Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cheapest way to acquire Stablecoin/Crypto

views

TSLon3Rang3r00
post Apr 22 2022, 09:42 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(Hoshiyuu @ Apr 22 2022, 05:17 PM)
Just a coincidence, I'm currently doing Anchor Protocol + Mirror delta neutral short+long farming strategy with my play money of my portfolio, so I had some homework done.

I have a few methods, pick your poison ya. I'm not a fan of Binance so I found my own routes below.

1. Kadoramp directly to Terra wallet. (One-way)
2USD flat fee, up to 500USD transaction limit initially (0.4% cost), simple KYC that can be done in 5min. This is easily the cheapest and least loss way to get UST if you have a Wise card to pay in USD on best rates.

Total fee: 2USD flat + ~0.5% Wise forex charges

2. Luno (two-way)
Buy LTC (LTC has the smallest different between market prices and Luno prices), send to KuCoin, trade LTC for USDT, trade USDT for UST, withdraw to TerraWallet. LTC send cost is negligible from Luno, and KuCoin trading cost is low, UST withdrawal fee is 2UST.

Total fee: 2UST flat, ~0.25% LTC purchase fee on Luno (maker fee), ~0.5USD LTC send fees, 0.1% x2 Kucoin trading fee

3. Atom (two-way, advanced)
Buy LTC -> trade for USDT on Kucoin -> trade USDT for Atom -> withdraw to Keplr wallet -> Interblockchain send from COSMOS (ATOM) to OSMOSIS, on Osmosis app, swap Atom for UST or Luna if you'd like, withdraw to Terra Wallet. It's possible to use the same seed phrase of TerraWallet on Keplr wallet so you save one sending process.
Total fee: 0.25% LTC purchase fee, 0 fee once your money reach Osmosis. 0.1% x2 on KuCoin, ~0.5USD Atom withdrawal fee on KuCoin

Option 1 is the best if you just want to deposit.
Option 2 is the easiest withdrawal path.
Option 3 has no minimum fee so it's more small deposit friendly but takes some knowledge to setup.

Keep in mind if you purchase crypto via non-LUNO exchanges, you better keep those transaction records if LHDN find you in the future for your crypto gains.
Thanks so much for the share! I guess i'll stick with Luno, since i already have both Luno and KuCoin KYC done. but now $$ stuck in CIMB SG... lol~ their OTP Token got issue..
hustlerism
post Apr 22 2022, 10:30 PM

Devil In Disguise
1,591 posts

Need some advice on buying FTM.

Do I buy USDT from any CEX (Binance, Kucoin, Huobi) with the cheapest rate then transfer it to Binance and swap to FTM, then withdraw into wallet?

Any other cheaper way?
Davidtcf
post Apr 23 2022, 07:12 AM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

Making me think whether to proceed or not sweat.gif :

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/cryptocurre...anchors-20-apy/

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Apr 23 2022, 07:12 AM
ljken
post Apr 23 2022, 10:35 AM

Enthusiast
921 posts

QUOTE(Davidtcf @ Apr 23 2022, 07:12 AM)

For context, Motley told people to pass on Bitcoin in 2012 and buy certain penny stocks. I read it and regretfully agreed with their “opinion” because I was young and immature. And the kicker? Years later they turn-tailed and promoted the heck out of it.

Anyone who uses Anchor knows the risks and there are ways to safeguard against it. Do your research and don’t just rely on this article to come to a conclusion.
Hoshiyuu
post Apr 23 2022, 11:32 AM

wow i unlocked this
1,201 posts

QUOTE(Davidtcf @ Apr 23 2022, 07:12 AM)

FYI The free articles Motley Fools put out are pure sensationalized clickbait to draw people to their site and entice them with their premium subscriptions. While I'll refrain from commenting on their premium subscriptions, their free stuff is generally agreed to be hot garbage. I wouldn't take them too seriously.

Plus, all four of the listed "concerns" are pretty much horoscope tier generic description. Let me give you an example.

Subject: Investing in SP500 index funds

1. The USD could lose its international dominance (closest analogue I can think of for The UST stablecoin could lose its peg) therefore your entire investment could be in jeopardy due to all-US stocks.
2. This is not sustainable (SP500 decade long rally and sky high P/E ratio is not sustainable).
3. Increased regulations - both on individual companies in the index (e.g. META) as well as the stock trading in general.
4. Lack of consumer protection - I mean, investing in SP500 isn't FDIC insured. Their loss is your loss.

bruce.gif Bam, I just written a Motley Fool article overview titled "Here's why I am passing on investing in SP500".

