Weststar Maxus G10, Any owners here?

views

Castreal
post Jul 25 2018, 12:03 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(revolt @ Jul 24 2018, 11:09 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
I was told by a quite reliable KIA source that the current Holiday promo Grand Carnival are all sold out/booked. Next batch that comes in will be the new facelifted models. Which variant still unsure (maybe don't want to disclose yet). Whether it is subject to SST is still unknown.

The facelifted Kia Carnival in general gains a series of interior enhancements, more safety tech and an eight-speed automatic gearbox for its 3.3-litre V6.
- Reconfigured nose and bumper design, and a fresh headlight configuration with distinctive LED headlamps and “ice cube” fog-lights.
- Centre console featuring a wireless phone charging pad, sunglasses bin, and an electrically activated parking brake.
- Safety wise: autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and rear cross-traffic alert, lane keeping assist technology.

I would think with SST, this would probably cost around 200k cry.gif it's moving on to a separate category already, more luxurious category.

On the G10, the SE version do have quite some big differences compared to Exec, that's is why i thought it might be worth the price upgrade.
- Build and finish quality - cheap plasticky feel is what immediately comes to mind. I didn't really notice that to be honest, there are brands out there that cost more or less the same with plastiky parts. Estima for example, Vellfire to a certain extend still looks a bit cheap with the plastics. The G10 Exec variant does feel more luxurious in terms of the captain seats.
- Large boot (assume 7-seater configuration) Agree
- Sunroof & rear panoramic glass roofs a nice touch but wonder how the fabric shades will fare over time. i don't plan to use them as often, should be fine I guess.
- Like the 360 camera for what it does, but feels like 1st gen tech. The video quality is crap, i agree. but the way it stiches the 360 its done better than a lot of other models.
- Tire pressure monitoring another nice feature. I like this very much, my passat only warns me the pressure is low, doesn't tell me which tyre and what pressure.
- 220V power socket nice but hope it does not end up being some kind of hazard (again my reliability concerns). So far feedback from other owners, this is still fine, just don't overload it.
- Given all the kit on this car I'm surprised no auto chromatic rear view mirror and no power folding mirrors (SE). EXEC has power folding mirrors, didnt really notice the Chromatic tho
- Hardly the prettiest car on the road, does not stand out, does not make a statement (my own opinion). This looks so much better than Serena Hybrid and Biante, even Sharan to a certain extend. If you tint the rear passenger windows all black, it does make it look a bit Estima'ish rolleyes.gif
- I think resale will be poor given the stigma on Chinese cars. I think of it as a Conti Designed, Chinese manufactured car thumbup.gif

revolt
post Jul 25 2018, 11:10 PM

0 posts

Hey Castreal,

thanks for the info on the Carnival, so lots of additional tech with the facelift now I see why it could be worth the wait. And yes I was half expecting the current stock might be sold out judging from the atmosphere around the Kia showroom, so info from your source is no surprise.

And thanks for sharing your thoughts against each of mine, nice to know alternate views. On build and finish quality if you think it's not bad that might sway my opinion and I might see it in a different light now. My wife didn't think it was bad either and I was puzzled, so maybe its just me. With regards to looks its more a personal thing but I totally agree wrt Serena Hybrid, that thing has just got proportions wrong IMO. And if I had to be totally honest though the G10 is not too bad looking, certainly can live with it.
revolt
post Jul 25 2018, 11:49 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Fat & Fluffy @ Jul 25 2018, 12:16 AM)

Hi Fat & Fluffy,
thanks for sharing the video but it's one of the several reviews I've watched. Thanks anyway.
Fat & Fluffy
post Jul 25 2018, 11:58 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(revolt @ Jul 26 2018, 01:49 AM)
Hi Fat & Fluffy,
thanks for sharing the video but it's one of the several reviews I've watched. Thanks anyway.
i think its a good car... but wait for the new starex... i believe these both is better than a vellfire/alphard

Castreal
post Jul 26 2018, 12:35 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(revolt @ Jul 25 2018, 11:10 PM)
Hey Castreal,

Whether its worth the wait is one thing, price is the main concern! When it goes beyond 200k, its in a separate category already, at least for me.
Interior wise, if you had taken a look at Recon Estimas, you would know this has a better looking cabin biggrin.gif At this price range, the only competitor would be Starex & Grand Carnival. Both have good looking cabins, but for me Starex just screams "I'm a Van!" too much for me, and Grand Carnival, if they offer it at G10 Exec Price, I wouldn't mind (just no captain seats tho, but i'm the driver anyway).

