Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My Hamster Just Gave Birth! What Do I Do?, No idea what to do? Read here.

views

TSReanne
post Jun 24 2007, 07:51 PM, updated 8y ago

Elite is only a tag. So don't PM me to delete ur post.
Group Icon
Group: Elite

This thread is dedicated to the countless clueless people that open threads just to ask about (read topic) and waste time by waaaitinnnng for other experienced people to reply. While waiting, anything could go wrong.

The Ultimate Rule

Now, the ultimate first and foremost thing you should do is DO NOT TOUCH THE BABIES!

Why? Because the mother might eat them, that's why.

Now 'Why would the mother eat them?' you ask?

-When hamster babies are born, known as pups, they have no scent and the mother recognizes it as her own because of her instincts. If you touch it, they will smell like something else and she will not recognize it as her offspring, but rather as something that's not supposed to be there, or she might mistake it as another female's pup. Being defensive that it may harm her babies, she will attack it and eat it up, brains, limbs organs and all.

If you are using a cage and a pup drops out, don't panic. Use the tissue from the cage or get a piece of tissue, rub it on the bedding, and pick the pup up and put in in the cage. You don't have to open the nest. The mother will hear the squeaks and come, or she will notice it later when she walk around.

Cannibalism is not uncommon for hamsters as it is a form of protection. Though you may have followed the first rule, it doesn't mean all the pups will 100% survive.

If the environment is stressful (Lots of noise, in a busy area, too bright etc), the nutritional requirements are not enough, or even if the mom is just not a good mom, you may lose from one to all your pups.

The First Rule

- Give her as much food as she wants and supplements.

Oh, does that mean give her what she likes? Can I give her only kuaci?

No. Kuaci aka sunflower seeds are not good if she takes a lot. It's empty fats and not enough for her to raise a healthy bunch of babies. Giving only kuaci is like you living on peanuts. BUT, this doesn't mean you shouldn't feed her kuaci at all. Give her small amounts as sunflower seeds have Vitamin E and carbs, but very fattening.

Then what can I feed her?

First off, are you feeding her a good basic diet? No delikate or Bengy please. They not balanced at all and they're cheap because they're very low in quality, meaning very low in nutrition.

Good basic brands are :-

-Harry Hamster
-Prestige
-Sluis
-Xtra Vital
-Hoppel-Mobbel

These brands can be found in Pet Safari, Petsmore and Pet Family.

Supplements are fresh fruits, vegetables, hard boiled egg white, wheatgerm, organic grains such as amaranth, raw peanuts, buckwheat, flaxseeds etc. Mealworms and crickets are great high protein treats to give to a nursing mom.

But if you find crickets or mealies too icky, you can try giving some dog food. Wait! Don't rush to the Supermarket just yet! Be sure to use GOOD brands such as California Natural, Nutro, Orijen, Royal Canin etc. Remember! Don't use any brands that contain avocado, garlic or onions in them because these ingredients may be harmful to them. No citrus fruits like pineapple and oranges too, it may upset their tummies very badly.

The list of safe food to be fed to hamsters is in the LYN Hamster Thread here.

The Second Rule

- Please resist wanting to look and poke at them and don't change the bedding even if it stinks bad.

This will cause the mother to stress and the risk of losing the pups are higher. Wait at least for a week to 10 days after they are born. Use something long and blunt, like the end part of a pencil, rub it in the bedding, then gently pry the bedding to have a look.

'But it smells really bad, is there anyway I can change the bedding?'

- It's not very recommended, but if flooding occurs from a leaking bottle or the bedding is so disgusting until it turns yellow or something, then you can try this method.

1. Take the mother out and put her in a temporary container.

2. Use a spoon and scoop the babies from underneath along with lots of the nest bedding. Put in a separate container.

3. Wash the tray or tank, then put the new bedding.

4. Dig a spot at the corner at where the nest was, put the babies there with the old bedding. Scoop them, don't touch them.

