> Falken Azenis FK510 UHP, Made in Japan

views

TSJason
post Sep 11 2019, 11:38 PM, updated 4w ago

Look at all my stars!!
5,294 posts

user posted image

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

Falken Japan's flagship UHP launched in 2016, Stamford Tyres brought it in last year in 2018. Not that many places selling it. I bought 2 fronts earlier this year, and just Saturday 7th September 2019 got 2 rears. Price is ~40% cheaper than Pilot Sport 4.

My quick review, original tyres were Pirelli P7 runflats, after changing the fronts, the steering is very light -- runflats are heavier. Responsive and sharp. Tracks well. Steering response is better than P7, but not the best I've experienced. So far dry and wet performance is better than P7, but have yet to push it because my rears were P7. Now that all fours are FK510, this weekend will be going on the North South Highway, will see how it goes.

NVH better than runflats.

Previous tyres I've used or still in use:
Goodyear NCT5 (hahaha omg throw it away please)
Michelin Pilot Preceda 2
Goodyear Revspec RS02 (shit in the wet)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 D5 (shit quality for me, 2 out of 4 tyres kaput)
Kumho Ecsta KU31
Bridgestone RE003 (dry very good, I feel its better than PS3, wet lose to F1 D5 & PS3, no confident in the wet)
Kumho Ecsta PS31 (car parked more than driven...don't know, first impression noisy)

TL;DR Got money just buy the PS4 or PS4S. this is the poor man's PS4
budang
post Sep 12 2019, 08:51 AM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Sep 11 2019, 11:38 PM)
user posted image

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/Azenis-FK510.htm

Falken Japan's flagship UHP launched in 2016, Stamford Tyres brought it in last year in 2018. Not that many places selling it. I bought 2 fronts earlier this year, and just Saturday 7th September 2019 got 2 rears. Price is ~40% cheaper than Pilot Sport 4.

My quick review, original tyres were Pirelli P7 runflats, after changing the fronts, the steering is very light -- runflats are heavier. Responsive and sharp. Tracks well. Steering response is better than P7, but not the best I've experienced. So far dry and wet performance is better than P7, but have yet to push it because my rears were P7. Now that all fours are FK510, this weekend will be going on the North South Highway, will see how it goes.

NVH better than runflats.

Previous tyres I've used or still in use:
Goodyear NCT5 (hahaha omg throw it away please)
Michelin Pilot Preceda 2
Goodyear Revspec RS02 (shit in the wet)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 D5 (shit quality for me, 2 out of 4 tyres kaput)
Kumho Ecsta KU31
Bridgestone RE003 (dry very good, I feel its better than PS3, wet lose to F1 D5 & PS3, no confident in the wet)
Kumho Ecsta PS31 (car parked more than driven...don't know, first impression noisy)
TL;DR Got money just buy the PS4 or PS4S. this is the poor man's PS4
What's your size and how much you got them & where? I'm planning to ditch my run flats and heard a lot of good reviews about this tyre. Worth considering.

But not sure if beneficial for my driving style or not. 90% stucked in traffic and light footer.
TSJason
post Sep 12 2019, 10:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,294 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Sep 12 2019, 08:51 AM)
What's your size and how much you got them & where? I'm planning to ditch my run flats and heard a lot of good reviews about this tyre. Worth considering.

But not sure if beneficial for my driving style or not. 90% stucked in traffic and light footer.
225/45 R18 @ RM420 for 2 units with balancing and install at Ching Tyre in Setapak.

255/40 R18 @ RM670 for 2 units with balancing and install at Bridgestone Apex Tyre in Sunway.

For my driving style, wet performance is most important. I also drive a lot of city traffic, about 80%. Occasionally road frees up I’ll have some fun. Which is why I decided against PS4 as averagely it costs about 40% more.

If you’re really pure city and no fun driving, you can get the Hankook v12 evo2. For my size it’s cheaper than the FK510.

Further observations: I think the sidewalls are quite stiff. Of course the run flats are even more so, but for normal tyres this is definitely stiff. NVH it beats runflats but against normal tyres I wouldn’t call it comfort.

This post has been edited by Jason: Sep 12 2019, 10:34 AM
budang
post Sep 12 2019, 10:49 AM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Sep 12 2019, 10:32 AM)
225/45 R18 @ RM420 for 2 units with balancing and install at Ching Tyre in Setapak.

255/40 R18 @ RM670 for 2 units with balancing and install at Bridgestone Apex Tyre in Sunway.

For my driving style, wet performance is most important. I also drive a lot of city traffic, about 80%. Occasionally road frees up I’ll have some fun. Which is why I decided against PS4 as averagely it costs about 40% more.

