Casual
375 posts

If bijan in askar will u laff?
MKLMS
post Mar 2 2016, 12:50 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(azriel @ Mar 1 2016, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE(azriel @ Mar 1 2016, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 1 2016, 03:46 PM)
‘We will participate’: Saudi military admits US coalition mulling ground invasion in Syria

user posted image
https://www.rt.com/news/334048-saudi-syria-ground-invasion/
QUOTE(KYPMbangi @ Mar 1 2016, 05:51 PM)
Su-25 fighter jet crashes in Russia’s south, pilot dies

user posted image
[sos]
QUOTE(azriel @ Mar 1 2016, 06:05 PM)
Constructions progress of the Indonesian Navy 2nd Sigma PKR 10514 at PT PAL facility. Credit to Putora Habib Kurniawan.

user posted image
QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 1 2016, 06:10 PM)
HOUTHI FORCES CAPTURE OVER 100 SAUDI TROOPS IN YEMEN

user posted image

On Monday, the fighters loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement captured 71 soldiers in the area of the Ma’rib city. 30 Saudi troopers were captured in the same area on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Yemenis also targeted the Saudi-held Sahn al-Jin military base with missiles. Dozens Saudi-led fighters have been killed.

The Yemen forces conduct these attacks in retaliation for Saudi air strikes which inflict a serious damage to the Yemen’s infrastructure and casualties among civilians.

SouthFront: Analysis & Intelligence remembers on Feb.26 Saudi warplanes arrived at Turkey in order to support the Turkish plans to conduct military operations in Northern Syria. Now, Saudi Arabia is in the situation of a war on two fronts, officially. Considering Saudi Arabia is involved in a dragged-out war without any success in Yemen, the attempt to open a new front in Syria puts additional economic and political pressure on the kingdom. Thus, Saudi Arabia faces a real threat to lost a significant part of its influence in the region.

http://southfront.org/houthi-forces-captur...roops-in-yemen/
QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 1 2016, 06:41 PM)
China Security: China’s Strategy to Bar Other Nations From Disputed Waters Is Nearly Complete

user posted image
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1979371-ch...early-complete/
QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 1 2016, 07:06 PM)
Russia Achieves Tactical Success In Middle East, But No Strategic Victory – Analysis

user posted image
http://www.eurasiareview.com/01032016-russ...ctory-analysis/
QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 1 2016, 09:04 PM)
Egypt wants to produce 5th generation communication systems jointly with Russia

user posted image
http://tass.ru/en/economy/859828
QUOTE(azriel @ Mar 1 2016, 09:13 PM)
atreyuangel
post Mar 2 2016, 01:01 AM

Casual
398 posts

Selamat Hari Tentera Darat guys!

remember the LD1313 as well.
MKLMS
post Mar 2 2016, 01:13 AM

4 posts

LAWATAN KAPAL PERANG DARI JAPAN MARITIME SELF DEFENCE FORCE (JMSDF)

Kota Kinabalu, 25 Feb 16 – Pangkalan TLDM Kota Kinabalu (PTKK) telah menerima lawatan operasi dari Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) iaitu JS AKEBONO (DD 108), JS YAMAYUKI (DD 129) dan JS HATAKAZE (DD 171).

user posted image
Ketibaan kapal JS AKEBONO (DD-108) dan JS YAMAYUKI (DD-129) di jeti operasi PTKK

user posted image
Ketibaan kapal JS HATAKASE (DD-171) di jeti operasi PTKK

Ketiga-tiga kapal tersebut dari Kelas Destroyer. Lawatan Operasi ini dilaksanakan mulai 25 hingga 28 Feb 16. Ketiga-tiga Kapal JMSDF telah berlabuh di Jeti PTKK pada 25 Feb 16 jam 9.00 pagi. Pihak TLDM dan JMSDF telah mengkoordinasikan beberapa program sepanjang berada di PTKK dan perairan Kota Kinabalu untuk mengeratkan hubungan dua hala antara Malaysia dan Jepun serta pertukaran pendapat dan idea pertahanan.

Antara program yang telah dilaksanakan ialah Kunjungan Hormat ke atas Panglima Wilayah Laut 2, YBhg Laksamana Muda Datuk Khairul Anuar bin Yahya dan Panglima Angkatan Kapal Selam YBhg Laksamana Muda Datuk Abdul Rahman bin Hj Ayob, Majlis Resepsi di Kapal JMSDF dan Wisma Kejora, Lawatan ke kapal JMSDF, Perlawanan Sukan Persahabatan bola sepak dan bola tampar dan Latihan Passage Exercise (PASSEX). Kapal Perang TLDM dan JMSDF telah melaksanakan latihan PASSEX di Perairan Kota Kinabalu pada 28 Feb 16.

