Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The Joker Origin, A Dark Knight Prequel

views

evanssophiya P
post Oct 30 2019, 12:56 PM

Probation
2 posts

I agree that Heath Ledger was the best Joker in the history of films about this hero. But we all know at what cost this role was given to him.
But it seems to me that the last movie about the Joker is simply out of competition with everyone else. There is a different plot, another reason for the Joker's hatred of society and the leading actor coped with the game more than worthily.
defaultname365
post Nov 5 2019, 11:14 AM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
1,097 posts

Can't compare Heath to Joaquin. Totally, totally different methodology/approach.

In fact, I went in watching this film not wanting to compare to Heath's performance (which yes, is still remarkable).

Heath <> Joaquin = both deserve the same standing ovation.

In terms of "filmic quality" - - TDK is indeed better than "Joker". But in terms of the actor portraying the crown prince - - both deserve equal praise. I refuse to say one is better than the other.

Joaquin is guaranteed IMO to get at least a Golden Globe Nomination for Best Actor while I'm hopeful for an Oscar nomination. An Oscar win may not happen as I've not seen the full field of contenders but a Golden Globe I think (since HFPA tends to favor popularity to some degree) is in the bag.

Joker will become the first R-rated film topping the huge $1 billion mark at the box office

user posted image

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/201...e/#28391d4b31bb

fter grossing $37 million internationally and $14 million domestically at the weekend box office, Warner Bros.’ super-villain origin tale Joker has amassed an impressive $934 million in global theatrical receipts. So it is now inevitable – Joker will become the first R-rated film topping the huge $1 billion mark at the box office.

It’s especially impressive that Joker will manage the $1 billion feat without a release in China, making it the first first-release film since 2008’s The Dark Knight to do so.

No China release and it is close to topping $1 billion + R-rated film. Wow.
skylinelover
post Nov 6 2019, 08:13 AM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,509 posts

Joker is legend in the making already laugh.gif rclxms.gif
defaultname365
post Nov 6 2019, 11:03 AM

1,097 posts

Stunning work, we take it for granted sometimes... but then again we shouldn't notice these as it should blend into our movie experience seamlessly.

gaeria84
post Nov 6 2019, 11:43 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(defaultname365 @ Nov 5 2019, 11:14 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

No China release and it is close to topping $1 billion + R-rated film. Wow.
Made with 70 million dollars only... probably among the most profitable movies ever made

*laughs at WB for thinking that DC characters are not bankable enough*

laugh.gif
ThalaFan
post Nov 6 2019, 01:39 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(gaeria84 @ Nov 6 2019, 11:43 AM)
Made with 70 million dollars only... probably among the most profitable movies ever made

*laughs at WB for thinking that DC characters are not bankable enough*

laugh.gif
I'd say it worked cuz it was "Joker" brand value + Joaquin Phoenix's magic.

Dare say no other MCU or DCEU' mc/villain/anti-hero-driven film could've made it as big as Joker did @ BO had not for those 2 aspects

This post has been edited by ThalaFan: Nov 6 2019, 01:40 PM
ThalaFan
post Nov 7 2019, 05:20 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(DavidClark0307 @ Nov 7 2019, 04:15 PM)
I honestly expected more
We share same sentiments I see. I wanted the makers to take bold & ballsy moves especially considering we are post-IW & Endgame. We expect makers to drive the film in directions that suprise the heck outta audience, catchin em completely off-guard...saying "Gotcha!" Dats part of the fun
skylinelover
post Nov 8 2019, 07:40 PM

All Stars
10,509 posts

QUOTE(defaultname365 @ Nov 6 2019, 11:03 AM)

Stunning work, we take it for granted sometimes... but then again we shouldn't notice these as it should blend into our movie experience seamlessly.
Hope he will run 4 the oscars next year rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
defaultname365
post Nov 11 2019, 10:47 AM

1,097 posts

Almost there...

user posted image

rclxms.gif

It seems WB Executives were surprised by the reception... laugh.gif
axxer
post Nov 12 2019, 05:14 AM

