Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

234 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Automatic Gate, How much do you need to install one ?

views

driftmeister
post Jul 8 2009, 05:29 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,133 posts

QUOTE(weitatt @ Jun 18 2009, 07:10 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

4. They just have to draw 3 wires (live, neutral, earth) from your existing Electrical Distribution Board (DB)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i am going to renovate my house soon
the contractor recommend me to install the autogate wiring with 7 cables compare to the normal 3 cables one?

do u know what's the difference between 7 cables and 3 cables?
btw, wats the general cost for the wiring alone? (for 3 cables)

weitatt
post Jul 9 2009, 12:31 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(driftmeister @ Jul 8 2009, 05:29 PM)
i am going to renovate my house soon
the contractor recommend me to install the autogate wiring with 7 cables compare to the normal 3 cables one?

do u know what's the difference between 7 cables and 3 cables?
btw, wats the general cost for the wiring alone? (for 3 cables)
7 wire cable is for more sophisticated gate motors with counter circuitry. i.e. apart from power supplied to energize the motor there would also be signals coming back to the control board to indicate the degree of rotation of the motors. these allow better control of the opening angle, speed of the opening and closing and sensing of obstacles in the gate's path.

If you're going to run wiring and conduit for your gate, then you might as well pull 7 wires instead of 3 as the cost of the extra wires is not going to cost you all that much more.

Cabling cost varies as it depends your gates configuration.
1. distance from gate to electrical source
2. wring running in surface conduit or embed in underground or in walls?
3. Amount of hacking required
4. refinishing of surfaces, e.g. repainting, re-tilling, concrete etc?
5. the type of gate you're planning to install. e.g. Types of gates

This post has been edited by weitatt: Jul 9 2009, 08:25 AM
driftmeister
post Jul 9 2009, 08:42 AM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,133 posts

QUOTE(weitatt @ Jul 9 2009, 12:31 AM)
7 wire cable is for more sophisticated gate motors with counter circuitry.  i.e. apart from power supplied to energize the motor there would also be signals coming back to the control board to indicate the degree of rotation of the motors.  these allow better control of the opening angle, speed of the opening and closing and sensing of obstacles in the gate's path. 

If you're going to run wiring and conduit for your gate, then you might as well pull 7 wires instead of 3 as the cost of the extra wires is not going to cost you all that much more.

Cabling cost varies as it depends your gates configuration.
1. distance from gate to electrical source
2. wring running in surface conduit or embed in underground or in walls?
3. Amount of hacking required
4. refinishing of surfaces, e.g. repainting, re-tilling, concrete etc?
5. the type of gate you're planning to install. e.g. Types of gates
thx for ur feedback
seems like the contractor is not fooling an outsider like me thumbup.gif

however, he quoted me for rm1500 for installation alone, the cost includes:
35ft cabling, hacking the current cement ground, embed it in the ground,
resurface with cement again and install arm gate system

not including re-tiling (will be getting new tiles later on)
weitatt
post Jul 9 2009, 11:15 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(driftmeister @ Jul 9 2009, 08:42 AM)
thx for ur feedback
seems like the contractor is not fooling an outsider like me  thumbup.gif

If it is RM1500 excluding the gate system that is really expensive!

What brand autogate are you getting? You should nego to get the Autogate & Installation together, you'll be able to get a much better price. contact http://autogatemalaysia.blogspot.com/ and tell them that you've been referred online to get a better quote.

This post has been edited by weitatt: Jul 9 2009, 11:30 AM
driftmeister
post Jul 9 2009, 01:12 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,133 posts

QUOTE(weitatt @ Jul 9 2009, 11:15 AM)
If it is RM1500 excluding the gate system that is really expensive!

What brand autogate are you getting? You should nego to get the Autogate & Installation together, you'll be able to get a much better price.  contact  http://autogatemalaysia.blogspot.com/ and tell them that you've been referred online to get a better quote.
Yes, RM1500 without the system (arm, motor, gate)
What's the standard price btw?

Need to nego nego with him because we'll let him do take the whole project and get better bargaining power
n73me
post Jul 9 2009, 01:23 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(driftmeister @ Jul 9 2009, 08:42 AM)
thx for ur feedback
seems like the contractor is not fooling an outsider like me  thumbup.gif

if i am not mistaken, my wireman charge me about 1.2-1.3K for the concealed armour cable for auto gate, not sure how many wires that this cable got.
expensive ?
harrychoo
post Jul 9 2009, 01:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,589 posts

Those price u guys mentioned, does it include the gate itself?
Else how much they cost for the gate alone?
n73me
post Jul 9 2009, 01:53 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(harrychoo @ Jul 9 2009, 01:44 PM)
Those price u guys mentioned, does it include the gate itself?
Else how much they cost for the gate alone?
nope, the gate depends on what type and size of the gate.
harrychoo
post Jul 9 2009, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,589 posts

QUOTE(n73me @ Jul 9 2009, 01:53 PM)
nope, the gate depends on what type and size of the gate.
roughly how much let say for 20x70 house and norml quality gate?
weitatt
post Jul 9 2009, 02:26 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(n73me @ Jul 9 2009, 01:23 PM)
if i am not mistaken, my wireman charge me about 1.2-1.3K for the concealed armour cable for auto gate, not sure how many wires that this cable got.
expensive ?
You'll need the following wires for a typical swing arm installation:-

1. 3-core 240V AC from power source to gate control box.

