views

joshhd
post Mar 2 2019, 04:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Mar 2 2019, 02:54 PM)
Told 'ya. laugh.gif

Hmm... Well...
Although this rarely happens, but almost every time when Astro ceases a channel, it is usually due to low viewership and doesn't financially benefit them.
At least, Astro gave a proper explanation behind the reason of the channel cessation.
joshhd
post Mar 6 2019, 10:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Mar 6 2019, 09:51 PM)
maybe this is the reason why Zee Tamil wanted to leave astro ... so that they can pocket the money directly fr consumers:

https://www.televisionpost.com/zee5-inks-di...n-telco-celcom/

on a different note, a new Tech channel launching on Starhub soon. Cheers.

user posted image

But based on the reply by Astro, it doesn't seems like it.
It's more like, some content licensing issues rather than money issue...

Whatever it is, it's not worth subscribing that channel anyway.

The Tech Storm channel, after I Google a bit, it seems like it is a Singapore based, international channel hmm.gif
Never heard of it before, but let's see if Astro would take up that channel in near future.
joshhd
post Mar 7 2019, 04:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(socratesman @ Mar 7 2019, 12:44 PM)
Any folks here received call from Astro (or their contractors) to have your old byond decoder replaced?

The person who called my dad  says new decoder is FOC, only need to pay RM50 for installation service....they claimed Astro is phasing out old decoders due to spare parts unavailability.

Scam?

No that's not scam. It is true that Astro is already in the process of phasing out legacy Astro set-top-boxes.
they claimed Astro is phasing out old decoders due to spare parts unavailability.
Well, that's one of the truth la.
More than 90% of 5.5 mil Astro/Njoi users are already on the new B.yond boxes, while less than 10% of its users are still using the legacy Astro STBs.

Also, it also worth noting that due to the minority legacy set-top-boxes users, Astro could not use MPEG-4 H.264 video and AAC audio codec on all SD channels (except Astro AOD and TVB channels from Jade Pack) and have to stick with the old technology, MPEG-2 video codec until all customers migrate to the new B.yond box.

Description
Legacy Astro STBs
Current Astro B.yond STBs
Satellite's modulation type DVB-S DVB-S2 8PSK
Video codec Supports only in SD (MPEG-2) Supports SD and HD (MPEG-2 & MPEG-4)
Audio codec MP2 AAC & Dolby audio (HD only)
User interface Obviously look outdated Newer and better
Paired Smart Card Encryption Interchangeable to other STBs Not interchangeable with other STBs
Support Status Already End-of-Life (EOL) Still in support

In terms of channel/content, Astro made some channels exclusively only in HD, so that only B.yond box users are able to watch the channel, while legacy STBs users will not able to enjoy the particular channel. One of the best example like the recent cessation of the SD version of Disney XD (CH 617) on 1 March 2019, so if there is users who still using legacy STBs but wish to continue watching Disney XD must upgrade to B.yond box and subscribe to at least Family HD pack to watch this channel only in HD quality of Disney XD (CH 637).

When more users are on the new B.yond platform, that could mean more premium services especially the On Demand, a video on demand service from Astro where you can select to download and watch your shows anytime you wish, once you connected your Astro PVR box to home Internet (e.g. WiFi). Astro call these customers as "Connected STBs" users, meaning their Astro STBs are connected to Internet. So when more users or everyone are able to experience new stuff from Astro, that could mean more revenue/benefit for Astro too. This is one of the advantage la...

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 7 2019, 05:01 PM
joshhd
post Mar 7 2019, 10:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Mar 7 2019, 05:31 PM)
but the video codecs on those (non)HD channels remains in MPEG2? hmm.gif

Yes. The rest of the SD channels are still in MPEG-2 for the sake of legacy STBs.
Until they fully discontinue the use of legacy STBs, MPEG-2 will still continue to be used on SD channels, and that is pretty expected.

