Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Technical PlayStation 3 FAQ For Beginners | V2, General PS3 Q&A and Technical Disucssion

views

TSacougan
post Nov 18 2007, 03:33 PM, updated 16y ago

On my way
590 posts

the older thread - PlayStation 3 FAQ For Beginners | V1

Since a lot of newcomers are joining the PS3 subforum, let's consolidate the Frequently Asked Questions into one place.

The format is simple, post & ask any questions regarding PS3. When other forumers answer it, we can update the 1st post. If anyone spot some incorrect info on the answers, let us know the corrections.

Added on

http://playstation.custhelp.com - Official Playstation Knowledge Center

http://manuals.playstation.net - PS3 manual

Unofficial PLAYSTATION®3 GENERAL FAQ at boardsus.playstation.com compiled by AckeheceKoheo

PS3 / Games Complete FAQ - Everything you need to know! at gameaxis forums compiled by charleslin

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html - (thanks to ruztynail for the link)

Added on

Q) Tell me more about PS3 firmware update 2.60
A) Refer here. The link for FW2.60
MD5 hash = 043067d8624040f9f3f1a8dc2e662bce
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Reference for the folder structure used on a USB removable flash drive. The correct structure is essential when copying certain files to the PS3.

the MD5 hash is on the link itself - regiondirectory/YYYY_MMDD_MD5hash/PS3UPDAT.PUP
http://fsa01.ps3.update.playstation.net/up...-updatelist.txt

some MD5 hash checkers -
http://www.mgillespie.plus.com/MD5Check.zip
http://www.download.com/DigestIT-2004/3000...4-10387706.html

Q) After updating the PS3's FW, now my PS3 is bricked
A) Refer to PS3 hidden recovery menu and here - szhafri, Muchi

Added on

SPECIAL ATTENTION:

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

There have been several cases of lens problems with PS3. While there is no solid explanation for these lens failures (one theory is the overheating of the lens), I'll just list down some of the best practices recommended by our community here.

- if possible, remove the BD from PS3 before you shut it off (advice from Bernard of GS)
- in any case of freeze/lockups, eject any disc in the drive first before attempting to restart the system. This will lower the risk of the BD drive problem - vorchiel
- a few have theorized the questionable quality of pirated DVD movies may overly-stressed the BD laser leading to failures, best avoid them
- as always, don't place the ps3 in a closed off cabinet with restricted airflow. make sure the placement of the ps3 don't block any of its vents.
- Try not to place your PS3 on the same level that you place your front speakers. The sounds generated from the speakers regardless low or high volume will cause some low or high vibration across the AV cabinet or table panel and this might have a negative damage impact on the BD mechanism lens and it parts (especially when the lens is in reading mode, the sensitivity is much greater to any shock or vibration) - raoul

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Added on

Q) I'm buying a PS3 soon! What is the current pricing at local shops?
A) Join discussion about updated pricing here.

Q) The are many regions/versions of PS3, I'm confused!?
A) Check this [http://edepot.com/playstation3.html]list[/url] - vorchiel

Q) The are many regions/versions of PS3, how to identify what region is the PS3?
A) Check the sticker on the box/back of the console. 06 indicates MY/SGP set. at the moment, MY model number - CECHK06
http://asia.playstation.com/eng_my/index.p...tion_3/hardware

Q) Which ps3 version/country&compatible are the best and suitable for malaysia's ps3 gamers?
A) Since the ps3 games are region free, it doesn't really matter what region ps3 to buy. SonyMY have recently launched PS3 model CECHK06 so it is recommended to buy MY set. Local set comes with 1 year warranty (parts + labor). Obviously this include the infamous PS3 "lens problem".

http://asia.playstation.com/my/en/support/...antyInformation
https://www.playstation.com.hk/warrant_mem/...ber/mem_reg.jsp
http://mysony.sony.com.my/ps_warranty.htm
http://corp.sony.com.my/genuine/genuine_verify.asp

This are some tips how to know its Malaysia 80GB PS3 :

Q) My PS3 is from JP/USA/etc. Do I need a step-up or step-down power transformer?
A) PS3 has an auto-sensing power supply. No transformers needed.