For Serena, specs wise looks good (tho fake hybrid), but I really cannot look eye to eye at the MPV, let alone admit if I'm driving one puke.gif so taste wise on the same page for Serena.

So I saw a post in the Maxus G10 Owner FB Group that there is an owners meet up this Saturday. If really interested perhaps can drop by and ask for their experience & feedback. It's a bit far for me, but see how it goes.

QUOTE(Fat & Fluffy @ Jul 25 2018, 11:58 PM)
i think its a good car... but wait for the new starex... i believe these both is better than a vellfire/alphard

I'm not sure if its better than Vellfire/Alphard, price wise is a big difference! Can get 3 G10 with a brand new Alphard.
Just saw this video, seems that the facelifted model still looks a lot like a boxy van exterior wise, interior looks nice though.

This post has been edited by Castreal: Jul 26 2018, 12:37 PM
Fat & Fluffy
post Jul 26 2018, 01:09 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Jul 26 2018, 02:35 PM)
Whether its worth the wait is one thing, price is the main concern! When it goes beyond 200k, its in a separate category already, at least for me.
Interior wise, if you had taken a look at Recon Estimas, you would know this has a better looking cabin biggrin.gif At this price range, the only competitor would be Starex & Grand Carnival. Both have good looking cabins, but for me Starex just screams "I'm a Van!" too much for me, and Grand Carnival, if they offer it at G10 Exec Price, I wouldn't mind (just no captain seats tho, but i'm the driver anyway).

For Serena, specs wise looks good (tho fake hybrid), but I really cannot look eye to eye at the MPV, let alone admit if I'm driving one  puke.gif so taste wise on the same page for Serena.

So I saw a post in the Maxus G10 Owner FB Group that there is an owners meet up this Saturday. If really interested perhaps can drop by and ask for their experience & feedback. It's a bit far for me, but see how it goes.
I'm not sure if its better than Vellfire/Alphard, price wise is a big difference! Can get 3 G10 with a brand new Alphard.
Just saw this video, seems that the facelifted model still looks a lot like a boxy van exterior wise, interior looks nice though.
all vans la, nothing to shout about...

serena is a class below, the soft hybrid is to beat the eev import duty

Vellfire/Alphard high px tag is because they are brought in as a passenger car and with that big engine, most of the px you're paying is going to gov coffers

while g10 and starex is imported as commercial vehicles like pickup while serena is dodging it via eev
Castreal
post Jul 26 2018, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(Fat & Fluffy @ Jul 26 2018, 01:09 PM)
all vans la, nothing to shout about...

serena is a class below, the soft hybrid is to beat the eev import duty

Vellfire/Alphard high px tag is because they are brought in as a passenger car and with that big engine, most of the px you're paying is going to gov coffers

while g10 and starex is imported as commercial vehicles like pickup while serena is dodging it via eev
haha, ya all Vans la, people mover, soccer mom cars... just some more nicer looking van only.

TSMcF7y
post Jul 30 2018, 09:40 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

Hi Revolt,

Sincere apologies for the late reply. It's been an uncharacteristically busy week for me these last few days and while I did see your query much earlier, I just did not have the time to formulate a proper reply.

Anyway, thanks for your queries and I've answered them in bold below, I hope you are OK with that. I feel that it addresses your queries better.

QUOTE(revolt @ Jul 23 2018, 10:41 PM)
Hi McF7y

Hope this post finds you, your family, and your G10 in good health  smile.gif

Thanks for the inquiry and yes we are all in good health, including the G10 smile.gif

Seems this thread has gone quiet for a bit. Like some of the others here I had been looking at the G10 and stumbled upon this thread. After reading through however I noticed no one else apart from you appear to be G10 owners, at least from the line of questioning or feedback. Am hoping by now there are others reading this who are G10 owners who could also share their experience.

