35 Pages « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ILLEGEAR Selenite Discussion Thread V1, world’s first 17.3” bezel-less laptop

views

Prince J
post Jan 30 2020, 08:04 PM

Regular
1,272 posts

QUOTE(alexnvidia @ Jan 30 2020, 12:26 PM)
the popping and crackling issue does not depend on the song. It just happens randomly appearing out of no where when there's audio playing, or when the audio is about to play. it can be music, can be movie, can be youtube stuff, can be gaming. it's really difficult to replicate it consistently, but it is there. have you tried testing this out on your end and can you hear the popping and crackling on your end?
I will ask my tech manager next week when he has back to work.

Can we request for your physical machine for a test?
alexnvidia
post Jan 30 2020, 08:32 PM

Casual
351 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Jan 30 2020, 01:04 PM)
I will ask my tech manager next week when he has back to work.

Can we request for your physical machine for a test?
will you replace my unit with another unit if i send it in? otherwise i will have no laptop to use
Prince J
post Jan 31 2020, 12:03 PM

Regular
1,272 posts

QUOTE(alexnvidia @ Jan 30 2020, 08:32 PM)
will you replace my unit with another unit if i send it in? otherwise i will have no laptop to use
Hi Alex

Yes you can request a loan laptop from us for temporary usage!
Jared21
post Feb 1 2020, 04:06 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(alexnvidia @ Jan 30 2020, 09:08 AM)
Thanks for the feedback. Is there an update to the popping and crackling issue for the highly problematic selenite realtek driver from the manufacturer?
Did you try the realtek workaround that was posted on the GK5 forum in notebookreview?
amir.asyraf
post Feb 1 2020, 10:37 PM

On my way
502 posts

I got my Selenite with RTX 2060.

Not gonna talk about hardware spec performance, since it's mostly the same across any device, the only variable being thermal performance

1) Audio
This has got to be the most disappointing part of the laptop. The speakers are so underwhelming. Sounds weak with meh dynamic range. It gets slightly better when you use the pre-installed Sound Blaster Connect. Also, not sure if this is my laptop's problem, but the speaker has a very noticeable popping sound every now and then. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happens, but it does and it's there.

2) Thermal Performance
Out of the box, it was poor at first. I constantly hit the 95 °C PROCHOT (thermal throttle) on the CPU (not even playing at highest setting).

But after undervolting the CPU Core and CPU Cache using Throttlestop, I managed to significantly reduce the temperature and now it rarely goes above 78 °C. Now, it's great! The heat also builds up at the upper part of the laptop body, so when you're using it, you barely feel the heat

They probably didn't do the stress test + undervolting enough I guess? Right now, I'm at -122.1 mV offset on both CPU Core and CPU Cache, and System Agent and iGPU at -45.9 mV offset. Probably could go lower, haven't really gone to the point of it crashing.

On light usage, it's around 42-48 °C during the day and 36-44 °C at night.

But this laptop can easily handle any game you throw at it. No problem. It's just a matter of what FPS you're willing to tolerate.

3) Keyboard
Kinda ok but not particularly great. They keys kind of, uhh wobbly?. And the click isn't as satisfying as I thought it would be. RGB looks awesome though.

4) Touchpad
I personally I think it's great, accurate and feels just nice. So far the best laptop touchpad I've used (that I own).

5) Battery
You'd be lucky to get 4 hours on this, even on the most conservative power saving setting + undervolting + light web browsing. Make sure to change to globally use Integrated graphics in Nvidia control panel, otherwise it's just gonna drive everything with the discrete graphic.

6) Screen
Great for me. 144 Hz and bright. Colour looks good and vibrant. Haven't tested colour accuracy though. The thin bezel is especially nice.

7) Price worthiness
This is what fucked me up the most lol. I thought Illegear has the best price/spec ratio!

https://shopee.com.my/MSI-17.3-GE75-9SF-668...9432.6111695931

Much better spec (RTX 2070) at lower price! MSI too!

Overall, I'd rate the Selenite RTX 2060 7/10

This post has been edited by amir.asyraf: Feb 1 2020, 10:43 PM
Jared21
post Feb 3 2020, 02:13 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 1 2020, 10:37 PM)

Not gonna talk about hardware spec performance, since it's mostly the same across any device, the only variable being thermal performance

1) Audio
This has got to be the most disappointing part of the laptop. The speakers are so underwhelming. Sounds weak with meh dynamic range. It gets slightly better when you use the pre-installed Sound Blaster Connect. Also, not sure if this is my laptop's problem, but the speaker has a very noticeable popping sound every now and then. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happens, but it does and it's there.
2) Thermal Performance
Out of the box, it was poor at first. I constantly hit the 95 °C PROCHOT (thermal throttle) on the CPU (not even playing at highest setting).

But after undervolting the CPU Core and CPU Cache using Throttlestop, I managed to significantly reduce the temperature and now it rarely goes above 78 °C. Now, it's great! The heat also builds up at the upper part of the laptop body, so when you're using it, you barely feel the heat

They probably didn't do the stress test + undervolting enough I guess? Right now, I'm at -122.1 mV offset on both CPU Core and CPU Cache, and System Agent and iGPU at -45.9 mV offset. Probably could go lower, haven't really gone to the point of it crashing.

But this laptop can easily handle any game you throw at it. No problem. It's just a matter of what FPS you're willing to tolerate.
3) Keyboard
Kinda ok but not particularly great. They keys kind of, uhh wobbly?. And the click isn't as satisfying as I thought it would be. RGB looks awesome though.
4) Touchpad
I personally I think it's great, accurate and feels just nice. So far the best laptop touchpad I've used (that I own).
5) Battery
You'd be lucky to get 4 hours on this, even on the most conservative power saving setting + undervolting + light web browsing. Make sure to change to globally use Integrated graphics in Nvidia control panel, otherwise it's just gonna drive everything with the discrete graphic.
6) Screen
Great for me. 144 Hz and bright. Colour looks good and vibrant. Haven't tested colour accuracy though. The thin bezel is especially nice.
7) Price worthiness
This is what fucked me up the most lol. I thought Illegear has the best price/spec ratio!

1) For audio refer to the last post on this page of this forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/to...815943/page-462
I've done this workaround and its improved my speaker experience quite a bit. I dont get any popping sounds and the equalizer does so much more than the SB software. Its the OG realtek control panel so no installing additional software or anything. Simple and clean with all the options you need

2) Regarding thermals, TG Kryonaut is possibly the worse choice of thermal paste for this laptop. The heatsinks are very uneven (typical ODM stuff, Clevo has this problem as well), CPU hold down uses 3 screws instead of 4 corner ones combined with a thin paste like Kryonaut equals pump out and the eventual rise of temps in the long run. Save money and just repaste yourself with something thicker like GC Extreme, Mastergel Nano or Phobya Nanogrease Extreme if you can find it. Personally wouldn't recommend IC DIamond cos it tends to scratch the die but is more than thick enough to compensate the shitty heatsink balance. I had core differentials up to 15 plus degrees on Kryonaut but managed to drop it to about 5 with Mastergel Nano. LM wont do you much due to the uneven heatsink and the voiding of warranty.

The BIOS used to allow undervolting all the way to -200mv but the latest can only get you to -50 and the rest has to be done via XTU or throttlestop. My chip draws around 1.2v stock so i have a -185mv undervolt on core, -85 on cache and -70 on igpu. If you want more control, custom BIOS is the only way to go or you can try to flash an XMG one which has a ton more options than any tongfang reseller so far. Kind of sad when you think about it. Other companies like XMG and Eluktronics offer so much more in the CC software and BIOS while we're stuck with something so barebones

Illegear should do their burn in test with Prime95 and Furmark at the same instance if they really want to test stability. This test combo will bring any system to its knees and if it can pass this test, it can hold up with any task.

3) I'm trying to source the keycaps of the XMG Neo 17. From what ive read they seem to have less wobble and their font is soo much cleaner than what oterh vendors have

4) Dont expect much from ODMs with battery life lmao. This is normal. However some peeps are trying to source the Selenite Pro/MAX17 battery and trying to see if it fits. Undervolt as much as you can to save power even on battery.

5) What panel is in your laptop? Some people have gotten Chi Mei CMN175D panels instead of the BoE one and i'm trying to source it due to it not using PWM to control brightness and its also a brighter display

6) Looking at the link it shows just a 6 month warranty. Even with that price, i'd much rather pay a bit more for a vendor that at least gives SOME support rather than going through so many loops just to fix something. With the 11/11 sale my unit came out to just above RM6.5K which isnt THAT much more than the GE75 in that link. The boosted 2060 gives close performance to a full 2070 as well, easily beating a Max Q 2070.

This post has been edited by Jared21: Feb 3 2020, 02:27 PM
amir.asyraf
post Feb 3 2020, 05:54 PM

On my way
502 posts

Woah nice thanks for replying!

QUOTE(Jared21 @ Feb 3 2020, 02:13 PM)
1) For audio refer to the last post on this page of this forum: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/to...815943/page-462
I've done this workaround and its improved my speaker experience quite a bit. I dont get any popping sounds and the equalizer does so much more than the SB software. Its the OG realtek control panel so no installing additional software or anything. Simple and clean with all the options you need
Thanks, will try and report back.

2) Regarding thermals, TG Kryonaut is possibly the worse choice of thermal paste for this laptop. The heatsinks are very uneven (typical ODM stuff, Clevo has this problem as well), CPU hold down uses 3 screws instead of 4 corner ones combined with a thin paste like Kryonaut equals pump out and the eventual rise of temps in the long run. Save money and just repaste yourself with something thicker like GC Extreme, Mastergel Nano or Phobya Nanogrease Extreme if you can find it. Personally wouldn't recommend IC DIamond cos it tends to scratch the die but is more than thick enough to compensate the shitty heatsink balance. I had core differentials up to 15 plus degrees on Kryonaut but managed to drop it to about 5 with Mastergel Nano. LM wont do you much due to the uneven heatsink and the voiding of warranty.

The BIOS used to allow undervolting all the way to -200mv but the latest can only get you to -50 and the rest has to be done via XTU or throttlestop. My chip draws around 1.2v stock so i have a -185mv undervolt on core, -85 on cache and -70 on igpu. If you want more control, custom BIOS is the only way to go or you can try to flash an XMG one which has a ton more options than any tongfang reseller so far. Kind of sad when you think about it. Other companies like XMG and Eluktronics offer so much more in the CC software and BIOS while we're stuck with something so barebones

Illegear should do their burn in test with Prime95 and Furmark at the same instance if they really want to test stability. This test combo will bring any system to its knees and if it can pass this test, it can hold up with any task.
I see... Thanks I'll definitely be repasting. And yeah for the first time with this laptop, just yesterday I had a relatively long and intense gaming session (3+ hours) and the CPU was constantly hitting its limit at 95 °C, some core even hitting 99 °C.

Man -185 mV offset is really good, unfortunately for me mine is already unstable at -145 mV, with the OS being completely frozen when running Battlefield V and I had to hard reboot. Also, I thought you're supposed to undervolt both CPU Core and CPU Cache equally?

Does flashing custom BIOS void warranty?

5) What panel is in your laptop? Some people have gotten Chi Mei CMN175D panels instead of the BoE one and i'm trying to source it due to it not using PWM to control brightness and its also a brighter display
I've no idea. Where to check?

6) Looking at the link it shows just a 6 month warranty. Even with that price, i'd much rather pay a bit more for a vendor that at least gives SOME support rather than going through so many loops just to fix something. With the 11/11 sale my unit came out to just above RM6.5K which isnt THAT much more than the GE75 in that link. The boosted 2060 gives close performance to a full 2070 as well, easily beating a Max Q 2070.
Is it really boosted? Also, do you use MSI Afterburner with yours to boost the GPU or undervolt? If so, would be great if you could share your profile here. I suck at trying to tune it.

JonKS1
post Feb 3 2020, 11:21 PM

0 posts

Is it normal that the Selenite monitor appears to have white light leakage at the bottom part of the screen?

It looks like this as shown in the website:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/my/en/...-screen?lang=en

This post has been edited by JonKS1: Feb 4 2020, 07:26 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Jared21
post Feb 3 2020, 11:29 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 3 2020, 05:54 PM)
Woah nice thanks for replying!
Thanks, will try and report back.
I see... Thanks I'll definitely be repasting. And yeah for the first time with this laptop, just yesterday I had a relatively long and intense gaming session (3+ hours) and the CPU was constantly hitting its limit at 95 °C, some core even hitting 99 °C.

Man -185 mV offset is really good, unfortunately for me mine is already unstable at -145 mV, with the OS being completely frozen when running Battlefield V and I had to hard reboot. Also, I thought you're supposed to undervolt both CPU Core and CPU Cache equally?

Does flashing custom BIOS void warranty?
I've no idea. Where to check?
Is it really boosted? Also, do you use MSI Afterburner with yours to boost the GPU or undervolt? If so, would be great if you could share your profile here. I suck at trying to tune it.
For my undervolt, my cache wont go past -100mv so i left it at -85 to be safe. Core got me dimishing returns at around -190. Will probably back it up to about -170 later.

For display, hit up device manager, click the monitor section, right click on Generic PnP Monitor or whatever its called on your unit and select properties. Under that, hit details and select Hardware Ids from the list.

Yes can confirm this is purely boosted using Turbo mode. I haven't installed Afterburner since it requires the GPU to be active and that draws a lot more power if say i left it running in the background without knowing. So far the highest i've seen my 2060 boost is about 1935mhz and it holds at 1905mhz once the cooling system gets heatsoaked. My firestrike scores are also in line with what i expected with my highest score being 16149. Consistently in the 15k to 16k range. I've linked it below. You should see my undervolt used at that time listed in the description box and left a tidbit smile.gif Can compare to my desktop score in my sig for reference.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/21345146

This post has been edited by Jared21: Feb 3 2020, 11:32 PM
amir.asyraf
post Feb 4 2020, 05:09 PM

On my way
502 posts

QUOTE(Jared21 @ Feb 3 2020, 11:29 PM)
For my undervolt, my cache wont go past -100mv so i left it at -85 to be safe. Core got me dimishing returns at around -190. Will probably back it up to about -170 later.

For display, hit up device manager, click the monitor section, right click on Generic PnP Monitor or whatever its called on your unit and select properties. Under that, hit details and select Hardware Ids from the list.

Yes can confirm this is purely boosted using Turbo mode. I haven't installed Afterburner since it requires the GPU to be active and that draws a lot more power if say i left it running in the background without knowing. So far the highest i've seen my 2060 boost is about 1935mhz and it holds at 1905mhz once the cooling system gets heatsoaked. My firestrike scores are also in line with what i expected with my highest score being 16149. Consistently in the 15k to 16k range. I've linked it below. You should see my undervolt used at that time listed in the description box and left a tidbit smile.gif Can compare to my desktop score in my sig for reference.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/21345146
Nice. I haven't done any benchmarking or stress testing on mine, don't really care. As long I can game and open Visual Studio without the laptop going into seizure.
lutp2003
post Feb 14 2020, 05:18 PM

3 posts

Just got my selenite pro today I'm no laptop expert but so far I am satisfied with the product that I've purchased

I took the one with 2070 with killer wifi
Added an extra ssd (games are too big nowadays)

These are my quick impressions so far for the selenite pro
I am.by no means am expert in computers more of an enthusiast

Build quality is very good. The magnesium allow has its premium feel to it
I have no issues with the audio so far. No crackling or popping sound
The audio is loud enough for me to comfortable watch a video
Gaming is fine too however the fans do get loud on heavy load.some might prefer a headset

The panel is bright and responsive. I'vr tried to check for ghosting but I can't say ive seen any

As with the others heat is still an issue
Ive tried undervolting on my PC a few years ago through the bios but with this laptop I'm a bit worried of doing it. Not familiar with Throttlestop
With the stock settings I haven't had any issues with throttling

I haven't tried gaming for more than 2 hours so the results might be different

Just giving my thoughts here as I tried to get as much review on the laptop before but it's quite barren to find it on the net

I kept going back to reviews on the Eluktronicks Max 17
incubus_skj
post Feb 20 2020, 05:52 PM

Watame Shogun
1,746 posts

QUOTE(lutp2003 @ Feb 14 2020, 05:18 PM)
Just got my selenite pro today I'm no laptop expert but so far I am satisfied with the product that I've purchased

I took the one with 2070 with killer wifi
Added an extra ssd (games are too big nowadays)

These are my quick impressions so far for the selenite pro
I am.by no means am expert in computers more of an enthusiast

Build quality is very good. The magnesium allow has its premium feel to it
I have no issues with the audio so far. No crackling or popping sound
The audio is loud enough for me to comfortable watch a video
Gaming is fine too however the fans do get loud on heavy load.some might prefer a headset

The panel is bright and responsive. I'vr tried to check for ghosting but I can't say ive seen any

As with the others heat is still an issue
Ive tried undervolting on my PC a few years ago through the bios but with this laptop I'm a bit worried of doing it. Not familiar with Throttlestop
With the stock settings I haven't had any issues with throttling

I haven't tried gaming for more than 2 hours so the results might be different

Just giving my thoughts here as I tried to get as much review on the laptop before but it's quite barren to find it on the net

