Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LG OLED TV Discussion Thread, OLED TV

views

Andrewtst
post Feb 15 2020, 05:33 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

I just purchase LG C9 at Harvey Norman. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Freaking awesome! biggrin.gif

My Room Entertainment setup is completed. smile.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Feb 15 2020, 05:57 PM
Andrewtst
post Feb 16 2020, 11:36 AM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(h11g @ Feb 15 2020, 10:46 PM)
Congratulations bro! How much you paid ? Any good offer from Harvey Norman?
Thanks. smile.gif

I bought RM 6,997 - https://www.harveynorman.com.my/tv-and-audi...oled-tv-en.html

You can always check Harvey Norman website for promotion item & price. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Feb 16 2020, 11:36 AM
Andrewtst
post Feb 16 2020, 03:23 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(wira1979 @ Feb 16 2020, 12:40 PM)
Nice. Welcome to OLED.

Is that an SL10Y or SL9Y?
That is previous model. SK9Y where bought year ago. Not going to change st the moment. Haha!
Andrewtst
post Feb 16 2020, 05:39 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(wira1979 @ Feb 16 2020, 03:42 PM)
Oh ok. Did you have to raise the TV to clear the soundbar's height?

The stupid but honest reason I didn't buy a C9 was because the C8's screen sits higher on the stand xp
I actually put additional +/- 5cm wood board below C9 stand because the height is a little low where the sound bar will blocking the TV screen.

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Feb 16 2020, 06:10 PM
Andrewtst
post Feb 17 2020, 02:34 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(wira1979 @ Feb 17 2020, 12:28 PM)
Cheers. You'll definitely enjoy the TV.

You fellas are making me wish I bought a C9 instead.
But you also enjoy earlier. smile.gif and C8 is as great as C9. Nothing lose here unless you aim for gaming. Then probably you can wait for CX. biggrin.gif
Andrewtst
post Feb 24 2020, 10:18 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(dunoster @ Feb 24 2020, 10:06 PM)
guys, wanna ask.. do you power off the mains to your oleds usually or just leave them on standby mode all the time?
I power off everything if not at home.

I get thunder before and spoilt something before, since then I never in standby mode anymore when not at home.

The ground thunder protector is not always protecting one.
Andrewtst
post Feb 27 2020, 03:14 AM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Feb 25 2020, 10:49 AM)
Highly depends but at least 15-30 mins to be safe .
Thanks for this information, standby mode I do everyday left it when sleep time, will total power off when leaving home.
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 12:27 AM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

This two weeks I am actually test many films in my new purchase and my 1st OLED TV - LG C9. Here I shared my short review not in technical.
If you are videophile and enthusiast on films, I suggest you go ahead for OLED or future MicroLED instead of LED backlight LCD or lower end QLED or future Mini-LED.

I very thanks to Harvey Norman promotion, if without it I probably won't have OLED TV due to it origin cost is damn expensive. Even after promotion still expensive but frank speak, I had no single regret at all.

OLED is just something freaking spectacular and wow!

After owning it, now i know why many OLED owner said LCD is suck especially on HDR, now I am believing it. The only LCD can comparable with OLED now is Samsung QLED Q90 series, yes only Q90 series, lower than it is no way match especially the entry Q60 series. But how good QLED, it still got some gray uniformity issues at the edges.

OK talk back to OLED, why it is spectacular. biggrin.gif
  • Perfect Deep Blacks.
  • 100% no color banding issue.
  • 100% no gray uniformity issues.
  • Insane viewing angle.
  • Deep & Rich color and accuracy.
  • Very low latency and this make every movement smooth and no ghosting.
  • HDR is extreme stunning now! It make me hope all movies is in HDR now, haha!
Compare with my previous Panasonic EX600 LED backlight LCD, is like compare heaven and hell. They is no way to compare, it is huge differences.

Beside this, thanks to it new HDMI 2.1 and also eARC support, now I can input total 4 devices and all can pass thru my LG SK9Y soundbar without any delay issue. This is totally solved my previous issue where only 1 device can be connected.

Also not forgetting the best ever did remote control - Magic Remote which act as normal remote + air mouse gesture. Simply awesome!