Kapal-kapal TLDM yang terlibat adalah KD PERAK dan KD LAKSAMANA MUHAMMAD AMIN. Latihan ini dilaksanakan bagi menguatkan hubungan antara Tentera Laut Malaysia dan Jepun. Majlis resepsi telah dilaksanakan di kapal JMSDF yang telah dihadiri oleh Kementerian Negeri Sabah dan Pegawai-pegawai TLDM bagi menunjukkan kehadiran Kapal JMSDF di Negeri Sabah kepada Jabatan-jabatan Negeri Sabah. Kapal JMSDF juga membawa pelatih seramai 110 orang Midshipmen (Pegawai Kadet Kanan) dalam melatih pegawai-pegawai muda tentang selok belok pelayaran dan lawatan ke luar negara.

Rujukan: 260216/08
Sumber: Perhubungan Awam Markas Wilayah Laut 2
Artike: LK PBS [email protected] bin Kornelius
Jurufoto: LK PBK Kaharuddin bin Nasir

Source: LAWATAN KAPAL PERANG DARI JAPAN MARITIME SELF DEFENCE FORCE (JMSDF)
BorneoAlliance
post Mar 2 2016, 07:22 AM

0 posts

Test pilot reveals F-35 stealth jet can perform impossible Top Gun ‘fly right by’ manoeuvre as it 'slows down quicker than you can emergency brake your car'

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

A test pilot putting the Air Force's most sophisticated fighter jet through its paces has revealed that it can perform an 'impossible manoeuvre' made famous in the film Top Gun.

Major Morten 'Dolby' Hanche, who is the first Norwegian to fly the F-35, says the jet can 'slow down quicker than you can emergency brake your car'.

This means that when a pilot being chased by an enemy jet applies the air brake, the jet following them would overshoot and could be shot down.
According to Hanche: 'I can whip the airplane around in a reactive manoeuvre while slowing down. The F-35 can actually slow down quicker than you´d be able to emergency brake your car.

'This is important because my opponent has to react to me stopping, or risk ending up in a role-reversal where he flies past me. Same principle as many would have seen in Top Gun - hit the brakes, and he’ll fly right by.'
Major Hanche believes the F-35 is able to lock-on to a target earlier than the F-16 because the aircraft is able to hold a stable Angle of Attack (AOA) at a more extreme angle compared with the older fighter

However, Major Hanche believes his new jet is a dramatic improvement on the F-16.

Hanche has spend the past four months flying the new jet with the 62nd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force base in Arizona, he is a firm fan of the weapons system.

In a blog he wrote: 'I now have several sorties behind me in the F-35 where the mission has been to train within visual range combat one-on-one, or Basic Fighter Manoeuvres .

'As an F-35-user I still have a lot to learn, but I am left with several impressions. For now my conclusion is that this is an airplane that allows me to be more forward and aggressive than I could ever be in an F-16.'
During his intensive training he said he is learning to fully exploit the capabilities of the aircraft: 'As the offensive part, the training objective is to exploit every opportunity to kill your opponent with all available weapons.'

He said the aircraft performs very well in a dogfight situation. 'The offensive role feels somewhat different from what I am used to with the F-16.

'In the F-16, I had to be more patient than in the F-35, before pointing my nose at my opponent to employ weapons; pointing my nose and employing, before being safely established in the control position, would often lead to a role reversal, where the offensive became the defensive part.'

Hanche said he is able to point the nose of the F-35 at a higher angle of attack (AOA) than the F-16 and maintain stable flight.

This is a significant advantage in a dogfight. He said: 'This improved ability to point at my opponent enables me to deliver weapons earlier than I am used to with the F-16, it forces my opponent to react even more defensively, and it gives me the ability to reduce the airspeed quicker than in the F-16.'

He said: 'I have flown additional sorties where I tried an even more aggressive approach to the control position – more aggressive than I thought possible. It worked just fine. The F-35 sticks on like glue, and it is very difficult for the defender to escape.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-34...-brake-car.html
BorneoAlliance
post Mar 2 2016, 07:28 AM

0 posts

Singapore Wants to Defuse South China Sea Tensions With Naval Protocol

user posted image

During his two-day visit to Beijing this week, Singapore’s foreign minister, Vivian Balakrishnan, said that Singapore had proposed the expansion of the Code for Unplanned Encounters at Sea (CUES)–a series of protocols for the safety of naval vessels–as one of several interim steps to defuse tensions in the South China Sea. He also said that China had indicated that it is an idea worth exploring.

