Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Diets & Supplements Where to buy good peanut butter in bulk?, without hydrogenated olein

views

kutitata
post Feb 21 2017, 04:51 PM

Casual
322 posts

how about steffi's delight peanut butter
Npad
post Feb 21 2017, 05:07 PM

Casual
356 posts

QUOTE(jeyakumar @ Feb 21 2017, 04:24 PM)
I contacted Smuckers that makes Adam's Natural Peanut Butter but they said they don't export to Malaysia which is weird because I see it in Jaya Grocers. I asked Smuckers and they said they can't verify so there is a possibility what is sold in Malaysia is actually counterfeit Adam's Peanut Butter with their label or imported without the knowledge of Smuckers Corp!!

I also contacted Jaya Grocers / Trendcell Sdn Bhd and they said they don't distribute Adam's Peanut Butter in carton meaning I can't buy in bulk from them.

I think my family maybe 2-4 tablespoons per person per day. 20g per tablespoon * 3 spoons * 4 person * 30 days = 7.2kg. So 7.2kg per month. Then sometimes friends come so can easily round up to 8kg per month. Yeah, you can see how the more than RM400/month cost starts to affect me.

The other option is Yogood brand (Shyan Trading from Shah Alam). But I'm very suspicious of them. I contacted them and asked if they have verified they do not use hydrogenated palm oil and their email response was "The manufacturer has informed us that they do not use hydrogenated oils in the peanut butter.". I don't see any separation in their peanut butter and the taste sometimes tastes like peanut spread. So I feel suspicious because even their email response is something like, ah, the manufacturer guy told us no hydrogenated oil, so not our problem. But I feel like since the manufacturer doesn't even have their own brand, they aren't someone who can be trusted 100%.
I have nothing of value to add but I just want to say, wow. That is a lot of peanut butter. Up to 4 tablespoon a day, up to 400 kcal a day. I'm impressed. That's a super easy source of calories. I'll keep that in mind for my next bulking period. I'll just eat at maintenance and add 2 PB sandwiches. BAM, 400kcal surplus, not including the bread itself.
TSjeyakumar
post Feb 21 2017, 05:24 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(kutitata @ Feb 21 2017, 04:51 PM)
how about steffi's delight peanut butter
Good point. I think I saw in Tesco. I feel like I remember seeing the ingredient list show hydrogenated palm oil or maybe something like "permitted food conditioner" which I'm not sure about. Sometimes people hide hydrogenated palm oil behind terms like that. The problem is labeling. Here's FDA rules:

"
When the Nutrition Facts label lists “0 grams trans fat” for the food, does that mean the food contains no trans fat whatsoever? Not necessarily. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows food companies to list the amount of trans fat as “0 grams” on the Nutrition Facts panel if the amount of trans fat is less than 0.5 grams per serving

What does it mean when the Nutrition Facts label lists “0 grams trans fat” for the food but “partially hydrogenated oil” (a source of trans fats) is listed as an ingredient? FDA regulations state that the label value should be zero if a fat is contained at less than 0.5 grams per serving. This allows for accuracy despite limitations in detection methods. Sometimes a product contains partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, but the Nutrition Facts label lists “0 grams trans fat”. This usually means that the partially hydrogenated vegetable oil used contains minor amounts of trans fat and/or is used in small amounts.

One example is using partially hydrogenated oil in a seasoning. When an ingredient is used in very small amounts, you can tell because it appears toward the end of the ingredient statement. Just note that if you eat several servings from a package that declares “0 trans fat” and partially hydrogenated oil is included on the ingredient list, it is possible to exceed your daily limit of trans fats.
"

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLivin...pName=MobileApp

I couldn't figure out who is the manufacturer of Steffi's Delight. If we contact them, then we can know for sure.
Studio15
post Feb 21 2017, 06:45 PM

Getting Started
159 posts

QUOTE(jeyakumar @ Feb 21 2017, 04:24 PM)
I contacted Smuckers that makes Adam's Natural Peanut Butter but they said they don't export to Malaysia which is weird because I see it in Jaya Grocers. I asked Smuckers and they said they can't verify so there is a possibility what is sold in Malaysia is actually counterfeit Adam's Peanut Butter with their label or imported without the knowledge of Smuckers Corp!!

I also contacted Jaya Grocers / Trendcell Sdn Bhd and they said they don't distribute Adam's Peanut Butter in carton meaning I can't buy in bulk from them.

I think my family maybe 2-4 tablespoons per person per day. 20g per tablespoon * 3 spoons * 4 person * 30 days = 7.2kg. So 7.2kg per month. Then sometimes friends come so can easily round up to 8kg per month. Yeah, you can see how the more than RM400/month cost starts to affect me.

The other option is Yogood brand (Shyan Trading from Shah Alam). But I'm very suspicious of them. I contacted them and asked if they have verified they do not use hydrogenated palm oil and their email response was "The manufacturer has informed us that they do not use hydrogenated oils in the peanut butter.". I don't see any separation in their peanut butter and the taste sometimes tastes like peanut spread. So I feel suspicious because even their email response is something like, ah, the manufacturer guy told us no hydrogenated oil, so not our problem. But I feel like since the manufacturer doesn't even have their own brand, they aren't someone who can be trusted 100%.
That's quite alot of peanut butter consumption per person to be honest. I mean given that your family also consumes other fat sources in a day i.e oils in prepared food, snacks etc. It's quite unhealthy to overeat on fats so even if you're looking for the best quality it kind of defeats the health reasoning at the end of the day. 1-2 tbsp is fine for average people but 3-4 sounds abit much if you're consuming a regular diet with other fats. One of the ways you can consider is to limit that much intake of peanut butter so your cost isnt sky high just on a peanut butter. On a side note, there's this powdered peanut butter called PB2 which I think isn't available here locally but I believe but you can ship from overseas websites such as iherb, their direct site or something. It doesnt contain any oils because it's powdered form, people mainly use it for baking or adding to drink etc but i've also seen some mix it with liquids and use it as a spread. You can look into this and see if it helps coz i'm not exactly sure how much it costs.
lingleeyen
post Feb 21 2017, 09:34 PM

Regular
1,376 posts

That is some great extend of effort to get PB man. RM 9.40 for 1 kg of peanut is cheap ir not I dont know. I dont really mind of the price fluctuation but 1kg of peanut makes alot of PB.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0113sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:34 PM