Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Gu Zheng & Erhu Thread, Chinese traditional instrument

views

subangman
post Jan 12 2010, 07:34 PM

On my way
562 posts

hyumi:

ok.... looks like u r on a prvt course... i dun need her contact.. thx anyway as the gals sifu is fine..and i like him.. rclxms.gif .he used to come to my house giving clasese until his timetable is packed then he requested to b at music center in Taipan....... u can see him everynow and then in major concerts/competitions/functions ....and more over i hate LDP... always jam like hell...

Dong Huang center is on top of Pangkor (or some sort) fish head curry ... same row with McD opp. the SS2 food court... 1st floor.

KeeJan is correct..... Alan is the boss......... btw Alan and his wife also very 'geng' in guzheng... but unfortunately they only teach G6 above students and their fees not cheap...... 'pro teacher' meh... he also got std teachers there & with std fees ....just like u ask a MPO fella to teach, fees will b different compare from my gal.... lol (she also can teach... G7 ... and she is just 15yrs old ...lol)...
"I AM NOT a sales/promoter for ALAN" ...

Wat ur teacher said is correct... and so as i said too.... dun make hasty decisions.... wait,shop, compare then buy unless SANTA is paying laugh.gif

Guzheng comes with stand and BOx.... yeah... u will b veri lucky then..... a pair of so call standard stand cost u near to RM100....and a nice stand can cost u few hundreds.... stool is about say RM150....AND tat BIG black 'coffin' NOT cheap lar.... if they throw it in .. keep it for ur future guzheng shipment back from china..... normally they will give u a nylon bag only.....as the guzheng shipment often in container....bulk shipment mah... boxes take alot of space. and its so big that i can even fit in tat BOX.... !!!!tats why my HM calls it a 'coffin'.....

i dun do shows... my daughter does for competitons or shows just for fun and extra pocket money if there is a chance.... as i said i am a SAX =>Saxaphone player... all of us (my famili & i) take music as past time... not to cali makan.... i am 100% certain i can't feed my famili if i am a musician even i reach to a level as good as Dato Ahmad Nawab.....(no offence to any pro musician here) .... mayb next time when i am semi retire doing it for charity during gala nites... lol

PM me if u like to watch some guzheng clips.... btw u need fbook to watch.....
oh ya ...there is a group in fbook for guzheng..... and u join in..opens for public....starter is from penang ... i am in tat group too..... watch out for hell rider. brows.gif brows.gif

http://www.facebook.com//photo.php?pid=294...gid=34368005257

Added on January 12, 2010, 7:47 pm
QUOTE(empire @ Jan 12 2010, 10:52 AM)
hi folks. You can see my Shanghai Angels Band here:

www.empireshowbiz.com.my

You can see my cute small GuZeng there.

Added on January 12, 2010, 10:53 amhyumi...yes...can you pm me your guzeng teacher's no and name?
seen ur guzheng.... F scale type...right? why dun u get a std scale guzheng since u r a Pro ?

waahhh... looks like recruitment time .......

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 12 2010, 08:02 PM
empire
post Jan 13 2010, 01:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

subangman...no. I tuned mine to 'D'. Actually you can tune it in any key you want as long as the strings still ring nicely.
TShyumi
post Jan 13 2010, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

hey empire and serene,
I've already pm-ed you my teacher's contact =)
hmm.. empire, why do want my teacher's contact, you already going roadshows!

QUOTE(subangman @ Jan 12 2010, 07:34 PM)
hyumi:

ok.... looks like u r on a prvt course... i dun need her contact.. thx anyway as the gals sifu is fine..and i like him.. rclxms.gif .he used to come to my house giving clasese until his timetable is packed then he requested to b at music center in Taipan....... u can see him everynow and then in major concerts/competitions/functions ....and more over i hate LDP... always jam like hell...

Dong Huang center is on top of Pangkor (or some  sort) fish head curry ... same row with McD opp. the SS2 food court... 1st floor.

KeeJan is correct..... Alan is the boss......... btw Alan and his wife also very 'geng' in guzheng... but unfortunately they only teach G6 above students and their fees not cheap...... 'pro teacher' meh... he also got std teachers there & with std fees ....just like u ask a MPO fella to teach, fees will b different compare from my gal.... lol (she also can teach... G7 ... and she is just 15yrs old ...lol)...
"I AM NOT a sales/promoter for ALAN" ...