Astro AOD (Catch up channels) and Jade Pack channels are in MPEG-4 is because when Astro AOD includes in Dynasty pack few years ago, they did announce that if Dynasty pack customers wish to enjoy Astro AOD without additional cost must upgrade to B.yond box, and during the promo that time, I remember they waive the installation fee, and promote Super Pack 3 as well. Then, that's when Astro AOD now has commercial breaks every 15 minutes, where last time Astro AOD is used to be commercial-free even during prime time premiere at 8.30pm and 9.30pm.

As for Jade Pack, since it is a newly introduced package, Astro can easily make that package to be available exclusively only for B.yond box users. So they can use MPEG-4 video and AAC audio without worrying about compatibility issue on legacy STBs.
joshhd
post Mar 8 2019, 03:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(socratesman @ Mar 8 2019, 03:03 AM)
Appreciated these feedback, folks
My decoder is byond HD STB,  although no PVR

I will ask if contract renewed, it's not a problem for us as long as monthly fee the same,  Dad needs his Sport package

Sure no problem.
Usually for HD STB, it is 12 months contract. For PVR is 24 months.

What are the packages you subscribed? Depending on your subscription, you may consider choose one of the Value Packs that includes Sports pack, as well as HD-PVR service.
joshhd
post Mar 11 2019, 01:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Mar 10 2019, 11:57 PM)
after removing #135 with no replacement HD channel, sure got less mood to get it. laugh.gif

...for Njoi customers.
Family HD pack customers get 2 simulcast SD/HD channels in exchange (Prima HD and Oasis HD).
joshhd
post Mar 11 2019, 11:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Mar 11 2019, 10:21 AM)
Well personally I feels like now there's too many Malay channels on astro... How many actually watch all these channels? Sure the viewers share pie would split...

Then u have 1 Arab language channels...
I also don't know the main purpose of broadcasting over astro platform....

Lots of Malay channels is better for more programmes varieties to choose from. And each individual Malay channel has its own programme types and genre. You got movie, comedy, general entertainment, religion, family type.... Even the channel viewer share is being split, it is still successful business thanks to the more Malay audiences/population in Malaysia.

For Chinese and Indian audiences, you can import more programmes from countries like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and India. So indirectly, you get more variety of content from foreign countries that speaks the same vernacular language. But Malay programmes? It's got to be Malaysia as the primary content provider. You can't be expecting the majority of Malaysian Malay to watch Bahasa Indonesia programmes, aren't you? Singapore Mediacorp and Brunei don't produce much of their Malay content, and they also depend a lot on Malaysia to import into their own country channel as well.

ART Variety is targeted for Middle Eastern expats in Malaysia, not primarily targeting Malaysians. It's also useful for Malays who learns Arabic langauge as they can watch the channel to expose themselves to Arabic better.
joshhd
post Mar 11 2019, 05:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Mar 11 2019, 12:21 PM)
oh okay. astro split the channels into different genre... then it's smart move.. why i'm asking because I see from afar.. all the programs looks the same.. same old drama content in all those channels.. rich Datuk story, love of rich & poor. then u have corporate meetings.. rempit racing... etc. all looks the same...

and yes. Malaysia is one main exporter of Malay contents to Singapore & Brunei... They really like ours content.. One good positive point  rclxms.gif

as for Chinese/Indian content.. well Malaysian based one very limited... also Malaysian Chinese & Indian don't really watch local produced movies/dramas/documentaries... So easy way out is just import from China,HK, Taiwan & India.. Some from Pakistan too  blink.gif

as for ART Variety... well I got no comments on that...  once a while, unintended..saw some good arab video songs... quite good.. the belly dance type  brows.gif  would be good to watch those in HD  sweat.gif  brows.gif  icon_idea.gif

But the thing for sure is, as long they see a positive results on the viewership ratings, it will only encourage them to continue do the same things like you mentioned, split into several channels, repeat old shows and stuff. It's like "Since what we do now is giving great viewership, we simply can assume our audiences love it, so why change?" They got millions over viewership across their channels, what makes you think they will bother those "few ants" making noise?