Q) Can i replace the japan power cable given with a standard pc power cable?
A) Yes, PS3 uses the standard power cable used in PCs and monitors. So if you bought an import US/JP/TW/etc set, you can just replace with your own M'sian plug cable.

Q) How much are original games? Are the games region free?
A) Yes, PS3 games are region free. Games can cost anywhere between RM160 to RM 220, depending on the game or region. Go ahead and download demos, its easy to do and will provide you an idea of what to expect from some games - Hitman190

Q) So whats the difference between US and Asian version of the game? Language? Some of it price diff is really high.
A) Not much difference. Obviously all US Version game support English Language and have English manuals. Not all Asian versions support English and they usually have chinese game manuals, so check the back of the cover (language is listed there) before buying. US games are around USD60, while Asian games are HKD350~450.
Note: free or paid DLC(expansions/game-addons) are region specific. For example, a US version version of Warhawk only works with US version of WH expansion pack. Another example, Asian Folklore only works with DLC packs from Asian PSN store.

Q) The ps3 games - R1,R2,R3. What's the difference?
A) Refer http://forums.gameaxis.com/showpost.php?p=...150&postcount=4

Q) Do we need to buy games of the same region to be able to play online together?
A) This is a tricky question. Some PS3 games are fully international and can play online worldwide across the different versions (e.g warhawk, GTA4), some can not (e.g motorstorm, MGS4). Best do some research on the game's online capability first before buying.

Q) Can I play ps1/ps2 games on PS3?
A) The short answer - all PS3 models can play PS1 games. (the disc based PS1 games are still region locked - Asian PS3 code is NTSC/J)
The long answer - some earlier models of PS3 can also play PS2 games, but they are not longer made/sold. The best option to play PS2 games is still PS2 + SDTV smile.gif

Q) If my ps3 asia version, can it play whatever blu-ray movie region?
A) Asian PS3 plays blu-ray region A.

Region A: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.
Region B: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Region C: India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia

for europe region free titles, u can check here - PrinceOfPersia

Added on
SETUP & ACCESSORIES

Q) I'm on a budget but wish to enjoy PS3 in HD rather than my old TV. What are my cheapest options?
A) Get a wide-screen LCD monitor ~RM700. Make sure it has DVI(HDCP) or HDMI input and supports 720p. Buy a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Get a budget 2.1 speaker set if needed.
user posted image
LCD Monitor Thread v5.00 - TheUndead

Q) I want to play PS3 with LCD monitor. But its an old model which does not support DVI or HDCP. How?
A) You need a VGA box - it converts the component output to VGA signal
eg. VGA box 2198p, www.hdboxpro.com, etc.
Refer to the VGA box setup guide on post 2 further down the pg - kazasho

Q) A widescreen PC LCD monitor basically has an aspect ratio of 16:10(compared to a widescreen LCD TV which is 16:9), rite? So, does the image usually appear stretched for the LCD monitor? Is it too obvious?
A) It will be stretched slightly if the monitor does not support 1:1 pixel mapping since the aspect ratio is different. However it is not that noticeable (well at least for me) - theGOne

Q) I'm using PS3 with PC monitor. But the monitor don't have speaker/sound. How?
A) You need a 2.1 speaker set. For the audio, you need to get yourself a Y-splitter cable. Like this:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Then, connect the composite cable to the back of your PS3, the red and white audio to the Y-splitter, and the other end of the Y-splitter to your speakers. Just ask any computer shop for it. Must have one. Only RM10 I think. - TheUndead
The Y-splitter cable RM4-5 bucks if u buy from imbi plaza , electrical shop behind imbi mario, they have a lot of conversion cables of any type - Synco
Can also buy at Jalan Pasar - theGOne

Alternatively, if you buy a Home Theater in a Box (HTiB) set that accepts optical input and decodes DD5.1 and DTS , you can enjoy surround sound.

Q) What PS3 games support DTS? how to enable its support?
A) Refer here.