Anyway, my wife and I had viewed and test driven the car, so I have some idea of the features and what the car is like. We also looked at the Kia Grand Carnival, which would have been my choice (build quality, torquey engine, more established brand), but my wife is very 'sold' on the space the G10 has over the Carnival, so here I am.

So, if you could humour me a bit, I have few "concerns" and would love to hear if you have any opinion, knowledge or experience based on your 2-year or so (I infer) ownership thus far regarding the following: 

It has actually been a year and a couple of months now since I got the G10 (base model by the way, so no power doors, 360 camera etc). I remember that I got the car literally 4 days before Raya last year. I got it on a Wednesday evening after my dealer helped to get the windows tinted. We balik kampung on Friday and Raya was on Sunday. So I had two days to get accustomed to the car. It wasn't so bad of an adjustment especially coming from a Kia Forte.

- Overall reliability, durability, wear, how is it holding up, from a mechanical as well as interior fitment standpoint (are part failing, breaking, falling off, prematurely wearing, fading)

I'll give you the positives first before the negatives, if that's OK.

I've got to say that so far, I've not had major issues with the car at all, and even if it were the 'smaller' issues, I'd really be nit-picking. First of all, in terms of durability, the plastic used has stood up well to wear and tear. Most of the wear and tear that I notice anyway, is on the plastic used as the step to get in to the car. I mean, naturally everyone is stepping on it, like my kids etc so that gets quite a bit of wear. However, it's easily cleaned up and while it doesn't look like new, it doesn't look like a rag doll either. I mean, people come in and out of the car with their shoes, god knows what they're carrying under their feet like sand, small stone etc, it's sure to cause some scratches anyway. Other than that, I do not notice any other plastic parts fading or experiencing major wear and tear.

As for parts falling off or breaking, nil to be honest. Everything has stayed in its place since the day I bought it.

As for parts failing, this is where I have a comment but again, it's just a bit nit picky for me:

Reverse Camera Video Feed
6 months into owning the car, one day the reverse camera fails to work. The reverse sensor was still functioning because it was beeping as I reversed, but I had no video feed - just a black screen. At first, it felt inconvenient because I was just beginning to enjoy having the video feed (never had that on my Forte). I called the service centre up and they said it's not a quick fix because they had to check the entire connection, from the camera up to the LCD screen to figure out where it was failing. So I said OK, I'd have to find a weekend to send it over. Meanwhile, I just had to be extra vigilant while reversing. Then one day, before I had the chance to bring it in for checking, the video feed came back on. This has happened a few times since the first occurrence actually and I've sort of gotten used to it coming on and off. In fact, as of this typing, I had a few days where it went off again and just came back on last Thursday haha. Funny part is, I had sent it off for checking just 2 weekends ago and it was fine. So I do plan to have it sent in again but since it might take a whole day, I have to find a suitable weekend where we are not using the car.

Petrol Lid issue
This was an odd one which happened about 3 weeks back. I was rushing to a Raya open house and had to stop by to re-fuel. Lo and behold the petrol lid wouldn't open. Add a stressed wife + crying kids and you get a panicky husband haha. Good thing was that, my dealer who I must say is rather awesome, just before Raya, sent me an emergency contact list for various regions in Malaysia incase of anything. So i called the central region contact and he helped me resolve the situation for a short time. Basically I had to slide like a card under the lid to get it to open. It was a quick fix but it did not fix the entire problem - basically I had to keep doing that to get the petrol lid to open every time I wanted to re-fuel. I had to send it to the service centre to get it checked for a proper fix. Another issue is that there is a safety feature that when the petrol lid is open, the sliding door on that side of the car will not slide open. However because of the problem I was facing I thought that for some odd reason, the system read as if the petrol lid was open all the time so that door would not slide open. Again, it wasn't a major issue, I mean, there are two sliding doors anyways so the kids could enter from the other. Just a slight inconvenience is all. So when I had time to send it in to the service centre, they told me it would take at least a whole day, because they had to open the side panel from the inside to fix it. Turns out that there is a metal piece that pushes back when the petrol lid is open, and I think I might had closed the lid a bit too hard (prior to all this happening) which caused that metal piece to come loose and slide back further. So that is what stopped the petrol lid from opening and because it had slid back further, it also stopped the sliding door from opening. But the mechanic took half a day to fix it, not the whole day, that he had expected it would take. Plus he had time to check my reverse camera video feed while he was at it.