Don't forget, who spend most of the time on TV nowadays? Elderly usually don't demand much. Most of them are like, "what they air, I just watch."
Unlike youngsters la...

rich Datuk story, love of rich & poor. then u have corporate meetings.. rempit racing... etc. all looks the same...
This one I agree biggrin.gif, especially Malay dramas from the boring RTM TV1 and TV2 channels, which they called it a "family-friendly, moral teaching" dramas, as if the Pendidikan Moral/Islam you learn in primary and secondary national schools still not making you a moral enough person. Many Malay people out there, especially those elderly, still thinks that TV is a good way to not just to entertain people, but also to educate people in good moral values, as well as Islam values. So, do you think this is a problem for Malay programmes? If not, then what makes you think RTM, Media Prima and Astro will drastically change they way they produce Malay content now?
joshhd
post Mar 12 2019, 11:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Mar 12 2019, 11:09 AM)
Huh foreign satellite? Not using measat satellite?
This one ministry is which department? Also same part of under MCMC, right?

Even MYTV uses foreign satellite company called Asiasat to provide DTH service.
Not necessary Malaysia must only use Malaysian satellite company one. You could say that they can use any satellite companies out there that has coverage in Malaysia, and suits their technical requirements.

This one ministry is which department? Also same part of under MCMC, right?
What you mean by that?

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 12 2019, 12:01 PM
joshhd
post Mar 13 2019, 12:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(razuryza @ Mar 12 2019, 09:23 PM)
My beyond stb kaput already la..hdmi port cannot link to tv..only component and av port can...also i think the lnb is kaput too..coz tried using another lnb and anaother stb in my house, can connect to satellite

So..what should i do..call astro or go to astro for faster replacement? And should be free or need to pay?

You tried change another HDMI cable, and reboot your Astro STB?
also i think the lnb is kaput too..coz tried using another lnb and anaother stb in my house, can connect to satellite
It might be dish alignment too. Have you tried realign the dish?
joshhd
post Mar 13 2019, 10:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(razuryza @ Mar 13 2019, 01:34 AM)
confirm hdmi port problem
confirm lnb problem

coz ive tried ade stb, other hdmi cable and other lnb

it works

so should i go to astro service centre to change the faulty ones, or call ask they come? i dont want to pay a penny

If Astro assign a technician to visit your premise, a Technical Service Fee of RM65 will be charged. And that haven't include any charges on new equipment (if any).

i dont want to pay a penny
You tell Astro this. See what they say.
joshhd
post Mar 13 2019, 05:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(razuryza @ Mar 13 2019, 12:11 PM)
no need installation..i can install myself..thats why i want to bring to service centre for change..not they coming to my house

You can try go to the service centre and see if they give you the necessary equipment you need there.
Even they don't charge for installation, and let you DIY, they might charge for, like for instance, new LNB.
Anyhow, do share with us on what Astro assist you when you're in their service centre.

And if you change new STB, regardless of whatever reasons even it is not your fault (e.g. lightning strike) or problem that caused by you, your contract will still restart, 12 months for HD box, or 24 months for PVR box, unless your case is very very very special till the point they put an exception on your case, but very unlikely la. If you don't plan to terminate Astro anytime soon, then you don't need to bother about this.

So, it is customer's responsibility to take good care of Astro STB if you don't want to get any trouble like this.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 13 2019, 05:19 PM
joshhd
post Mar 14 2019, 07:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

E! Media Prima TV Networks? Woah, like not bad oh Media Prima...
No matter what Media Prima do, they better don't cause Astro to convert the E! channel from the original Asia feed to localised Malaysia feed. shakehead.gif
https://facebook.com/TV3MALAYSIA/posts/10156200112266167
joshhd
post Mar 18 2019, 08:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(cruel_boy @ Mar 17 2019, 11:22 PM)
if stb problem, can call and report. they will run through steps by phone to diagnose the problem. pretty boring and time consuming. after identify problem, will submit report. at this point, you can inform them that no technicians needed and you can return the stb to nearby astro centre for replacement. once confirm, proceed to the centre and get your new stb.

thats how i did it before. stb was bricked probably due to power loss during update. presumably it failed to update because i always turn it off. appearently i must leave stb on standby mode at all time even if im not watching tv. free replacement at no cost, but still during contract period. no other charges.