Q) How do reset the PS3 display settings. (e.g. moving from SDTV<->HDTV)?
A) The factory reset is probably what you need to try next. Hold down the power button (with the back power switch in the on position) for 10+ seconds till you hear multiple beeps. Once the reset is done, when you power up, the ps3 should auto-detect the HDMI connection. - Ninja

Q) I heard the SGP/HK PS3 set supports NTSC. Can I play it on my TV?
A) If you are using HDTV, you don't need to worry about PAL / NTSC color systems because it only matters if you are using a SDTV. Most if not all SDTV sold in Malaysia support PAL & NTSC- nwk
NTSC consoles refuse to play certain PAL discs when the console is set to use SD output. - vorchiel
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...read.id=1347414

Q) My new PS3 has only 40GB? How to upgrade the HDD?
A) Here are some guides - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

The PS3 will format the HDD automatically. If you straightaway upgrade your HDD after purchasing your PS3, then there is no need to do the backup function of files/gamesaves/videos/music from the old HDD. Just pop in the new HDD, format it using the PS3, and if you want to use linux, just repartition it using the PS3 OS before transferring any new files to the new HDD as the repartitioning process wipes all data. Dont worry about the folder structure, they will be autogenerated by PS3 - vorchiel

Q) I bought a 40/80GB set but the HDD is showing less than 40/80GB available space, what happened?
A) Around 12% of PS3 HDD is reserved by the GameOS as system cache.
Here's some rough estimate of usable space:
31/37GB
46/55GB
64/74GB <- 80GB SET
98/111GB
130/149GB
205/232GB
263/298GB

Q) Can PS3 use SATA-2 HDD, is there any difference? can PS3 use 7200rpm?
A) Check out this topic here. "The PS3's controller is SATA150. A SATAII HDD would switch to SATAI capabilities because of backward compatibility. So there would be no difference."
What I do know is, keep the original PS3 HDD with you no matter what because if for some unforseen reason you need to send your PS3 to Sony, you need to have the original PS3 HDD back in the PS3. And if there are any stickers on the HDD, make sure you leave it as it is. - Muchi

Q) I cant get my portable hard disk to be recognized by my 40 GB PS3. Any ideas? I connected both usb plugs already.
A) your external storage devices must be formatted with FAT32 not NTFS. - tot31

Q) Windows can't format bigger than 32GB for FAT32. Help? Can PS3 detect an external USB FAT drive bigger than 32GB?
A) I found a software that can do it (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197) - aiman04
Yes, its able to read bigger size HDD as long as its FAT32, im using swissknife (go google) - rx330
Connect your HDD to your PC and install/use swissknife to format it to FAT32 - Ninja

Q) I have test 2 of my 2.5" USB drive formatted using swissknife v3.0 but it still failed. both are 80GB,IDE, FAT32 & single partition. different brand. different casing. any recommendation brand for USB casing?
A) I think it is because of the lack of power. Some USB casing need to use 2 ports to provide sufficient power to the HDD. Or maybe try to use different formatter/partitioner. I used Gparted liveCD to partition & format my 60GB to FAT32 as XP refuses to create a FAT32 partition bigger than 32GB. - vorchiel

Q) The backup utility will keep all your game saves, pictures, videos, songs, but not the XMB, ID settings, etc because they are stored in somekind of a BIOS like memory. Now my understanding is, it will backup the demo games too, but not the purchased ones because of copyright thing? So I need to re-download my purchased games again?
A) The backup utility will backup purchased PSN games & content too. Remember, you can redownload PSN puchases as many times you want through the same PS3. Most PSN purchases can be activated on <= 5 different PS3s.

Q) Does USB hub or card reader works with the 40GB PS3?
A) Yes and tested by forumer redbull_y2k. a DC-powered USB hub is recommended for certain USB devices (e.g rockband setup)

Q) What's the difference between DS3 and 6axis?
A) DS3 is basically an upgraded 6axis controller, it has vibration (for games that support it).

Q) I have a DS2 controller. Can I use on a PS3?
A) Get a PS2-USB controller. Local shops got sell

You can now use the DS2 as a 2nd controller.