- After-market parts availability? Either accessories or 3rd party replacement parts? Not so much a concern but would like to hear if you had any experience in this area.

So far, it hasn't gotten to the point where I needed after-market or even original spare parts so I can't comment much about this. Although, if anyone is reading, I am looking for the SE type body kit if it's available. Also, just to add, Groovy Sunshades is selling the G10 kit too, but quite pricey. I plan to get them when there's some extra cash.

- Fuel consumption - approximately how far (and how many $$) does a full tank get you town driving and highway driving

Fuel consumption is definitely higher, albeit just slightly more than my Forte, but I average at about 13-15L per 100KM. A full tank which is about RM150-RM180 gets me about 475-500KMs. Definitely not as much a full tank on the hybrid Serena which I've seen can go up to 700++KMs on a full tank!!

- Cost of ownership - cost of servicing, parts pricing and availability

I bought mine (base model) for RM117K in 2017, I think it's cheaper now, and they even have a trade in program for the SE version. Cost of servicing, I've just finished my 3rd free service, so I'll find out at the end of the year how much exactly servicing will cost. I asked the mechanic last time and he said not more than RM500 if it's normal servicing. Does that sound average to you guys btw?

- Service center - professionalism, quality of work, overall customer experience. You earlier mentioned good experience with the Glenmarie service center, is this still your opinion today?

I've got nothing but good stuff to say about my experience at both the Jalan Tun Razak and Glenmarie (where I usually go) service centres. The Glenmarie one, especially that one guy is just so good with the car and good customer service, really attends to all my questions without complaints. It is still my opinion to this day as I had my petrol lid and reverse camera fixed by him...although maybe the reverse camera needs more work haha. I think you might also notice that Massimo bread uses their V80 vans and so do other government agencies so I think they have to maintain top notch service quality to remain in the government's good books hehe.

That's quite a load of questions there, so not expecting answers to all. I'd just be glad to hear whatever you have to share with your experience to-date.

I hope this answers most of your queries, I do apologise again that it took me a week to get back to you. Let me know if you have other questions. I also see that many others have experience with the car, so that's a good sign. And thanks for sharing the FB group thing, I didn't think to check FB for an owner's group.

Thank you in advance.
myteam94
post Jul 30 2018, 04:27 PM

Casual
400 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Jul 30 2018, 09:40 AM)
Hi Revolt,

Sincere apologies for the late reply. It's been an uncharacteristically busy week for me these last few days and while I did see your query much earlier, I just did not have the time to formulate a proper reply.

Anyway, thanks for your queries and I've answered them in bold below, I hope you are OK with that. I feel that it addresses your queries better.
Thanks for your honest experience

actually, i went to test their Exec model and i fell in love with it compared to Nissan Serena hybrid

i mean you got more the packaged then Serena

not keen for carnival because no captain seat sweat.gif sweat.gif

regarding the driving experience, i do agree on it. the power came a bit late after stop n go traffic

i notice something on their reverse cam

the backup reverse camera screen looks dated but their 360* look clear/okay to me

weird, tho

going to inquire more details regarding trade-in value and discount for the Exec with the SA. thumbup.gif
learnyee
post Aug 21 2018, 06:46 PM

24 posts

ok I actually went and view the car in Isuzu service center near puchong, but I think the sales man just not competent enough to sell us the car, e.g. he said the car is FF, and not sure on what interior color options, etc.

ok nevertheless, I am interested in the car, and just wish to ask this:
1. The Exec version, does the interior has the black or brown color version
2. The Exec version, can the 3rd row seat fold up?
3. The SE version, someone mentioned that the 4th row of seat can be taken off and the 2nd and 3rd row can be folded down all the way totally flat, is it correct?
4. What is the different between the SE and the EXEC version that makes it so much different in price.

Anyone interested to sell me the car can PM me.
jlkh760830
post Aug 22 2018, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
260 posts

QUOTE(learnyee @ Aug 21 2018, 06:46 PM)
ok I actually went and view the car in Isuzu service center near puchong, but I think the sales man just not competent enough to sell us the car, e.g. he said the car is FF, and not sure on what interior color options, etc.

ok nevertheless, I am interested in the car, and just wish to ask this:
1. The Exec version, does the interior has the black or brown color version
2. The Exec version, can the 3rd row seat fold up?
3. The SE version, someone mentioned that the 4th row of seat can be taken off and the 2nd and 3rd row can be folded down all the way totally flat, is it correct?
4. What is the different between the SE and the EXEC version that makes it so much different in price.