If you’re really pure city and no fun driving, you can get the Hankook v12 evo2. For my size it’s cheaper than the FK510.

Further observations: I think the sidewalls are quite stiff. Of course the run flats are even more so, but for normal tyres this is definitely stiff. NVH it beats runflats but against normal tyres I wouldn’t call it comfort.
Just curious, why is wet performance important for you other than the risk of aquaplaning?

Yeah I was eyeing for the Hankook v12e2 too but most of the tyre shops don't carry 225/50R17 size unfortunately, still in the midst of googling around.

I'm more into comfort oriented tyres since I have a baby arriving and she'll be seated in the backseat but since you mentioned the FK510 is not strong in NVH I think it's something to consider upon during my tyre shopping.

Thanks for the input bro.
wkc5657
post Sep 12 2019, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Sep 12 2019, 10:49 AM)
Yeah I was eyeing for the Hankook v12e2 too but most of the tyre shops don't carry 225/50R17 size unfortunately, still in the midst of googling around.

No need to google so much. If you manage to already found a shop that sells the v12evo2 at a reasonable price, just not the size you wanted, head there and ask for the size you want. 225/50/17 is available based on hankook malaysia's website.

At worse, will just put an order and you wait a little while for it to arrive.
Ultra+ P
post Sep 12 2019, 11:04 AM

Probation
29 posts

Just curious, why is wet performance important for you other than the risk of aquaplaning?

I'm more into comfort oriented tyres since I have a baby arriving and she'll be seated in the backseat but since you mentioned the FK510 is not strong in NVH I think it's something to consider upon during my tyre shopping.

Let me know which brand you bought for 225/50R17 ya. i'm going to change all 4 in the next 2 months biggrin.gif
budang
post Sep 12 2019, 12:57 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Sep 12 2019, 11:03 AM)
No need to google so much. If you manage to already found a shop that sells the v12evo2 at a reasonable price, just not the size you wanted, head there and ask for the size you want. 225/50/17 is available based on hankook malaysia's website.

At worse, will just put an order and you wait a little while for it to arrive.
Found Teoh Brothers at Meru to have ready stock for RM340 per shoe all in. Thanks anyway.

QUOTE(Ultra+ @ Sep 12 2019, 11:04 AM)
Let me know which brand you bought for 225/50R17 ya. i'm going to change all 4 in the next 2 months  biggrin.gif
Most likely going for the Hankook V12E2 : )

budang
post Sep 12 2019, 01:10 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(Ultra+ @ Sep 12 2019, 11:04 AM)
Let me know which brand you bought for 225/50R17 ya. i'm going to change all 4 in the next 2 months  biggrin.gif
Can check out Hankook Ventus S1Noble2 too if you're looking for comfort oriented tyre. If performance oriented can go for FK510, heard a lot of good reviews around.
Ultra+ P
post Sep 12 2019, 02:14 PM

Probation
29 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Sep 12 2019, 01:10 PM)
Can check out Hankook Ventus S1Noble2 too if you're looking for comfort oriented tyre. If performance oriented can go for FK510, heard a lot of good reviews around.
Looking for performance with some comfort. I think primacy 4 is the overall best but my personal opinion that it is over-priced. Looking for 2nd best or 3rd best that are cheaper... hahaha..
SpiderMon68
post Sep 12 2019, 02:30 PM

15 posts

Unfortunately they dont have 265/40/18 rears for my car, sad. I have to upgrade rims to 19, which I dont want to do. Otherwise I'd choose the FK510 dy
TSJason
post Sep 12 2019, 02:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,294 posts

Aquaplaning, emergency manoeuvres. I drive at the same legal speed, regardless rain or shine, so the tyres must be up to par. And I take corners at quite high speeds (relative to aunties), so if I want to maintain almost the same speed during dry, then the tyres got to be up to the mark in the wet. Because I lazy to brake, I prefer driving smoothly. For the exact same make and model, other owners change brake pads twice as fast as I do.

To be fair, let me observe the FK510. I did not check the tyre pressure yet since installing it on Saturday. Sending it for alignment and road force balancing today or tomorrow.