Q) How to reset the 6axis/DS3 controller?
A) Turn off the controller. On the back there is a pin hole use a paper clip and hold it for 5-10 seconds. then attach the usb cable and press the PS/HOME button - monyetbesi

Q) What webcams are compatible with the PS3?
A) For video chats, most USB webcams are supported, including PS2 Eyetoy. For PS3 Eye apps/games, you need the PS3 Eye - snipersnake

Q) Can PS3 able to support USB keyboard and mouse? Imagine if it can support these peripherals, it would be great to play First Person Shooter on PS3.
A) If the programmers program their PS3 game to support KB+M, then yes, you can use it to game. Currently, only UT3 offer this support. An alternative will be the [FragFX Controller]. google for reviews and impressions. IINM, forumer [lksing78] has this controller.

Q) Can i ask how to sync my bt headset with the ps3?
A) Grab your BT headset manual and do what the headset tells you to do to get it in "Sync Mode". Go to your PS3 XMB - Accessories - Register BT device - BT Headset.
if you threw away the manual - google is your friend. * - from a google cache of forums.gametrailers.com

Q) Can you give me links to bluetooth wireless headsets that is compatible with the ps3?
A) Refer here - vorchiel

Q) Can i use US dualshock 3 on a SG set?
A) Accessories have no region-lock - you can use it.

Added on
XMB

Q) I need some help with the ps3 internet settings (port forwarding, NAT & DMZ settings). Help?
A) Here's a good guide, here and here
Try setting the MTU setting to 1364 on both the router and the PS3. A few have reported more stable connections at MTU 1364.

Q) What router should I get for PSN?
A) Join the discussion about routers here

Q) I've heard of Folding@Home on the PS3. How can I contribute?
A) Read more here and here.

Q) Where to find user created themes?
A) http://www.allps3themes.com/
http://www.psu.com/themes.php
http://www.ps3-themes.com/
make a folder name "PS3", then sub-folder "THEME"
put those .p3t files inside, then install and delete as u see fit

Q) Where to find Malaysian XMB smiley?
A) *done by vorchiel using template from neogaf

Q) How to turn on/off the information board?
A) Select the information board and press triangle button. The Information Board display the latest news from the playstation site. It will display according to the PS3 region set. For example, a HK set will only display news from asia.playstation.com.hk

Q) Why doesnt the console seem to be able to detect the media stored in my thumbdrive?
A) On menu highlight thumbdrive then press triangle button ("Display All" function) - Microsuck_360

Q) What is this i hear about the Earth Visualizer?
A) Press square while playing a song, press it three times to view it.

Added on
PSN

Q) I just got a PS3. What should I do 1st?
A) set up different accounts for different playstation stores (jpn, us, eu) and download demos to play with.
let everyone know your main PSN id so we can add you - ihatemyguts

Q) What is everyone playing now? What is the everyone's PSNID?
A) Check out the PlayStation Network Community thread. Note that currently the XMB has a max limit of 50 friendlist.

Q) Why do gamers setup so many different PSN account?
A) Actually to play online games, 1 main PSN account is enough (recommend set a US account). Some of us like to use different country PSN to get access to the various demos/trailers offered. We can register for PSN Malaysia ID at the moment but PSN MY Store is coming soon (end of 2008)
How to Register PlayStation®Network

Q) How to access the different PSN Stores (US,EU,JP,Asian,etc) ?
A) Create a new user in your PS3, then when registering for PSN, choose MY, US, UK, JP, SGP, HK, AUZ, etc. as country. You'll need a new email address and an address with postcode of that country. Either enter a random address or google to find one.

Create a new user (leftmost column in xmb), then sign in normally on the PSN column (2nd from right i think)
1 user (local account on ps3) can only associate with 1 psn id
1 ps3 can have up to 12users (or 16?) - vorchiel

Q) Can I create PSNID account using PC ?
A) Yes, you can register and create your PSN ID using your PC (no PS3 needed) at the following site:
http://store.playstation.com/game/index.vm - Ninja

Q) I don't understand JPN, but I wish to download the JPN store demos. Help?
A) Refer here to create a JPN PSNID.