“It is, in a sense, some rules of engagement which will prevent untoward accidents or miscalculations which will lead to tensions and conflict at sea. And we’ve suggested expanding this to cover both naval vessels and coast guards,” Balakrishnan said.

As Balakrishnan himself correctly noted, CUES itself not new. As I’ve noted previously, CUES was negotiated and signed at the Western Pacific Naval Symposium back in 2014. Since then, various countries have been using CUES in exercises as a practical measure to reduce miscalculation at sea, including the United States and China as well as Japan and the Philippines.

Singapore as well as several other countries have also previously suggested–both privately and publicly–expanding CUES to cover disputes areas and non-military vessels. Last December, Malaysia’s new naval chief told a regional security forum that CUES should be expanded to cover disputed areas in the South China Sea as well as “other maritime agencies, especially the coast guards” (See: “Malaysia Wants Expanded Naval Protocol Amid South China Sea Disputes”).

Just last month, Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the Japan-based U.S. Seventh Fleet, also said in Singapore that expanding CUES to cover non-military ships would be a wise move, particularly since confrontations in the South China Sea have involved non-military vessels–including large Chinese coast guard ships and smaller ones manned by militia organized by Beijing (See: “China is Building a New South China Sea Fleet for its Maritime Militia”).

http://thediplomat.com/2016/03/singapore-w...naval-protocol/
BorneoAlliance
post Mar 2 2016, 07:32 AM

0 posts

Leading Saudi cleric survives assassination attempt in Philippines

user posted image

Arabiya quoted an unnamed Filipino official as saying Sheikh Ayed al-Qarni was “in a good condition” after being shot in the hand by an unknown gunman at Western Mindanao State University in Zamboanga.

The official added that Filipino security forces shot dead the gunman.

"We pinned down the gunman. He's dead," Filipino spokesperson Helen Galvez told AFP. “We are investigating this incident.”

Galvez said the gunman used a .45-caliber pistol.
Al Arabiya reported that Saudi authorities are sending a plane to the Philippines to bring the injured cleric back to the kingdom.

Saudi media outlets described Qarni as a senior Islamic scholar.

In his book "Awakening Islam," the French academic Stephane Lacroix included Qarni among "the most famous" Saudi preachers.

In 2012 Qarni was refused entry to the United States despite holding an American visa, and he was later told that he was on a “no fly” list.

The Sheikh has previously advocated religious war against American troops in Iraq and against the Israeli army. 

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/leading-...eport-140048804
xtemujin
post Mar 2 2016, 07:53 AM

Casual
312 posts

The Army's Fast Stryker Vehicles Get a Big Weapons Upgrade
The lightly armed wheeled vehicles are getting more power, ​in case they ever come up against Russian tanks.

By Kyle Mizokami
Mar 1, 2016

The U.S. Army's Stryker vehicles, originally envisioned as lightly armed infantry fighting vehicles, are getting a much-needed firepower upgrade. The Strykers will be equipped with new rapid-fire cannons and anti-tank guided missiles that will allow them to fight Russian tank and mechanized forces.

The Stryker Interim Armored Vehicle came around in the days before 9/11 as a rapidly deployable fighting vehicle carrying a squad of nine infantrymen. Riding on wheels rather than tracks, it was lighter than most Army combat vehicles and easier for transports like the C-17 to carry.

The Stryker emphasized mobility above all else, including firepower and defense. Although the lightly armored vehicle had plating capable of stopping machine gun rounds, artillery fragments, and light cannon fire, tank guns and anti-tank missiles would easily destroy a Stryker. As for firepower ,the baseline Stryker carries only a .50-caliber machine gun. While useful against insurgents in Iraq, it's a peashooter against Russian tanks and infantry fighting vehicles, unable to penetrate the thick hides of either.

The solution? According to DefenseNews, the Army is planning to upgrade the Stryker with a turret armed with new and deadlier weapons. Half of the Strykers will be equipped with Javelin anti-tank missiles, the other half with a rapid-fire 30-milllimeter autocannon.

The Javelin anti-tank missile was first deployed in the mid-1990s. It's a shoulder-fired missile system with an advanced target recognition and tracking system. In combat, the operator locks onto a tank and launches the missile. The missile zooms upward, tracks, and then dives down onto the target, smashing through the thin top turret armor with devastating effect. Javelin has a range of more than 2,500 meters and is also effective against helicopters and buildings.

The 30-millimeter gun will actually be a larger version of the Bushmaster cannon mounted on the M2 Bradley infantry fighting vehicle. As such, it will have slightly better range and penetration against armored targets, at the cost of storing fewer rounds. The 30-millimeter gun woulud be useful against Russian BMP and BTR infantry fighting vehicles, and the new generation of Boomerang combat vehicles. It should also be effective against helicopters.