5. Return the mother to the cage/tank.

Once they are a few days old, they'll start to wander around and nibble everything. They will open their eyes at 10 days old and you can start to touch them a little. But please do not overdo it as they are only babies. Do not attempt to grab them either as they will panic and you might drop them. Scoop them up with both your hands, cup them inside and go to a wide soft surface like your bed. Let them roam around your bed and you can stroke them a little bit. Do be careful! Because they are not used to you holding them and will not sit still. They'll look like little peanuts and at this age and wobble when they walk which is very cute. biggrin.gif

Play sessions should not take more than a few minutes per pup.

Around 12 to 14 days they will start to nibble on solid food, giving them some fresh fruits, veggies or a piece of dog kibble is good for them as they can eat a little on their own.

When do I separate them from their mom?

Now, once they reach 21 days of age, it's okay to separate them already. Once you've separated them, you should sex them and put all the males in one tank and all the females in another tank.

But if your female seems to be struggling with nursing them and becoming skinny, you can separate them at 18 days, but feed them a little puppy and/or kitten replacement milk you can find in supermarkets or petstores. Soaking some wholewheat bread into the milk make it easier and cleaner to feed the pups. Discard uneaten portion after 24 hours or before that if it starts to smell sour.

Sexing guide

user posted imageuser posted image
-Illustrations from Hamsterific.com

But since dwarf hamsters seem harder to sex, here are some actual pictures to help. smile.gif

user posted imageuser posted image
-Pictures from Hamsterhideout.com

Taming and handling the pups.

When starting to handle them, it's important to :-
- Have a place that is soft and wide, a bed top or sofa is ideal.
- Do not try to grab them or lift them with one hand, use two hands to scoop them at all times!
- Be sure to wash your hands before handling them or they may think your hand smells interesting and may nibble a bit too hard.

When scooping your ham, let it smell your hand and then slowly attempt to scoop it. When scooped and cupped in your palms, over the soft surface, let the young hamster run on your palm and rotate with your other palm so it's like a never ending stairs. It will be very active as it's scared and needs to calm down. Keep doing it until it slows down and set it on the bed. Cup your hands and try to stroke it very lightly, it will probably try to run away but let it. Only put your hand in front to stop it when it's about to fall or when it's getting into danger. Try not to move too fast, always be slow and patient. Repeat procedure everyday or every other day. Do not play with each pup for more than 10 minutes initially. You can increase the time once it gets more used to you.

Some tips to help make taming the pups faster and easier but only after 16 days of age.

- ,You can put your hand into the cage to let the pups sniff you. Move very slowly if you want to move your hand or just lie it flat on the bedding. Do it for about 3 to 5 minutes each time.
- Stick some tissue into the hem of your pants and leave it there the whole day. At the end of the day, put the tissue into the tank. This will make them used to your smell faster.

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jun 25 2007, 10:37 PM)
Another note:

There are no gay and lesbian hamsters.....

People think that placing males together will make them gays while placing females together makes them lesbians. Putting again, human emotions is really silly.

Another mistake, people think that hamsters are so smart that they know how to tell the difference between sibling and parent. This is wrong coz just like any other animal, they breed with instinct. They do not care if they breed with their siblings or their parent, as long they are able to breed to repopulate.... then they will go right ahead.
TO BE CONTINUED<

This post has been edited by Reanne: Jan 5 2009, 07:38 PM
nate_nightroad
post Jun 24 2007, 07:57 PM

Endless numbered days...
Group: Senior Member

nice tread man......
verry informative....
hope to see the 2nd part soon
rickrick
post Jun 24 2007, 08:31 PM

Perth please be good to my business !!

ya go pet shop and buy RM1 cricket and feed it" it realli works"
i breed from 2 to 11"
then one midnight the safari thing got loose and it came off, and all my hamster went running for their lifes" i was 12 then"
tats my story"
Anyone else wanna share their experiences?
TSReanne
post Jun 25 2007, 01:32 AM

Group Icon

Not meant to share experience here la. Do that in the hamster thread please. This thread is for the ppl that are sesat when their ham got squirmy pink things.