Q) The PSN d/load speed is very slow. How to install demos/game patches using PC aka proxy method?
A) After FW 2.35, the proxy method is limited to d/loading same game link. Install the CF3B5's PS3.Proxyserver GUI on your PC, refer here & here- Ninja, aiman04

Q) How to download PS3 Games patch lightning fast?
A) Refer to the following tutorial: http://ottomatteseo.blogspot.com/2008/11/f...ames-patch.html

Q) Do we have to pay for online gaming on PSN?
A) All online gaming for PS3 games is currently free. However, if they release a MMORPGs games in the future, they may charge a subscription for MMO games.

Q) I'm trying to purchase games and add-ons off the US PSN Store using my credit card. Help?
Short answer -
For US store - use entropay.com
UPDATE - it seems Entropay is now working again on US PSN store! - discuss Entropay here
For Asian Store (SGP/HK) - use M'sian credit card.

Q) Tell me more about PSN prepaid cards.
A) Right now, you can purchase JP/SGP/HK/TWN PSN prepaid wallet cards. It works similar to mobile prepaid cards. play-asia or ebay has some for sale.

note: currently the HK cards are available at p-a
SGP cards are hard to find, even in SGP, most gameshops don't carry them.
JPN cards/tickets buy from ebay, very quick can get codes.
US cards are available - buy from ebay.

Q) I've read PSN DLC content is region-locked to the game region. It this true?
A) Yes, free or paid DLC(expansions/game-addons) are region specific. For example, a US version version of Warhawk only works with US version of WH expansion packs. Another example, Asian Folklore only works with DLC packs from Asian PSN store. Keep this in mind before buying any DLC!

Q) I've read most PSN games/content can be shared/activated between 5 different PS3s. How?

Added on
MISC.

Q) I'm playing ___ game and my PS3 hang! Help?
A) Sometimes certain programming bugs/glitches can hang the PS3 OS. No choice but to reset (either soft reset and go back to XMB or do hard reset). Try to note down when and what trigger the hang.

Q) I'm playing ___ game and my PS3 hang! Help?
A) In any case of freeze/lockups, eject any disc in the drive first before attempting to restart the system. This will lower the risk of the BD drive problem [citation needed] - vorchiel

Q) I get a XMB error msg. What does it mean?
A) Refer here - slickz

Q) My ps3 stopped detecting discs. How to fix?
A) If you have a SGP set and have a way to send it to Sony SGP Service Center for RMA, they'll honor the warranty.

TheUndead's PS3 Warranty Claim FAQs for Singapore PS3 sets

forumer snipersnake share's his RMA procedure

Some gamers here have tried a non-official fix involving the spare-part [SONY PlayStation3 PS3 KES-400AAA Laser]. Contact forumer [tot31] or [bernard moh], they have experience in such repairs. These are the threads discussing the problem - here & here

Q) What is the PS3 automatic Fan test/Internal Dust cleansing method?
A) http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/672677

Q) Install Linux - which one is the best version?
A) I am using Ubuntu, runs perfectly on my PS3 with 1080p - babyk
installing linux to ps3 wont brick it,ps3 is designed to allow installation of linux...u can try ubuntu 7.10 with ps3 installation capability - nate_nightroad
Linux on PS3 Thread

Q) What is the different between 1080i and 1080p screen resolution?
A) i or p is done by hardware
i=interlace
p=progressive
1080 is the vertical resolution and horizontal might differs from 1 screen to another depending on your hardware - babyk

Added on

This post has been edited by acougan: Jan 21 2009, 05:08 PM
TSacougan
post Nov 18 2007, 03:34 PM

On my way
590 posts

I'll reserve this post to discuss media (video/audio)

disclaimer: i'll copy paste most of the info cause i'm clueless regarding this issues

QUOTE(leenux @ Sep 4 2008, 02:43 PM)
PS3 supported format (for the benefit of everyone smile.gif)