Anyone interested to sell me the car can PM me.
Bro ,, actually the Maxus G10 was a FR engine..
About the above questions .. here's the answer ..

1) The Exec version, does the interior has the black or brown color version = No

2) The Exec version, can the 3rd row seat fold up?
= Yes

3) The SE version, someone mentioned that the 4th row of seat can be taken off and the 2nd and 3rd row can be folded down all the way totally flat, is it correct?
= Yes ,, the 4th seat can be taken off with unplug certain screw nut.. & for 2nd + 3rd row can be folded down flat if unplug the headrest.

4) What is the different between the SE and the EXEC version that makes it so much different in price.
= The different about Maxus G10 SE & Executive model was only about the 2nd row pilot seat (with massage features) + 3rd rear power boot (with leg sensor) + premium leather seat (with 7 seat row for extra spaces)

Other then that, nothing much different about SE model & Executive model ..
The engine will be the same , 360 degree camera are same ,
Accept the interior colour are different ,, ...

My personal opinion,, about the price wiise ,, G10 SE model (CKD) are looking at RM 147k ++ & G10 executive model (CBU) are looking at RM 175k ++ .. so if I was in your foot , I'll be choosing the G10 SE model,, why ?

Because I can fully utilize the 10 seat which given by the spec , and just incase if need to travel outstation and not so much passager ,, I would take out the 4th row seat for better spaces luggages use ..
In terms of price ,, about G10 SE and Executive model , which is definitely G10 SE model are saving about RM 30k ++ ..

So why should I've to spend extra , as in terms of I've an option to save my monthly installment ...

Bro ,, if you really interested about test drive or for more explanation ,, check out your inbox .. I shall PM my contact number for u ..
And thx for appreciate Maxus G10 ...

jlkh760830
post Aug 23 2018, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
260 posts

Nice meter cluster with multiple info for Maxus G10

user posted image

Now bad for 360 degree camera display Maxus G10

user posted image

ninja888
post Jun 25 2019, 10:41 AM

12 posts

Hi All,

I’d like to know some info about the Entertainment system in the Maxus G10 SE, specifically:

(A) Does it have the ability to plug in an aux source (HDMI?) to watch on the back screen?
(B) Is there the ability to use Android Auto or Apple Car with the entertainment system?
© if no to the above, are there any recommended aftersales upgrades to support (A) or (B)?

Thanks!
hansomyy25
post Mar 3 2021, 12:19 AM

3 posts

Any maxus g10 user got solution for front and rear monitor (infotainment) work independently? I would like to use waze tgru carplay and at the same time watch movies at the rear screen
VictorKeong
post Apr 15 2021, 07:45 PM

On my way
599 posts

Hey TS how is your car holding up?
How is the car after 3years of ownership? Any major issues?
I just went and test drove the executive variant,
My fam loved the pilot seats.
But I dont think i will purchase new.
Saw couple of ads, people selling the Executive for around 120-130k..
might wait for 1-2more years, then only purchase haha.
I dont mind secondhand.
VictorKeong
post Apr 15 2021, 07:46 PM

On my way
599 posts

QUOTE(ninja888 @ Jun 25 2019, 11:41 AM)
Hi All,

I’d like to know some info about the Entertainment system in the Maxus G10 SE, specifically:

(A) Does it have the ability to plug in an aux source (HDMI?) to watch on the back screen?
(B) Is there the ability to use Android Auto or Apple Car with the entertainment system?
© if no to the above, are there any recommended aftersales upgrades to support (A) or (B)?

Thanks!
I went test drive the other, they use a USB and aux cable to connect to the screen behind, and i heard that there is a new software update for the player to support Apple carplay
deviloeg
post Sep 22 2023, 11:21 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Jul 6 2017, 09:02 AM)
Hello all,

Anyone here bought and/or using the Weststar Maxus G10?