I'm still not done yet with the explanation and will boil it down to 'Why breed in the first place.'

There's nothing to be proud of starting with 2 hamsters and ending up with 50. You should be ashamed. Hamsters have only 2 years to live, dwarf only live for 1+ year and robos being the longest, 3 to 4 years.

When you breed them, you take away a big chunk of their lives. Breeding is a burden to them.

'Oh my hamster is so lonely', 'I want a hubby for it', 'I scared it lonely', 'I want them to have fun'.

- Please la, these are stupid excuses because hamsters can live and prefer to live alone. To h*ll with pet shops and whatever rubbish they tell you that buying a pair is better. They just want to make money off you, because the longer they keep the hamster, the more they have to spend on space, food and bedding. And in the end, the maintenance would cost more than the hamster itself. That's why they tell you it's better to get a pair.

Apparently that mindset has frozen over in ppl's heads as ppl put human feelings into animals. Come on! They don't enjoy doing it! They just follow instincts to make sure their genes are passed down! If there is no opposite sex around, they would not care about mating!

If you want a pair, get a pair of sisters or brothers. If the petstore has lousy expertise on sexing, go online and look at the images and sex yourself. Don't depend on other ppl and then blame it on them when they make a mistake because the damage is done when one day you see something pink and squirmy.

We're quite sick and tired of repeating this, please read for your own benefit. We just want to help people realize the value of having a hamster as a pet, not as a multiplying tool.

This post has been edited by Reanne: Jun 25 2007, 01:47 AM
crazymouse_yyh
post Jun 25 2007, 10:37 PM

www.suggiesathome .wordpress.com
Group Icon
Pets Wonderland

Another note:

People think that placing males together will make them gays while placing females together makes them lesbians. Putting again, human emotions is really silly.

Another mistake, people think that hamsters are so smart that they know how to tell the difference between sibling and parent. This is wrong coz just like any other animal, they breed with instinct. They do not care if they breed with their siblings or their parent, as long they are able to breed to repopulate.... then they will go right ahead.
TSReanne
post Jul 2 2007, 09:24 PM

Group Icon

bump for the guy with the robo

Shizuru
post Jul 4 2007, 11:55 AM

Hi,

Hope I'm asking this at the right thread.
How long is the breast feeding period?
Also like to know how long do I have to wait before I can separate the pups from their mother?
I want to put male and female in separate cages when they grown up smile.gif

babymiki
post Jul 4 2007, 11:58 AM

❤ ZR

feed crickets? lol how are they gonna catch n eat it? are they able to? or we have to kill it first?
krynzpeaches
post Jul 4 2007, 12:31 PM

* k * a * P * i * s * h * ? *

As mentioned, this thread is for information for those who DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN THEIR HAMMIES GAVE BIRTH.

Any other discussion can be done in the hammy thread, thank you.

Reanne & Crazymouse notworthy.gif

Animals don't have human instinct. But some humans does have animal instinct!

biggrin.gif
KP
pinkcotton
post Jul 5 2007, 10:16 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

too bad i did not encounter this thread years back when i was rearing a lot of hamsters

i had this female hamster...she gave birth twice but ate up her babies twice!!! cry.gif

and i din even touch the babies or move the babies...

after the first time,i thought she ate up the babies bcos we kept on looking at the babies thru the cage...so the 2nd time round i covered the whoel cage with a piece of cloth and after few days...no more babies left!!!

any ideas on why this happened? sad.gif
crazymouse_yyh
post Jul 5 2007, 09:01 PM

Group Icon
Pets Wonderland

QUOTE(Shizuru @ Jul 4 2007, 11:55 AM)
Hi,

Hope I'm asking this at the right thread.
How long is the breast feeding period?
Also like to know how long do I have to wait before I can separate the pups from their mother?
I want to put male and female in separate cages when they grown up smile.gif
Well, this thread is good for question and answers about breeding.

The pups will be fully weaned at around 20 to 25 days.... but only separate the pups from the mom at 1 month old. You can start to handle the pups when they are about 20 days old but only for short periods and only when the female is friendly towards you. If the female is an aggressive type, better not touch the pups till you separate them.