VIDEO
• Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
• MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
• MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
• MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
• MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
• MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
• AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
• AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
• DivX
• WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

MUSIC
• ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)
• AAC (.3gp .mp4)
• MP3 (.mp3)
• WAV (.wav)

IMAGES
• JPEG
• GIF
• PNG
• TIFF
• BMP

or refer here for future updates: WIKI

Added on
Q) How to link my pc as a media servers for ps3?
A) You can use "Tversity". Just get the lastest version (google it), and install the codecs (i think it comes with codecs). Tried playing mkv files, didnt work with tversity - small-jeff

Q) How to Transfer media file from PC to PS3 using network?
A) Found this website for transferring file via network to PS3, TEsted.....Ran Smoothly & perfectly thumbup.gif , even transferring file >4GB, only that about <10 min - kelvin5353
http://www.di.co.nz/PSMediaTunnel/index.htm

Note) http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/medialink
for those who wanna link their PS3 to their macs - rx330

Added on

Q) Can O download movies .avi file from my PC n then transfer to PS3 to watch? Can PS3 supports .mkv in (.h264) file format?
A) Just use your pendrive or external HDD la... If want can copy to your PS3's internal... Not just AVI files (DiVX), WMV, VOB or MP4 with 720p/1080p HD content (h264) also can...
h264 yes. But it's the MKV header that's PS3 cannot read. So you need to demux the MKV, and remux it back to MP4. - aiman04

Added on
How to demux the MKV, and remux it back to MP4 - aiman04

It's been 2 weeks of extensive research about PS3 for me. Found a software that can extract AVC.h264, convert the audio only, and remux to create a .MP4 files from my .MKV HD videos (even splitting the file at 4GB if it's too big, PS3 have problems for videos >4GB playback, plus FAT can only store 4GB each file). If anyone wants it, you can get it here, http://sentry23.googlepages.com/. The software is fast, about 10 minute for a 3 GB video. This because it doesn't do any converting to the video because it's already in AVC.h264 format, it only remuxes it to the .MP4 container so that PS3 recognizes it . But it mostly works with 720p videos only, even though some 1080p can be successful too.

Now I'm going ahead to upgrade my HDD, maybe get a 5400rpm to be safe. Swissknife, I'll google that.

About video playback? YES, we can play videos at its native 720p resolution, even 1080p.

I found two programs that are quite reliable to do it. I'll try to write about it a little bit. Might miss something, as I'm writing from my memory.

PS3 Video 9
Recommended for remuxing .MOV Quicktime HD Videos

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Can convert almost any video files to PS3 video formats. But converting big and long vidoes will take a very long time for HD videos at 720p or 1080p.

So they also provide a profile to extract AVC.h264 video and it's audio (it will convert the audio only if needed) from .MKV or .MOV (Quicktime) files, and then remux the video and audio together again, but this time into an MPEG-4 video container that is .MP4. This will take only about 1 minute for file that will take 50 minutes if you do the normal conversion. To use this don't use the wizard, but use the "current conversion" tab instead.

MKV file - Select "MKV Passthrough" method.
720p - Works 50% of the time.
1080p - Never work for me.

MOV file - Select "Quicktime HD MOV Passthrough" method.
720p - Works 95% of the time.
1080p - Works 95% of the time.

I still use this program to convert HD movie trailers from http://www.apple.com/trailers/#section=justhd which you can get 1080p trailers with awesome picture quality. And PS3 will play it that same native 1080p resolution!

GOTSent 0.23 Beta 6
Recommended for remuxing .MKV Matroska HD Videos

http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

If you don't already have it, you'll also need these two filters:

AC3Filter Haali Media splitter
http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

AC3Filter
http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases

Doesn't do any conversion, only remuxes .MKV files to MPEG-4 video format for PS3. Very fast.

Just browse for your .MKV file, it will extract AVC.h264 video and it's audio (it will also convert the audio only if needed) from the .MKV file, and then remux the video and audio together again, into an MPEG-4 video container that is .MP4. This also take only about 1 minute for file that will take 50 minutes if you do the normal conversion.

