a foundation programme, as the intake is all from SPM."

I think that is the accreditation by government body.. two of them forgot the name. After that Engineering course have to be 4 years excluding Foundation year.
I remember seeing my seniors courses' have people come and sit in and audit the FYP also
Starting to make more sense now

And also from UTM website:http://space.utm.my/foundation/
seems like they still have it? but the fees... wow wee not cheap
Human Nature
post Sep 21 2020, 12:55 AM

All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(tweakity @ Sep 21 2020, 12:35 AM)
later in the thread someone says "UTM stopped the odd degree intakes shortly after 2000. the entire degree programme was reformed to ensure compliance to the bologna accord, and also to standardize the degree programmes in malaysia. back then, UTM's degree was 4-5 years, whereas degrees in other universities were only 3-4 years. the 1st year is always considered as a foundation programme, as the intake is all from SPM."

I think that is the accreditation by government body.. two of them forgot the name. After that Engineering course have to be 4 years excluding Foundation year.
I remember seeing my seniors courses' have people come and sit in and audit the FYP also

Hmm, this is something new to me too. Perhaps others may chip in.
MGM
post Sep 24 2020, 05:09 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,386 posts

QUOTE(tweakity @ Sep 20 2020, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE(tweakity @ Sep 21 2020, 12:35 AM)

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Sep 21 2020, 12:55 AM)
Hmm, this is something new to me too. Perhaps others may chip in.
Yes UTM accepts SPM students of all races(I think the only IPTA) to do foundation and if their cgpa qualify can apply directly to degree course without going thru UPU. And the foundation lecturers are really good (mostly) and some are authors of academic books. 95% taught in English.
For <rm10k I would say the fee is reasonable or cheap compare with many IPTS and for the full 4-year Engineering tuition fees only rm11k+. Total ~rm20k+. Nowadays where to get a degree at this cost in IPTS?

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-...ical-electronic

user posted image

This post has been edited by MGM: Sep 24 2020, 05:21 AM
Human Nature
post Sep 24 2020, 09:07 AM

All Stars
25,132 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ Sep 24 2020, 05:09 AM)
Yes UTM accepts SPM students of all races(I think the only IPTA) to do foundation and if their cgpa qualify can apply directly to degree course without going thru UPU. And the foundation lecturers are really good (mostly) and some are authors of academic books. 95% taught in English.
For <rm10k I would say the fee is reasonable or cheap compare with many IPTS and for the full 4-year Engineering tuition fees only rm11k+. Total ~rm20k+. Nowadays where to get a degree at this cost in IPTS?

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-...ical-electronic

user posted image
Definitely cannot compare the fees between ipta and ipta. The fees in ipta are subsidised.
tweakity
post Oct 3 2020, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
88 posts

Guys I realized what is the problem. When I say Local Uni, in my mind i'm thinking about Public Uni. Which makes it confusing. Hence it's just normal UTM accepts students out of Form 5 like any other 'private uni'.
I kept thinking UTM is subsidized Public Uni. I just realized it's not exactly that after I check the Tuition Fees
But ya, your explanations are on point
azarimy
post Oct 4 2020, 10:06 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(tweakity @ Oct 3 2020, 03:21 PM)
Guys I realized what is the problem. When I say Local Uni, in my mind i'm thinking about Public Uni. Which makes it confusing. Hence it's just normal UTM accepts students out of Form 5 like any other 'private uni'.
I kept thinking UTM is subsidized Public Uni. I just realized it's not exactly that after I check the Tuition Fees
But ya, your explanations are on point
Although a UA (public university), UTM also has a private wing that handles diploma or other non-research courses.

If you're an SPM leaver and you're applying for UTM diploma, chances are you're going to our private wing. The fees are considerably higher.
MaGNiFiCo
post Oct 4 2020, 10:51 PM

weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,602 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ Oct 4 2020, 10:06 PM)
Although a UA (public university), UTM also has a private wing that handles diploma or other non-research courses.

If you're an SPM leaver and you're applying for UTM diploma, chances are you're going to our private wing. The fees are considerably higher.
UTM Space right?

I'm of the last batch of UTM diploma in UTMKL. Grad in 2010. There is another 2 or 3 batch after me. Then that's it. All shift to UTM Space.

This post has been edited by MaGNiFiCo: Oct 5 2020, 08:46 AM
azarimy
post Oct 5 2020, 12:00 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

Yup. UTM SPACE.

School of Professional And Continuing Education.
nampaknyahebat
post Sep 26 2022, 04:13 PM

41 posts

Hi, I just wonder is there any chance to enrol into UTM if I failed to get UTM as first my choice in UPU? I got another offer which I’m not keen to enter. I was a diploma student I have sent them an email with all my details, hoping to get a reply from them. I wonder did anyone get into UTM without UPU?
MGM
post Oct 2 2022, 10:11 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,386 posts

QUOTE(nampaknyahebat @ Sep 26 2022, 04:13 PM)
Hi, I just wonder is there any chance to enrol into UTM if I failed to get UTM as first my choice in UPU? I got another offer which I’m not keen to enter. I was a diploma student I have sent them an email with all my details, hoping to get a reply from them. I wonder did anyone get into UTM without UPU?
AFAIK u can enter UTM degree courses after 1year of UTM foundation without UPU if your results qualify. Dont know about others.
In fact u can use the UTM foundation's result to apply for other IPTA via UPU.
MaGNiFiCo
post Oct 5 2022, 11:10 AM

weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,602 posts

QUOTE(nampaknyahebat @ Sep 26 2022, 04:13 PM)
UPU is the only way to enter public uni that I'm aware of. Only UM has its own intake program if I'm not mistaken.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:13 PM