Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

57 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion & Bootcamp, Discussion MultiOS digest guide MAC Only (MacOS X)

views

TSahblu3
post Mar 28 2009, 10:50 PM, updated 10y ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Parallels Desktop 4.0
user posted image
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Intro:
The world’s No. 1 selling Mac system utility, it has more than 1.5 million users worldwide. Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac provides the complete suite of essentials to run Windows on Mac the easy, fast and powerful way.
Parallels has led the industry with ground-breaking innovation since 2005 and Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac continues leaving others behind to play catch-up.
With all sorts of industry awards, I suppose Parallels Desktop deserves it.
MacWorld claimed that Parallels Desktop is currently the best solution for running Windows, Linux, or any of many other operating systems alongside OS X.

Expect me to be more or less bias to PD, because I'm a user of it and not BC and VMw. LOL!

Features:
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/features/
PD categorizes all its features under 3 groups: Easy, Fast, and Powerful.

Easy!
• Install Windows in just 3 steps. (It really does, even a primary school kid who can read on-screen instruction properly can do it)
• Move your entire Windows system to your Mac.
• Run Windows programs right on the Mac desktop. (With the new Coherence mode)
• Open Windows files with Mac apps and Mac files with Windows apps.
• Remotely control your virtual machine with select voice commands.
• Instantly share files and folders between Windows and Mac OS X. (My Documents on Windows = User Document on Mac OS X)
• Easily access favorite USB devices in Windows and Mac OS X.

Fast!
• Maximize speed as you move between Windows and Mac OS X.
• Run 3D games and graphics apps at blazing speeds with up to 256 MB video memory.
• Drive smoother 3D and video performance with experimental DirectX 9.0, DirectX Model Shaders 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0 support.
• Handle heavy workloads smoothly with 8-way CPU support and 8 GB RAM.
• Run 32- and 64-bit guest OSs with maximum performance.
• Enhance media application performance with Intel® Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE4) support.

Powerful!
• Get longer battery life from your Mac with PowerSaver.
• Schedule automatic snapshots for no-hassle backup.
• Gracefully shut down Windows to protect files, folders and apps.
• Preview Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard as guests on your Mac.
• Secure Windows with Parallels Internet Security powered by Kaspersky.

Virtual OS Installation guide:
3-steps:
— Select which Windows operating system you want to install.
— Enter your name and Windows activation key.
— Click finish — and let the Installation Assistant do the rest!
Just follow the on screen instruction step by step and you won't mess things up.
You can choose to install your virtual OS from CD or from any disk image file located in you HDD.
I'm currently running Windows XP SP3, just for 1 purpose only: to run XunLei torrent client. I know there are a lot torrent client for Mac but I somehow still find that XunLei is the fastest.
Also tried installing Windows 7 Beta before but delete it after a few hours. Reason? Coz Windows 7 Beta consume more space and I don't see why I need it. No need to mention Vista.
You can also choose to run the Virtual OS which is installed in Bootcamp partition.

Get all detail guides here:
http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/documentation/

Personal experience:
- I like the Coherence Mode very much, this is the main feature which attracts me to use PD. LOL. With Coherence mode, you can access Start menu and windows app on the Mac Dock. The small taskbar icon of WinXP on bottom right corner (beside the clock) will be shown on top right corner of OS X (also beside the clock). You can also resize any apps windows just like OSX.
- Drag and Drop files among Mac OS X and virtual OS make life easier. (eg. I download torrent files using Safari, and then drag and drop the torrent files to XunLei in Windows XP and the download job starts immediately.)
- You can set the resource distribution for the virtual machine. I'm currently running the XP with 1 CPU core, 512MB RAM, and 128MB video memory. Everything is just more than enough as I'm not doing big business on XP. For gamers who need to run games on windows, maybe Bootcamp is more suitable.
- Transition effect for different view mode is simply graceful (like Steve Jobs's famous "Boom")
- Well the main point of using PD to run Virtual OS is to avoid rebooting and you can run more than 1 OS side-by-side.
- So I could say the only disadvantage/drawback of PD is you can't run your Windows with full native resource. Logic and make sense. As your Mac power will be shared among the OSes.