---

On a more serious note, Anchor, and Terra itself does have plenty of valid points of concerns. But those are not question without answers nor this is the first time they are asked:

1. The UST stablecoin could lose its peg
Algorithmic stablecoins are well known to get death spiralled out of existence - a black swan event where LUNA and UST crash together and investors mass pull out of the market causing a de-peg before arbitrageurs tips the balance back. This is why LFG is securing a large amount of BTC (They hold around 44k BTC now? AFAIK and it's more than what Tesla holds) so that (Grossly simplifying) BTC can be an alternative ramp to maintain the peg when LUNA's in a death spiral.

2. Everyone knows this. Literally anyone who have staked anything or farmed anything knows their ecosystem is 500% not sustainable - Anchor is no different. Instead of lowering the interest rate down to unattractive %, LFG (against the spirit of DeFi) is pumping in large amount of yield reserves to maintain this APY to sustain the explosive growth of UST adoption/TVL. In near future, a more sustainable rate will be introduced and it will slowly go down to 15% and even further on 6-7% like all mature systems. The 20% APY is the reward to people taking the risk in a relatively speaking extremely young system.
Now, whether people will leave en masse the moment APY drops to 15% is beyond me. and there is various murmurs of setting a floor limit of 15%/17.5% - until we get there, everything is just speculation.

3. It's DeFi. Good luck regulating it outside of ramps. SEC isn't happy with Mirror Protocol either and the best they can do is subpoena Do Kwon, they can't exactly shut down Mirror Protocol. To the best of my knowledge, that stuff is now on IPFS and changes can just be a governance poll + adding new contract by protocol participants.

4. ...so is investing in stocks. DYOR, if something is too good to be true, it is. Know your trade off and risks.

To me, I try not to overcomplicate things for myself, I earn my 20% APY now + whatever I get for CDP'ing my aUST, if the yield reserve drops dangerously low, I'll leave.
Everything I put into Anchor now, I am prepared to lose it all to begin with tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Hoshiyuu: Apr 23 2022, 12:30 PM
ljken
post Apr 23 2022, 12:02 PM

Enthusiast
921 posts

QUOTE(Hoshiyuu @ Apr 23 2022, 11:32 AM)
FYI The free articles Motley Fools put out are pure sensationalized clickbait to draw people to their side and entice them with their premium subscriptions. While I'll refrain from commenting on their premium subscriptions, their free stuff is generally agreed to be hot garbage. I wouldn't take them too seriously.

Plus, all four of the listed "concerns" are pretty much horoscope their generic description. Let me give you an example.

Subject: Investing in SP500 index funds

1. The USD could lose its international dominance (closest analogue I can think of for The UST stablecoin could lose its peg) therefore your entire investment could be in jeopardy due to all-US stocks.
2. This is not sustainable (SP500 decade long rally and sky high P/E ratio is not sustainable).
3. Increased regulations - both on individual companies in the index (e.g. META) as well as the stock trading in general.
4. Lack of consumer protection - I mean, investing in SP500 isn't FDIC insured. Their loss is your loss.

bruce.gif Bam, I just written a Motley Fool article overview titled "Here's why I am passing on investing in SP500".

---

On a more serious note, Anchor, and Terra itself does have plenty of valid points of concerns. But those are not question without answers nor this is the first time they are asked:

1. The UST stablecoin could lose its peg
Algorithmic stablecoins are well known to get death spiralled out of existence - a black swan even where LUNA and UST crash together and investor mass pull out of the market causing a de-peg before arbitrageurs tips the balance back. This is why LFG is securing a large amount of BTC (They hold around 44k BTC now? AFAIK and it's more than what Tesla holds) so that (Grossly simplifying) BTC can be an alternative ramp to maintain the peg when LUNA's in a death spiral.