Wat ur teacher said is correct... and so as i said too.... dun make hasty decisions.... wait,shop, compare then buy unless SANTA is paying laugh.gif

Guzheng comes with stand and BOx.... yeah... u will b veri lucky then..... a pair of so call standard stand cost u near to RM100....and a nice stand can cost u few hundreds.... stool is about say RM150....AND tat BIG black 'coffin' NOT cheap lar.... if they throw it in .. keep it for ur future guzheng shipment back from china..... normally they will give u a nylon bag only.....as the guzheng shipment often in container....bulk shipment mah... boxes take alot of space. and its so big that i can even fit in tat BOX.... !!!!tats why my HM calls it a 'coffin'.....

i dun do shows... my daughter does for competitons or shows just for fun and extra pocket money if there is a chance.... as i said i am a SAX =>Saxaphone player... all of us (my famili & i) take music as past time... not to cali makan.... i am 100% certain i can't feed my famili if i am a musician even i reach to a level as good as Dato Ahmad Nawab.....(no offence to any pro musician here) .... mayb next time when i am semi retire doing it for charity during gala nites... lol

PM me if u like to watch some guzheng clips.... btw u need fbook to watch.....
oh ya ...there  is a group in fbook for guzheng..... and u join in..opens for public....starter is from penang ... i am in tat group too..... watch out for hell rider.  brows.gif  brows.gif

http://www.facebook.com//photo.php?pid=294...gid=34368005257

haha yes indeed! LDP always jam! I'm a student, so i get to choose off-peak hours for classes =D
i'd probably learn all I can first then only consider about upgrading to the higher standard of learning (if i ever reach there that is ><)
yeah, i checked out the website and they did mentioned Alan is a pro.. I've seen many big advertisements on Regal Orchestra too!
With such big advertisements, their fees must really be expensive ><

hahaa, do tell us when you or daughter is performing, then we can go support support =D
earlier you mentioned they are going to perform during cny or something??
really envy your daughter! she has a talent at such a young age >< she can go join the '1 minute fame' competition on TV dy! lol..

i did joined a Gu Zheng group on FB too.. but a different one..
here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6030744423&ref=ts
i left a message there not too long, i guess it's easy to identify who is it hehe..

subangman
post Jan 17 2010, 04:50 PM

On my way
562 posts

rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 17 2010, 04:53 PM
pinksapphire
post Jan 17 2010, 08:35 PM

Regular
1,264 posts

Seems quite coincident that this thread started right when myself is starting to learn Guzheng.
I've got to my first lesson last week and I was quite nervous and stressed because I have lil' confident of myself...so was kinda not relaxed.
Looking forward for my second lesson and I hope to learn up better this time around!

As for buying Guzheng...I don't know why the ones you guys mentioned are so expensive...we could prolly get new ones at below 1K or 1.5K max for really good ones that will cater more than enough as your start-up.
I was tempted to get a fancy one for myself too (because we need Guzheng at home to practice!), but rationally, unless you love to see pretty pretty design, then go for a second hand or some less expensive new Guzheng first.

I believe if I would want to do good in this, then I will have to put my heart in it. Even if some people tells you that you should try out for a month or two before knowing you really like it (and buying the instrument), I feel you can't go far without practicing at home. And you'll tend to forget about what's taught easier since it's gonna be only once a week (30mins-an hour!).

Happy to see active discussion here and would drop by on and off smile.gif
serenayap
post Jan 17 2010, 09:24 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

subangman=do u mind if u can share with me the guzheng teacher contact number as the one hyumi gave me is in ss2,as i prefer a place nearer to my place???
thanks alot

subangman
post Jan 18 2010, 07:12 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(serenayap @ Jan 17 2010, 09:24 PM)
subangman=do u mind if u can share with me the guzheng teacher contact number as the one hyumi gave me is in ss2,as i prefer a place nearer to my place???
thanks alot
sori for the late respond... busy yst and today...... check ur PM box....

TShyumi
post Jan 21 2010, 07:51 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

helloooo!! =)

My Gu Zheng teacher just got some stocks from China!
there is one that cost about RM2300 and it's brand new!
it's tempting ahaha, and according to her, the sound is nice and could last me a lifetime.
sounds like it's worth it right?
I think I am going for that =D

Will post the picture here if I can ^^
subangman
post Jan 22 2010, 02:35 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(hyumi @ Jan 21 2010, 07:51 PM)
helloooo!! =)

it's tempting ahaha, and according to her, the sound is nice and could last me a lifetime.

lil' hyumi.............. go with ur heart .... wat wood ?
123chy
post Jan 22 2010, 03:30 PM

15 posts

GU Zheng is an traditional instrument from Chian, right? The string is a little seem like Guitar~~~ But, it is totally different with Guitar~~~

Is your teacher a chinese?
empire
post Jan 22 2010, 04:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

hyumi...no need spend so much la. Gte a mini- gu zeng like mine good enough d. i use even for professional shows. the sound's wonderful.
subangman
post Jan 23 2010, 01:31 AM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(hyumi @ Jan 21 2010, 07:51 PM)
helloooo!! =)

ok.... this is an additional advice.