A good move, to separate the males from the females. thumbup.gif

QUOTE(pinkcotton @ Jul 5 2007, 10:16 AM)
too bad i did not encounter this thread years back when i was rearing a lot of hamsters

i had this female hamster...she gave birth twice but ate up her babies twice!!!  cry.gif

and i din even touch the babies or move the babies...

after the first time,i thought she ate up the babies bcos we kept on looking at the babies thru the cage...so the 2nd time round i covered the whoel cage with a piece of cloth and after few days...no more babies left!!!

any ideas on why this happened? sad.gif
Was it only 1 female in a cage? Or got many inside 1 cage? There are a few reasons why the female hamster cannibalize her young.

1) Too many adult hamsters in a cage/tank. Best is single hamster with her pups.
2) Female is too weak to have pups, but since she is too weak, to gain back nutrition and strength, she eats up the pups for protein.
3) Feels stressed up.... could be from noise, light or different environment. She may stop nursing and the pups starve. When they starve, they die. It is natural for the female to get rid of dead bodies by eating them so no predators will come.
4) Hamster too young or too old.
5) Pups born at the wrong age or are too weak to live or are sick or deformed..... female cannibalize them.

As stated before, animals do not have human emotions.... they purely act upon instinct.
MICHEAL_ANGELO
post Sep 5 2007, 10:25 PM

Getting Started

This guide really helps. Compact and complete guide + easy to understand.
Hopefully the expert like crazy mouse and reanne can compile a e-book about hamster^^
TSReanne
post Sep 8 2007, 11:44 PM

Group Icon

First post updated! biggrin.gif
madmoz
post Sep 9 2007, 12:31 AM

Yes, please seperate the males from the females. I no longer rear hamsters but i bred a fair few for my friends back during the initial craze in the 90s. Some aggresive females will attack the males.
IIRC correctly I fed cheese to the nursing females as well.

Once the babies start running around the cage you can start to familairize them to humans. This way they won't bite as they grow older... do this by getting a plastic aquarium, let them play inside and put one of your hands in (i.e. read or watch tv with one of your hands in the aquarium)... flick them softly if they choose to nip!

Eeuuuu the smell of a two week old hamster cage... rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by madmoz: Sep 9 2007, 12:32 AM
TSReanne
post Oct 5 2007, 12:47 AM

Group Icon

Time to bump this trade so the early birds can see. biggrin.gif
a13solut3
post Oct 5 2007, 10:46 AM

Whiner FTW!

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ Jun 25 2007, 10:37 PM)
Another note:

That is..... funny lol.. Thanks for such information, i have been asking whole world bout that but there is no answer to it.. thumbup.gif
NeaRDeatH
post Oct 25 2007, 02:21 AM

Getting Started

thx for the info
naomi1130
post Nov 22 2007, 12:37 AM

Group: Newbie

i have a newborn hamster and the mom refuses to take care of it. how do i take care of it? thx.
HuonHengChai
post Nov 22 2007, 12:53 AM

Goblin Techie

Suggest to pin topic
TSReanne
post Nov 22 2007, 05:08 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE(naomi1130 @ Nov 22 2007, 12:37 AM)
i have a newborn hamster and the mom refuses to take care of it. how do i take care of it? thx.
How old is the hamster? How old is the mum? How long has it been since you saw her refuse to care for the baby?

1. If it's less than 4 days old, then it's very hard to care for it because it needs milk round the clock every 2 to 3 hours and syringe feeding it is VERY strenuous and tiring.

2. You will need to massage between the private part and the tummy with a cotton bud or brush dipped lightly in warm water to stimulate it to pee and poo.

