Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Percentage of salary increment for job hopping, increment standard in 2022?

views

ScorpiusBtz P
post May 17 2022, 08:12 PM

Probation
10 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ May 17 2022, 06:31 PM)
Icic, but with such high increment, I have a major concern. My current company policy is like this: HR will tie & fit their salary level with job title/position. Meaning when salary increment meet until certain level & the person must promoted to higher job position which lead to wider job scope (all lumpsum tasks given? I really hated paperworks)
I wonder majority of companies behave like tat? CAn normal staff (non-manager level) able to gain salary of 10k above?
There are factors of why the increments given are high, some of it are:
- High turn over rate, they need to maintain head count hence they would want to have a steady influx of people joining them filling the vacancy.
- High commitment for the work as you mentioned, usually it will cause high turn-over rate.
- Indeed, you are underpaid, so always check the market rate for the job you are applying for. I used multiple sources i searched online to get the idea.
- You are going vertical in the job grade ladder like a promotion, typically like from one job grade to another. In software company nowadays, Managers aren't necessarily higher level than like Staff/Principal Software Engineer or even as Software Architect. It is simply a different career path (one managerial, another as high rank Individual Contributor)
- Your previous company salary PIR (Pay in range) for the same job grade (like Senior Software Engineer, or SE III) are much lower than the other company's PIR. It largely depends on how strong financially the company is doing generally.
- Start-ups =/ I do notice start-ups offers really high salary jump to acquire talent, so in my opinion there are few things to check because it can be risky. One example the start up got large funding but yet to be profitable, and doing mass hiring. This means the cash-burn is really high. If operational cost outweigh the profit for a long time then you can anticipate company closure/retrench/etc.... It happened to a few of my friends before. On the bright side when you notice this is likely to happen, you have greater advantage to negotiate higher salary in a more stable company for a job hop.

Those are what I have in mind, of course there are more factors out there that you can do some research on smile.gif
TSCuteSniper22
post May 17 2022, 08:15 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(teslaman @ May 17 2022, 07:50 PM)
20% - 50% increase is ok and normal. RM8k is not much these day.
Mind to share your increment roughly?
teslaman
post May 17 2022, 08:52 PM

Regular
1,111 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ May 17 2022, 08:15 PM)
Mind to share your increment roughly?
I had more than +100% gross, when start / jump work to foreign employer when was about 26 YO.
ungka
post May 17 2022, 08:58 PM

Casual
494 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ May 17 2022, 02:25 AM)
Hi I'm software developer and currently salary <=8k. I had been working for 2 companies for my 12 years working life. Should I change my job since the economy in year of 2022 not so good right now? Btw, may i know will salary increment 20% too much for job hopping?
Kindly appreciate your experiences & comments. TQTQ~
good to know that i'm not alone.
TSCuteSniper22
post May 17 2022, 11:51 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(ScorpiusBtz @ May 17 2022, 08:12 PM)
There are factors of why the increments given are high, some of it are:
- High turn over rate, they need to maintain head count hence they would want to have a steady influx of people joining them filling the vacancy.
- High commitment for the work as you mentioned, usually it will cause high turn-over rate.
- Indeed, you are underpaid, so always check the market rate for the job you are applying for. I used multiple sources i searched online to get the idea.
- You are going vertical in the job grade ladder like a promotion, typically like from one job grade to another. In software company nowadays, Managers aren't necessarily higher level than like Staff/Principal Software Engineer or even as Software Architect. It is simply a different career path (one managerial, another as high rank Individual Contributor)
- Your previous company salary PIR (Pay in range) for the same job grade (like Senior Software Engineer, or SE III) are much lower than the other company's PIR. It largely depends on how strong financially the company is doing generally.
- Start-ups =/ I do notice start-ups offers really high salary jump to acquire talent, so in my opinion there are few things to check because it can be risky. One example the start up got large funding but yet to be profitable, and doing mass hiring. This means the cash-burn is really high. If operational cost outweigh the profit for a long time then you can anticipate company closure/retrench/etc.... It happened to a few of my friends before. On the bright side when you notice this is likely to happen, you have greater advantage to negotiate higher salary in a more stable company for a job hop.

