post Mar 15 2008, 12:21 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Owen Lai (OL): Apr 5 2017, 06:35 AM
Justbeingblu3
post Mar 15 2008, 01:01 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Owen Lai (OL) @ Mar 14 2008, 08:30 PM)
Yup, don't judge you when I don't even know you. Yes, you are right, I have no right. But one obvious point you neglected in the heat of your anger is that I DID NOT mention anyone being a noob out there. If you are reacting to it, then i say you are merely admitting that you are indeed a noob. Please note that I didn't say any specific person here being noob. And yes, you deserve your grade because your scientific facts aren't enuf. what proof do you have that you have enough to earn an A1? language skills alone just aint sufficient. Trust me on that. I did not mark your paper, but i know because as i stated earlier, my teacher told me so and also that i can think for myself what exactly happened. Ok fine. I retract the 'spamming' statement. But did i whine about your aforementioned noob bloggers that i put as signature? Oh ya, one more thing, just how good is your english because on a pride-saving-yet-arrogant tone you mentioned that 'I may be strong in English'?
QUOTE(Owen Lai (OL) @ Mar 14 2008, 12:32 AM)
As for those pro-english-EST-noob ppl who want to appeal for EST paper recheck
So I assume you were addressing air when you said the above statement? No. I believe you were addressing people who stated they did well in English, but not in EST, and considered appealing for it. I am one of them. Therefore I believe you were calling me a noob? Do correct me if I'm truly mistaken.

What you put as your signature may not seem like whining, but it does sound like it. Also, bloggers have the freedom of speech. If you oppose them, why give them free publicity and bad-talking them in your signature anyways?

And on account on my A1 on English and GCE-O, I do believe I may be strong in English. What proof do you have on your claim to own 'The True Pro's blog'?
zltan
post Mar 15 2008, 01:47 AM

On my way
695 posts

For those you are thinking of re-checking your EST paper, don't bother. EST is a waste of time, does not show how well you do in English and does not show how strong you are in Science. It is one of the stupidest subject ever, along with Moral.

I did my SPM in 2006 and I achieved A1 for English, GCE-O and EST. I read a post of someone writing over 3 pages for the EST essay. Let me stress that this is NOT necessary. I've had a friend who wrote about 5 pages and achieved a B4. Some examiners hate it when you write so much, and you also run a risk of going out of topic or crapping about some nonsense. The best way is to stay in the space given(in EST, you have only like 2-3 pages for your essay in the booklet). Remember, quality beats quantity. Be precise and do not bit around the bush. You are not writing a thesis.

For 1119 (GCE-O), you do not necessarily need to write a hundred idioms to get A1. This paper is based on your mind and how well you can use English to describe want you want. It is more of your skills and ideas rather than (copy+paste+use what others have done). Thus, the best way to actually score in this paper is to pick the (a)story or (b)one word question. If you answered the question such as "the pros and cons of television", you might not achieve a good grade as almost everyone will come up with generic answers.

Concerning the re-checking of papers: It is wise to only re-check them if you are 100% sure that you don't deserve the grade. Eg: Recheck for papers such as Bio, Chem, Maths..etc because you can either be right or wrong. Rechecking language papers are a bit risky as your grade might get downgraded as you never knew whether you (a)went out of topic (b)made too many grammar mistakes ©uninteresting/generic

chupachups
post Mar 15 2008, 08:59 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

i think est is rubbish too. i rechecked and the grade didn't change. once u start applying to uni, no one really gives a hoot as to what you got for est. and i saw that being good in english doesn't always equate to good est results. in fact, u might do worse off. i've got a friend who writes beautiful essays but still got a b3 when other friends got totally minimal flair in writing got an a1. i do not see any correlations there. huh.
TSeducationseeker
post Mar 15 2008, 10:35 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

anyone recheck before spm paper.mind sharing your experience.i wanted to recheck my economic and chemistry.

zx7177
post Mar 15 2008, 10:46 AM

@mp.ZX
2,851 posts

QUOTE(arsenwagon @ Mar 14 2008, 09:31 PM)
no technique? lolx.. i got ntg to say.. coz .. u getting 85 usually, in school , and yet in SPM u got a2. not technique then must be SPM objective questions super duper hard or smtg.
actually the main problem was i forgot what way to write it . cause just before SPM , got tons of people say that the report format change sweat.gif
D_s_X
post Mar 15 2008, 10:57 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(Owen Lai (OL) @ Mar 15 2008, 12:21 AM)
You know what? I think you are seriously missing the plot, my fren. When I quoted you, you were talking about EST. EST here, EST there. I didn't even see a mention of GCE-O English until the second paragraph. Plus, my points on using suitable idioms, writing flair n etc, arent they relevant to GCE-O English? For EST those in fact don't matter so much but for GCE-O English, those are essential because they are language skills. I wonder did you even check where you quoted me and where the quoting from me fits?