3. You will need an incubator to keep it warm.

4. You have to feed it VERY slowly, choking them is very easy and they may die from it.

BUT! Before you jump from the computer to go and do all this, MAKE SURE that she really did abandon the pup. If she has not been nursing the baby it would be cold and wrinkly due to dehydration and lack of warmft. Also, check every hour to see if it has a white colour in the tummy area, if yes, that means it's getting milk from the mom.
TSReanne
post Jan 14 2008, 08:43 PM

Group Icon

Time to bump bump bump bump

This post has been edited by Reanne: Mar 4 2008, 10:47 PM
TSReanne
post Mar 4 2008, 10:48 PM

Group Icon

Time to bump again, do keep this thread going to help future hamster owners! smile.gif
aius026
post Mar 16 2008, 11:50 AM

Getting Started

thx for d infos

littlesaint
post Mar 18 2008, 03:13 PM

Casual

wow alot to learn here...my male hamster kinda weird....he actually helps to take care of the babies.....
TSReanne
post Apr 3 2008, 01:14 PM

Group Icon

Bumpooo......
dien
post Aug 17 2008, 04:00 PM

:: Newbie ::

time to bump
kelvin_faye
post Aug 22 2008, 02:55 AM

Suggies-N-Me

Bump! My WW gave birth to 6 pups on 18.08.08! haha
sweetsnoopy99
post Aug 22 2008, 05:10 AM

Getting Started

thx for the info
TSReanne
post Jan 4 2009, 03:57 AM

Group Icon

Happy New Year everyone! Time to bump. smile.gif
n_n
post Jan 4 2009, 11:11 AM

Casual

tho i havent starting to breed MOchie yet! free bump to this thread... I will follow it closely when the time come..

BTW, so it IS true that breeding hamster will cut down their lifespan?
TSReanne
post Jan 4 2009, 11:19 AM

Group Icon

Breeding any animal can shorten the animal's lifespan. Breed once or twice is usually ok, but continuous breeding can affect their health and lifespan.
n_n
post Jan 4 2009, 11:20 AM

Casual

i plan to breed once only... but not that fast.. she still young...

Thanks alot!
vchy
post Jan 4 2009, 12:10 PM

em,what happens when the mum is lack of milk?any suggestion?if this is already written in explaination,please do ignore me,i will read again. cool2.gif
n_n
post Jan 4 2009, 12:14 PM

Casual

yeap it is written.. buy milk solution from pet shop... however must make sure the mum is not nursing the babies anymore.. every one hour check the baby tummy.., if white then the mum still nursing....
vchy
post Jan 4 2009, 12:27 PM

QUOTE(n_n @ Jan 4 2009, 12:14 PM)
yeap it is written.. buy milk solution from pet shop... however must make sure the mum is not nursing the babies anymore.. every one hour check the baby tummy.., if white then the mum still nursing....
ooo!!yeah yeah!now i remember,haha! rclxms.gif
n_n
post Jan 4 2009, 12:35 PM

Casual

hahaha~
ariel83
post Jan 5 2009, 02:57 PM

Getting Started

eh...u guys aso hammies' owner eh?
hehe....

Wat do u do when ur hammie breed very fast...? icon_question.gif

any1 sell off their hammie to vet?
n_n
post Jan 5 2009, 03:18 PM

Casual

dont put male and female together.......

they will breed very fast wan

bettter to separate....

TSReanne
post Jan 5 2009, 07:29 PM

Group Icon

It's recommended to breed between 4 to 5 months old. If your hamster is past 6 months of age, then better not to breed.
speedhunter
post Mar 6 2009, 09:43 AM

!!!!!

let say there is only a pair of female hamster, then 1 female give birth, then i separated the pair, once the pups have grown up, can combine them back all of them?? or they will fight??
aragonlee
post Mar 11 2009, 08:56 AM

QUOTE(ariel83 @ Jan 5 2009, 03:57 PM)
eh...u guys aso hammies' owner eh?
hehe....