Those are what I have in mind, of course there are more factors out there that you can do some research on smile.gif
BIG like to u. thanks for your comments.
TSCuteSniper22
post May 17 2022, 11:53 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(ungka @ May 17 2022, 08:58 PM)
good to know that i'm not alone.
haha... I think I'm too loyal to my current company. Why's your problem?
SUSJulie Ting
post May 18 2022, 08:11 AM

Getting Started
149 posts

Assuming your employer has capacity to counter offer up to 30% of current salary, you should aim for at least 50%
mazai5100
post May 18 2022, 11:56 AM

39 posts

Deleted in request ID fd43ec7d-aaef-4e0d-a705-ec2c6b273b69

This post has been edited by mazai5100: Jun 29 2023, 11:19 PM
ZZMsia
post May 18 2022, 12:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,303 posts

QUOTE(hustlerism @ May 17 2022, 02:51 AM)
20% is quite low tbh for job hopping.

You should be asking at least 30%.
agreed.30 as a minimum..
You are mid 30s with only 8k
ungka
post May 18 2022, 01:47 PM

Casual
494 posts

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ May 17 2022, 11:53 PM)
haha... I think I'm too loyal to my current company. Why's your problem?
mine i think i'm enjoying the comfort zone. lol at myself
ZZMsia
post May 18 2022, 03:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,303 posts

QUOTE(BLKH3 @ May 17 2022, 07:29 PM)
No wonder you all are k/tards
First, getting high increment when you job hop is NOTHING to celebrate because it simply means that you were underpaid the whole time and therefore leaving money on the table. You are merely getting your market's worth.
2) Those of you who propose 20-30% hike when job hopping is, while can happen OCCASIONALLY, is unrealistic. Majority of the job hoppers in Malaysia get a few percent.
3) Those people who loudly and unashamedly reveal their pay in the internet are already high to begin with which they will use as an opportunity to humble brag. This creates sample bias.
Those people who loudly and unashamedly reveal their pay in the internet are already high to begin with which they will use as an opportunity to humble brag. This creates sample bias.

- On this statement, I have never revealed my pay here but what I can say for certain is that many from MNC and GLC backgrounds go for min 20-30% hike. Especially when salary is below 30%. I have helped many friends, many of whom never used Lowyat forum before to secure 30% hike and not a measly 5% or 3% hike.

Those of you who propose 20-30% hike when job hopping is, while can happen OCCASIONALLY, is unrealistic. Majority of the job hoppers in Malaysia get a few percent.

- On this statement, maybe its true. But it is not OCCASSIONAL but very probable. This is from my experience in O&G and others in MNC environment.

Unless you are living in some small town with limited opportunities, then it is a different story.

Agree with you on 2 things:
1. Sample bias on Lowyat forum
2. getting high increment when you job hop is NOTHING to celebrate because it simply means that you were underpaid the whole time - Applicable most of the time.

This post has been edited by ZZMsia: May 18 2022, 03:18 PM
dattebayo
post May 18 2022, 04:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,331 posts

I too has been working for 11-12 years

salary growth

2019 - 62xx
2020 - 90xx (internal promotion)
2021 - 10xxx (job hop 1)
2022 - 11xxx (job hop 2, was asking just to match the previous pay due to not serving 1 full year in previous company, only to found out that the latest company actually can offer much more)

anyhow i can say i am no where a senior now, despite getting the manager lvl pay in other industries

This post has been edited by dattebayo: May 18 2022, 04:32 PM
mazai5100
post May 18 2022, 04:29 PM

39 posts

Deleted in request ID fd43ec7d-aaef-4e0d-a705-ec2c6b273b69

This post has been edited by mazai5100: Jun 29 2023, 11:19 PM
dattebayo
post May 18 2022, 04:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,331 posts

QUOTE(mazai5100 @ May 18 2022, 04:29 PM)
I think you are missing the point that we are sharing samples from IT sector as OP themself is a software developer. In IT increments more than 20% during job change is very very common.
i would say yes and no

not everyone in IT can get 20k or even 15k per se

need to delve down the source of revenue of the company, does it offering services in USD/Euro market vs in local market? What industry is the company in? is it O&G, financial services, regulatory, media, or ecommerce?

all these factors determine the upper range they can offer for each position accordingly

my personal experience:

company that pays 9k - assuming the role of team lead / AM, carrying the expectations of a manager KPI in front of boss
company that pays 11k - merely a middle lvl engineer, much lesser responsibilities on shoulder

its the cold harsh fact that many MNCs somewhat disrupt the local IT SMEs pay range, smaller local companies has no choice but to turn into more vendors for their IT outsourcing
maelzx
post May 18 2022, 04:56 PM

isha.my
860 posts

For me, 12 years as software developer work with salary < 8k is on the lower half.