I kept going back to reviews on the Eluktronicks Max 17
how long did you have to wait for your order? did you have to wait for over 3 weeks also? since they always so good business until cannot fulfill orders in time
incubus_skj
post Feb 24 2020, 10:32 AM

Watame Shogun
1,746 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

finally got my Selenite Pro this morning. build quality is solid and above my expectation, no pesky bloatware, and the unit is small enough to fit into my work manbag although it's a 17"

the RGB colors a bit soft though, the keyboard illumination isn't as bright as the others in the market.
and since it's a 4-zone RGB, the "wave" function will not look as nice as the per-key RGB keyboards. not that i mind

The THX Spatial Audio is able to pump out quite a loud volume with those tiny speakers, was quite surprised by that too.

The screen's effective sRGB coverage is only 97% and not 100% as advertised, and the color calibration was way out from the one done on my Spyder 5 Pro.

user posted image

This post has been edited by incubus_skj: Feb 24 2020, 10:04 PM
TSmcloudteo
post Feb 28 2020, 10:03 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 1 2020, 10:37 PM)

1) Audio
2) Thermal Performance

3) Keyboard
4) Touchpad
5) Battery
6) Screen
7) Price worthiness

I second the review above tongue.gif

Touchpad is great I don't miss my mouse too much while I use my laptop for work related usage. I guess can make it a little bit smaller than will be perfect but it's very precise thumbsup.gif

amir.asyraf
post Feb 28 2020, 02:44 PM

On my way
502 posts

QUOTE(incubus_skj @ Feb 24 2020, 10:32 AM)
the RGB colors a bit soft though, the keyboard illumination isn't as bright as the others in the market.
and since it's a 4-zone RGB, the "wave" function will not look as nice as the per-key RGB keyboards. not that i mind
eh it's the same with Selenite which has per-key RGB, the wave animation sucks.

I hope Illegear could release the source code for the command center. I have a some experience in firmware/systems programming, I think I could take a crack at it.

This post has been edited by amir.asyraf: Feb 28 2020, 02:44 PM
incubus_skj
post Feb 28 2020, 02:48 PM

Watame Shogun
1,746 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 28 2020, 02:44 PM)

I hope Illegear could release the source code for the command center. I have a some experience in firmware/systems programming, I think I could take a crack at it.
Eh the effects for per key RGB also crap ah? sweat.gif I just leave them 4 different colors no effects easier lol

This post has been edited by incubus_skj: Feb 28 2020, 02:48 PM
amir.asyraf
post Feb 28 2020, 03:10 PM

On my way
502 posts

QUOTE(incubus_skj @ Feb 28 2020, 02:48 PM)
Eh the effects for per key RGB also crap ah? sweat.gif I just leave them 4 different colors no effects easier lol
Yeah it's crap, here's what the wave effect looks like: https://gfycat.com/distinctmiserableafricanjacana

But having the ability to assign each keys their own individual colour is awesome, I just set mine randomly, although I avoid 2 colours next to each other:

user posted image

Too bad the UI/UX for assigning colours to keys sucks though. You can't drag colours to assign multiple keys quickly, and also there's no profiles.

This post has been edited by amir.asyraf: Feb 28 2020, 03:20 PM
incubus_skj
post Feb 28 2020, 04:04 PM

Watame Shogun
1,746 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 28 2020, 03:10 PM)
Yeah it's crap, here's what the wave effect looks like: https://gfycat.com/distinctmiserableafricanjacana

But having the ability to assign each keys their own individual colour is awesome, I just set mine randomly, although I avoid 2 colours next to each other:

user posted image

Too bad the UI/UX for assigning colours to keys sucks though. You can't drag colours to assign multiple keys quickly, and also there's no profiles.
Hahaha at least yours has like 6 different zones wave. Mine only had 4
But it's OK lah. The keyboard clackity feel quite comfortable for me. Just need to get used to the weird ass numpad with no enter key and pgup / pgdwn / home / end all around the place
Jared21
post Feb 28 2020, 08:13 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 28 2020, 02:44 PM)

I can probably get it from XMG or Eluktronicks. They're very open to all these things
JonKS1
post Feb 29 2020, 07:35 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(amir.asyraf @ Feb 28 2020, 03:10 PM)

user posted image

If you are seeking for nicer animation of wave, try to set the speed to the maximum. Then you will notice a higher frequency and smoother transition of wave. Try it out

35 Pages « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0283sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 PM