190 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

joshhd
post Feb 15 2019, 01:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Mr Loh A+ @ Feb 15 2019, 11:58 AM)
Well, you're right. It applies to all kind of international acquired contents like the channels and the sporting events. For example, HBO is not exclusive to one TV provider in Indonesia because it has been currently carried by 8 TV providers. For your info, the same exclusive right for HBO has been broken in Singapore because Singtel TV has launched all 6 HBO family channels on their platform on 1st Feb 2019.  smile.gif

Yes. Starhub TV holds exclusive license with them for many years already, that's why Singtel TV customers can't get to enjoy HBO content, not until February 2019. Btw, I believe you read that Starhub TV ceases all channels from Discovery Networks last year, right? Those Discovery Channel, Discovery Asia, Discovery Science, Food Network,... all those already no more on Starhub TV, as they did not renew their agreement with Discovery Networks. http://www.starhub.com/business/support/tv...overy-faqs.html

Not just Singapore actually. Even Thailand's satellite pay TV, Truevision also ceases many Discovery Networks channels around 2017/2018. I wonder, is it because Discovery Networks has been demanding for more money from pay TV, or pay TV just can't no longer afford it due to their own financial issues?
Since this trend has happened, I wonder will this trend comes to Astro someday...? hmm.gif
joshhd
post Feb 15 2019, 02:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

The thing is, how Astro treat customers is like:
We pay money for your service, yet we get to see advertisements that is slotted in by Astro themselves (not from the original channel provider).
Pay TV service, but we get your service as if we pay very very dirt cheap subscription fees to you, and you use advertisements to increase revenue.

Example 1: You see the Ajax Fabuloso household cleaner advertisement on AXN channel on Astro.
Actually, AXN channel themselves don't air that ad. It is Astro slots in that ad during commercial breaks.

Example 2: Astro Best movies ad being aired on channels that are not owned by Astro, such as AXN, DIVA, National Geographic, etc. Actually, those channels mentioned, they themselves don't air those Astro Best ads. It is Astro slots in that ad during commercial breaks.

To make their TV advertisement team easier to do work, they purposely delay the original feed by 3, 5 or 10 minutes. That is why you see the programme start time, like this: 8.03pm, 10.35pm (supposed to start at 10.30pm, 8.40pm (supposed to start at 8.30pm).
Some programme starts at 7.55pm originally, so once adds on 5 minute delay from Astro, it becomes 8.00pm.
Meanwhile for international news channel, it is delayed by 2 minutes, like the news supposed to go Live on 6.00pm sharp, but on Astro, you see it's 6.02pm.

How to identify if the ad are slotted in by Astro, or not? Quite easy, but not necessarily apply to all channels.
Like for AXN, if you see that ad shows AXN logo, that mean it is originally broadcasts from AXN. The best example is usually Colgate ads.
If you don't see AXN logo on that particular ad, then it is very very likely that the ad is slotted in by Astro. It is commonly those Malaysian brands stuff.
Especially if that ad is in Malay language, in an English channel, then confirm is Astro slot in one lor...
joshhd
post Feb 16 2019, 12:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(tohff7 @ Feb 15 2019, 05:03 PM)
You got a few things wrong

1. For those less premium channels like AXN, the original feed also got advertisement. Depending on what is the arrangement between brand, AXN and Astro - Astro could air the original ads or swap it out with its own ads.