do get a better / decent one if you intend to sit for your grading test. Check with her if u will be with CCOM; (Central Conservatory of Music).
if yes... then go for a decent one. ( i suspect u will b as u mentioned 21 nylon strings)

one cannot learn piano by using a keyboard and sit for ABRSM/Trinity/Yamaha grading ... doh.gif

i've seen maddie's course mate struggling to tune that piece of JUNK provided for exam... finally i offered her maddie's guzheng
as i couldn't bear to see her going thru the hardship b4 exam.

but if u intend to bring the guzheng with you along the road.... go wit ur heart ... accompany luggage veri $$$$ and you might not b sitting for
your grading there..... (course work is PRIORITY).

here is a helpful link :- http://www.uscycs.org/assets/docs/Exam-English.pdf
(exam center is near our place; Sunway mentari)

This not only for guzheng .... all chinese instrument in fact.

I met a Malaysian Indian budder there sitting for his G4 ERHU ... rclxms.gif

so as one said :- Music breaks the language barriers and enthusiasts their soul. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Added on January 23, 2010, 1:42 am
QUOTE(123chy @ Jan 22 2010, 03:30 PM)
GU Zheng is an traditional instrument from Chian, right? The string is a little seem like Guitar~~~ But, it is totally different with Guitar~~~

........................ not really...recently i've seen a very experience guitar player tat played his guitar like a guzheng... rclxms.gif

so far i have only seen chinese teacher only either Malaysian Chinese or PRC ... not yet Mat salleh.. mayb in other countries;...i dun know.

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 23 2010, 02:23 AM
TShyumi
post Jan 23 2010, 02:31 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(subangman @ Jan 23 2010, 01:31 AM)
ok.... this is an additional advice.

do get a better / decent one if you intend to sit for your grading test. Check with her if u will be with CCOM; (Central Conservatory of Music).
if yes... then go for a decent one. ( i suspect u will b as u mentioned 21 nylon strings)

one cannot learn piano by using a keyboard and sit for ABRSM/Trinity/Yamaha grading ...  doh.gif

i've seen maddie's course mate struggling to tune that piece of JUNK provided for exam... finally i offered her maddie's guzheng
as i couldn't bear to see her going thru the hardship b4 exam.

but if u intend to bring the guzheng with you along the road.... go wit ur heart ... accompany luggage veri $$$$ and you might not b sitting for
your grading there..... (course work is PRIORITY).

here is a helpful link :-       http://www.uscycs.org/assets/docs/Exam-English.pdf   
(exam center is near our place; Sunway mentari)

This not only for guzheng .... all chinese instrument in fact.

I met a Malaysian Indian budder there sitting for his G4 ERHU ...  rclxms.gif

so as one said :- Music breaks the language barriers and enthusiasts their soul.    thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif
I asked my teacher about grading exams before, she said mine is neither dong huang or beijing.. it's Malaysia -.-
lol.. and she says the exams will be taken place in the centre that i am learning where the examiners will be invited to the centre and grade us..

and empire, i agree with subangman that i should get a decent one..
coz, i think it's better to get the same as the one that I am learning, it should be a good investment that can last me quite long..
i won't get confused too when I am learning haha.. (i am a slow learner!)
even if one day i were to get bored of it or needed cash, I can sell it as second hand... right? haha..

i haven;t check out other places that subangman mentioned tou,
but i think Rm2300 for a new one should be a catch, isn't it?
I am not sure what wood issit, i forgot to ask.. i'll ask my teacher more on Tuesday and get back to you =D

This post has been edited by hyumi: Jan 23 2010, 02:33 AM
subangman
post Jan 23 2010, 11:39 AM

On my way
562 posts

Hyumi :-

Here is some clips for encouragement and draw interest .. all these are exam pieces for CCOM............ solo

G3 :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuj7kY4QCr8&NR=1 {still one hand playin} 渔舟唱晚

G5 :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKLu36ivLyM&NR=1 (same as the one played in Klang Parade u seen) (2hands alridi) 浏阳河

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHDgTRTi-bQ&feature=related 浏阳河

G8/G9 :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORH7wi1tAbY&feature=related (tis one is compulsory piece) 戰颱風 (very powerful song)

Hahaha ... learning guzheng is not just plucking few strings to produce sound.

i will try to send u my fav. guzheng performance.... very entertaining.

user posted image 23 steel strings (D scale)

user posted image 21 nylon strings (D scale)

user posted image 21 nylon strings (F scale)

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 23 2010, 03:02 PM
Jaemmae
post Jan 24 2010, 01:20 PM

31 posts

Seems really interesting but to buy one seems pricey!
Wonder where to get in Penang

Does the string hurt your fingers?
Like guitar...painful!
Or do you have some sort of protective fingertips glove lol
subangman
post Jan 24 2010, 04:32 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(Jaemmae @ Jan 24 2010, 01:20 PM)
Seems really interesting but to buy one seems pricey!
Wonder where to get in Penang