2. Everyone knows this. Literally anyone who have staked anything or farmed anything knows their ecosystem is 500% not sustainable - Anchor is no different. Instead of lowering the interest rate down to unattractive %, LFG (against the spirit of DeFi) is pumping in large amount of yield reserves to maintain this APY to sustain the explosive growth of UST adoption/TVL. In near future, a more sustainable rate will be introduced and it will slowly go down to 15% and even further on 6-7% like all mature systems. The 20% APY is the reward to people taking the risk in a relatively speaking extremely young system.
Now, whether people will leave en masse the moment APY drops to 15% is beyond me. and there is various murmurs of setting a floor limit of 15%/17.5% - until we get there, everything is just speculation.

3. It's DeFi. Good luck regulating it outside of ramps. SEC isn't happy with Mirror Protocol either and the best they can do is subpoena Do Kwon, they can't exactly shut down Mirror Protocol. To the best of my knowledge, that stuff is now on IPFS and changes can just be a governance poll + adding new contract by anyone.

4. ...so is investing in stocks. DYOR, if something is too good to be true, it is. Know your trade off and risks.
To me, I try not to overcomplicate things for myself, I earn my 20% APY now + whatever I get for CDP'ing my aUST, if the yield reserve drops dangerously low, I'll leave.
Everything I put into Anchor now, I am prepared to lose it all to begin with  tongue.gif
Give you 10 thumbs up
Davidtcf
post Apr 23 2022, 03:39 PM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

Got one more article published recently which goes deeper about the risks:
https://www.coindesk.com/layer2/2022/04/22/...rts-nightmares/

Thanks for the replies. I'm just sharing too in case it is helpful for others. This is the worst case scenario which we hope won't happen.

Update: decided to try out Finblox (HK based) with 15% interest on stablecoins. It's fairly new but backed by several famous companies and has insurance. Anyone wants referral code can pm me.

Articles on it below:
https://medium.com/coinmonks/finblox-vs-nex...ms-1bdae51cb172
https://finblox.com/
https://www.techinasia.com/sequoia-backs-39...aison%20Capital.

USDC is very stable due to being pegged to USD and other US treasuries. Also goes through monthly audit since its setup.

At first wanted to try Youhodler (EU based with insurance) but their stupid KYC turned me off. They couldn't identify our malaysian IC and insists on passport only. Youhodler is more solid if one prefer this instead, but interest slightly lower at 12-12.5%

Edit: decided to just go for Anchor. Kucoin charges a hefty 15usd via ER20 network to transfer to Finblox. (Tried to workaround this but gave up). If only I have access to Binance maybe I could test the above to see if it is worthwhile. Provided network fee wasn't this crazy expensive I would have stick to Finblox zzz.

Update: found a cheaper method using Crypto.com Exchange to Finblox. Will try next time for USDC interest account.

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Apr 25 2022, 10:39 AM
Davidtcf
post Apr 26 2022, 02:10 AM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

Withdrew from Anchor and transfered to Finblox for USDC interest earning at 15% apy. Could not pass my day well the more I understand about Luna, UST and AP ecosystem. Strongly feel USDC is a better choice.

Did it using Crypto.com exchange/wallet to send it over to Finblox via Polygon network (0.8usd fee). All went smoothly. In the future might top up somemore. Can withdraw from Finblox anytime without charge.

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Apr 26 2022, 02:13 AM
runningdash
post Apr 27 2022, 05:07 PM

37 posts

Hi, I have a question. Would it be wise to apply for personal loan since interest personal loan 5% and staking at anchor return 19%.

Please advise.
derravile
post Apr 27 2022, 05:36 PM

Choking on my aspirations
1,924 posts

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 27 2022, 05:07 PM)
Hi, I have a question. Would it be wise to apply for personal loan since interest personal loan 5% and staking at anchor return 19%.

Please advise.
not financial advise

but i will depend on what kind of situation i am in

if i am going to invest in crypto anyways, then 1) if i do not have much debt, i would go for it or 2) if i have too much commitment & debts in hand, then no

if i am not going to invest in crypto, then NO, it would be abit hassle to convert back out especially if sooner Luno were to implement their new regulation

edit:
i do take a lower interest loan to put in anchor, by utilizing celsius 1% loan, i collaterize my btc, in a way, i dont need to liquidate my btc position just to get more UST

This post has been edited by derravile: Apr 27 2022, 05:42 PM
TSLon3Rang3r00
post Apr 27 2022, 09:50 PM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 27 2022, 05:07 PM)

Please advise.
hmm.gif That's a good question. Have you thought about an exit plan? Where if something happened and you lost those crypto you bought using your loan? And have you already done the math? I know 19% P.A. is greater than 5% P.A., but loan usually required you to pay back on a monthly basis and if you plan on using the Interest to pay off the loan, you have to think twice as every transaction from UST --> MYR does have many cost associate with it. It might not worth it.