Plus one extra feature, it can split your video at 4GB if it's bigger than that, because of 2 things. First, if you transfer the file using USB external FAT32 HDD, you can only put files no bigger than 4GB, second, I read reports saying that PS3 has troubles playing videos bigger than 4GB.

MKV file only.
720p - Works all the time.
1080p - Never work for me, but can be successful for high profile h264 videos.

Really reliable for .MKV files. I have download a certain 7.5GB .MKV 143 minutes video with 720p resolution, used this program to remux it, took about 15 minutes. The video was split to two 3.6GB .MP4 files. Transfered using my USB HDD, and the video played gorgeously at 720p resolution!

Download the latest version here:

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

The GOTSent program is for MKV videos only. It is really easy. Just browse for your file, set destination folder, leave everything as default, and click convert.

http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

Maybe you need to install these first:

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/

http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases

My method here doesn't change the video resolution, frame rate, etc at all. It just take it as it is and put it into an MPEG-4 container. So the picture quality remains as awesome. Hope you get it to work.

Added on

The mkv file must use either AC3 or DTS (will be auto transcoded to AC3) audio not AAC. What the remux process does is, taking out the audio and video from the mkv container and put them into the vob container which PS3 supports.

For 1080p source the whole video will be trancoded into MPEG2 codec and the final file size will be bigger but the picture quality remains. For instance an 8GB of 1080p source will be 10GB after the transcoding process and it will take a while, depends how powerful your PC is.

The best part is all the vob files regardless the size can be transferred to PS3 HDD via network. So don't need to burn into a DVDR or split those big files to fit into those FAT32 external devices which have 4GB size limitation.

Q) hmm...is it possible to play video files larger than 2Gb and formats other than .avi..? must install linux er?
A)yes you can playback file larger than 2GB other than avi like mkv files but you must remux it into a vob or trancode/convert it into mpeg2 and transfer it via network to PS3 hdd....

Remux mkv into vob :-

Pros
- Only take 15-20mins.
- file size remains the same.
- picture quality remains like the original source.

Cons
- you can't ff/rw while playback.
- you can't stop in the middle and continue, once you stop, you must Play it from the beginning. You can only Pause the video.

Transcode/Convert into MPEG2

Pros
- you can ff/rw, stop in the middle and continue.
- picture quality remains like the original source.

Cons
- takes a longer time, 3-5 hours of transcoding (depends on the file size and how powerful your PC is).
- the file size will be almost double from the original file. - tot31

Added on

This post has been edited by acougan: Jan 17 2009, 03:57 PM
TSacougan
post Nov 18 2007, 03:35 PM

On my way
590 posts

PS3 setup with VGA Box

QUOTE(kazasho @ Oct 31 2008, 12:47 AM)
ok guys, to whom who want to use vga box

this model is VGA BOX 2198P, bought for RM120

inside got vga cable, y-splitter audio, power cable, vertical stand, manual

Im using a VGA LCD monitor, I need the vga box as a converter

Since Im using HDTV with HDMI cable before, so I need to change the display output setting first using HDTV + HDMI cable, then connect with component cable

component + audio cable with av multi in the other end

input to ps3

for audio setting

vga box

This post has been edited by acougan: Oct 31 2008, 01:10 AM
TSacougan
post Nov 18 2007, 03:35 PM

On my way
590 posts

Ask a question, get an answer

...reserved for future use............

This post has been edited by acougan: Nov 18 2007, 03:49 PM
TSacougan
post Aug 18 2008, 05:31 PM

On my way
590 posts

?? what happened to the other 2500 posts ??

was it cleaned up? actually i haven't been following the thread, especially the last few weeks. felt too lazy to maintain the 1st post even though is just C&P&edit job once in a while.

anyone else interested to take care of V2? just create a new one and get the mods to pin in up instead.
TSacougan
post Sep 15 2008, 12:45 PM

On my way
590 posts

^ sorry to say disc-based PSOne games are still region-locked

PSN PSOne games where u buy for ~RM20/ea from the Store are region free.
TSacougan
post Sep 15 2008, 08:28 PM

