Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is my Maxis 4G USB Dongle working?, How to tell if my 4G USB Dongle working?

views

TSG K Lai
post Apr 13 2019, 11:51 PM, updated 5y ago

Enthusiast
839 posts

Hi all,

Maxis' representative came this morning to help me install their Maxis 4G USB Dongle to Maxis' router because I just convert to Maxis One Prime last week.

He insert the dongle to the USB port, tell me it's done, then I sign the form.

Later I only realized the dongle always showing red led (see attached picture), it never seems to be connected to the internet at all.

I unplug LAN cable that connect within TM's modem and Maxis' router (to make it no internet access) and the USB dongle also never connect to the network by showing red led.

I also tried plug in this USB dongle directly to my PC, it installed the driver, also never seems to get any internet access.

How to tell if this USB dongle (or the SIM card) is working?

Thank you in advanced! icon_rolleyes.gif

Attached Image
calvin1688
post Apr 15 2019, 11:17 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(G K Lai @ Apr 13 2019, 11:51 PM)
Hi all,

Maxis' representative came this morning to help me install their Maxis 4G USB Dongle to Maxis' router because I just convert to Maxis One Prime last week.

He insert the dongle to the USB port, tell me it's done, then I sign the form.

Later I only realized the dongle always showing red led (see attached picture), it never seems to be connected to the internet at all.

I unplug LAN cable that connect within TM's modem and Maxis' router (to make it no internet access) and the USB dongle also never connect to the network by showing red led.

I also tried plug in this USB dongle directly to my PC, it installed the driver, also never seems to get any internet access.

How to tell if this USB dongle (or the SIM card) is working?

Thank you in advanced!  icon_rolleyes.gif
Attached Image
The usb dongle will turn blue colour if the sim card is activated.From your case it must be your sim card yet to be activated.Need to wait for 2 days for the sim card to be activated.Once you had received sms from maxis it means your sim card is activated & the usb dongle light once connected will turn blue.
Currylaksa
post Apr 15 2019, 09:29 PM

Regular
1,616 posts

Mine blue oso no connection sad.gif
TSG K Lai
post Apr 16 2019, 01:55 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(calvin1688 @ Apr 15 2019, 11:17 AM)
The usb dongle will turn blue colour if the sim card is activated.From your case it must be your sim card yet to be activated.Need to wait for 2 days for the sim card to be activated.Once you had received sms from maxis it means your sim card is activated & the usb dongle light once connected will turn blue.

Yes you are right, I received the SMS this morning and now I can see blue light.
However, still can't seems to get it to work.
I tried turn off TM's modem while keeping the USB dongle inserted to Maxis' router, I still can't get to the internet.
I also tried insert the dongle directly to PC, also not working. sad.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

QUOTE(Currylaksa @ Apr 15 2019, 09:29 PM)

There are similar discussion here at this thread: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4698938/all
Some people also have blue light yet still can't get internet.
Did you ever update the software/firmware to the USB dongle?
I'm not sure if this is the culprit that cause the USB dongle to failed?

I believe the SIM itself have no problem but the dongle.
Already tried:
(1) Insert the backup SIM to phone, it can surf without problem.
(2) Insert my phone's SIM to USB dongle, cannot get it to work either

calvin1688
post Apr 16 2019, 04:05 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(G K Lai @ Apr 16 2019, 01:55 PM)
Yes you are right, I received the SMS this morning and now I can see blue light.
However, still can't seems to get it to work.
I tried turn off TM's modem while keeping the USB dongle inserted to Maxis' router, I still can't get to the internet.
I also tried insert the dongle directly to PC, also not working.  sad.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image
There are similar discussion here at this thread: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4698938/all
Some people also have blue light yet still can't get internet.
Did you ever update the software/firmware to the USB dongle?
I'm not sure if this is the culprit that cause the USB dongle to failed?