Added on March 28, 2009, 11:40 pmWMware Fusion 2.0
user posted image
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

Intro:
Ok, I suppose before PD 4.0, WMw is on the upper hand in terms of performance. But as PD improves, WMw seems to lost its stand. Both selling at a retail price of USD79.90 (but there are a lot of discount offered by various sites like amazon). WMw claims to be built from the ground up for the Mac with a Cocoa-native user interface, VMware Fusion has the Mac-native features users expect, and with an obsessive eye towards being a “good Mac citizen” VMware Fusion is the easiest, most Mac-friendly way to run Windows on the Mac. A Mac-first user interface ensures that users get the features they expect, like customizable tool bars, searchable Apple help, Boot Camp support, dock notification integration, and more. WMw also claimed that they have 4 million users worldwide.

Features:
Well I should say nearly all features of WMw 2.0 are provided by PD 4.0 too.
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

The following is a summarize list of the features:
-Unity View (like Coherence mode of PD)
-Data Sharing
-Application Sharing
-3D and High Definition Video Acceleration
-USB Device Support
-Multiple Display Support
-Seamless Keyboard Mapping
-Driverless Printing
-Multiple Snapshots
-AutoProtect Automatic Snapshots
-Embedded Antivirus and Antispyware Protection
-Completely Redone User Interface
-Mac OS X Leopard Integration
-Boot Camp Support
-Tools for Switching
-Broad Operating System Support
-Multiple CPU Virtual Machines
-VMrun
-Large RAM Support
-Virtual Appliances

Virtual OS Installation guide:
Again, it seems that setup for virtual machine is just as simple as ABC 123, like PD. Anyway, all Mac Apps are easy to use, don't they?

Get all sorts of detail guides here, with tutorials and demo videos.
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/resources/

Personal experience:
- N/A

Added on March 28, 2009, 11:42 pmHead-to-Head Comparison of PD 4.0 and WMwF 2.0

The following is a perfect article by MacTech regarding the comparison of PD and WMw.
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vo...arks/index.html
Be sure you read this interesting 5 pages report.

Digest version by AppleInsider:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03...many_tests.html

So the overall results are:

PD 4.0
14% faster running 32-bit XP and Vista on a single virtual processor
20% faster running 32-bit Vista on two virtual processors
15% faster running 64-bit Vista on two virtual processors

VMw Fusion 2.0
10% fasster running 32-bit XP on two virtual processors

user posted image

Just to note: Running 32-bit XP with single core processor is the most common Virtual Machine set up.

Check out the following link for a Features comparison made by PD, click 'Compare Features'
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/why-switch/

Added on March 28, 2009, 11:45 pmBootcamp
user posted image
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html

Intro:
I suppose the worst nightmare for Bill Gates and his Microsoft team is nothing more than Mac moving to Intel chip and the ability to run Windows on Mac, thus gaining strong momentum on market growth as Vista continue to slump. By introducing the Bootcamp beta during OS X Tiger days, I still remember my brother, who owns the 1st batch of Black intel MacBook with only Core Duo processor, is so delighted to get WinXP on his machine thru Bootcamp Beta.
So with Bootcamp bundle on every OSX Leopard, it lets you run your favorite Windows on your Mac with full native resource, and on a individual partition.
"Windows applications have full access to multiple processors and multiple cores, accelerated 3D graphics, and high-speed connections like USB, FireWire, Wi-Fi, and Gigabit Ethernet."

Features:
Am I suppose to repeat myself? LOL

-Boot Camp supports the most popular 32-bit releases of Windows XP and Windows Vista. When you use either operating system on your Mac, your Windows applications will run at native speed.

OS(Not virtual heh) installation guide:
http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Also 3 steps:

Step 1: Run Boot Camp Assistant.
Boot Camp Assistant helps you with these tasks:
-Creating a partition for Windows
Boot Camp Assistant creates a partition for Windows on your computer’s startup or other internal disk.
-Starting the Windows installation
Boot Camp Assistant gets you started with the Windows installation.
Step 2: Install Windows.
Step 3: Install the Boot Camp drivers on your Windows volume.

As for the drivers, it is included in the Leopard DVD. iSight, Apple Remote, trackpad, specific keyboard keys, keyboard backlighting, etc can be supported when you run Windows thru Bootcamp.