If you already thought over all the things i mentioned above and decide to go for it. All the best! and let's hope we all huat huat.

Davidtcf
post Apr 27 2022, 11:16 PM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

Reply from Finblox support on how they generate 15% apy for stablecoins via in app chat:

"Hi David,

Our investment strategies are working with key institutional investors and lenders. We also have satellite investments that seek safe protocols with reputable financial institutions, defi or traditional, which gives us a diverse portfolio to help us provide a better yield over our competitors.

Is there any other question I may help you with today?"

This is why I like Finblox too. Their support is always top notch. Pm me if you want a referral code to get some freebies.

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Apr 27 2022, 11:17 PM
runningdash
post Apr 28 2022, 03:47 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(Lon3Rang3r00 @ Apr 27 2022, 09:50 PM)
hmm.gif  That's a good question. Have you thought about an exit plan? Where if something happened and you lost those crypto you bought using your loan? And have you already done the math? I know 19% P.A. is greater than 5% P.A., but loan usually required you to pay back on a monthly basis and if you plan on using the Interest to pay off the loan, you have to think twice as every transaction  does have many cost associate with it. It might not worth it.

If you already thought over all the things i mentioned above and decide to go for it. All the best! and let's hope we all huat huat.
What is the cost from UST --> MYR?
Haven't staked yet so unsure of cost.
TSLon3Rang3r00
post Apr 28 2022, 08:43 AM

Enthusiast
900 posts

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 28 2022, 03:47 AM)
The cost is similar to MYR to UST which consist of
1) Platform Fee
2) Forex Fee
3) Transfer Fee
4) Withdrawal Fee

E.g. If you're using Luno
There's a 0.25% platform fee for every crypto transaction (if you use instant buy/sell then it's 2%). After you acquire Crypto, you will then transfer to Binance/KuCoin/Any Crypto Exchange = Transfer Fee or "Gas Price". Then at Binance/KuCoin/Crypto Exchange = your crypto will need to exchange/swap to UST = "Exchange/Swap Fee", then from there to TerraStation another Transfer Fee/Gas Price, then only you reach Anchor Protocol.

When you plan to withdraw, you've to go through the steps above in reverse confusing at first but once you go through it once then you roughly will know what is the estimate fee you're going to pay. And that's the reason why i started this thread, asking for the cheapest way to acquire StableCoin/Crypto. icon_idea.gif

Other than fees, time also another factor that's why I'm using Luno as example. If you're using other Crypto Exchange that is not regulated in Malaysia, the bank might raised a red flag whenever N amount of money (Usually in ten thousands) deposit to your account.

I saw many already did buying Crypto from Luno using their EPF 10k --> Binance/KuGoin --> immediately exchange UST for staking.

Davidtcf
post Apr 28 2022, 10:16 AM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

QUOTE(Lon3Rang3r00 @ Apr 28 2022, 08:43 AM)
The cost is similar to MYR to UST which consist of
1) Platform Fee
2) Forex Fee
3) Transfer Fee
4) Withdrawal Fee

E.g. If you're using Luno
There's a 0.25% platform fee for every crypto transaction (if you use instant buy/sell then it's 2%). After you acquire Crypto, you will then transfer to Binance/KuCoin/Any Crypto Exchange = Transfer Fee or "Gas Price". Then at Binance/KuCoin/Crypto Exchange = your crypto will need to exchange/swap to UST = "Exchange/Swap Fee", then from there to TerraStation another Transfer Fee/Gas Price, then only you reach Anchor Protocol.

When you plan to withdraw, you've to go through the steps above in reverse confusing at first but once you go through it once then you roughly will know what is the estimate fee you're going to pay. And that's the reason why i started this thread, asking for the cheapest way to acquire StableCoin/Crypto.  icon_idea.gif

Other than fees, time also another factor that's why I'm using Luno as example. If you're using other Crypto Exchange that is not regulated in Malaysia, the bank might raised a red flag whenever N amount of money (Usually in ten thousands) deposit to your account.