Wat do u do when ur hammie breed very fast...? icon_question.gif

any1 sell off their hammie to vet?
i did sold my hammie to pet shop b4 at my hometown.. the petshop owner jst seems very happy to buy from me...
bcoz my hamster all is nice breed ahhaah biggrin.gif
brokenglass
post Mar 16 2009, 09:42 PM

last time i used to have a pair of dwarf hamster...first delivery six babies...all live until i gave it my friend...no place to kept it...i even placed then in a basin...after a few month...2nd delivery all the babies survive...very easy to breed
babechris44
post Mar 18 2009, 09:46 AM

i just bought a pair of Roborovski hamster few days b4..
but i cant different their gender..
brokenglass
post Mar 22 2009, 10:19 PM

QUOTE(babechris44 @ Mar 18 2009, 09:46 AM)
i just bought a pair of Roborovski hamster few days b4..
but i cant different their gender..
the male got the telur biggrin.gif
babechris44
post Mar 25 2009, 11:16 PM

but i think they around 1 month years old only...
so the telur is came out ady?
let say both is female..then i buy 1 more male hamster will they fight?
yana_adell
post Apr 24 2009, 02:26 PM

m looking for healthy new born baby hamster..pls rcommend no bite2 one.
i already have 3 cute tortise..,
is there any one can let me know if any baby hams to b adopt?
i need a couples so they can breed later..
CutiePie69
post May 5 2009, 03:46 PM

Hi, I just recently adopted two syrian hamsters. The owner did not tell me that one of them were pregnant and then suddenly this morning I noticed a few babies and was shocked rclxub.gif as I did not expect to see any babies since both were females.

First of all this is my first time being a grandmother to baby hamsters. I need advice on how to care and look after the mother and babies. So far I have separated the two females.

There were 3 dead babies and a few more surviving which the mother is protecting.

What am I supposed to do and not do? Please help anyone! icon_question.gif
joesniper
post May 5 2009, 04:01 PM

Casual

do not touch the babies ...
CutiePie69
post May 5 2009, 04:08 PM

QUOTE(joesniper @ May 5 2009, 05:01 PM)
do not touch the babies ...
Thanks Joe,

I did not touch the babies. I just removed the other female.
This is my first time being a grandmother to baby hammies so a bit nervous sweat.gif

meento
post May 5 2009, 04:28 PM

Getting Started

Click Here
Hope it would help you out.. smile.gif
LeeBS
post May 5 2009, 04:30 PM

if possible.. use a towel or anything that can cover part of it.. so that she won't get shock that easily.. donno scare her.. if not she will eat all the babies..
i got 2 female, one already borned babies 2 weeks ago and another one just borned babies yesterday.
give more protien food for her during 2 weeks time to prevent it eat babies because babies contain high protien for what she need during this time.. can give her cheese as well.. after around 2 weeks, when babies open eyes and they can eat+drink by themselves then only can seperate them and touch them too..
very cute!

This post has been edited by LeeBS: May 5 2009, 04:31 PM
CutiePie69
post May 5 2009, 07:12 PM

QUOTE(meento @ May 5 2009, 05:28 PM)
Click Here
Hope it would help you out.. smile.gif
Hi there Meento,

Very informative thread! thumbup.gif
Really appreciate it.
Will be busy with my hamster.
So far I have put her in my bed room where it is quiet and peaceful and less stressful for her.
Will need to source for food high in protein now.
Thanks so much! nod.gif

Added on May 5, 2009, 7:14 pm
QUOTE(LeeBS @ May 5 2009, 05:30 PM)
if possible.. use a towel or anything that can cover part of it.. so that she won't get shock that easily.. donno scare her.. if not she will eat all the babies..
i got 2 female, one already borned babies 2 weeks ago and another one just borned babies yesterday.
give more protien food for her during 2 weeks time to prevent it eat babies because babies contain high protien for what she need during this time.. can give her cheese as well.. after around 2 weeks, when babies open eyes and they can eat+drink by themselves then only can seperate them and touch them too..
very cute!
Wah! Congratulations! thumbup.gif
You must be busy with your grandchilden tongue.gif
May I find out what sort of food high in protein do you feed your hamsters?
I read hard boil egg (white) can be given.
Will they eat if they are not used to it? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by CutiePie69: May 5 2009, 07:14 PM
cottonkandy
post May 5 2009, 08:03 PM

Casual

mealworms?
CutiePie69
post May 5 2009, 11:26 PM

QUOTE(cottonkandy @ May 5 2009, 09:03 PM)
mealworms?
Hey Everyone!

