views

Skylinestar
post Aug 11 2016, 01:17 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(myxery @ Aug 11 2016, 09:55 AM)
xjelas, tv n avr nya placement kt mna? Front view picture will be better
to have a perfect center speaker placement, you either use an acoustic transparent screen, or sacrifice visual quality by placing the screen higher/lower.
Skylinestar
post Aug 11 2016, 07:20 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(myxery @ Aug 11 2016, 03:52 PM)
ooo we're talking projector + screen already. What about using TV as a display, what is recommended center speaker? What criteria to put into consideration. Let say my LR freq response 45-50khz
The easiest way to get a tonally matched center is to get one from the same series as your main left/right speakers.

For example:
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-...-systems#rp-280
In this case, if you have Klipsch RP-280F as your left/right, get the RP-450C as the center, not the G-28.
The best is to get another RP-280F as the center, but we understand your constraint.
Skylinestar
post Sep 4 2016, 10:23 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(capoi @ Sep 2 2016, 01:32 PM)
Thank u. Is it easy to get this plat Amp? How complicated this method to wiring between plat Amp and subwoofer? How much does it cost? If it too complicated and costly, I have no choice to just leave it alone.
just buy a behringer inuke (w/ or w/o DSP) amp or any pro amp.
Skylinestar
post Feb 10 2017, 02:04 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(iamoracle @ Feb 10 2017, 11:18 AM)
Vintange Kenwood KA-305
user posted image

I am newbie. Want to ask experts here if the above vintage receiver can still work with modern speakers?

That one is owned by my late father and has been left idling for more than 10 years. I am not sure if it still in working condition.

Thanks.
yes
Skylinestar
post Apr 3 2017, 07:02 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(jdgobio @ Apr 3 2017, 05:48 PM)
Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking it would be good to have the pre-outs as well although I may never use it, but you never know. As for the sound, would there be a huge difference between Denon & Marantz or would it just be subtle? While I am keeping expectations low, it would be nice to get better audio. Since I got the Tannoys early last year I have been listening to music a lot more than I used to coz it sounds really good compared with what I was using previously. Hope I get a decent upgrade.

Good point on the timing, might scope it out for another couple of months before pulling the trigger.
I do know there's a huge difference between Denon & Marantz pricing in Malaysia rclxub.gif
Skylinestar
post Apr 10 2017, 12:22 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Kaka23 @ Apr 9 2017, 09:05 AM)
Wanna use back my old pioneer home theater speakers... the dvd player is dead now... how do I go about it?
just hook up the speaker wires to an amp / AVR. as simple as that.
for safety, check you the impedance rating (in ohm) at the back of each speaker. if it's between 4ohm to 10 ohm, you should be fine.
Skylinestar
post Apr 10 2017, 12:29 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Harold2009 @ Apr 9 2017, 09:21 AM)
Hello any expert there, can I get any good receiver that support multi channel 7.1 analogue input amplifier around KL or Penang area, prefer marantz, yamaha or denon, my budget RM4500 only for receiver alone. Thanks.  notworthy.gif
newer generations of Yamaha have ditched 7.1 analog input.
for pioneer, the LX-8# is over your budget.
denon doesn't have it as the unit with 7.1 analog inputs are reserved for marantz.
with RM4500 budget, can try marantz SR6011.
Skylinestar
post Apr 15 2017, 08:03 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

What SSJBen said.

If there's no +/- or red/black sign behind the speaker (depending on models, speaker wire can go fully into the cabinet), you need to test with a 9v battery. (google search speaker polarity test using battery)

Skylinestar
post Apr 19 2017, 02:05 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(rublik @ Apr 17 2017, 10:22 AM)
Hi,

Need a recommendation for a av received to be rack mounted. Prefer a slim unit

Thanks
do u need stereo? 5.1? 7.1? atmos/DTS:X?
Skylinestar
post Apr 29 2017, 11:14 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(stilo10 @ Apr 28 2017, 01:30 PM)
our buying power here not bad
are you sure? rclxub.gif
Skylinestar
post Apr 29 2017, 07:00 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Apr 29 2017, 01:22 PM)
Honestly that's because we have a lack of choices here. If PSA, Hsu, Rythmik (okay they used to, many years ago), and RBH are as readily available as SVS here, you won't be seeing such products being snapped up so fast.

In fact SVS isn't one of the best anymore in the price-performance category, in the US and Europe at least.

Sad to say that only other company, sub wise that matches SVS for price-performance in Malaysia is JL Audio. But even then, JL is still more expensive in most cases.
AFAIK, Sound Fusion is still selling Rythmik subwoofers. Official distributor.
Skylinestar
post May 11 2017, 06:27 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ May 3 2017, 05:26 PM)
By saving near RM2k, you can use that fund to import a minidsp (or an antimode or whatever similar)
Any chance of kastam tax if import minidsp 2x4?

stilo10
I have dspeaker antimode 8033 S-II for sale CLICK HERE. bought it from htkaki (svs distributor) a few years ago.
brows.gif
Skylinestar
post May 14 2017, 08:01 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Senforr @ May 14 2017, 05:20 PM)
Nothing. Just upgraded my TV so now looking for better sound system.