Should you change job now? YES. Actually you should change back then during MCO 2020. But now is great time too.

Salary increment 20% is normal. I'd go for 30% and negotiate from there. But sometime percentage is just a number, if you're happy with the offer, you should take it.

QUOTE(CuteSniper22 @ May 17 2022, 02:25 AM)
Hi I'm software developer and currently salary <=8k. I had been working for 2 companies for my 12 years working life. Should I change my job since the economy in year of 2022 not so good right now? Btw, may i know will salary increment 20% too much for job hopping?
Kindly appreciate your experiences & comments. TQTQ~
TSCuteSniper22
post May 18 2022, 06:06 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(ungka @ May 18 2022, 01:47 PM)
Me too. I'm only focus on development only, quite easy for me. NOT involved in those lumpsum jobs such as full cycle of SDLC or any other non-related paperworks.
TSCuteSniper22
post May 18 2022, 06:11 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(mazai5100 @ May 18 2022, 11:56 AM)
If you are an experienced person and you can demonstrate it in your interviews (esp with critical IT skillsets and management experience) please ask at least 50% increment, usually the company will try to nego lower than that.

But here are my salary changes when starting work in 2017 until now. (I work as a software developer - backend focus)

2017 - RM2800 (fresh grad, Melaka)
2018 - RM3500 (KL, changed company)
2020 - RM6200 (KL, changed company + promoted to Senior in my final year, last drawn salary in 2021 RM9500)
2022 - RM12,000 (KL, changed company)

In a nutshell, IT is a big market but lack quality talents, so if you are in a focus/niche area, it is very easy to make money.  nod.gif
I'm quite interested on your job scope since your salary so high. Involved in Full SDLC cycle? Tough & Stress?

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: May 18 2022, 06:18 PM
TSCuteSniper22
post May 18 2022, 06:15 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(ungka @ May 18 2022, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE(ZZMsia @ May 18 2022, 03:03 PM)
Those people who loudly and unashamedly reveal their pay in the internet are already high to begin with which they will use as an opportunity to humble brag. This creates sample bias.

- On this statement, I have never revealed my pay here but what I can say for certain is that many from MNC and GLC backgrounds go for min 20-30% hike. Especially when salary is below 30%. I have helped many friends, many of whom never used Lowyat forum before to secure 30% hike and not a measly 5% or 3% hike.

Those of you who propose 20-30% hike when job hopping is, while can happen OCCASIONALLY, is unrealistic. Majority of the job hoppers in Malaysia get a few percent.

- On this statement, maybe its true. But it is not OCCASSIONAL but very probable. This is from my experience in O&G and others in MNC environment.

Unless you are living in some small town with limited opportunities, then it is a different story.

Agree with you on 2 things:
1. Sample bias on Lowyat forum
2. getting high increment when you job hop is NOTHING to celebrate because it simply means that you were underpaid the whole time - Applicable most of the time.
QUOTE(mazai5100 @ May 18 2022, 04:29 PM)
I think you are missing the point that we are sharing samples from IT sector as OP themself is a software developer. In IT increments more than 20% during job change is very very common.
QUOTE(dattebayo @ May 18 2022, 04:38 PM)
i would say yes and no

not everyone in IT can get 20k or even 15k per se

need to delve down the source of revenue of the company, does it offering services in USD/Euro market vs in local market? What industry is the company in? is it O&G, financial services, regulatory, media, or ecommerce?

all these factors determine the upper range they can offer for each position accordingly

my personal experience:

company that pays 9k - assuming the role of team lead / AM, carrying the expectations of a manager KPI in front of boss
company that pays 11k - merely a middle lvl engineer, much lesser responsibilities on shoulder
its the cold harsh fact that many MNCs somewhat disrupt the local IT SMEs pay range, smaller local companies has no choice but to turn into more vendors for their IT outsourcing
hmm... seem like quite complicated. Many factors impact the salary increment. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by CuteSniper22: May 18 2022, 06:15 PM
Redshelf411
post May 19 2022, 02:40 AM

Enthusiast
800 posts

I had a 63.63% salary increment after jumping ships wacko.gif
Mavik
post May 19 2022, 08:30 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(Redshelf411 @ May 19 2022, 02:40 AM)
I had a 63.63% salary increment after jumping ships  wacko.gif
Sounds like you joined one of the FAANG companies

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.11    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:51 AM