Hold down the Option key when you switch on your mac to choose OSX or Windows partition to run on.

Personal experience:
Ok, even though I never use Bootcamp, but do heard some comments from other users like my brother and friends.
- You can access the Windows Partition when you are running OSX but not in the other way, ie. you cannot access OSX partition when you run Windows. I suppose this is due to the different file systems.
- Running Windows on Bootcamp seems to consume more HDD space then running the same Windows as a virtual machine by PD or WMw. I think this it due to the extra partition and system files take up the extra space.
- Of course, the biggest drawback of Bootcamp is that you cannot run OSX and Windows simultaneously, no side-by-side. You need to reboot to switch to another OS.

This post has been edited by ahblu3: Mar 28 2009, 11:45 PM
cscheat
post Apr 5 2009, 12:09 AM

V.V.I.P member
Group: Senior Member

i tried Virtual PC, VMWare Workstation only !
however, now im playing around with VMWare workstation running Leopard on my Vista !

user posted image

This post has been edited by cscheat: Apr 5 2009, 12:24 AM
antho88
post Apr 5 2009, 08:02 PM

Getting Started

I'm Using VMware Fusion from the 1st time when someone (bro) installed it in my macbook.So far it run smoothly no lag but sometimes feel heat and the fan running fast.Anyway i seldom use the app,because didn't run any window software lately.But will use sometime (incase) to show some kids about Multi OS in Mac.Lol.
user posted image
deadman8836
post Apr 12 2009, 09:32 PM

Casual

bro ahblu3, i have a question to ask here regarding parallels desktop... I have just started using it a couple of days ago upon your recommendation.... The problem I have here is that lets say i created a text file on the window's desktop, it automatically appears on MAC desktop as well, which i think it is kinda messy for my MAC side...... Is there a way for me to disable it? Thanks in advance bro..... :salute:
TSahblu3
post Apr 13 2009, 12:13 AM

Getting Started

@deadman8836, ok, this is due to the 'Shared Profile' configuration of PD. If you really want to disable it (for me its an advantage), Parallels Desktop>Virtual Machine>Configure...>Features>Shared Profile> and then disable it.

Let me know if it still doesn't work, coz I never tried to disable it. Cheers.

Edit: Screenshot added
user posted image

This post has been edited by ahblu3: Apr 13 2009, 12:18 AM
deadman8836
post Apr 13 2009, 09:43 AM

Casual

hey bro... thanks for the reply first of all.... I just wanna stop those file that I put at window's desktop from appearing on Mac's side.... cos i download the torrent files onto my windows desktop, and i start task per task.... i don't go all at once.... and it annoyed me whenever i see those torrent files on my Mac's desktop.... Ok, i will try that method later tonight..... now working... nevertheless thank u bro...
DarkTenno
post Apr 13 2009, 02:35 PM

Casual

I think i like parallels more than fusion, fusion seem to giving me constant lockup on program but parallel run smooth as a silk smile.gif, never try bootcamp yet due to 120GB hdd not wasting space for window tongue.gif
TSahblu3
post Apr 13 2009, 05:19 PM

Getting Started

@deadman8836, you download torrent files thru' Windows IE? or Firefox? You can just do it thru Safari and then drag and drop it into the virtual Windows you are running, one by one just as you like it. Oh anyway, Azureus Vuze in Mac can do the rocket torrent download job as sweet as XunLei in Windows.

@DarkTenno, thanks for your info regarding Fusion.

---

As this topic is not closed up, users of Multi-OS are welcome to give comments or ask questions and discuss about PD, VMwF, and BC. Cheers.
deadman8836
post Apr 14 2009, 09:09 AM

Casual

at times i encounter some freezes while using windows where i gotta restart the virtual machine.... I have no idea if it is my XP's problem or PD..... like if i wanna open up a folder on XP's desktop, nothing comes out.... after awhile like lets say for 10-15minutes, it suddenly comes out.... and also the freeze on my bitcomet where it just hang there.... so ahblu3, what u reckon on this problem? windows (as usual) or PD?
TSahblu3
post Apr 14 2009, 11:49 PM

Getting Started

deadman8836, first of all, what Mac are you using? I didn't encounter any freeze on the virtual machine before. For me, I'm using 2.0 alu MB, I allocate 1 core, 512MB RAM, and 128MB Video RAM to run WinXP on PD. Try to monitor your iStat Pro when you run PD. Do you run PD on a BootCamp partition? Or like me, just totally virtual?