I believe the SIM itself have no problem but the dongle.
Already tried:
(1) Insert the backup SIM to phone, it can surf without problem.
(2) Insert my phone's SIM to USB dongle, cannot get it to work either
from the photo indicate you must insert the modem into the pc.FYi although you can plug your usb dongle into your pc & the usb dongle can shown blue light but due to maxis had lock the usb dongle thus the usb dongle will only work when you plug into the maxis tp-link router.
calvin1688
post Apr 16 2019, 04:11 PM

16 posts

My usb dongle when i plug in the backup sim work & plug in my phone sim also work.I never update any firmware myself.If you updated the firmware yourself from somewhere
& not from maxis,your usb dongle could not use anymore.As such case contact maxis for solution.
TSG K Lai
post Apr 16 2019, 11:09 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(calvin1688 @ Apr 16 2019, 04:05 PM)
from the photo indicate you must insert the modem into the pc.FYi although you can plug your usb dongle into your pc & the usb dongle can shown blue light but due to maxis had lock the usb dongle thus the usb dongle will only work when you plug into the maxis tp-link router.

Yup! You are right, I plug it to PC just for testing purpose.
Because it can't seems to work on Maxis' TP-Link router so I try it on PC.

QUOTE(calvin1688 @ Apr 16 2019, 04:11 PM)
My usb dongle when i plug in the backup sim work & plug in my phone sim also work.I never update any firmware myself.If you updated the firmware yourself from somewhere
& not from maxis,your usb dongle could not use anymore.As such case contact maxis for solution.

That was last night when Maxis Fibre were down for many people, so I have to try hard for this backup SIM to work.
There was once when I plug it to PC, it seems so have connection, then it ask new software is available and if I would like to update.
I clicked [Yes] then... never get it to work again since then... bangwall.gif
The update should came from either Maxis or ZTE, I can't tell when the message simply pops-up just like that. sad.gif

This post has been edited by G K Lai: Apr 16 2019, 11:12 PM
TSG K Lai
post Apr 20 2019, 11:28 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(Currylaksa @ Apr 15 2019, 09:29 PM)

Hi friend,
I just would like to update you about the 4G USB modem issue.
Maxis sent a technician to look at my modem and the issue solved by upgrade the router firmware.
Now the 4G backup modem is working.

Potential.Buyer
post Apr 25 2019, 05:10 PM

25 posts

Just wonder, can we use the back up sim provide for that dongle to MiFi Modem for hotspot sharing?
poh880
post Apr 27 2019, 09:46 AM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(Potential.Buyer @ Apr 25 2019, 05:10 PM)
Just wonder, can we use the back up sim provide for that dongle to MiFi Modem for hotspot sharing?
Maxis will bar your backup SIM. It's in the contract.
eg_9525
post May 27 2019, 09:32 PM

Regular
1,213 posts

QUOTE(G K Lai @ Apr 16 2019, 11:09 PM)
Yup! You are right, I plug it to PC just for testing purpose.
Because it can't seems to work on Maxis' TP-Link router so I try it on PC.
That was last night when Maxis Fibre were down for many people, so I have to try hard for this backup SIM to work.
There was once when I plug it to PC, it seems so have connection, then it ask new software is available and if I would like to update.
I clicked [Yes] then... never get it to work again since then... bangwall.gif
The update should came from either Maxis or ZTE, I can't tell when the message simply pops-up just like that.  sad.gif
I also did the same thing by clicking YES and it can't run from PC/Notebook anymore... any way to unlock this? confused.gif
trix
post May 28 2019, 02:08 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

for those with dongle that has been updated and unable to connect anymore, try these steps:

1. browse to the dongle IP address using firefox
2. go to Settings -> Dial-up settings
3. right click in the page -> Inspect Element
4. search for #auto_mode, double click on disabled="" on the highlighted line, delete it, press enter
old value =
CODE
<input type="radio" name="modeGroup" id="auto_mode" value="auto_dial" data-bind="checked: selectMode, enable: false" disabled="">

new value =
CODE
<input type="radio" name="modeGroup" id="auto_mode" value="auto_dial" data-bind="checked: selectMode, enable: false" >