Thank you so much for your help and advice! wub.gif
I am on my way to becoming a grandmother to my baby hamsters.
I just gave my mother hammie @ Tammie boiled egg white and she loved it thumbup.gif
Thank you so much again. I really appreciate it especially to Meento for the informative thread. thumbup.gif
Wish me luck in bringing up my grandchildren tongue.gif
meento
post May 5 2009, 11:29 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(CutiePie69 @ May 5 2009, 07:12 PM)
Hi there Meento,
Very informative thread!  thumbup.gif
Really appreciate it. 
Will be busy with my hamster.
So far I have put her in my bed room where it is quiet and peaceful and less stressful for her.
Will need to source for food high in protein now.
Thanks so much!  nod.gif
No biggie...All the best of luck thumbup.gif
babechris44
post May 6 2009, 10:11 PM

i need sum help!!have 1 pee stick on my hamster body. i try to move it away but it's useless..can sum 1 teach me what i should do?
CutiePie69
post May 8 2009, 08:35 PM

QUOTE(meento @ May 6 2009, 12:29 AM)
No biggie...All the best of luck thumbup.gif
Hi Everyone.......

Looks like I am not being a good hammie grandmother sad.gif
Initially I had 4 baby hamsters this morning...
Came home and found that only 1 left cry.gif
I don't know what I did wrong hmm.gif
Did not touch the babies.
Fed the mother with egg white for protein.
But I did noticed that the mother hamster was acting strange.
Most of the time her eyes were closed or half closed.
Maybe too tired from feeding the babies.
Less active too.
And looked weak.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the mum?
Should I bring it to a vet?
Which vet....?
icon_question.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif icon_question.gif
kamaliah
post May 9 2009, 03:50 PM

adeh! no wonder all my hamster babies didnt survive!!!!

WARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!~

sad.gif

Added on May 9, 2009, 3:52 pmi juz found this thread... isn't that such a waste??

This post has been edited by kamaliah: May 9 2009, 03:52 PM
crazymouse_yyh
post May 9 2009, 04:35 PM

Group Icon
Pets Wonderland

The female maybe too young to breed or too old to breed... those are a few possibilities. Her babies died could be due to her being an inexperience mom or maybe the babies have gotten some bacterial infection.

It was wrong for the previous owner to give you a pregnant hamster. Moving a pregnant hamster to a new home brings about stress that can cause such things to happen too.

She could be weak coz immune system is down.... or there could be an infection inside of her. Best bet is to bring to a vet.

Anyway, threads merged.
yeelin04
post May 9 2009, 04:58 PM

✈ Taobao Agent ✈

last time i have 3 hamsters...may i know wat hamster's is this

1 is golden brown..but i dunno the species..its quite long the body...n it doesn't bite...

2 pairs the eyes r red in colour + a black strip at the body + it bites all the time..they breed to 12 babies..n all the babies also bite... doh.gif
CutiePie69
post May 9 2009, 06:47 PM

QUOTE(crazymouse_yyh @ May 9 2009, 05:35 PM)
The female maybe too young to breed or too old to breed... those are a few possibilities. Her babies died could be due to her being an inexperience mom or maybe the babies have gotten some bacterial infection.

It was wrong for the previous owner to give you a pregnant hamster. Moving a pregnant hamster to a new home brings about stress that can cause such things to happen too.

She could be weak coz immune system is down.... or there could be an infection inside of her. Best bet is to bring to a vet.

Anyway, threads merged.
Hi Crazymouse,

Thanks for the advice.
I am sorry to say that my mother hammie died this morning cry.gif
I was too late to bring her to the vet cry.gif
I am so sad today sad.gif
Eventhough I had her for a week I have come to have loved her very much sad.gif
Between, I would like to thank each and every one of you who has helped me by giving me advice and tips.
I appreciate it very much.
Thank you.