Please, don't simply quote around and post one or two liners. If you think that is contribution, I think you are just spamming around, trying to increase post count. PLUS, trying to antagonise me as well, and I'm not buying any bit of it. You are barking up the wrong tree, or person, mister. In fact, I hate MUTTS.
On another note, if you are thinking of having your moral papers rechecked, please dig through your memories to ascertain whether you put enuf n suitable kata kunci and suitable nilai or not. Because I heard they had been lenient as well. This is an advice. notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
Please, dude. I've been talking about it in the first page. Look who's talking =)

My previous posts about EST were just about merely defending those, because your initial statement was a bit rude and harsh IMO. You might have think that I am antagonising you, but still, you yourself and your language are the own factors on why you think you are antagonised. You've just been too rude, and I can't standby to see that. Yes, I know EST is a topic where all the facts are needed. BUT what if the student wrote it? I would think that he deserved better.

Oh yea, GCE-O Levels English is wierd. I've seen a few people with proficient in English, often getting A2s and B3s while the non-regular speakers and writers get A1s and A2s. I seriously don't get this. Have you "heard" from someone how they mark English?
Jedi
post Mar 15 2008, 10:46 PM

Pax Et Bonum
2,239 posts

QUOTE(highbury1913 @ Mar 14 2008, 12:53 AM)
you have got to be kidding me? Penang had excellent results. I have friends at SGGS and the majority of them scored very well for SPM especially 119. A lot of them got A1 for GCE-O shocking.gif
yeah SGGS is an english school. mind you i study in all chinese school. every year theres one centre out of two...get slashed badly. politics my friend.
summer_wizard
post Mar 16 2008, 12:52 AM

Getting Started
106 posts

just recheck...no harm doing it. at least you won't live to regret (for not rechecking) later in life...
two years ago i got 10A1 and 1A2 in BM and i rechecked, coz i always did consistently well in school.
they sent the results in less than 2 weeks...(erm...efficient or didn't even bother rechecking?) go figure...
anyway, the results remain the same...

**off topic** 5C and above is Credit right?
k3nth
post Mar 16 2008, 10:22 PM

24 posts

hey,

can anyone clarify whether there's a risk of my grades dropping lower after a recheck?

anyone can clarify? especially those with experience

thanks

lencent
post Mar 16 2008, 11:33 PM

Regular
1,716 posts

i think last time my school teacher told me tat if after recheck they gave u a lower grade, they will still stick wit ur higher grade... meaning tat either u get a higher grade or stick wit ur current grade... tat was 2 years back la...
darksider
post Mar 16 2008, 11:43 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

I accept the fact that i got b3 in gce-o and b3 in est(used to score A1 in school).My essay might be tedious and childish to the examiner but I have tried my best to write using flashback and still I get b3 for the gce-o.So sometimes you can't really complain because examiners are emotional too,after all they are still human.

Examination is not always fair,it is more like taking a snapshot of your abilities.I have passed the CAE and yet I get B3 for both gce and est.So you can't really complain,results in exams are not always the reflection of your true ability.And bear in mind that,you might have not done well that day.You might have been in low form that day that you couldn't perform like you did everytime.

This post has been edited by darksider: Mar 16 2008, 11:45 PM
Raymonddigimon
post Mar 12 2010, 11:14 AM

18 posts

I got a1 for 1119 gceo and A+ for english but the worst is my bio in which i got B ==
azwan92
post Mar 16 2010, 02:57 PM

Casual
358 posts

guys, help me, i want to rechek my bm paper (B+) and what is "salinan markah pentaksiran berasaskan sekolah spm"?
odieseven
post Mar 16 2010, 03:33 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

azwan92, I assume that that would be your copy of your 'lisan' cert/form.

Anyway, regarding the EST topic, it is indeed a weird subject. To score the EST paper, you must be brilliant in analysis & critical thinking. & yes, if you are good in English, that does not mean that you would be good in EST. I had a student who scored A1 in English but got B3 for EST & another who got A2 for both English & EST. EST is also quite hard to mark as there are a lot of points to be identified other than the language & content points.

This post has been edited by odieseven: Mar 16 2010, 03:36 PM

4 Pages « < 2 3 4Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:18 PM