Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

84 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Regarding The One Academy!, Students from there hop in!

views

Space
post May 28 2008, 06:34 AM

Getting Started
61 posts

QUOTE(tong1774 @ May 26 2008, 06:22 PM)
And if your answer is number 2, sorry also. Because 80% of the time, what u do is not what u like. Changes after changes, u will end-up with the version that u dont like, perhaps u will start to hate it.
this is so true cry.gif
tong1774
post May 28 2008, 11:24 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

I really hope u guys who plan to venture into this business, be prepare. Think about the future, not just what u like now. As long as u dont feel regret 10 or 20 years from now.
nikeshock
post May 28 2008, 02:39 PM

On my way
561 posts

mr tong, mind to share your salary as reference???
roughly the amount.
tong1774
post May 28 2008, 03:33 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(nikeshock @ May 28 2008, 02:39 PM)
mr tong, mind to share your salary as reference???
roughly the amount.
My salary is not a good reference because i am not doing it any more. But before i left this line, i am getting 9K as an animation director. 9K is not a lot consider a fresh oil/gas engineer or traineer pilot get about 5K. And after 12 years they can go up to 20K or even more. 9K can get me a house, and a moderate car, thats it. U cant afford to go europe for holiday. May be china or other part of asia, not even Japan. Lets see:

Hosue loan: RM2080+
Condo maintanence fee: RM180
Chkai pintu: RM300+- (Yearly)
Water + Lectric + Streamyx +Phone: RM400+-
Personel insurance: RM150+
Car Insurance + Roadtax: RM800+- (Yearly)
Car loan: RM1200+
Fuel: RM300+-
Toll: RM100+-
Parking: RM100
Car maintainence: RM150+- (Every 3 months)
Rokok: RM8.20 X 30= RM260+
DVDs: RM50+-
Food: RM500+-
Occasionally mamak or beer: RM100+-
Cinema once a week: RM40+ (Monthly)
Misc: RM100+-
Clothes and shores : RM500+- (Yearly)
Hair cut: RM20+-
Condom and pron: RM50+- tongue.gif
Yearly vacation: RM3000+- (Yearly)
Gadget like phone, computer hardware etc: RM500 (Yearly)

This is what i can think of right now, i am sure there are more hidden expenses that i missed. But u got an idea how much i spend monthly, and deduct by how much i earn. And 9K is not in full amount, u need to deduct EPF and income tax. And the list above is only for me alone. If including my wife and kids some items have to be double or triple. And if my wife doesnt work, i need to cover all her make up, dress, healthy products etc. And for kids, milk powder for the younger one, pampers. The older one education, school activities items, pocket money, or tuition fees.

So now tell me, if u were me, how are u going to support your family? And if u have both parents retired and depends on you financially? And none of the items i listed up there are really exclusive, except may be rokok for Rm260+ and occasionally minum. And even if i save all that, its not going to help much. When i do not own a house or a car, or if i do not have a family with 2 kids, and parents staying with me. If i am 10 years younger, i will like what i am doing. But i just can't. Its very sad, i know. Even with my position and experience, and 9K monthly income, it just aren't enough.

This is not just for ppl doing art, but almost all other area. But like i said, when u are in art line, u dont even have time to compensate your family for all that. So if someone can enlight me the future path of art carrer in Malaysia, i would like to heard it.
nikeshock
post May 28 2008, 05:47 PM

On my way
561 posts

fair enough. whats ur occupation now then? retired?

Added on May 28, 2008, 5:48 pmbtw, rokok 8.20x30 sleep.gif. heavy smoker.

This post has been edited by nikeshock: May 28 2008, 05:48 PM
tong1774
post May 28 2008, 06:14 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(nikeshock @ May 28 2008, 05:47 PM)
fair enough. whats ur occupation now then? retired?

Added on May 28, 2008, 5:48 pmbtw, rokok 8.20x30 sleep.gif. heavy smoker.
Sometimes RM8.20 X 50, or 60 depends if that month is busy or not. Smoke a lot when u work late. As for me, now i am no more in this line, doing own business which has nothing to do with art. And i am just a small share holder. But at least u get what u deserve.

nikeshock
post May 28 2008, 08:58 PM

On my way
561 posts

good luck to you then. and to myself. who is still studying at the one academy. =)
mr.samurai
post May 29 2008, 12:21 AM

6 posts

wah liao....wat a harsh time to be one....
ei mr tong after c wat u wrote n others ah...
nw feel damn tension hmm.gif
rclxub.gif shitzzzz

This post has been edited by mr.samurai: May 29 2008, 12:32 AM
DeMoNkInG
post May 29 2008, 12:45 AM

