Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

Zot
post Feb 5 2020, 02:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 5 2020, 11:21 AM)
This one you got to ask RTM and Media Prima directly, "why not you broadcasters pay more money to Astro to broadcast your channels in HD?"
It's not Astro to decide since the channels is not operated by Astro. Astro is just channel provider for them only.
It is the other way around.

Why Astro need to promote non-Astro channel by transmitting in UHD or even HD? It is a waste of bandwidth for Astro. Better promote their own channel.

Why Media Prima and RTM need to pay Astro for HD when people can just install antenna which is way cheaper and watch HD for free?
Zot
post Feb 5 2020, 03:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 4 2020, 05:44 PM)
The seamless switching part, hard to say. But I can see that, there is a possibility there. As in will they really implement that for real, it's still unknown yet.

Does this issue also happen on other browsers/devices/computer/network (try compare the difference between your home WiFi and mobile data)?
You tried clear cache (app or browser), log out then log in again?

I just tried using Astro Go... No issues for me though...
I opted for Ultra Box just because the old PVR is coming to end. The firmware was upgraded but the hardware has hit the limit. Getting slower response and sometime just need hard reset.

I did not expect the new box is good in PVR section but it is worse than my expectation laugh.gif . Press forward or rewind takes time to execute and response is clunky. Recording when forwarded can jumped back to beginning probably due to recording error in indexing, recursive I'd say doh.gif I know my Internet speed is more than enough, but I'm not sure on the Astro side or the cloud server service provider (if not by Astro itself). The main reason of still using Astro is for its programmable recoding. Manually search and programming other recording device is too tedious smile.gif

Probably there is limited spectrum that is available. Lower band is used by LTE but lower band also would give Astro limited channel. The 10GHz spectrum is not suitable for tropical rain area like Malaysia. Need to go lower than 7GHz to get better availability of service. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Zot: Feb 5 2020, 03:30 PM
Zot
post Feb 5 2020, 09:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Feb 5 2020, 05:31 PM)
Is the update the new UI for the PVR box( with the new home screen, etc)?
Cannot remember but since the box is always on, it shoujld be the latest.

Even the new UHD box I experience 3 times already no response when try to switch on. Has to press and hold power button to restart. I guess probably overnight update?
Zot
post Feb 6 2020, 08:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 6 2020, 12:06 AM)
PVR box has built in hard disk inside, so that's why when you fast forward, rewind, play a programme... It is almost instant and real-time, cuz the PVR box can just read/write the hard disk locally and need not depend on Internet.

Ultra Box fully relies on Internet for cloud PVR recordings, VOD streaming, 'Play from Start', and others.
So when you perform PVR functions (rewind, fast forward, play...), it will go through lots of complicated process on their streaming server part, network stuff and so on.
That's why all Ultra Box users now will experience such delay.

Even if your Internet speed is few Gbps, it doesn't matter. As long if it depends on Internet to load, such delays would occur for sure.
They can only reduce the delay time (as near instant as Netflix), but it won't be as real-time as what you experienced on PVR box that relies on built in hard disk.

Ultra Box do supports external hard disk by connecting it to its USB 3.0 port.
But Astro do not authorise Ultra Box users to connect external hard disk yet, because they say "it isn't ready for now, and we don't know when will that happen". That's it, no further comments.
If they allow its users to connect external hard disk, then you would enjoy the same instantaneous response as what you experience on PVR box.
Cuz right now, Astro put their main focus on cloud recording first.

----

Astro, as well as almost all satellite pay TV providers around the world, will continue to use Ku band frequency for satellite TV purposes, which operates in between 10.7-12.75GHz.
There is no alternative frequencies for that already. Throughout worldwide, frequencies lower than 10.7GHz are utilised for something else, including for military, government, and other communication stuff that general public may not aware of.
Whether is it "suitable or not suitable" in tropical country, that's not for us to decide, cuz other tropical countries are also using it, like Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, and more.
Rain fade issue on Ku band is common for tropical countries, and it has always been like this since forever.

Although C band (3.4-4.2GHz) doesn't have rain fade issue like Ku band, there's a very little number of pay TV providers worldwide are using it due to its overall costs, practicality and many other technical factors, and Astro won't even think of using or migrating to that for its pay TV services, so do stop hoping for it, if you were.
C band is used for other more important and essential usages (e.g. distributing content, live feeds, data services, and more). Long story short, something that is more important than providing just a satellite pay TV service.
Plus, that C band satellite use is under pressure since many countries worldwide are already been or planning to use for 5G services as soon as in the next coming years. You can Google that for more info.