Any cons? I can't think any of it, I don't put possibility burn-in as cons as this is something every manufacturing trying the best to prevent it and I believe it simply fixed now or very hard to burn-in.

I love my OLED TV now so much especially dark scenes no longer an issue anymore and HDR quality is definitely huge jump!

user posted image

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 01:20 AM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 10:50 AM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(xAmdx @ Mar 2 2020, 09:29 AM)
Congrats on your purchase on new OLED.
Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE(dexth @ Mar 2 2020, 09:48 AM)
there is no way LCD may be better than OLED. Comparing my 1st generation OLED EC9600 (HDR only on apps/USB due to older HDMI port limitation), it still blow away Sammy Q7FN which is supposedly brighter (400 vs 1000nit). From what i understand, this is mainly how our eye perceived brightness from black & white highlights/contrast. the color is also so much natural vs Sammy over saturation.
As for burn in, the 5 years usage still no issue at all.
Agree! QLED still not able to wins OLED and for that cost, I would never consider. But for Samsung fans or whoerver don't like OLED probably due to worried on burn in. QLED for the moment is the only option.

The color is so much natural, also I notice it is way more smooth to eye probably due to no extra backlight necessary.

Great to know after 5 years also no burn in issue. 😊

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 11:37 AM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 03:52 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(stasio @ Mar 2 2020, 03:02 PM)
Congrats, what is your model..?
I found LG OLED55C9PTA for 7k, is worthh= ?
https://shopee.com.my/product/19686337/2483...iates&utm_term=
I am buying the exact model and same price as you post but I buy at Harvey Norman.
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 04:40 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 2 2020, 04:19 PM)
The default setting for oled light n contrast for HDR n Dolby Vision is 100, do u guys lower down the oled light n contrast
For me it is depends on environment.

I put all at 52 for OLED light. But I keep the default value for contrast.
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 05:21 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 2 2020, 04:43 PM)
Q7FN is NOT consistently brighter than OLEDs , despite of higher peak brightness .

This is because it is an edge-lit TV . When it wants to brighten objects on the screen it cannot do so without brightening the entire column of the screen at the same time.
When it brightens the whole screen , it will reduce the dynamic range because the black level is also raised simultaneously.
Why do you want to lower the settings ?
You are of course , free to use any settings you want .

But there is a standard to be uphold when it comes to HDR content .
When you turn down the numbers , you are basically destroying the purpose of HDR because the dynamic range is reduced if peak brightness is cut down .
The OLED TVs aren't very bright to begin with . That is on top of it losing color saturation when it tries to showcase  bright and vibrant colors .
I accept mostly all your comment except ask people don't turn down the light. I know RTing also ridiculous said that but not means it is correct. This is user preferable and impact by environment. They is no reason HDR must watch in 100% setting.

I wonder why people can watch in 100%, it is freaking too bright and hurting eye.

Changing the OLED light in newer model OLED TV did not impact the output, only change brightness and contrast will impact the output.

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 05:26 PM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 06:17 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 2 2020, 06:15 PM)
I set oled light to 88 but contrast to 95 bcos my room is a bit dark n when come to brightness movie pixel my eye cannot take it
To me they is no wrong to set based on our preferable comfort level. smile.gif As long happy and comfort then fine.

If not suppose to set, then those item will not appear at setting.

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 06:23 PM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 07:31 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 2 2020, 07:12 PM)
Like I said , you can do that . It is your choice and your TV .
But there is a standard we have to uphold in the picture industry , if not why do movie studios spent millions of dollars to hire colorist and Dolby Vision engineers to grade movies ?

Turning down the brightness will force the TV having to tonemapping more , the OLED TVs are already not very bright to begin with .
You are essentially losing details from the brighter end of the spectrum if you do that .
Another way is to put on some ambient light strap for TV to ease the strain of your eyes , commonly found and used these days .
user posted image

Your eyes may find it difficult to adapt to the brightness at first because you are getting used to good old traditional TVs @ 100-200 nits .

A light bulb from the wall could easily emit 3000 + nits of brightness , burnt firewood from camp ? 1500 nits +
OLED TVs can barely reach 800-900 nits ,  considering that it is actually dimmer than LCD TV on full screen .

Dolby Vision up to 3000 nits, no commercial TV can do that, so don't watch Dolby Vision film.