2. It's common for TV to promote or cross-sell their channels or programme.

3. Feed delay is common in order to comply with censorship law. Can't expect them to live feed Game of Thrones minute-by-minute right?
1. I did mention that:
Like for AXN, if you see that ad shows AXN logo, that mean it is originally broadcasts from AXN. The best example is usually Colgate ads.
I did not say original feed of the channel has no ads. There are certain advertisement brands where it is actually transmitted by original feed, common ones such as Trivago, Colgate, Darlie, etc. Not all premium channels are free from branded commercial. But do you think is a good thing from the customer's perspective, for Astro to slot in ads of their own, even the Astro customers are a paying customers? You think we pay money to Astro, besides to watch programmes, but also to watch advertisements that Astro in particular, want us to watch as well? Well you could say, oh yes it encourages consumers to spend more money in other ways (in Astro and out of Astro), increases consumer spending power. If that's the case, then Astro is not just a pay TV company. Astro is also an advertisement company, similar like Google. And yet, we don't pay anything to Google to get services because they depend on ads to survive.
Astro is like, using customer like a tool for them to earn more money and create win-win situation for both Astro and the business clients. From what I see, Astro is trying their very best to profiteer, make market share as big as possible, and then earn kaokao. We pay money, to watch advertisement. You see that? Astro's business model now is like, cheap pay TV provider where they also depend on ads to cover up their overall costs, yet how much you pay for your Astro per month to get better content? If you subscribe the very minimum Family pack only, or Njoi, then don't say la. Can't afford expensive rates? Well, you have the option to subscribe lesser packages, or get Njoi and watch lesser content lor. Simple. That's it. For Astro, it's nothing.
If Astro likes to slot in ads so much, then they better just make their Astro subscription to be very cheap and affordable, not by offering expensive rates packages (e.g Sports Pack could costs RM50+/month, depending on package subscription) and then let us watch more advertisements they want us to watch. And yet, they monopoly the pay TV market since 1996, so they can charge whatever rates they want because there's no active and strong pay TV competitor like Astro in Malaysia.
Unifi TV? Nah. No need to mention about that, if you know what I mean.

2. Cross-promote between own channel network is definitely common.
Example: Discovery Asia promotes a programme from Discovery Channel.

What I am referring is, Astro is the one who slot in/replace with their own ads. Astro is the one who "edit" the original feed into their own liking and preference, so it is no longer original anymore, like content tampering from original.

Example: DIVA show Astro Best movies ad.
Both DIVA and Astro Best are not related at all, it is obvious that Astro modify from the original feed.

Example: AXN channel on Astro airs an ad about a latest Korean drama airing on Oh!K (ch394), and then tell viewers to subscribe to Korean Pack at CH200.

AXN belongs to Sony Pictures Television (also same as Animax, One HD ch393,..), while Oh!K belongs to Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific (same as Cartoon Network, CNN,...). Both are two separate companies, it is very very unlikely till the point it is impossible they will cross promote at this manner. And if you see Astro's channel number on a corner of the screen during that ad, and later it tells you to subscribe this particular pack by going to Channel 200, then obviously it is slotted in by Astro. Because only Astro has the Self Service Portal at Channel 200, while other pay TVs don't have that. Did you thought of that?

3. What makes Malaysian's censorship law so special? Are we being close minded and sensitive, or it is just a certain group of people? Is delaying the feed are for the sake of censorship (is it true, or just an excuse?), or the main purpose is to benefit Astro to make them easier to slot in and replace ads that they want their viewers to watch?
Are you very sure that the original feed shows too much "nudity" as well as other serious of aged 18+ elements for the programme that is so not suitable for Malaysian audience until we need Astro to censor it, as if other countries pay TV that carries that channel, don't have their own censorship laws? Are you willing to pay money for that censored content? What makes Malaysian censorship laws so special then (applies during BN era, not very applicable for the gov now)?
Is it still relevant and justifiable in today's era, where people use more Internet than TV?
joshhd
post Feb 16 2019, 12:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(JuneResources @ Feb 15 2019, 04:31 PM)
This is the problem of TM that they removed the playstore.
It is almost become like Tiao Mao box already (which is no playstore also)..
I just wondering why unifi PlayTV ceased on ALL Fox channels (but only available for unifi TV)? If feel rugi, I guess no problem TM can shut down the IPTV and just only available for OTT.. But seriously can't understand why suddenly ceased of ALL Fox channels in OTT? If due to broadcast fees for OTT, then speechless for it.. dry.gif

Oh, I nearly forget of satellite internet.. Suddenly recovery my mind of the company "ConnectMe".
If astro can include satellite internet as well as payTV, then I guess high demand of rural area. whistling.gif

Another regarding for the TV Box, the new government want to enforce to ban for it.. So it is also hard to survive..
Astro got ceased on EVE channels... It is part of the Discovery network.
So it's just the time early or late only..