2. 2-core low voltage signal wire from control box to inside house for gate push-button switch (this is optional, if installing this switch is going to involve hacking and ugly conduits all over the place, then just use the remote)

3. 3-7 core low voltage wire from control box to left motor.

4. 3-7 core low voltage wire from control box to right motor (could be under driveway from post to post). Wiring Diagram

5. Optional : 2-core low voltage wire from control box to solenoid lock. (routed within the gate)

The material cost should not cost more that RM200 -RM300 (wires, conduit, joints, switches, cement etc), all in I would say for a medium size gate if the work can be completed in a day it should not cost more that RM500-RM700. If this work was undertaken by an Autogate installer they'll just factor it in as part of the installation and quote an incremental lump sum

This post has been edited by weitatt: Jul 9 2009, 02:34 PM
n73me
post Jul 9 2009, 02:48 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(weitatt @ Jul 9 2009, 02:26 PM)
You'll need the following wires for a typical swing arm installation:-

1. 3-core 240V AC from power source to gate control box.

2. 2-core low voltage signal wire from control box to inside house for gate push-button switch (this is optional, if installing this switch is going to involve hacking and ugly conduits all over the place, then just use the remote)

3. 3-7 core low voltage wire from control box to left motor.

4. 3-7 core low voltage wire from control box to right motor (could be under driveway from post to post). Wiring Diagram

5. Optional : 2-core low voltage wire from control box to solenoid lock. (routed within the gate)

The material cost should not cost more that RM200 -RM300 (wires, conduit, joints, switches, cement etc), all in I would say for a medium size gate if the work can be completed in a day it should not cost more that RM500-RM700.  If this work was undertaken by an Autogate installer they'll just factor it in as part of the installation and quote an incremental lump sum
thanks for the info.
i am still a bit blur, is the above considered as using normal cable or amour cable ? my wireman told me there is 2 ways of doing the wiring for the front porch, one is to use amour cable, while the other is using many cable, basically a cable for light , a cable for door bell, one for gate, etc.. , can explain more about this ?
weitatt
post Jul 9 2009, 04:23 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(n73me @ Jul 9 2009, 02:48 PM)
thanks for the info.
i am still a bit blur, is the above considered as using normal cable or amour cable ? my wireman told me there is 2 ways of doing the wiring for the front porch, one is to use amour cable, while the other is using many cable, basically a cable for light , a cable for door bell, one for gate, etc.. , can explain more about this ?
Armoured cable is expensive and overkill for you simple application. coloured code electrication cable routed through the appropriate conduit is sufficient as the power/amp requirements to power your gate and lights is not all that demanding. For electrical work get multiple quotations as electricians can really charge alot if you don't know what you want. PM me if you would like me to refer you to my trusted electrician. He's certified, fair and does a proper job.
driftmeister
post Jul 9 2009, 09:27 PM

Penggadai Rakyat®
4,133 posts

weitatt
many thanks for ur information

really appreciate it!!
asiatrader98
post Jul 22 2009, 04:07 PM

Regular
1,451 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Dec 4 2008, 10:11 AM)
hmm ... my auto gate is giving me some problem.  any idea who should call for repair?
my autogate came with purchasing of the 2nd hand house, the owner told me the guy who installed for him no longer with this business,
so, is it likely to ask others to repair it if the autogate got problem? rclxub.gif
VeeJay
post Jul 22 2009, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

QUOTE(aaronpang @ Oct 10 2007, 03:08 PM)
Either you install a small door next to your gate or cut the existing gate and put one in... most metal/grill shops do the cutting and fitting.

Cost mine was cheap RM100 but that was done as part of larger renovation work...
My contractor told me if no power not to force the autogate open because I could damage it... not sure if its true but I'm not tempting fate  unsure.gif
Normally a key is given in the event of power failure.

I fixed mine for RM1200 including installation (armor cable). The motor was german based but all assembled and rest of the part built in Msia. That was back in 2004. Still going strong not a problem.

Added on July 22, 2009, 4:20 pm
QUOTE(asiatrader98 @ Jul 22 2009, 04:07 PM)
my autogate came with purchasing of the 2nd hand house, the owner told me the guy who installed for him no longer with this business,
so, is it likely to ask others to repair it if the autogate got problem? rclxub.gif
If a quality motor is used, you hardly would face problem with the system. With Swing gate, most encountered problem is the gate alignment due to wear and tear from the movement or children bang the door.