Casual
385 posts

hi there.. i am toa student and i can say that i completely agree wif mr.tong said.. everything he said is quite true.. im still studying and i can say that i can feel his word.. im now also quite regreting taking art line and planning to switch to business.. btw, im at interior design major.. and i have no life.. all my frens said college life fun and they just playing everyday.. but me.. man, dont even mention it..
tong1774
post May 29 2008, 12:54 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(DeMoNkInG @ May 29 2008, 12:45 AM)
hi there.. i am toa student and i can say that i completely agree wif mr.tong said.. everything he said is quite true.. im still studying and i can say that i can feel his word.. im now also quite regreting taking art line and planning to switch to business.. btw, im at interior design major.. and i have no life.. all my frens said college life fun and they just playing everyday.. but me.. man, dont even mention it..
Thanks for reading all my long post. Hope this can help young people decide what they want to do. If anybody want to know more about this industry, i meant everything, i will try my best to help, or at least give you some guide.
zeist
post May 29 2008, 01:41 AM

Mivec 1800cc
All Stars
15,182 posts

Animation obviously can earn more than Graphic or Multimedia designers because its 3D, 3D work always fetch at higher price. My this animation lecturer told us that, a 30 seconds animation can earn freaking a lot of money, and if there are group projects going on, each project can earn about RM20K, then divide among themselves.

I can say that, I'm definitely not going to do design only till I retire. tongue.gif

It will be useful for me in future. biggrin.gif

tong1774
post May 29 2008, 02:09 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(zeist @ May 29 2008, 01:41 AM)
Animation obviously can earn more than Graphic or Multimedia designers because its 3D, 3D work always fetch at higher price. My this animation lecturer told us that, a 30 seconds animation can earn freaking a lot of money, and if there are group projects going on, each project can earn about RM20K, then divide among themselves.

I can say that, I'm definitely not going to do design only till I retire.  tongue.gif

It will be useful for me in future.  biggrin.gif
A 30sec tvc can fetch from 20K to 80K in Malaysia market, which 80K is on the high side, and now days not many tvc can fetch 80K for any studio in Malaysia. So let say client has 60K for the 3D production cost. When this project goes to freelancer, the client or agency will expect a "cost cut" to may be 30 to 40K.

So this project require 4 animators to work for the duration of 4 weeks including pre-pro, production and sometimes the post-pro. If u only have one project at a time due to timing or other reason, each person will get 10K in a month. Yes sounds good. But now days not many client willing to pay u 50% before the start of the production, and u may only recieve 30% halfway of the production, thats 2K+ for each. And by rules they should pay u the remaining by the time of material delivery. But many fail to do so, and they will start to talk to u about the next project. Because u want to get their next project, u won chase him too hard for the money worrying that he may get pissed off. So u continue with the next project. If u are lucky, u may get another 30% next month, so they still own you 40%, and god bless u for that remaining 40%.

And imagine after 3 jobs in 2 to 3 months time, u only recieved may be 9K for each person. And then they will start to nitpicking and find an excuse to look for other freelancer, or sometimes even without any excuse. And they will do the same thing to other freelancers in the industry. With every job they skip the 40%, after 10 job its a big money. So how many months can u stand with 2K+ monthly? And tvc is not like school project, they are not as kind as your lecturer.

So after 6 months to one years, due to the financial problem, or lack of project. The team will split. And u will have to start all over again. I use to work as a freelancer for 4 years. Some times i can earn 20K a month, some times nothing. Some after 3 years still haven pay me the remaining 40%.
nikeshock
post May 29 2008, 04:16 PM

On my way
561 posts

fark. i stepped into the wrong line now.

Added on May 29, 2008, 4:38 pmmr tong, am i dead now? lol. im going for advertising and graphic design. or maybe multimedia.

This post has been edited by nikeshock: May 29 2008, 04:38 PM
tong1774
post May 29 2008, 06:13 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(nikeshock @ May 29 2008, 04:16 PM)
fark. i stepped into the wrong line now.

Added on May 29, 2008, 4:38 pmmr tong, am i dead now? lol. im going for advertising and graphic design. or maybe multimedia.
So u are in 3D now? Actually nor matter what u doing, as long as u are in art industry, u will face this problem. The only option i can see which is good for money.

1) Joint production house, work your way up as a commercial director, good money, flexible timing, most of the time have to bullshit, very stress & mostly screw up live, charge per job.

2) Joint production house, work your way up as a DOP (Director of Photography), good money, flexible timing, not as stress as director & have good live, but require good technical knowledge and no bullshit, charge per job.