Anyway, I also like to watch especially Discovery Asia.. But too disappointed Discovery channel only for SD version.
But I though the most expensive should be National Geographic. It has a lot of program compare to Discovery...
I just wondering 1 thing.. Are you an advertising programmer?
Very details of the advertising...

Respect!! thumbsup.gif
But seriously can't understand why suddenly ceased of ALL Fox channels in OTT? If due to broadcast fees for OTT, then speechless for it.. dry.gif
I'm not sure exactly why, but it is expected that it is due to content rights on OTT platform. They have license to transmit the channel on IPTV, but that doesn't necessarily apply the same even to their own OTT platform, Unifi playTV.

If astro can include satellite internet as well as payTV, then I guess high demand of rural area. whistling.gif
Astro is like under Measat company, that uses Measat satellite.
Connectme is definitely under Measat company, that uses Measat satellite.
So errr.... Okay... Lol.

I just wondering 1 thing.. Are you an advertising programmer?
Very details of the advertising...
I don't work in this field, for now wink3.gif
But I do have knowledge in this field. Observe more during commercial breaks on Astro and you'll notice the differences.
joshhd
post Feb 16 2019, 12:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Mr Loh A+ @ Feb 15 2019, 05:12 PM)
Hmm... There's no delay for HBO (SD & HD) due to the agreement between Astro and HBO. The same practice has been applied by Dreamworks HD on Unifi TV. I think that HBO wants to maintain their channel's standard across multiple regions around the world by proving that they can premiere Game of Thrones SAME TIME AS THE US (aka WORLD PREMIERE).  smile.gif

I think la, HBO don't want pay TV providers to tamper their content.
They want it to be aired originally. If the pay TV provider want it their way, then they'll make it a dedicated feed, just like HBO on Astro.
HBO on Astro is Malaysia feed, not Asia feed.
joshhd
post Feb 16 2019, 10:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Feb 16 2019, 09:48 PM)

Astro to discontinue the SD version of Disney XD, left only the HD version available.
Well, that's another way to force people to pay more money to subscribe to HD.
joshhd
post Feb 17 2019, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(pokemon @ Feb 17 2019, 10:30 AM)
Assthrow should discontinue those duplicate channels in SD, like WLT, AEC, Supersport and etc, if they dare

That can only happen once Astro phase out all use of legacy Astro STBs, and only B.yond boxes are used.
The correct term is, SD/HD simulcast channels
Not duplicate channels.

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Feb 17 2019, 11:35 AM)
Well slowly they would do that..forced everyone to subscribe HD services... My take next 2 years...

During the introduction phase of B.yond HD box back in around 2010 era, it was compulsory to take HD service.
But now it's no longer the case. Using B.yond box not necessary must subscribe to HD service or Family HD pack.
Although yeah, Astro will encourage customer to take HD service, especially when promoting new packages and offerings.

In my opinion, Astro has no urgency to force every customers to use B.yond box. After all, it doesn't really benefit them much even though every customers use B.yond box. MPEG4 compression? MPEG4 quality does benefit customers cuz it is better picture quality, but it doesn't really benefit them much. Astro doesn't have any lack of satellite bandwidth problems. I do find that Astro's Ku band capacities are not so fully utilised, even though they still use MPEG2 for their SD channels until today.