On my way
590 posts

around 12% of PS3 HDD is reserved for cache.

here's some rough estimate of usable space
31/37GB
46/55GB
64/74GB
98/111GB
130/149GB
205/232GB
263/298GB
TSacougan
post Sep 22 2008, 04:21 PM

On my way
590 posts

^ i'm not familiar with lcd monitor and how their HDMI pass-through works, mb there's some settings u need to adjust on ur lcd?

anyway, i suggest u connect the PS3 output sound directly to the 2.1 speaker and see if the problem recurs. use a Y-adaptor, picts are on 1st page.
TSacougan
post Sep 22 2008, 10:35 PM

On my way
590 posts

haha, SC4 is a normal game u need to buy. not every MY PS3 comes with "free" SC4. those are special launch promotion bundles.

but u can d/load the SC4 demo fr PSN before deciding on purchase
TSacougan
post Sep 23 2008, 11:18 AM

On my way
590 posts

their service center will entertain all those sets with MY offical stickers. do keep your receipt for documentation purposes.

i'm sure SonyMY have a database of the valid S/N of the MY sets. they are the distributors after all.
TSacougan
post Sep 25 2008, 02:13 PM

On my way
590 posts

popping sounds!? i wonder why it'll occur? coming from the fans or vibration from HDD/BD Drive?

anyway, i havn't notice such sounds, mb cos i'm not close enough/observant enough
TSacougan
post Sep 26 2008, 09:36 PM

On my way
590 posts

oops, the "I can't decide whether to get a 40GB or a 60/80GB? " comparison from the 1st page contains old info.

buy the 80Gb MY set and get local warranty (1yr)
buy the 40Gb import set, (mb cheaper) but no DS3 and no local warranty
TSacougan
post Sep 26 2008, 09:52 PM

On my way
590 posts

^go to 1st pg and search for

"How to install demos using PC....."

basically u d/load the installer files (.pkg) using PC and then use proxy program to install.
TSacougan
post Sep 26 2008, 11:18 PM

On my way
590 posts

^i know this sounds silly, but u actually have to login to PSN and start the demo d/load. then pause it and get the link from the proxy program, and d/load using PC.

so, actually proxy program is not that useful anymore (since FW2.35 i think)
TSacougan
post Oct 4 2008, 02:52 AM

On my way
590 posts

^weird, i nvr faced a corrupted d/load before no matter what size the demo.

i am using streamyx with LAN connection, also always pause and resume b/ground d/loads. sorry can't be of more help.
TSacougan
post Oct 5 2008, 11:02 PM

On my way
590 posts

kerollowyat,

the password can only protect ur PSN account from logging in ....

u afraid your housemates use your PS3 when u not around w/o your permission?

tip: take your DS3 or all your games in a CD folder with u when u go out icon_idea.gif laugh.gif
TSacougan
post Oct 5 2008, 11:17 PM

On my way
590 posts

the power cable is standard though, anyone can use a replacement cable.

can install CCTV for 24/7 surveillance tongue.gif
TSacougan
post Oct 6 2008, 02:30 PM

On my way
590 posts

yes, the b/g dloading process is similar.

only difference, on the 360 u can d/load in "low-power mode" and can set it to auto-shut-off when d/load is done (no such option on ps3) and the ps3 d/loaded files need to be "manually" installed before playing. another difference, u can log off PSN and it still works (watching DVDs and BDs will pause it though) and queue more stuff too.

This post has been edited by acougan: Oct 6 2008, 02:31 PM
TSacougan
post Oct 6 2008, 02:56 PM

On my way
590 posts

^ yes. if u have a 24/7 "ON" PC, u can try d/loading the demos using the CF3B5's proxy program. the link is on the 1st page.
TSacougan
post Oct 6 2008, 03:00 PM

On my way
590 posts

^if u play offline games, the b/g d/loading process will likely continue.

when u sign in to PSN for MP gaming session, it will auto-pause, no worries.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0425sec    0.15    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM