Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Singapore V20, All About Living in The Little Red Dot

views

knwong
post Feb 6 2024, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,951 posts

QUOTE(Blackdawn @ Nov 22 2023, 11:33 AM)
just curious got for those who work in Singapore but stay in JB, normal working hour (9-5) and daily commute to SG via car.

How was your experience and any tips or concerns that i should be considering?

other than tiredness from driving, i will get
- more money and savings
- bigger house
- better food
- no NS for my son
- int school for my son than sg gov school (not to say not good but i don't like the competitiveness there)
- better places to go during weekend
- more money and savings

and i can also consider renting a room in SG and go back only during weekends, if i am really too tired.

want to hear from all perspective.
This has been a quiet thread, unlike the old days. Thought about this thread because someone PM me asking about daily commuting

Anyway assuming your family all stay in JB the savings allow you to travel overseas more frequent

You can continue to pressure your kids to be competitive academically so they can emerge top in their school. For the same effort in SG they probably only turn out mediocre (due to competitiveness there)
bengang15
post Feb 13 2024, 09:25 AM

Getting Started
128 posts

Hi guys,

do you have any suggestion for Children account in Singapore that gives better interest rates?
plouffle0789
post Feb 27 2024, 09:22 AM

Regular
1,031 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Feb 6 2024, 11:30 AM)
This has been a quiet thread, unlike the old days. Thought about this thread because someone PM me asking about daily commuting

Anyway assuming your family all stay in JB the savings allow you to travel overseas more frequent

You can continue to pressure your kids to be competitive academically so they can emerge top in their school. For the same effort in SG they probably only turn out mediocre (due to competitiveness there)
May I know do you know hdb MOP 5 years how to calculate?

Curent i live in a hdb.

I check website of iporperty is built 2018.

But my houseowner said not yet MOP finish.

Is it maybe she is on oversea or actually she take keys at 2019?

Vemily
post Feb 28 2024, 07:24 PM

8 posts

Anyone experienced taking on 1 year contract job, are the chances of converting to permanent high?
What if cannot convert to permanent after contract period and cant find the next job immediately, this means I will need to leave SG during the gap before I move onto the next job?
VinluV
post Feb 29 2024, 01:49 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(Vemily @ Feb 28 2024, 07:24 PM)
Anyone experienced taking on 1 year contract job, are the chances of converting to permanent high?
What if cannot convert to permanent after contract period and cant find the next job immediately, this means I will need to leave SG during the gap before I move onto the next job?
after 6 months you should know if your contract will either renew, extend, or convert.
You need to track and check with your bosses and Reporting Officer, and normally you will get some months notice if contract will not extend past the 1 year.

what can happen is your contract is not extended and the recruitment agency doesnt want to keep you, then you will be issued a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass which will allow you to prepare your next move.
Vemily
post Feb 29 2024, 02:43 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Feb 29 2024, 01:49 PM)
after 6 months you should know if your contract will either renew, extend, or convert.
You need to track and check with your bosses and Reporting Officer, and normally you will get some months notice if contract will not extend past the 1 year.

what can happen is your contract is not extended and the recruitment agency doesnt want to keep you, then you will be issued a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass which will allow you to prepare your next move.
I see, thank you for your detailed explanation. notworthy.gif
HP Computer
post Mar 8 2024, 09:29 AM

Getting Started
168 posts

QUOTE(VinluV @ Feb 29 2024, 02:49 PM)

I am an EP holder with permanent employment (no end date on my contract) currently.

I forsee my company may restructure this year so I am abit worried.

There are contract roles opportunities. Wonder any differences between contract vs permanent roles in SG? Is it normal in SG to accept contact role?

My understanding is unlike Msia, SG employer can ask a employee to leave anytime be he/she is contract or permanent staff.

This post has been edited by HP Computer: Mar 8 2024, 03:43 PM
VinluV
post Mar 9 2024, 05:09 PM

Regular
1,946 posts

QUOTE(HP Computer @ Mar 8 2024, 09:29 AM)
I am an EP holder with permanent employment (no end date on my contract) currently.

I forsee my company may restructure this year so I am abit worried.

There are contract roles opportunities. Wonder any differences between contract vs permanent roles in SG? Is it normal in SG to accept contact role?

My understanding is unlike Msia, SG employer can ask a employee to leave anytime be he/she is contract or permanent staff.
There are many topics online, both have its own pros and cons.
https://www.michaelpage.com.sg/advice/caree...hich-better-you
However you should know your own situation.

permanent roles usually have more benefits compared to contract.
In contract role, you may have to earn your annual leave, and insurance may only be general insurance based on a pay first claim later.

My advice is to stick with your current role, and continue searching for greener grass.
modlingguntio
post Mar 12 2024, 12:10 AM

26 posts

my PR reentry permit gonna expired at 19 Jun 2024, my SG salary until 31 August 2023 and bonus at 1 Jan 2024. if i renew my PR reentry permit through MYICA after 19 March 2024 ( 3 months before expiry date) will i get 5 years reentry permit or less than that? btw i living in MY since April 2023.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0236sec    0.19    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 PM