Therefore, whether you like it or not, Astro's satellite TV will continue to experience rain fade issue, now and forever. So there's no solution for that. Period.
I know about cloud storage stuff but I still think that the service for the cloud Astro is using still not good. I know the PVR use the HDD and the reason why the external drive to UBox is not implemented most likely due to copyright issue. This is the same reason why certain channel cannot be recorded because cloud storage is not something secure. The internal HDD in PVR is on proprietary format that cannot be just copied out.

On PVR, even if you are not recording, you can rewind a bit in case you missed something but now this is not possible with new box. This is a big minus for me but you can play from start doh.gif

I could predict that if the broadband infra improved and ascessible to more rural area, more and more people will move to IPTV. The reason for lower band high cost is just that you can put less number of channel since not much of bandwidth when it comes to UHD bandwidth requirement.

This post has been edited by Zot: Feb 6 2020, 08:26 AM
Zot
post Feb 6 2020, 10:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(socratesman @ Feb 6 2020, 09:58 AM)
i see some you using the acronym OTT
i searched posts in topic, still can't find the meaning of it

OTT = over the terrestrial ?
Here is a good explanation on OOT:

OTT stands for over-the-top and is also referred to as “value added.” Most of us have been using OTT services without actually realizing. Simply put, OTT refers to the service you use over the network services of your service provider.

sos https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-ott-3426369
Zot
post Feb 6 2020, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Feb 6 2020, 10:07 AM)
They could easily require a format, encrypt the External HDD and tie the encryption to the decoder and the smart card, which would solve the issue of not being secure.... Also, I think you can even remove the Internal HDD of the PVR box( at your own risk) and plug into a PC, but it won't work as it's tied to the decoder and smart card
As long as Astro can convince content providers, Astro probably can get approval. The same reason why you cannot record certain program because Astro cannot get approval for contents that Astro has no complete right to it. smile.gif You don't have this issue with old PVR.
Zot
post Feb 9 2020, 07:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(kkm @ Feb 9 2020, 03:54 PM)
Couldn't find anything on this here, but just realised that there's no "mute" button on the remote control on the Ultra box. Anyone got a workaround?
Yes... but the manual show mute on vol button. I tried every technique like press both button, throw on the floor, kick to the wall, etc. Nothing work. doh.gif

Lucky I have old remote. Much easier. Press less button. The campaign was that cleaner look eay to maneuver, but the fact is they want to reduce the cost nod.gif
Zot
post Feb 9 2020, 07:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(Matchy @ Feb 9 2020, 06:10 PM)
Anyone having problem with their decoder recently? Mine randomly hang (can’t change channel) slow boot, hang at boot, etc
3 times when I wanted to switch on, nothing happened. puke.gif
Zot
post Feb 9 2020, 07:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Feb 9 2020, 04:49 PM)
I've just realized that Astro & Broadband doesn't seem to save a lot of money...only RM5-30/month, not to mention that there's 24-month contract.... their marketing/ advertising makes it sound like it’s worth it and save a lot of money 🤔
That is what is called marketing. laugh.gif
Zot
post Feb 10 2020, 08:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Feb 9 2020, 08:54 PM)
Wow, does this means like Astro leaves PVR box user hanging with beta software forever ?
The old PVR box also has its own bugs. The reason I upgraded was because once the UBox came out, you can say that the PVR is abandoned just like your smartphone after two new models released laugh.gif
Zot
post Feb 10 2020, 08:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(razuryza @ Feb 10 2020, 12:49 AM)
Betol la tu. new ultrabox got issues la i think. No rain also said no connection. Needs to reboot by unplugged the main power. Sigh
You can unplug the power or power off adapter for several seconds and on again.

Another option is just press power button on the right side. Hold it about 10s perhaps and it will reboot just like PC.
Zot
post Feb 10 2020, 09:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(pokchik @ Feb 10 2020, 08:55 AM)
aw, man..

i wanted to upgrade to Ultra Box but when there's no HDD recording, wife say tak payah because later if internet got problem,
cannot view also for what.

now i plan to upgrade my mom's astro to PVR (previously just HD decoder), but if I go to Ultra Box setup, i'm afraid mom might not be familiar with the controls..

have to plan a visit to astro to check out my options.
The remote control is not much harder to use. It is intuitive but less button. So, have to navigate a bit more. Anyway, Astro will let you keep old remote (at least mine smile.gif ) and it is 100% compatible. I think the GUI is better since it is presented more graphically.
Zot
post Feb 11 2020, 10:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 11 2020, 10:15 AM)
"Unusually high volume" is a biggest bulls**t you'll ever hear from Astro for years.