Rest In Peace my baby hammies. cry.gif
Rest In Peace Tammie. cry.gif

This post has been edited by CutiePie69: May 9 2009, 06:48 PM
babechris44
post May 16 2009, 12:55 PM

pls help!!!
i outstation this few days
when i back home
i found tat my female hamster
having 1 small ball shape tumour near her anus...
can anyone help me?
frgywifoneyes
post May 18 2009, 12:50 PM

ok.. i knw my hammy is pregnant.. but, today, wen i woke up.. i see bloods at the bedding of the cage.. does she possibly already gv birth??

i don wanna touch o nytig cz im afraid she might eat her child.. i cannot see bcoz the bedding is 1nch..

and, i cover the tank with towel... so, i dono whether she olready gv birth o not! bcoz i don think its tyme for her to gv birth o maybe they 'did' it behind my bak...

so.. is it possibly my hammy olredy gv birth??

Added on May 18, 2009, 12:51 pmo iz it she miscarriage???

This post has been edited by frgywifoneyes: May 18 2009, 12:51 PM
RyoKenzaki
post Oct 27 2009, 02:43 AM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★

Time for a bump
Six On The Dot
post May 30 2010, 02:12 AM

Hi! Please please help me!

icon_question.gif

Same old story! Thought I had two female hamsters, but alas, one is a boy.

I woke up this morning and heard a LOT of squeaking, so I picked up both of my hamsters and found a litter of babies underneath! I put the mom back and removed the father. However, she keeps the babies in a nest inside the little hut. I can't see them, or the mother. I'm worried about how to check on the babies.

Because I can't see them, I don't know how to check if they're all alive, all healthy, nursing, etc.

I'm worried if I take the hut away to check she will get stressed and cannibalize them. I'm trying to avoid that the best I can.

I think they are 2-4 days old. When is safe to start checking on them? When is the threat of cannibalization pretty much gone??
rclxub.gif

clementhui
post Apr 10 2011, 10:12 AM

Getting Started

my male seems to be helping the female @@
is that normal?
but i ald seperated them two.. and the male keep digging the tube.. since i had 2 "cage" linked by tubes
i feel sorry for the male >.<
RyoKenzaki
post Apr 10 2011, 01:08 PM

★★ ~*\Arachnoid/*~ ★★

No! Male will likely cannibalize them or cause distress for the mom and result in her eating the entire brood
If the cage are still connected you gotta disconnect it man
yujin86
post Aug 21 2011, 10:13 PM

Regular

may i ask the sifu here how to know a hamster is pregnant or not?
TSReanne
post Aug 25 2011, 03:31 AM

Group Icon

When the stomach starts to grow. If you've mated them, then usually will give birth 16 days later for syrian, somewhat later for dwarves in general. If you've kept them together like dwarves for example, other than the tummy it's hard to tell. Some will start building nests earlier or later, some eat more.
Memories_Fallen
post Jul 5 2012, 05:47 PM

:)

Is this bedding good for pregnant winter white hamsters?

. Aspen Beddings By Kaytee
. Healthy Pet Bedding

thanks
Genseah
post Jan 8 2013, 06:33 PM

Can someone help me quick. I actually told the shop assistant to help me choose 2 female roborovski hamsters but when I woke up on 3 Jan morning, there are pups in the cage.

On 2nd day I separated the male & female

Yesterday, dunno why the female hamster suddenly push all the bedding & pups out from the box . At first I thought she is very clever as yesterday weather was too hot. And is a good opportunity to take the soiled old box and put in a new one stuffed with new bedding. After exploring the new box, she pushed out all the new bedding n she slept alone inside leaving the pups with the a mixture of old & new bedding outside the box till now. I observe she seems to have abandon all her pups. What shall I do?
Genseah
post Jan 8 2013, 06:36 PM

The pups may be squeaking but she either stay in the box or come out for food n go bk in the box

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1880sec    1.68    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st May 2019 - 11:21 PM