Lol...

I don't stalking at light bulb or camp firewood. smile.gif actually I can't watch light bulb in more than a second.

Ok la, each got it own standard and preferable. Nothing need to argue here. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 07:39 PM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 07:42 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 2 2020, 07:39 PM)
4000 nits .
That's why it is putting the burden on your TV to a process called tonemapping .

The dimmer your TV is , the more it will have to tonemap .
Effectively losing the wow factors from the HDR movies .

Same reason why your beginner's tier TV from Panasonic can't compete with your new TV.
Your eyes can't take brightness and you have to turn it down , that's fine . That is your choice .
But don't go around telling people to do it like it has no consequence.  It has .

There are more elegant ways to help reducing the strain on your eyes , like putting on some bias lightings .
I watch in full bright room and I still turn down. I had try 100% and it doesn't please me.

My previous Panasonic even 100% also not enough for me, I want it more because it is not enough bright in HDR.

But now the wow became err if I turn to maximum stock 100%.

Ok la, we should stop it here, each got it own. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 07:45 PM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 08:00 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 2 2020, 07:56 PM)
Well your previous TV has a limit of 200-300 , the C9 probably peaks @ 800-900 + .

That is a huge difference .
Like I said putting on some LED light strip , they are pretty cheap and have proven to have helped people easing the strain on their eyes .
I do that for the TVs of my elderly relatives and they like it very much on their OLEDs.

It is also one of the major feature (called ambilight) on Philips OLEDs , which is well received by reviewers and fans.
The reason you find it OLEDs too bright is because you are in a dark room and these OLED TV shut off its pixel for the black portion of the picture .
So any sort of colors on an OLED screen will give u an impression something is far more brighter and vibrant than it is .

800 nits on an LCD TV feels like nothing because the black are actually gray ( it is still emitting very faint light from those pixel ) .

These LED light strip will slightly brighten your environment so your eyes can adapt to the brightness better .

I in full bright room. I never like watch in dark room but I will try out ambient light. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Mar 2 2020, 08:00 PM
Andrewtst
post Mar 2 2020, 08:15 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 2 2020, 08:07 PM)
Then I am fairly sure you are still in that adaptation period .

Give it a couple of months once you have gotten used to it , you will want more biggrin.gif
That's how most of us brightness whore got started .

I still remember when I first got my Sony X930 it was mini light canon @_@ .

Few months later , it feels like my eye socket has gotten resilient and want more ...
The OLED TV will never get bright enough to harm your eyes , it is limited by ABL to only 140-150 nits if you are watching high APL like snow field .
Haha! Ok understand.
Andrewtst
post Mar 3 2020, 05:06 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Mar 3 2020, 04:14 PM)
Some electronic shops have them , or you can buy them online like from here . Just install them behind your TV .

*I am not affiliated with this merchant , just pointing out*
They are quite popular among the TV enthusiast in the west .

These bias lighting can provide a layer of comfort to eyes , making it easier for eyes to adapt to the surrounding . 
At the same time also giving you an illusion of expanded picture  , makes the TV look larger than it is especially if you have a large wall behind the TV .
Also one of the heavily marketed feature from Philips Flagship TV , called Ambilight .
Theirs are particularly impressive as the Ambilight can change colors depending on the TV content .

For example :

Hi. May I know what Ambient color is the best to put which make eye smoother and not tired.
Andrewtst
post Mar 4 2020, 05:00 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Mar 4 2020, 02:56 PM)
Understand that if you want to adhere to the least amount of eye strain, the color temperature of bias lighting should be 6500k. There are NO led strips on the market that does true 6500k temp.

All the ones with colors are more for mood lighting, they aren't actually serving its purpose to alleviate eye strain and boost perceived contrast ratio.
Thanks for the information. Appreciate.
Andrewtst
post Mar 5 2020, 12:23 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

QUOTE(mois @ Mar 5 2020, 11:54 AM)
You can buy yeelight strip on shopee for Rm110. I applied it on the back of C9

Color depend on yourself. For me, i use purple in dark room. It does make my eye less strain and certainly can boost abit perceived constrast ratio. Later i take photos
Cool, awaiting your photo. biggrin.gif

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0210sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:13 AM