That being said, you just get the Hankook and save some money icon_idea.gif

incredibless
post Sep 13 2019, 01:43 AM

Getting Started
196 posts

What is the thread ware of these fk510? Currently im using PS4 which is so far good ince the day it was fitted. Almost 3years already. Now planning to go for cheaper alternative as my driving is mostly slow to medium. Only a short time highspeed. So feel ps4 abit wasted with the high cost they are selling. Im looking for 225 45 R18
TSJason
post Sep 13 2019, 01:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,294 posts

QUOTE(incredibless @ Sep 13 2019, 01:43 AM)
What is the thread ware of these fk510? Currently im using PS4 which is so far good ince the day it was fitted. Almost 3years already. Now planning to go for cheaper alternative as my driving is mostly slow to medium. Only a short time highspeed. So feel ps4 abit wasted with the high cost they are selling. Im looking for 225 45 R18
300 AAA
How many kms have you put on those PS4?
incredibless
post Sep 13 2019, 01:51 AM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Sep 13 2019, 01:44 AM)
300 AAA
How many kms have you put on those PS4?
Wow quick reply. The PS4 on the clock is about 55k++with front & rear rotation once since if i can recal last fitted at 40k mileage. Thread still has about 20%-30%. Surprisingly it still grips well on wet.
TSJason
post Sep 13 2019, 11:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,294 posts

QUOTE(incredibless @ Sep 13 2019, 01:51 AM)
Wow quick reply. The PS4 on the clock is about 55k++with front & rear rotation once since if i can recal last fitted at 40k mileage. Thread still has about 20%-30%. Surprisingly it still grips well on wet.
Wow the use not too bad. I hope the FK510 can last that long then super value for money.
budang
post Sep 13 2019, 11:20 AM

Casual
323 posts

Wow clocked 55k+ and still have 20-30% left? mega_shok.gif Very gentle driving?

Just curious what's your ride?
wkc5657
post Sep 13 2019, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

Save your cash for now, you can keep your ps4 down to the thread wear indicator line. Despite being a tyre manufacturer, michelin is a strong advocate against changing tyres prematurely (albeit they standby this claim on their own tyres, not other brands). Your claim that it still grips rather well in wet despite quite worn down stands proof of their formula and engineering of their compounds.

http://www.burnpavement.com/article.php?id=1850
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/c...killing-planet/

On the other hand, i feel like the lower price point of the fk510 can change in the foreseeable future. The lower price point is likely falken's way of penetrating the market and create some buzz among the car community. Some months ago, i observe the pricing of the fk510 in singapore is going up. Either could be due to too high demand, or really, the "promotion" period is going to end. But i could be wrong.

Another alternative econo-performance tyre would be the hankook v12evo2. I'm using it now. Compared to the ps4, you would likely observe some improvement towards rolling refinement, but lose out a bit when comes to performance at limit. But still, the performance is still way better than the factory fitted toyo t1s.
6UE5T
post Sep 13 2019, 02:08 PM

Casual
463 posts

As of now both FK510 and V12E2 are the best value for money. The cheapest you can go and still get good performance is the V12E2 but the price difference for FK510 should also be justifiable since FK510 is also a bit better than V12E2. So should not go wrong in buying either of those.
incredibless
post Sep 13 2019, 04:52 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Sep 13 2019, 11:20 AM)
Wow clocked 55k+ and still have 20-30% left?  mega_shok.gif Very gentle driving?

Just curious what's your ride?
Yes. Mazda 3. approx 20-30% left...still has the longkang. So far driving under the rain within legal speed still grips well even i corner slightly faster. Driving wise is more on weekend highway, weekdays is city driving. At times can be really fast when rushing.

incredibless
post Sep 13 2019, 04:56 PM

Getting Started
196 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Sep 13 2019, 11:25 AM)
Save your cash for now, you can keep your ps4 down to the thread wear indicator line. Despite being a tyre manufacturer, michelin is a strong advocate against changing tyres prematurely (albeit they standby this claim on their own tyres, not other brands). Your claim that it still grips rather well in wet despite quite worn down stands proof of their formula and engineering of their compounds.

http://www.burnpavement.com/article.php?id=1850
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/05/c...killing-planet/

On the other hand, i feel like the lower price point of the fk510 can change in the foreseeable future. The lower price point is likely falken's way of penetrating the market and create some buzz among the car community. Some months ago, i observe the pricing of the fk510 in singapore is going up. Either could be due to too high demand, or really, the "promotion" period is going to end. But i could be wrong.

Another alternative econo-performance tyre would be the hankook v12evo2. I'm using it now. Compared to the ps4, you would likely observe some improvement towards rolling refinement, but lose out a bit when comes to performance at limit. But still, the performance is still way better than the factory fitted toyo t1s.
Hi there. Yes this is what i plan to use it see how well can the PS4 last. 55k+ with one-time swap & rotation surprisingly it was really promising. What impresses me is the wet grip still never fails even i corner hard vs the stock Toyo T1s when even half worn already trigger the traction control.

Just stumble upon that the FK510 seems to be not bad when compare with PS4 [ i watched the review from Taiwan where they put both of this brands to the test]

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0381sec    1.94    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 08:31 PM