I am asking because I actually just bought one and I am looking for a support group or car club to share stories or experiences.

Pleased to hear feedback from all.
Hi Bro, after 6 years, I am here and i found this is the only topic for Maxus G10, how was the car after you owned it for 6 years?
Any common or annoying issue u faced?

I am currently driving an old 2008 Estima and I am tired of the small accessories issue since it is a 15 years old car.
Estima is actually a good & comfort car and I only use it as weekend and balik kampung car but I think is time to change it while it still worth some value.

Planning to sell it and get 40k cash and top up abit to get another used MPV because my family is big, and we always use it for luggage and camping gears.
Did alot of research and shortlisted the Nissan Serena C26 and this Maxus G10 (2015+-)

After talking to a foreman, he shake his head and arm together after i ask about the Serena. "CVT banyak teruk oh boss!"
Maxus G10 he say he duno because it was quiet rare to his workshop.

So, I think you should be the 1 i should ask if you still recommend this car? in term of Fuel consumption, Parts availability, Common issues, and did it broke down in these 6 years of owning experience?

Thanks if you still saw my question and give me a reply bro.
deviloeg
post Sep 22 2023, 03:04 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Jul 30 2018, 09:40 AM)
Hi Revolt,

Wow Bro, i think you have answered almost all the questions i have in my mind.
I am also looking for a 2nd hand MPV and came down to Serena and G10, the thing that serena attract me is is is Japan car and the fuel consumption, also the accessories inside like the build in sunshade. BUT a foreman told me "Jangana boss, CVT tu byk problem dkt Serena, ribu2 ringgit habis kalo rosak"

So, the final choice would be the Chinese G10, yes the word Chinese is really worrying for me, but after seeing all the comments here, i would say it really relieved me abit.

Wanna ask 1 questions about the spareparts. do u face any parts rosak? and find it hard/expensive to get the original replacement?
I was an Estima owner and the Estima parts was superb easy to find and their are many choice to choose from if you have budget issue.

But for G10, would it be hard to find aftermarket parts? Original part from service center I foresee will quite pricy.

the final question also is, RECOMMENDED or NOT RECOMMENDED to get 1 used G10 year around 2014-2015?

thanks.
TSMcF7y
post Sep 23 2023, 05:58 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(deviloeg @ Sep 22 2023, 03:04 PM)
Wow Bro, i think you have answered almost all the questions i have in my mind.
I am also looking for a 2nd hand MPV and came down to Serena and G10, the thing that serena attract me is is is Japan car and the fuel consumption, also the accessories inside like the build in sunshade. BUT a foreman told me "Jangana boss, CVT tu byk problem dkt Serena, ribu2 ringgit habis kalo rosak"

So, the final choice would be the Chinese G10, yes the word Chinese is really worrying for me, but after seeing all the comments here, i would say it really relieved me abit.

Wanna ask 1 questions about the spareparts. do u face any parts rosak? and find it hard/expensive to get the original replacement?
I was an Estima owner and the Estima parts was superb easy to find and their are many choice to choose from if you have budget issue.

But for G10, would it be hard to find aftermarket parts? Original part from service center I foresee will quite pricy.
the final question also is, RECOMMENDED or NOT RECOMMENDED to get 1 used G10 year around 2014-2015?

thanks.
Bro, man you know I haven't logged in Lowyat in ages, and the first time I logged in after maybe a year or so your message comes in...talk about good timing hehe.

I can't remember the contents of my original reply but I'm glad it answered all your questions biggrin.gif

Just bear in mind my model is the 2017 Base Model Variant yeah bro...so no bells and whistles hehe.

Actually, to be honest I think there are far more experienced G10 users here that can probably answer your questions in more detail, actually there's a telegram group you can join and they're very helpful especially to new buyers/potential buyers.

To answer your question from the most recent post, if you are looking for something with size and on a budget (as compared to Alphard/Vellfire/Staria/Starex) I'd say go for a G10. When I made the decision, I was also wary about it being a Chinese car, but because Weststar is the company behind it I had more confidence.

I also considered roadtax/insurance issues, the other MPVs I mentioned like Alphard and Starex have a bigger CC and the road tax would be above my budget.