At first looking at soundbar, so far 1 have these 3 in mind:

Samsung HW-K551
Sonos Playbar
Sony HT-CT-390

Then, of course got poisoned to look at AVR, so far keeping these in compare list

Marantz NR1506
Yamaha RX-V381
Denon AVR-1713

All basically entry model, I try to keep budget below 3k with speakers.

Haven't decided which speaker to buy. Once I decided with AVR, then will start to look for speakers.
Marantz NR1506 - Audyssey MultEQ
Denon AVR-1713 - Audyssey MultEQ XT

user posted image
Skylinestar
post Jul 8 2017, 10:48 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Jul 7 2017, 09:21 PM)
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Pricing for latest Yamaha RX-V series

Yamaha RX-V383 = RM1699
Yamaha RX-V483 = RM2099
Yamaha RX-V583 = RM2599
Yamaha RX-V683 = RM3199

Our take on the Yamaha RX-V683 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.

If you spend a lot of time enjoying movies and music, you want a receiver that treats them both right. Yamaha's RX-V683 is loaded with up-to-the-minute features and convenient customization options so you can set your system up just the way you want.
wub.gif
No 5.1.4 doh.gif
Skylinestar
post Jul 20 2018, 01:41 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jul 7 2018, 08:52 PM)
Generally denon is the high end and marantz is value for money
Marantz has prepro to cater the higher end. But in terms of value for money (not the cheapest but with best features at reasonable price), I'll say it's Marantz.

QUOTE(jdgobio @ Jul 20 2018, 11:45 AM)
Actually its the other way around. Marantz is always sold at a premium compared to the equivalent Denon. And Marantz does not have low budget models like Denon, it starts at a higher price threshold.
For the equivalent models, e.g. X2400 vs SR5012, Marantz always has slightly better specs like HDAM and pre-outs which was already mentioned. Also, the total power draw in wattage is higher which may indicate better components.
Since is the pricing in Malaysia for the equivalent models are similar (as opposed to Marantz being significantly more expensive in other countries), it makes sense to get the Marantz instead of Denon.
Just to addon, if you just want 7.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X processing, Marantz is a lot cheaper than Denon.

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Jul 20 2018, 01:45 PM
Skylinestar
post Oct 5 2018, 08:40 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(yikyeou @ Oct 5 2018, 02:01 PM)
I would want to start with basic
Basic is 5.1 system. 5.1 has been in general consumer market for more than 2 decades.
When you say HT budget RM4k, does that 4k include tv and players? or just speaker/subwoofer/avr only? HT is too general. For others, HT means a 15 foot wide screen setup. But since you're in this thread, I guess you're referring to the audio part, but I don't know if 4k includes AVR or not.

HITB, any recommendations? Ill prefer all bookshelf
Most HTIB are meh in reality. YMMV. You just have to buy 5 same speakers and a subwoofer. Problem is most speakers are sold in pair vmad.gif .Don't forget to buy audio video receiver too. But all these will exceed your budget. For HTIB, make sure it has digital audio input and support Dolby and DTS 5.1 decoding from that external audio input.

apartment is small
Whats a recommended set should i look for? No idea where to look for this.
Bookshelf is all you need since you're tight on budget. You want to buy a model that will be in the market for the next decade so you can upgrade slowly and still keep the speakers.
Most budget units are RM1k per pair. 5.1 will blow your budget.
Q Acoustics is pretty cheap (cheap is very subjective). Refer here: https://www.facebook.com/wilayahave
Or you can try X-LS Encore DIY unit. Refer here: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=2543171
Another alternative is to go all cheap and buy budget active speakers like Edifier. Hook it to an old Marantz AVR as it has multi channel analog RCA outputs.

I go HT shop all they ask me mix and match but the budget come up quite high
Again, budget depends on how deep you wanna follow the rabbit hole. I started with my house old Pioneer mini compo surround speaker set. Then move up to Klipsch budget series. One day, I read about JTR and go full out to pro audio as it offers bang for the buck with huge dynamics and minimum distortion when crank to cinematic level. Dig too deep and I crave for JBL Synthesis but I need RM2.6 billion donation for that first. brows.gif

Don't forget tv too. HT isn't all about sound. 5.1 audio is useless when viewed on a 40" lcd. The soundstage needs to match the video wall.

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Oct 5 2018, 08:47 PM
Skylinestar
post Oct 6 2018, 02:51 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

@yikyeou

Or you can start with this
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=4592290

user posted image
Skylinestar
post Apr 12 2019, 01:45 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Micky78 @ Apr 11 2019, 10:22 AM)
is FM a standard features in all AV...
yes
Skylinestar
post Apr 15 2019, 10:18 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(Micky78 @ Apr 15 2019, 01:25 PM)
can this speaker play in any AV Receiver? it almost 20yrs old... recently the amp die off..
https://pictr.com/images/2019/04/15/09tJNg.jpg
yes thumbsup.gif
Skylinestar
post May 2 2019, 07:57 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

QUOTE(jovigrunge @ Apr 30 2019, 10:30 AM)
Buying a Subwoofer? Here’s What You Need to Know

When the bass is lacking, whether we’re watching a movie or listening to music, we notice. Our first instinct is to turn up the volume, but this doesn’t really help. If anything, it makes everything sound worse. A sign of any good speaker system is that it should have great bass and great midrange and highs — bass and sound quality aren’t mutually exclusive.