I saw many already did buying Crypto from Luno using their EPF 10k --> Binance/KuGoin --> immediately exchange UST for staking.
All the fees alone aren't cheap since we can't directly buy USD stablecoins from Malaysia FPX.
Buying LTC via Luno, then swapping into another crypto is where it will take up most fees. Then some transfer fees could take up around 1-2 USD.
If you transfer USD 1050, expect it to shrink to around 1040+ once it enters into Anchor or other interest earning apps.
Will only be worthwhile if you plan to invest in them long term (at least a few months, best 1 year or more) without withdrawing.

Example if same amount, 1040, after 1 year in Anchor you will get back 202+ in interest (provided if APY stays at 19.5%).

Please take note of the risks in investing using such tools (can read up on the web). Recommend not to exceed 10% of your portfolio for any crypto.

This post has been edited by Davidtcf: Apr 28 2022, 10:17 AM
derravile
post Apr 28 2022, 04:22 PM

Choking on my aspirations
1,924 posts

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 28 2022, 03:47 AM)
if u still have access to binance/kucoin/huobi, can do p2p, fees is UST>USDT (usually UST is slightly higher the USDT, p2p sell MYR)

its a hassle to do tht for month repayment, so like bro loneranger mention, if u dont have MYR liquidity, not a very good choice tho
runningdash
post Apr 29 2022, 01:59 AM

37 posts

Thanks for replying.
So I have been doing some research on p2p.
As of today 1 usd to myr is 4.36(Google).

Checking on binance p2p, 1 usdt rate 4.42
Kucoin p2p 4.44
Huobi 4.418

Huobi has the best rate.
How is the fee for huobi?
Any idea?

But USD is all time high now. Is now a good time to buy usdt for staking or wait USD rate go down a bit first?

Davidtcf
post Apr 29 2022, 10:26 AM

To the moon!!
3,440 posts

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 29 2022, 01:59 AM)
Thanks for replying.

Kucoin p2p 4.44
Huobi 4.418

Huobi has the best rate.
Any idea?

But USD is all time high now. Is now a good time to buy usdt for staking or wait USD rate go down a bit first?
if you wait, you let your cash sit around not earning anything. Better put it in to earn interest.
Even if Ringgit strengthen, do you think it will go up a lot? say hit RM3+ ? For me that's unlikely to happen. The most a 0.10-0.30 improvement which is not a big number.

If you put in Anchor with 20% APY, if you put in 1k USD, in 1 year already earn USD 195 with the 19.5% APY.

For currency exchange, below are the maths:
RM4400 / current rate of 4.35 = USD1011+
RM4400 / assume if rate improve to 4.2 = USD 1047+

That interest you've earned would already exceed the above difference in 1 year's time.

ljken
post Apr 29 2022, 10:34 AM

Enthusiast
921 posts

QUOTE(Davidtcf @ Apr 29 2022, 10:26 AM)
if you wait, you let your cash sit around not earning anything. Better put it in to earn interest.
Even if Ringgit strengthen, do you think it will go up a lot? say hit RM3+ ? For me that's unlikely to happen. The most a 0.10-0.30 improvement which is not a big number.

If you put in Anchor with 20% APY, if you put in 1k USD, in 1 year already earn USD 195 with the 19.5% APY.

That interest you've earned would already exceed the above difference in 1 year's time.
Anchor return not only 19.5%. aUST value can increase vs UST over time. Hypothetical with adoption as key.

gchowyh
post Apr 29 2022, 10:55 AM

Enthusiast
859 posts

QUOTE(Davidtcf @ Apr 29 2022, 10:26 AM)

QUOTE(runningdash @ Apr 29 2022, 01:59 AM)
Thanks for replying.

Kucoin p2p 4.44
Huobi 4.418

Huobi has the best rate.
Any idea?

I have been comparing Binance and Huobi for some weeks, most of the time Huobi is cheaper but sometimes Binance is.
So far I never see any fees in huobi P2P except for withdrawing to a different exchange / platform which is typically 80 cents or $1.

Agree with Davidtcf as based on economy news, USD might be high against RM for most of this year until interest rates in US & geopolitical situation stabilises so it depends also when you intend to take the money out.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0225sec    0.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:54 PM