And since the legacy STBs can still be used, customers be like "Why should I change? It can still be used and still in good condition. Change B.yond box means need to pay more."
So Astro will just let the legacy STB users continue using it until it spoil for whatever reasons, and then Astro replace it with new B.yond box. And then, convince them to take HD service, although it is optional now, as well as whatever attractive packages.

Once the number of legacy STB users has reached a new low (perhaps they planned that once it reached this low), then only they'll announce that they'll discontinue the use of all legacy STBs, and have to upgrade to B.yond box to continue watching Astro or Njoi. This, will be a forced migration to B.yond platform.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Feb 17 2019, 12:06 PM
joshhd
post Feb 18 2019, 11:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

Hi. Astro continuously reviews its content proposition to offer the best choices and a variety of compelling content for our customers for the best viewing experience in HD. In line with this, our customers on the Family HD Pack will receive two new HD channels at no additional cost: Nat Geo Wild HD (CH 570) and Asian Food Channel HD (CH 730) effective 1 March 2019 at 12:01am. To this end also, Disney XD (CH 617) will cease transmission starting 28 February 2019 at 11.59pm for Astro and also NJOI. Customers on the Family HD Pack can continue to enjoy Disney XD HD (CH 637). Customers can upgrade to HD services via CH 200, online self-service (www.login.astro.com.my) or email (wecare@astro.com.my). We apologise for any inconvenience caused
Source: https://www.facebook.com/Astro/posts/10156847732194627

28 Feb: Disney XD channel to be made available only in HD. SD version (CH 617) will be ceased for Astro and Njoi customers.
1 Mar: Nat Geo Wild and Asian Food Channel will be in simulcast SD and HD, which is CH 550/570 (HD) and CH703/730 (HD) respectively.

I hope Astro to "upgrade" more existing SD channels to be available in HD quality. It will be better if they just upgrade many channels at once lah.
Anyway, it's great to know that Nat Geo Wild soon will be available in HD on Astro.
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 12:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Feb 18 2019, 11:26 PM)
713 & 715 still waiting... whistling.gif

According to Quake, Nat Geo Wild and Asian Food Channel are one of the channels with quite high viewership among the English channels on Astro.
So it does make sense for them that they would upgrade to HD
As you can see the "Monthly Net Reach":
user posted image

user posted image

They would go for the ones that benefit more viewers; upgrade channels to HD that has high viewership.
If you're interested about these viewership stuff, visit http://quake.com.my/

This post has been edited by joshhd: Feb 19 2019, 12:05 AM
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 12:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Feb 19 2019, 12:12 AM)
Local TV also have high viewership, still no HD though. laugh.gif

Like I said before, it's up to the TV company whether they would pay extra money to Astro, or even MYTV to transmit their channel in HD.
For Media Prima, you can watch all their channels in HD quality on Tonton for free, no logins required. Although TV3 is the only HD channel available in DTT now.
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 12:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

user posted image
Ohh, no wonder Astro cease the SD version of Disney XD....
Because of high viewership, if Astro ceases SD version of the channel, making only the HD version available, this will "force" existing viewers (particularly, kids) to subscribe to Family HD pack / HD service.

Also according to Quake (http://quake.com.my), out of all kids channels (also known as GenNext segment) on Astro, Disney XD is the 2nd highest viewership kids channel on Astro.
Astro Ceria got the 1st place (7.69 mil Monthly Net Reach of average past 12 months).

I have to say: Astro, is really smart rclxms.gif

But wait, how many % difference of existing Disney XD viewers are watching the SD or HD version of the channel?
It could be because they find that majority of Disney XD viewers are already watching the HD version, so it seems make sense for them to cease the SD version and convince the minority of the viewers to watch it only in HD instead, or upgrade to HD, so that they can earn some profit a bit from there. hmm.gif

This post has been edited by joshhd: Feb 19 2019, 12:27 AM
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 01:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Feb 19 2019, 12:32 AM)
there goes 21% below 2k earning has to be forced to get HD.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Nice one
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 11:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Feb 19 2019, 09:27 AM)
Interesting info...
Didn't know the Disney channel gave high viewship...
I thought all kids watch online nowadays 😈

In my opinion, Disney XD got 2nd high viewership is because that channel is part of Family pack. Meaning, customers need not to pay more money (subscribe to Kids pack) to watch cartoons and kids programmes, as some parents may find that one cartoon channel like Disney XD is good enough.