This post has been edited by VeeJay: Jul 22 2009, 04:31 PM
weitatt
post Jul 22 2009, 08:36 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(asiatrader98 @ Jul 22 2009, 04:07 PM)
You should be able to get other installers to repair your gate provided they have good contacts with autogate suppliers and manufactuers, Spareparts are generally easily available for most major brands of autogate systems. You should check out Autogate Malaysia for details of your gate, spare parts and call to get a quotation.
asiatrader98
post Jul 23 2009, 12:47 PM

Regular
1,451 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jul 22 2009, 04:15 PM)
Normally a key is given in the event of power failure.

I fixed mine for RM1200 including installation (armor cable). The motor was german based but all assembled and rest of the part built in Msia. That was back in 2004. Still going strong not a problem.

Added on July 22, 2009, 4:20 pm

If a quality motor is used, you hardly would face problem with the system. With Swing gate, most encountered problem is the gate alignment due to wear and tear from the movement or children bang the door.
QUOTE(weitatt @ Jul 22 2009, 08:36 PM)
You should be able to get other installers to repair your gate provided they have good contacts with autogate suppliers and manufactuers, Spareparts are generally easily available for most major brands of autogate systems.  You should  check out Autogate Malaysia for details of your gate, spare parts and call to get a quotation.
thank you Veejay & weitatt......... rclxms.gif
weitatt
post Aug 5 2009, 01:21 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(marchkingdom @ Oct 22 2007, 04:20 PM)
wow, great to know ppl are discussing this.

I found 2 websites about autogate in M'sia, reasonable price.

My contractor adviced me to use "MAG" quoted me RM1700* w 1 year waranty. But I asked for a straight quote from MAG is only Rm1600*. He said he's using this brand for 3 years w no prob.
http://www.magnet.com.my/products/Autogate...uct/AG_main.htm

Then I found out another one from the newspaper, seems popular, said to be reputable Taiwan Brand. This one with installation is about RM2K +. Hav not get quotation. This model quite interesting coze comes with Alarm.

http://www.jackpro.com.my/

Anyone, using any of the 2 brand above? Or any frens/relatives, got any feedback? product repu good not?
* excluding wiring

Added on October 23, 2007, 9:25 am

alrite, Jackpro quoted me Rm1700 w installation (no wiring work). This one comes w Alarm sensor + Hitachi backup batt. Quite atractive.... but never heard of this brand from frens wor. Anybody out there can share?
There are quite a number of options in the market. Jackpro is a local brand, so is MAG.
They are both quite common brands and have good and bad reviews from the users, mainly it depends on the batch of the product as the components (e.g. motor) varies from batch to batch. If you have the budget you can consider using imported brands like Stagnoli, Telcoma or FAAC, main difference is price (RM2000+) and the quality of the components especially the motors and the gears.

Buying an Autogate is not a easy choice, ideally you want to get a realiable system that will last at least 7+ years. Do your research! You can find details of most of the local system on the following site => Autogate Price, Brochures & Specifications

This post has been edited by weitatt: Aug 5 2009, 01:22 PM
superhero_123
post Aug 7 2009, 10:32 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

Hi,

Since there is so many discussion on autogate, I decided to chirp in and get some opinion. Please give some opinion is this can work.

I am planning to do renovation for my house and got some quote for autogate wiring (only wiring as I will do all the resealing of the cable myself as renovation people can help me do that). However, those quote I think is a bit too much as wiring does not even cost more than RM100. So, I am planning to do some DIY wiring which is something like this.

I plan to pull an armour wire (7/5 core) from my indoor living room switches to the control box outside which is around 25 feets. In my living room switches, there is 1 switch which connects to my outside gate light which I plan to use and reconnect for my autogate as it is already connected to the MCB with power. With this I can already connect the power to the autogate and use the current switch for push button switch. Outside my home, I can pull another 2 armour cables from the control box to the left and right swing arm which is maybe 5 feets and 15 feets respectively. I can also pull a colour code cable from the control box to the outside gate light to light it whenever the autogate is operating.

Possible? Hope can technical people can give some comment as I feel this can be done easily rather than pay a few hundreds for something which is simple. Thanks.
kimyee73
post Aug 7 2009, 11:11 AM

Regular
1,007 posts

Of course laying cables is nothing fancy and anybody can do it. The dirty part is to cut the wall, dig the trench and patch everything up as new again. If you can get someone else to do that part for you for free, DIY is a way to go. My electrician charged me rm350 for installing 7 core armour cable from key pad to control box, 5 core from left post to right post. and 2 close-only switches on outside and inside the gate. The autogate supplier quoted me rm500.

234 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0182sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:56 PM