3) Joint advertising agency (Big one), work your way up as script writter, creative director or executive producer. Good money, not so flexible timing, stress & politics, bullshit & PR a lot, not so much on technical side, a lot of lubang to get more money (I cant tell u how)

4) Get in-touch with insider of goverment department. Get job for all major projects, very good money, very flexible timing, very not stress, bloody a lot of bullshit & PR, no need technical knowledge, and sometimes dont even need capital.

Above is few ways of making big money, u can easily earn more than 100K a month. A famous director can get 30 to 40K for a 2 days shoot, but more time is needed for pre-pro and post. A damn good DOP can get 10 to 20K in a 2 day shoots, and he only has to work for that 2 days, may be 1 day location survey. And no need to attend pre-pro or post that often. As for agency, its very hard to say how much u can get, may be ranging from 10 to 50K a month, some times more, depends how much lubang u got. The one that really make big money is to get all those goverment projects which will cost millions.

But mind u, all the options above are not easy to achive, but if u really got passion, go for it, and u will be rewarded. But I notice that too late, cant change anything now.

This post has been edited by tong1774: May 29 2008, 06:44 PM
zeist
post May 29 2008, 06:57 PM

Mivec 1800cc
All Stars
15,182 posts

Hey tong,

I appreciate for what you share with us here. Thanks bro. biggrin.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

So currently you are working as a? rolleyes.gif

Mind telling a few big design firms in Malaysia? Googleit may not be accurate, so I need to ask from an experience person like you. tongue.gif

tong1774
post May 29 2008, 07:24 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(zeist @ May 29 2008, 06:57 PM)
Hey tong,

I appreciate for what you share with us here. Thanks bro.  biggrin.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif

So currently you are working as a?  rolleyes.gif

Mind telling a few big design firms in Malaysia? Googleit may not be accurate, so I need to ask from an experience person like you.  tongue.gif
i am currently running my own business, its a trading company. As for big advertising agency in Malaysia, there are a few:

1) O & M - Currently the hottest one, but most of the ppl inside are not friendly except their creative department are ok. Very stress & politics. But got lots of lubang for "extra money"

2) Mccann Ericson - One of the best in Malaysia, there are more pro then O & M. Very stress & politics. But at least they dont play play with their job.

3) Leo Burnett - Very low profile recently, may not seems to have a lot of business, but most of their accounts are huge. And one of the best working enviroment, u feel like working in a 5 star hotel. Stress & politic not sure.

4) DY & R - Doing quite well, good benefits, 2 bonus in a year. Company trip went to Paris in one of those "Good" year. May not be as stress & politics like others, not sure since ppl in & out.

5) Saatchi & Saatchi - Nice team there, ppl are more friendly overall. Less stress & politics. But sometimes can be a bit un-pro. Mainly doing regional account for big client.

6) BBDO - Changed management couple of times, not sure how is condition recently.

Others like JWT, Bates, Dentsu, Grey etc are quite big as well. But from experience, smaller agency ppl are more friendly and less stress & politics. But u want to make big money, u have to venture into politics, AND SURVIVE! Good luck.

This post has been edited by tong1774: May 29 2008, 07:31 PM
nikeshock
post May 30 2008, 12:40 AM

On my way
561 posts

yeah, more on graphic, illustrator, photoshop, packaging design. maybe abit of 3D. hope i can survive in the future. mind to share with me the lubang by pm me? =p
uncle tong, glad ur here to share ur experience with us. much appreciated.

tong1774
post May 30 2008, 01:27 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(nikeshock @ May 30 2008, 12:40 AM)
yeah, more on graphic, illustrator, photoshop, packaging design. maybe abit of 3D. hope i can survive in the future. mind to share with me the lubang by pm me? =p
uncle tong, glad ur here to share ur experience with us. much appreciated.
I can't tell u what the lubang is, as u are still young & passionate, i don't want to corrupt your mind. Really. Its like a teaching a new driver how to do stunt. You will know it when you are in that position.
mr.samurai
post May 30 2008, 01:43 AM

6 posts

oh ic....got so many thing i dint knw..too naive...
thx mr tong....ur a advisor..... rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
but i want to ask ah...if i really get a job in the goverment la....
need anything ah....like knowing ppl inside...get project....or just sign in and get low salary working hour 9 to 5... rclxub.gif
tong1774
post May 30 2008, 02:16 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(mr.samurai @ May 30 2008, 01:43 AM)
oh ic....got so many thing i dint knw..too naive...
thx mr tong....ur a advisor..... rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
but i want to ask ah...if i really get a job in the goverment la....
need anything ah....like knowing ppl inside...get project....or just sign in and get low salary working hour 9 to 5... rclxub.gif
LOL i am not saying u should go in and work in the goverment department, even though your life can be quite relax in there, but pay very low. Unless u are working in those department that can earn your some extra money. I am saying u set up a company and take projects from them.

84 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0228sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:49 PM