Viewership for Disney Channel ch615 is not as high as Disney XD. They got around 2 mil plus average monthly net audience reach.

Seems like, a free channel (except Njoi) that shows great content can easily get high viewership.
joshhd
post Feb 19 2019, 12:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Feb 19 2019, 11:48 AM)
Seriously speaking the so called "free" channels actually we indirectly paying for it... Just that astro smart enough to make it like its free 😈😈 and they playing the game well...

Only selected high viewship channels slowly being upgraded to HD... While those low one get axed πŸ˜‘

Very true. That's how Astro do business. Free channel = Indirectly paid from the basic plan; Family pack.
High viewership, find ways to get more money from it.
Low viewership, bye bye. I don't want to see you here.

The concept is like, rich people will get richer, poor people will get poorer or nothing.
joshhd
post Feb 23 2019, 05:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Feb 23 2019, 11:23 AM)
user posted image
good bye Zee Tamil HD sad.gif

What the....? So fast?
I think this is the most short-lived channel ever had on Astro.
I wonder is it because viewership are too low, or did not meet their minimum expectations, or both? hmm.gif
joshhd
post Feb 26 2019, 11:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(pakji @ Feb 26 2019, 03:08 AM)
ohh Zee Tamil HD astro no longer i no problem i can watch Zee Tamil HD for video co m d2h hehehehe

Best Indian entertainment content are not from Astro la seriously, unless for those who want to watch some Malaysian Tamil shows.
Videocon d2h is still the best non-Malaysian satellite pay TV platform for Malaysian Indians. biggrin.gif
joshhd
post Feb 26 2019, 11:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(pakji @ Feb 26 2019, 12:17 PM)
yes of course but if low rain will signal not available  have wait till rain gone complete then wait 30min above then signal will be back normail

If signal reception is a concern, you may opt for bigger sizes.
Let say for Klang Valley, best minimum dish size is 90cm to receive Videocon d2h signals, but you can opt for bigger ones like 120cm for better reception and less prone to rain fade.
If you can hide the dish from being easily seen, let say after you upgrade to bigger size, then that will be better.
joshhd
post Mar 1 2019, 12:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(DeepMemory @ Feb 28 2019, 08:01 PM)
Guys, just install Astro SuperPack 3. Want to know is it normal for my Astro VOD and Astro on the GO need to wait 24 hours to activate?

Usually it is in instant. If you're still having trouble accessing to Astro Go, contact Astro customer service.
For On Demand content, make sure your PVR box is connected to your home Internet (Either by WiFi or LAN cable).
joshhd
post Mar 1 2019, 01:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

Starting today, this gonna make those kids feel pissed....
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

...and Indian customers who subscribed Samrat pack not long ago.

user posted image
joshhd
post Mar 2 2019, 12:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=191...11685240&type=3

Our channel partner, Zee TV, has informed us that Zee Tamil HD (CH 232) will no longer be available on Astro platforms effective 1 March 2019 at 12am (midnight). Rebates will be provided from 1 March 2019 until 30 April 2019 and will be reflected in customer’s next billing cycle. We regret any inconvenience caused and thank you for your support.
Another person commented:
Zee Tamil cease transmission because of copyright material problems and not licensed with Illegal regulations by TV provider, so this rules must be cease transmission with notice by Zee TV Networks to Astro
So it seems that, Zee want Astro to cease the channel, not the other way round.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 2 2019, 12:48 PM

190 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0263sec    0.36    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:36 AM