Subwoofers play an integral role in any two-channel or surround system, but deciding which one to buy is not as simple as picking the one with the largest woofer and lowest quoted frequency response. You need to make sure it’s right for your room and for your system.

What to Know

Sealed or ported subwoofer, what’s the difference?

Sealed subwoofers will generally be found in vehicles. They’re smaller in cabinet size than ported subwoofers and therefore easier to place and integrate in tighter places. Sealed subwoofers have a single woofer or bass driver that is completely encased in a closed cabinet. This allows them to move air more quickly and thus align better with your main loudspeakers output; generally resulting in tighter bass which is more coherent and better integrated.

Ported subwoofers have a woofer and one-or-more ports that allow air to escape from the cabinet. These two mechanisms allow for more air to be released and therefore a ported design can reach down lower than their sealed counterparts and reproduce the lowest octaves with greater authority and higher volume levels; this is why they are more popular in home theater systems. Ported subwoofers can be extremely large and are not as flexible when it comes to set-up.

Is there a benefit to stereo subwoofers?

If you have ever sat in a home theater, you have probably noticed that you can detect the directionality of the bass in the room. A single subwoofer is easy to locate even with the lights dimmed. If you stand up and walk around, you can feel that the bass is not even. Stereo subwoofers cancel out the nulls; the location where sound waves from a single subwoofer cancel one another out. With stereo subwoofers, bass will sound and feel more even and only increase the size of the soundstage with music

Should your subwoofer be made by the same company as your speakers?

Yes and no. Products made by the same company generally utilize the same driver technology and thus have a similar voicing; aka they pair nicely together. But you don’t have to. In fact, we recommend starting your subwoofer hunt with the companies who have focused on subwoofer technology exclusively over the years. These companies, like SVS and REL Acoustics, have tested their subwoofers with hundreds of different loudspeakers and fine-tuned them so they work best.

The Subwoofers
SVS SB-2000

user posted image

Best for Small Rooms:

The SB-2000 is a sealed subwoofer that utilizes a 12-inch driver and is powered by a 500-watt Sledge STA-500D DSP amplifier — it’s one of the best options for small- and medium-sized rooms. It is easy to integrate in a two-channel stereo system, but really shows off in a 5.1 or 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos surround system; delivering tight and articulate bass response that will have immediate impact with music and films.

Dimensions: 14.6″ (H) x 14.2″ (W) x 15.4″ (D)

Amplification: Sledge STA-500D DSP amplifier

Power: 500 watts RMS (1,100 watts peak)

Frequency response: 19Hz – 220Hz +/-3dB

Driver size: 12-inch 2000 Series High-Output Driver

Size: 34.8 pounds
REL Acoustics T/7i

user posted image

Best for Music:

REL has been an audiophile favorite for many years and, in the home theater realm, its T/7i is particularly well-suited for music as well. The sealed subwoofer features an 8” front-firing active driver and a 10” bottom-firing passive radiator, and it utilizes a 200-watt internal amplifier with ample power reserves to reproduce bass down to 30Hz. Most importantly, it does a great job taking the load off your loudspeakers; allowing them to focus on everything above 80-100Hz which generally results in a larger soundstage, better dynamic response, and more even sounding presentation.

Dimensions: 12” (W) x 14.3” (H) x 15” (D)

Power: 200 watts (RMS)

Amplification: Class A/B

Frequency response: 28 Hz at -6 dB in room

Driver size: 1 x 8-inch long-throw woofer, 1 x 10-inch long-throw woofer

Weight: 36 pounds
SVS SB-16 Ultra

user posted image

Best for Home Theaters

Both SVS and REL offer even more expensive subwoofer systems than the SB-16 Ultra, but this behemoth has zero issues energizing even the largest dedicated home theater rooms. This sealed 20” cube weighs close to 122 pounds and requires two people for proper installation. A stereo set-up with two SB-16 Ultra subwoofers offer some of the deepest and most articulate bass possible. SVS also includes an iOS and Android set-up app to make fine tuning even easier. If you’re looking for a reference quality subwoofer, the SB-16 Ultra is a sure bet.

Dimensions: 20” (H) x 19.5” (W) x 22.9” (D)

Power: 1500 watts RMS (5000+ watts peak)

Amplification: Sledge STA-1500D DSP amplifier

Frequency response: 16Hz-460Hz +/-3dB

Driver size: 16-inch Ultra-series driver

Weight: 122 pounds
is this paid advertisement ? doh.gif

for HT, i recommend seaton and JTR. icon_rolleyes.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0759sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:05 PM