5. Automatic radio button is now enabled, click on it
6. search for apply, delete disabled="" as well
old value =
CODE
<input type="button" class="btn-1" data-bind="click: save, enable: false" trans="apply" disabled="" value="Apply">

new value =
CODE
<input type="button" class="btn-1" data-bind="click: save, enable: false" trans="apply" value="Apply">

7. Apply button is now enabled, click on it, you should receive success message

Now, the dongle should be usable again with maxis router archer c5v and should auto connect if fiber connection is down.
eg_9525
post May 29 2019, 03:46 PM

Regular
1,213 posts

QUOTE(trix @ May 28 2019, 02:08 PM)
for those with dongle that has been updated and unable to connect anymore, try these steps:

4. search for #auto_mode, double click on disabled="" on the highlighted line, delete it, press enter
old value =
CODE
<input type="radio" name="modeGroup" id="auto_mode" value="auto_dial" data-bind="checked: selectMode, enable: false" disabled="">

new value =
CODE
<input type="radio" name="modeGroup" id="auto_mode" value="auto_dial" data-bind="checked: selectMode, enable: false" >

old value =
CODE
<input type="button" class="btn-1" data-bind="click: save, enable: false" trans="apply" disabled="" value="Apply">

new value =
CODE
<input type="button" class="btn-1" data-bind="click: save, enable: false" trans="apply" value="Apply">

Now, the dongle should be usable again with maxis router archer c5v and should auto connect if fiber connection is down.
Guru....

After configuring this can the usb dongle works directly with PC/Notebook?

Thanks......
trix
post May 29 2019, 05:48 PM

Enthusiast
798 posts

QUOTE(eg_9525 @ May 29 2019, 03:46 PM)
Guru....

Thanks......
Nope. This is only to fix dongle stops working after firmware update
kae7
post May 30 2019, 08:06 AM

10k VIP Club
All Stars
10,950 posts

QUOTE(eg_9525 @ May 29 2019, 03:46 PM)
Guru....

Thanks......
The USB modem can't be used separately.
Remember, the sole purpose of the USB modem is to be a backup for your fibre Internet.
TSG K Lai
post May 30 2019, 11:44 PM

Enthusiast
839 posts

QUOTE(eg_9525 @ May 27 2019, 09:32 PM)
I also did the same thing by clicking YES and it can't run from PC/Notebook anymore... any way to unlock this?  confused.gif

Too bad, I don't think we can revert it back after firmware update. bangwall.gif

QUOTE(trix @ May 28 2019, 02:08 PM)

old value =
CODE

new value =
CODE

old value =
CODE

new value =
CODE

This is very cool, many thanks for the detailed info. thumbsup.gif

KalamariRings
post Jul 31 2019, 03:22 AM

43 posts

I just followed the tutorial and I managed to connect via changing the element.

However... I still get this
user posted image

Yeah still can't use the dongle directly connected to my laptop.
devilaaron
post Aug 22 2019, 05:11 PM

Casual
335 posts

Are the 4G Dongle capable for 4G+ network ?
Connexiionz
post Oct 24 2019, 01:52 AM

29 posts

Pls note that there is a mac address lock in place... The dongle will only work properly with c5v with firmware 190304 because of dhcp addressing issue... BTW 190304 is the latest version of the routers firmware.
With the mac address lock... U will not be able to use the dongle anywhere else besides ur router.

Latest news.

The sim will not work on anything other than maxis routers or dongle. You maybe the lucky few whose sim is not locked to the maxis devices...
jsnhoh
post Oct 24 2019, 02:10 AM

Enthusiast
893 posts

QUOTE(Connexiionz @ Oct 24 2019, 01:52 AM)
Pls note that there is a mac address lock in place... The dongle will only work properly with c5v with firmware 190304 because of dhcp addressing issue... BTW 190304 is the latest version of the routers firmware.
With the mac address lock... U will not be able to use the dongle anywhere else besides ur router.

Latest news.

The sim will not work on anything other than maxis routers or dongle. You maybe the lucky few whose sim is not locked to the maxis devices...
🤔🤔

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:55 PM