Does the string hurt your fingers?
Like guitar...painful!
Or do you have some sort of protective fingertips glove lol
quzheng not expensive lar....starting from few hundreds to thousands only; depends ur taste.
comparing to piano, brass/woodwind,etc..$$$

fingers hurt.. dun think so.... u wear turtle shell as spectrum... blush.gif

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 24 2010, 04:34 PM
pinksapphire
post Jan 24 2010, 10:44 PM

Regular
1,264 posts

QUOTE(hyumi @ Jan 23 2010, 02:31 AM)
i haven;t check out other places that subangman mentioned tou,
but i think Rm2300 for a new one should be a catch, isn't it?
I am not sure what wood issit, i forgot to ask.. i'll ask my teacher more on Tuesday and get back to you =D
My teacher told me that it's best to get something not expensive first and if you really love it and if you progress to somewhat Grade 5 or above, then treat yourself a better one that would match your skills.
What's the use in getting something more than 2k now...

I'm gonna buy my first Guzheng and it's RM1.5K. More than enough for its quality and everything else smile.gif

By the way, I kept reading how you guys are thinking about sitting for exams, the grading, etc.
You know, it's nothing really like piano where you have to follow such rigid rules of sitting for every single grade and be bounded by it. This Guzheng, you can just learn and learn and who cares about the certification unless you want something to prove that you're good at it at certain level. I'll be sitting for the exam only I'm few levels up. Saves money without having to take at every level.

But then again, perhaps I'm more into the satisfaction of learning how to play it rather than see it as a qualification of some sort.
subangman
post Jan 24 2010, 11:57 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(pinksapphire @ Jan 24 2010, 10:44 PM)
My teacher told me that it's best to get something not expensive first and if you really love it and if you progress to somewhat Grade 5 or above, then treat yourself a better one that would match your skills.
What's the use in getting something more than 2k now...

I'm gonna buy my first Guzheng and it's RM1.5K. More than enough for its quality and everything else smile.gif

By the way, I kept reading how you guys are thinking about sitting for exams, the grading, etc.
You know, it's nothing really like piano where you have to follow such rigid rules of sitting for every single grade and be bounded by it. This Guzheng, you can just learn and learn and who cares about the certification unless you want something to prove that you're good at it at certain level. I'll be sitting for the exam only I'm few levels up. Saves money without having to take at every level.

But then again, perhaps I'm more into the satisfaction of learning how to play it rather than see it as a qualification of some sort.
wat she told u is 100% correct... u never know how long ur passion will last.... unless SANTA thumbup.gif is paying for it.

u r right ... no specific rules but ur teacher can tell u his/her ratings on u whether u r ready to sit for it or otherwise.

my gal re-start with CCOM G1-G5 in less than 3yrs.(onlt take the test in G5).... she got a Distinction and now she is in middle preparing for her G7 test in August.
U r right... who really cares about grade one completed..unless he/she wants to be a music teacher..... to me gradings just self satisfaction and assesment and a way of guiding the teacher how to teach the student.

I'm learning back my woodwind now... and i told my sifu chai... no test & no class unless i call him... it shall be my rule and payment upon
class finishes.... and i shall determine the duration too @ each time.(unless he is not free).. in his studio.... my sifu chai also rclxub.gif rclxub.gif .

ur r right again ... ABRSM/Trinity/Yamaha system is very rigid... tat's why i prefer prvt. tutor... i dun need any cert to make a single meal ...

but my gals have no choice as both in ABRSM/Yamaha for their 1st instrument.... i told them it's wise to complete what have been started off
unless the passion is no longer burning.

my eldest daughter still pending to re-commence her lessons in 23 steel strings..else that piece of wood will b another furniture in my house.... doh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by subangman: Jan 24 2010, 11:59 PM
TShyumi
post Jan 25 2010, 09:42 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

yes i know for my standard now, I should get a cheap one.
But since I've already decided to continue learning (i paid for the materials up to grade 8).. I don't see the point of buying a cheaper one and then upgrading it to a better level when I am grade 5 or so.. i think it would be more expensive that way.. my as well just buy one that can last me forever.. probably the only expense would be maintaining it which I do not think it would be that expensive..
empire
post Jan 26 2010, 03:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

I'd say pls dont bother with exams. I play Gu zeng, Erhu, zhongRuan, Dizi plus many more western instruments...and I dont see any need to go for exam....yet I play all these professionally full time.

You dont need any cert. Even my Piano performance diploma was NEVER used at all even after i completed it eons ago. Not even once!

Go learn and ENJOY the instrument. Once you get into the silly exam nonsense....it will kill your enthusiasm. Hope these words will inspire you all.

84 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0284sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:27 PM