The plan is that half of the Strykers will be able to kill pretty much anything, while the other half will be able to kill lighter armored vehicles in the same class as themselves. While it would be nice to upgrade all Strykers with a turret that mounts both missiles and guns, like the Bradley has, in this age of budget austerity one must settle for a reasonable compromise.

The first of the new turreted Strykers should arrive in 2018. In the meantime, here's a video of a Javelin anti-tank missile destroying a T-72 tank:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/w...ehicle-weapons/
Frozen_Sun
post Mar 2 2016, 08:19 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 2 2016, 07:22 AM)
Test pilot reveals F-35 stealth jet can perform impossible Top Gun ‘fly right by’ manoeuvre as it 'slows down quicker than you can emergency brake your car'

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
interesting.....

Any video for this?
kerolzarmyfanboy
post Mar 2 2016, 09:14 AM

Casual
453 posts

QUOTE(BorneoAlliance @ Mar 2 2016, 07:22 AM)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
with its TVC and engine, not surprising

still doesn't really justify the amount wasted on the project though...
azriel
post Mar 2 2016, 09:56 AM

4 posts

Water cannon salute welcoming the final batch delivery of four Indonesian Air Force Super Tucano.

user posted image

user posted image

http://foto.metrotvnews.com/view/2016/02/2...ul-rahman-saleh
mutan
post Mar 2 2016, 10:00 AM

33 posts

Whats our camo called?
MilitaryMadness
post Mar 2 2016, 10:04 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(mutan @ Mar 2 2016, 10:00 AM)
Whats our camo called?
From Camopedia:

First revealed to the public during the Malaysian Armed Forces 80th Anniversary Parade in September 2013, a new pixelated camouflage design is now in the process of being integrated into the supply system as the standard combat uniform of the Army. The design incorporates foliage green and medium brown fractal shapes on a light tan or sand-colored background, with a very small smattering of dark blue scattered throughout. Colloquially the pattern is simply termed Fabrik Celoreng Corak Digital Tentera Darat (Army Digital Pattern Camouflage Fabric) or simply Celoreng Digital (digital camouflage), but among the special forces community it has been nicknamed Celoreng Komando. It is suspected the uniform will eventually be distributed to all branches of the armed forces, but thus far only the Army that has been observed wearing it.

Frozen_Sun
post Mar 2 2016, 10:14 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(kerolzarmyfanboy @ Mar 2 2016, 09:14 AM)
with its TVC and engine, not surprising
still doesn't really justify the amount wasted on the project though...
All the huge investment can be paid off beyond the block 4...especially after F-35 is fully integrated with AEW aircrafts, F-22, drones, ground control, arsenal plane, satellite, warships and other F-35s. It may take more than 10 years to happen...

I can imagine the advantage of fighting as a network....especially with two-way datalink weapons, like Meteor (for UK's F-35B) and AIM-120D

This post has been edited by Frozen_Sun: Mar 2 2016, 10:17 AM
MilitaryMadness
post Mar 2 2016, 10:24 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(Frozen_Sun @ Mar 2 2016, 10:14 AM)
All the huge investment can be paid off beyond the block 4...especially after F-35 is fully integrated with AEW aircrafts, F-22, drones, ground control, arsenal plane, satellite, warships and other F-35s. It may take more than 10 years to happen...

I can imagine the advantage of fighting as a network....especially with two-way datalink weapons, like Meteor (for UK's F-35B) and AIM-120D
Nice if the network is functioning correctly.

Not so nice if the network is down for some reason. i.e EMP attack, natural occurrences like solar storms or the like knocks out the satellite network.... sad.gif

Frozen_Sun
post Mar 2 2016, 10:31 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(MilitaryMadness @ Mar 2 2016, 10:24 AM)
Nice if the network is functioning correctly.

Not so nice if the network is down for some reason. i.e EMP attack, natural occurrences like solar storms or the like knocks out the satellite network.... sad.gif
Then as a network...it needs redundant pathways, ruggedized against EMP, jamming and others. But if it all fails, I think that on its own, a solitary F-35 is still a decent BVR fighter, as long it can avoid dogfights.
MilitaryMadness
post Mar 2 2016, 10:43 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(Frozen_Sun @ Mar 2 2016, 10:31 AM)
Then as a network...it needs redundant pathways, ruggedized against EMP, jamming and others. But if it all fails, I think that on its own, a solitary F-35 is still a decent BVR fighter, as long it can avoid dogfights.
A BVR fighter is only as good as its missiles. How does modern western AAMs stack up?