Banned
1,743 posts

Just watched the movie and hot damn Joaquin Phoenix are awesome, maybe even better than the late Heath ledger. Imho an Oscar nomination worthy.
Call me Boss P
post Nov 16 2019, 05:30 PM

Probation
11 posts

Watched, great actor
gaeria84
post Nov 18 2019, 02:49 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

Joker just hit one billion, without 3D and China

defaultname365
post Nov 18 2019, 03:27 PM

1,097 posts

Congrats $1 billion worldwide on a budget of $50-70 million

WB apparently split the production cost 3-way
https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-box-offi...s-profit-split/

Going by the general rule of thumb, a film needs to double its production budget at the box office in order to make its money back (covering marketing and distribution costs). Using that formula, Joker would be clear after grossing a measly $128 million globally. As of this writing, Joker has earned about $993.8 million, so it's turned approximately $865.8 million in profit from ticket sales (the film will earn even more money once it hits home media). It's unknown what kind of arrangement WB, BRON, and Village Roadshow worked out, but if they're to split the profits equally three ways, WB stands to receive around $288.6 million for their investment.

No wonder WB executives said they were surprised by the reception... how they wish they could have had it all! tongue.gif
yeelong
post Nov 20 2019, 05:41 PM

K for /K
1,218 posts

QUOTE(axxer @ Nov 12 2019, 05:14 AM)
Just watched the movie and hot damn Joaquin Phoenix are awesome, maybe even better than the late Heath ledger. Imho an Oscar nomination worthy.
JP has the whole movie while HL only have limited time in the batman movie. Both has their shares of greatness in their respective movies. But i still give slight upper hand to HL.
skylinelover
post Nov 21 2019, 12:52 PM

All Stars
10,509 posts

Haha nice

Finally R rated deserving PG13 icing on the cake

rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
gaeria84
post Nov 21 2019, 02:26 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

'Joker' Sequel in the Works as Todd Phillips Eyes More DC Origin Movies
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-visi...-movies-1256255

What more joker stories is there to tell, unless you bring in batman? And is it gonna be battinson, or another batman actor?

This post has been edited by gaeria84: Nov 21 2019, 02:31 PM
defaultname365
post Nov 21 2019, 06:08 PM

1,097 posts

Hmm... interesting. The film works best standalone, and if they were to spawn a sequel/sequels, it will make the film less powerful IMO.

Doing a sequel is basically an invitation for another DC character to appear... young Batman? I don't know.

The 'missing factor' in the Joker film is a hero, as in a "superhero". Can't really think of a good way to continue the Joker story with just Joker alone. Or perhaps the whole thing was in his mind and this time he really does it. hmm.gif
skylinelover
post Nov 22 2019, 07:42 AM

All Stars
10,509 posts

Haha deng

I just wish side character strong in sequel

If not its gonna flop hard
defaultname365
post Jun 9 2022, 09:25 AM

1,097 posts

Joker: Folie à Deux

user posted image

user posted image

For the subtitle, a very interesting read:
https://www.distractify.com/p/joker-folie-a-deux-meaning

What is the meaning of the 'Joker' sequel subtitle, "Folie à Deux"?
According to a 2005 study published in the Indian Journal of Psychiatry, the term "Folie à deux" is defined as "an identical or similar mental disorder affecting two or more individuals, usually the members of a close family."

But, when translated literally, Folie à deux means "madness for two."

With this in mind, fan theories are already circulating online as many have begun to discuss how Folie à deux's meaning could indicate potential storylines in the upcoming film. As of now, hundreds of fans are fully convinced that the "madness of two" translation suggests the one and only Harley Quinn will appear alongside the Joker.

"Folie à deux translates to "shared madness," so ... there's gonna be Harley Quinn in it ... that raises the question: Who will play her?" one fan shared on Twitter.

Another added, "They've gotta be doing a version of Harley Quinn; the subtitle Folie á Deux translates to "madness for two," and look at the colors: black and red." Honestly, we didn't even notice the black and red color scheme — that's very interesting.

On the other hand, another prominent fan theory states that folie à deux implies that there will be two Jokers in the film. It's official: We really need this to be the case! But who will play the other Joker? Well, look no further than Willem Dafoe.

8 Pages « < 6 7 8Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:01 PM