About spare parts, honestly I haven't faced any major issues yet thankfully. I just changed my brake pads for the first time in May of this year (bear in mind I've had the car for 6 years now) last month I just did the 80K+ servicing and the foreman said he was surprised all my engine parts were still original and I haven't changed them yet. Only issue I've had for the past year is my left front LED all day running lights went bust last year and I haven't been able to replace them yet. Just recently in the telegram group they were talking about it as well and some were saying it almost costs 2K to change the LEDs..so perhaps that's something to think about too. But I'm waiting for others to contribute, maybe there are some after market ones which are cheaper.

One thing I was surprised is, and this is anecdotal at best, but back in February I was meeting a friend and picked him up in the G10. It was the first time he had been in one and he was surprised I've had it for 6 years because he didn't hear the usual creaky sounds (like doors, and joints making sounds etc.) you'd get from a old-ish car.

Honestly, my G10 has served me well, I have a fairly big family and we were living in Camerons for the past 4 years (just moved back to PJ) and we had no issues climbing up and down the mountain. We've gone to Singapore several times, Langkawi twice etc. just got back from Cherating yesterday..thankfully, all these trips no breakdowns whatsoever, my battery died on me while I was in Singapore last year but you can't predict battery issues I think? If I'm not wrong, I also mentioned previously that my seating configuration is 7 seats as opposed to 10 seats because we want the boot space..and it's huge when you remove the last row.

In short, I'd say go for it, but if you have a bigger budget, get a new one or a more recent used one, maybe 2020 and above model.

Hope this helps bro biggrin.gif
amscouzach57
post Sep 24 2023, 11:05 AM

Casual
420 posts

QUOTE(McF7y @ Sep 23 2023, 05:58 PM)
Bro, man you know I haven't logged in Lowyat in ages, and the first time I logged in after maybe a year or so your message comes in...talk about good timing hehe.

I can't remember the contents of my original reply but I'm glad it answered all your questions  biggrin.gif

Just bear in mind my model is the 2017 Base Model Variant yeah bro...so no bells and whistles hehe.

Actually, to be honest I think there are far more experienced G10 users here that can probably answer your questions in more detail, actually there's a telegram group you can join and they're very helpful especially to new buyers/potential buyers.

To answer your question from the most recent post, if you are looking for something with size and on a budget (as compared to Alphard/Vellfire/Staria/Starex) I'd say go for a G10. When I made the decision, I was also wary about it being a Chinese car, but because Weststar is the company behind it I had more confidence.

I also considered roadtax/insurance issues, the other MPVs I mentioned like Alphard and Starex have a bigger CC and the road tax would be above my budget.

About spare parts, honestly I haven't faced any major issues yet thankfully. I just changed my brake pads for the first time in May of this year (bear in mind I've had the car for 6 years now) last month I just did the 80K+ servicing and the foreman said he was surprised all my engine parts were still original and I haven't changed them yet. Only issue I've had for the past year is my left front LED all day running lights went bust last year and I haven't been able to replace them yet. Just recently in the telegram group they were talking about it as well and some were saying it almost costs 2K to change the LEDs..so perhaps that's something to think about too. But I'm waiting for others to contribute, maybe there are some after market ones which are cheaper.

One thing I was surprised is, and this is anecdotal at best, but back in February I was meeting a friend and picked him up in the G10. It was the first time he had been in one and he was surprised I've had it for 6 years because he didn't hear the usual creaky sounds (like doors, and joints making sounds etc.) you'd get from a old-ish car.

Honestly, my G10 has served me well, I have a fairly big family and we were living in Camerons for the past 4 years (just moved back to PJ) and we had no issues climbing up and down the mountain. We've gone to Singapore several times, Langkawi twice etc. just got back from Cherating yesterday..thankfully, all these trips no breakdowns whatsoever, my battery died on me while I was in Singapore last year but you can't predict battery issues I think? If I'm not wrong, I also mentioned previously that my seating configuration is 7 seats as opposed to 10 seats because we want the boot space..and it's huge when you remove the last row.

In short, I'd say go for it, but if you have a bigger budget, get a new one or a more recent used one, maybe 2020 and above model.

Hope this helps bro  biggrin.gif
Does Weststar sell used G10 units as well?

I heard they have buy back program. It this true?

6 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0221sec    0.85    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:22 AM