Like I said on the previous post, you can try Azureus Vuze for downloading torrents on Mac OS. So you don't need to run BitComet thru PD.

---

EDIT: you problem sounds familiar to me, I used to encounter exactly what you are facing, on my damn old PC running XP, many years ago. Problem occurs intermittently, at the end found out the cause is out of date XP and a bad HDD. Old HDD with only 15GB with a lot of bad sectors. LOL. But I cannot confirm what is the cause of your problem just base on your brief description.

This post has been edited by ahblu3: Apr 14 2009, 11:56 PM
lloyd1030
post Apr 15 2009, 05:49 PM

Getting Started

hi everyone, i want to ask you guys about 1 thing, where can we buy both the software, PD or VMware beside at apple's retail store?

And 1 more thing, does anyone here use VMware before? If you have use it, has your machine heat up when you start up the guest OS?

deadman8836
post Apr 16 2009, 01:34 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ahblu3 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:49 PM)
deadman8836, first of all, what Mac are you using? I didn't encounter any freeze on the virtual machine before. For me, I'm using 2.0 alu MB, I allocate 1 core, 512MB RAM, and 128MB Video RAM to run WinXP on PD. Try to monitor your iStat Pro when you run PD. Do you run PD on a BootCamp partition? Or like me, just totally virtual?

Like I said on the previous post, you can try Azureus Vuze for downloading torrents on Mac OS. So you don't need to run BitComet thru PD.

---

EDIT: you problem sounds familiar to me, I used to encounter exactly what you are facing, on my damn old PC running XP, many years ago. Problem occurs intermittently, at the end found out the cause is out of date XP and a bad HDD. Old HDD with only 15GB with a lot of bad sectors. LOL. But I cannot confirm what is the cause of your problem just base on your brief description.
ahblu3, i'm running totally on virtual with the same setting as yours... maybe u r right, my XP is not up to date *ahem pirated ahem version*.... there is no freeze with the whole PD, just bitcomet alone which requires me to restart the whole PD system bcos bitcomet doesnt start up anymore after force shutdown...... oh, i need to thank u and give u credits for recommending me Azureus Vuze..... It hella faster than Utorrent..... thank you.... notworthy.gif
mactrader
post Apr 19 2009, 01:20 PM

Group: Newbie

Can anyone recommend any shops that can install Bootcamp and also WinXP for me on my Macbook?

Currently on Tiger.

Can anyone recommend any shops that can install Bootcamp and also WinXP for me on my Macbook?

Currently on Tiger.
Trong-FC
post Apr 19 2009, 01:23 PM

Getting Started

you can do it by yourself actually..
but for tiger you need to use some skill to install the bootcamp....
ff8ong
post Apr 19 2009, 01:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!

You can possible do it your self,but tiger bootcamp,if not mistake is Beta version only.

fabianz03
post Apr 19 2009, 01:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!

If you have WinXP disk then it's easy.
Open bootcamp, divide the drive space that you want to use for your WinXP,
Wait for it to devide, then viola! Insert your XP disc and install like you normally do when you're using a PC.
winmac
post Apr 20 2009, 05:03 PM

BootCamp for me is a dream come true. I can do all thestuff like Words and games on Windows and browse, watch movies, blog on Mac. I tried running Parallel 3 once and I hate the lag.
TSahblu3
post Apr 20 2009, 11:51 PM

Getting Started

Well I suppose you didn't allocate the hardware configuration properly and run heavy apps on both OS, that might cause the lag. PD4 sure do improve alot.
cRazYee
post Apr 22 2009, 12:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!

whoever successfully tried PD 4.0 with vista 64bit?
my one no good!

Bro you can add one more, which is free, virtual box
lloyd1030
post Apr 22 2009, 12:43 AM

Getting Started

Anyone try virtual box with windows XP or vista?

57 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0834sec    2.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 08:58 PM