Upon replacing to new STB, do they impose you a new 12/24 mths contract, or your existing contract period still continues without extending/restart?
joshhd
post Mar 18 2019, 08:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Mar 18 2019, 06:46 AM)
To downgradw must call. They purposely make it harder for people to downgrade.

That's a common practice here in Malaysia, as well as some other countries. Easy to sign up and upgrade, but extremely difficult and troublesome to downgrade and terminate.
joshhd
post Mar 26 2019, 07:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Mar 26 2019, 07:25 PM)
The page you’re looking for can’t be found.

Hmm...

I believe this The Star article says the same thing...
https://www.thestar.com.my/business/busines...rnings-in-fy19/
Astro FY19 profit declines on higher sports content cost, VSS and forex losses
KUALA LUMPUR:  Astro Malaysia Holdings  Bhd said it is reviewing its business after the pay TV operator reported its lowest annual net profit in five years.

The media company expects financial year ending Jan 31, 2020 (FY20) to be another challenging year.

Astro, in a statement today, said net profit in the fourth quarter ended Jan 31, 2019 (Q4FY19) fell 35% to RM118.4mil as revenue remained steady at RM1.368bil.

Full year earnings stood at RM462.9mil compared with RM770.6mil made a year earlier.

The company has declared a fourth interim dividend of 1.5 sen a share, that lifted its full year payout to 9 sen a share.

In FY18, total payout was 12.5 sen a share.

Astro said its pay TV average revenue per user (ARPU), a key measure of its income, was steady at RM99.9 in FY19, but earnings was affected by higher sports content cost, one-off employee separation scheme costs and unrealised forex losses on finance lease liabilities.

“Given the challenging operating environment, Astro is reviewing its business so that we remain efficient and agile to serve our customers better," its chief executive officer Henry Tan said.

"Our focus will remain on serving our 5.7 million Malaysian homes and 23 million individuals via our pay TV and NJOI platforms with differentiated and compelling content," he said.

As part of its revenue diversification, Azmi said the group continues to leverage on its customer base to offer targeted marketing and advertising solutions enabled by data and analytics, to drive advertising and commerce revenue

"Revenue adjacencies such as commerce, adex, content licensing and theatrical sales are showing promising growth trajectory,” he said.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 26 2019, 07:36 PM
joshhd
post Mar 29 2019, 02:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

Astro Circle will say good bye this coming June 2019,and your existing unredeemed points will be forfeited after June.
We are coming up with something new, and it’s going to be exciting.

In preparation for a brand-new program, Astro Circle will be retiring and all unredeemed points will expire on June 1, 2019.

We encourage you to redeem your points now with the recommended offers as below.

For more information on the retirement, please refer to Astro Circle FAQ.
https://support.astro.com.my/get-rewarded-astro-circle.aspx

If there's nothing interests you to redeem on Astro Circle, then just redeem RM5 or RM10 Astro bill rebate, like me.
joshhd
post Mar 29 2019, 12:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

https://www.lowyat.net/2019/182041/malaysia...elevant-or-not/

Censorship, yes or no?
joshhd
post Mar 30 2019, 07:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(brandonkl @ Mar 30 2019, 01:57 PM)
Astro gone totally silent on UHD. They were very loud when they made the UHD announcement last year.

Maybe they make the announcement about UHD is just to impress their stakeholders first, then fully implement way later on.

Will the Malaysian market has high demand on UHD?
joshhd
post Apr 2 2019, 11:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,220 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Apr 2 2019, 06:36 PM)
If the Android boxes are pre-loaded with illegal TV and movie streaming, then they are lawfully wrong by doing so.
Copyright Act, remember? Illegal content can be prosecuted by law, doesn't matter old or new government enforcement. (although many people would opt to pirating content)

159 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.3340sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 9th December 2022 - 05:03 PM