Let's be real. Does Astro customer service ever experience "unusually low volume" of customers calling in or requires assistance? Astro got such thing as "less people call in" or "less people needs assistance"?
Maybe. I guess that would be during midnight.
that is standard bot reply. Sometimes bot also tired laugh.gif

Many provides 24/7 service but many just interactive, pre-recorded standard troubleshooting. For further assist, you can e-mail, twitter, etc. smile.gif
Zot
post Feb 12 2020, 08:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

One more feature that I've missed on PVR is clock. Now I have to turn my head to another wall to check the time and it is not internet sync like on PVR laugh.gif
Zot
post Feb 12 2020, 09:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(stasio @ Feb 12 2020, 08:48 AM)
Press arrow down bellow OK button.
I don't mean on TV screen but the decider itself during standby biggrin.gif
Zot
post Feb 12 2020, 11:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 12 2020, 10:52 AM)
For your info, the date and time shown on Astro boxes is synchronise via satellite, not Internet.
I'd consider all interconnection of data either through fiber, copper, wireless (including satellite) as Inter-Networking. smile.gif
Zot
post Feb 12 2020, 05:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 12 2020, 05:06 PM)
Is it still happening now? On any random shows, or certain shows only? How about live TV playback?
I mean who knows the issue is "gone" already?

I personally don't think is the Internet speed issue like what Astro ask you to do.
You try go to the Settings on Astro Go, select Registered Devices, then remove all devices (except your own Astro box, if have).
Then clear browsing data (especially cookies, cache, etc), then see if issue persists.
Any customer service will just provide standard troubleshooting step. If everything's not solving the problem, then "We will look into it. Please provide the step on how you encounter the issue"

The more more you ask the higher you body temperature laugh.gif
Zot
post Feb 16 2020, 05:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Feb 15 2020, 11:12 PM)
What you mean smoke come out?

If they would want a certain batch of users to change to new STB, they can trigger such "switch" by making some technical issues to occur, such as STB cannot boot, STB auto restart automatically, STB cannot detect smart card, satellite tuner got issue that causes it to no signal, etc.
Not literally like time bomb, literally "smoke come out" la lol...

Then they shall arrange a technician to your premise, and get it checked then eventually replace a new one.

Disclaimer: This is just my assumption, and I'm not sure if Astro does this kind of practice or not, but theoretically from what I see, it is not impossible for them to do so.

Legacy boxes are meant to last long, but newer Astro boxes don't.
Because technology keep on advancing and improving, just like why many people would change a new smartphone after some time (like once every 2 years, 4 years, or so)

According to Astro, their STB's average lifespan is approximately 5 years. I saw this statement before on one of the article on Astro's financial report or Astro Quake (formerly Astro Radar).
So, if they make it last long long like legacy box, who knows, the next difficulty for them in phasing out a particular platform would be DMT4 HD/PVR boxes, just like what Astro is facing now with migrating its legacy box users.

Or maybe entire DMT 4, DMT5, DMT 5 v2, and HD Zapper box platform, if Astro transmit all of its channel in HEVC, and Ultra Box can be used.
I think that would only happen 10+ years later la, so no need to think about this now.
He meant like Mission Impossible biggrin.gif
Zot
post Feb 16 2020, 06:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

This morning when I press on button, the UBox no response .... again ... I guess 4th time already. Reboot by pressing ON button for about 10s but then still not working. Repeat but still the same thing. Pulled out power plug from jack and inserted. After completed the reboot sequence, then only it worked doh.gif
Zot
post Feb 17 2020, 09:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,970 posts

QUOTE(zeone @ Feb 17 2020, 09:27 AM)
Happened 2our Ultrabox a no of times oledi...

Tried many ways incl pulling out our Ethernet cable... 🤔

Finally the best way is 2power off and back on again..
Like a FULL Restart?? 👏👍✌️
Yes. Need total reboot. I think most likely they upgrade the firmware over night, thus causing this.

I observed that I can just press power button about 10s~14s and the box will reboot. It will blink and become red and few seconds later go back to standby (orange). Just need to wait like 5s bofore pressing the remote button. Else it will still no response.

Note:
There are 2 sunk in button on the right. The power is the one in front (if not mistaken)

22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.49    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th August 2022 - 06:26 PM