Also the issue of the limited capacity of the internal weapons bay will come up. Of course extra AAM missiles can be carried externally, but that will mess up its stealth profile, taking away its main advantage in the first place.
azriel
post Mar 2 2016, 11:20 AM

4 posts

Malaysian Army had accepted the offer of 24 units M109 A5/A6 SPH from the United States under the Excess Defence Articles (EDA) programme.

user posted image

Army 83rd Birthday

Marhalim Abas March 2, 2016 Malaysian Army

SHAH ALAM: The Army celebrated its 83rd birthday yesterday (March 1) and its obvious its feeling the pain of the current economic downturn though so far the plans announced earlier remained intact. However, the delivery of new assets will be “slowed” down to reflect the challenging fiscal environment.

Speaking at the anniversary celebration in Port Dickson, Army chief Jen Raja Mohamed Affandi Raja Mohamed Noor said due to the current economic conditions, the delivery times of the assets would need to be adjusted.

“For example, if the asset is supposed to be supplied within two years, now we will make it three years,” he added. One of the assets llaffected by the adjustment is the Gempita 8X8. Last year only 27 Gempitas were handed over to the Army though the original plan was for 40 units.

Nonetheless, despite the difficulties, Raja Affandi announced the Army was standing up two new brigades – a Rocket Artillery Brigade and 31st Infantry Brigade – and the second Army Air Wing squadron, Rejimen 882.

The setting up of the 31st Brigade is covered here while the Rocket Artillery Brigade which controls the two Astros II regiments – Rejimen 51 and 52 and the Rejimen 62 – equipped with the Arthur weapon locating radars – is the culmination of the plan announced around six years ago. It is likely that the brigade finally got its official funding from the Public Services Department this year. It is also likely all this while the positions in the brigade were “borrowed” from other units in the Army.

The second PUTD squadron stood up – Rejimen 882 – is for the new, medium helicopter squadron, the Nuri helicopters handed over by the RMAF. According to the email Q&A for 83rd anniversary, the squadron has received three Nuri while the fourth one is undergoing flight test prior to the handing over. Two of the Nuri was received at Lima 2015.

Rejimen 882 will eventually operate up to 12 Nuri helicopters for troop transport and utility roles. Meanwhile, the Blackhawk helicopters to be handed over Brunei this year will be operated with the AW109 light helicopters already based in Semporna, Sabah as part of the combined arms ESSCOM Brigade which is still being formed up.

Apart from the Blackhawks and AW109, six MD Helicopters MD530G light scout attack helicopters are expected to join the unit in 2017.

Raja Affandi said funding for the setting up of the headquarters and other facilities of the ESSCOM brigade has been approved under RMK11. The brigade is under the operational control of the Task Force 450, which is the fore-runner of the new Fifth Division.

According to Raja Affandi, the Army will be receiving 56 Gempita in various variants in 2016. Most of the IFV variant will be sent to units in Sabah which is already operating the 27 vehicles delivered so far. Other Gempita variants to be handed over to the Army are the Armoured Fighting Vehicle with 30mm turret and AFV with the 30mm turret and ATGM. These variants will be operated by mechanised and armour units.

On the AV4, Raja Affandi said the 20 vehicles expected to be delivered this year will be operated by the Armour Squadron of the ESSCOM brigade.

On the offer of M109 A5/A6 SPH by the United States under the Excess Defence Articles (EDA) programme, Raja Affandi said the Army had accepted the offer and was in the process of finalising the procurement. “If the procurement is completed, it will boost the firepower capability of the Army especially for units operating in Sabah”.

Malaysian Defence had reported on the SPH offer from the US recently. The Army is expected to field 24 M109 SPH upgraded to the latest A6 standard with another six vehicles used for spares and training.

Read more: http://www.malaysiandefence.com/army-83rd-birthday/

This post has been edited by azriel: Mar 2 2016, 11:21 AM
Frozen_Sun
post Mar 2 2016, 11:30 AM

17 posts

QUOTE(MilitaryMadness @ Mar 2 2016, 10:43 AM)
A BVR fighter is only as good as its missiles. How does modern western AAMs stack up?

Also the issue of the limited capacity of the internal weapons bay will come up. Of course extra AAM missiles can be carried externally, but that will mess up its stealth profile, taking away its main advantage in the first place.
One-on-one combat with a fighter, F-35 is still quite good enough. With only internal weapon bay, it can launch a barrage of AIM-120D from extended range.

When air superiority is finally acquired, external pylons can be added; because stealthiness is no longer a concern.

121 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump Topic Topic ClosedOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0220sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th July 2021 - 04:09 AM