Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Dust Mites!

views

PangurBan
post Jan 5 2016, 07:15 PM

On my way
584 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jan 5 2016, 06:58 PM)
I don't want wake up my body full of white powder. 

And I wonder I will have sex powder on bed with my Wife. 😄
yawn.gif yawn.gif
sniffsniff
post Jan 7 2016, 01:18 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Getting rid of them is not as easy as we think.

It all depends on how far they have spread. I had this problem for years, I mean bed bugs, and I'm allergic to their bites. Even when I used those bed bug proof mattress protector (where they zip lock the entire mattress), it still didn't work because like I said, it depends on where they are hiding (eg floor crevices, clothes, wardrobe, bed frame, mattress, pillow, etc)

Ultimately, I dispose off my bed frame. If you want to use a bed frame, use simple ones, where it's less bulky and less place for those bugs to hide.

Use either of these on a regular basis:
1. alcohol mix (search the forum, can get concentrated alcohol then dilute to 90% concentration and spray everywhere)
2. or use this http://www.demitze.com

I have tried both and they both seems to work. Initally when you first start out, spray every week and if you seem results, meaning no more bites, then reduce the frequency. Nowadays I spray 2-3 months once.

And if you can afford it, adding another layer of those zip lock mattress protector will help. At least no more bugs or mites can enter or leave your mattress.

Hope this helps.

QUOTE(Uniwalker @ Jan 4 2016, 02:12 PM)
Anyone know of a good way of getting rid of bedbugs and dust mites?

Was interested in the Sharp machine, until i found out it's a staggering RM1699. Siao....need a cheaper ( and tried and tested ) alternative.

Some people say steam vacuum. Anyone know/done it in Malaysia?
ozak
post Jan 7 2016, 02:35 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(sniffsniff @ Jan 7 2016, 01:18 PM)

It all depends on how far they have spread. I had this problem for years, I mean bed bugs, and I'm allergic to their bites. Even when I used those bed bug proof mattress protector (where they zip lock the entire mattress), it still didn't work because like I said, it depends on where they are hiding (eg floor crevices, clothes, wardrobe, bed frame, mattress, pillow, etc)

Ultimately, I dispose off my bed frame. If you want to use a bed frame, use simple ones, where it's less bulky and less place for those bugs to hide.

1. alcohol mix (search the forum, can get concentrated alcohol then dilute to 90% concentration and spray everywhere)

I have tried both and they both seems to work. Initally when you first start out, spray every week and if you seem results, meaning no more bites, then reduce the frequency. Nowadays I spray 2-3 months once.

And if you can afford it, adding another layer of those zip lock mattress protector will help. At least no more bugs or mites can enter or leave your mattress.

Hope this helps.
I have this Good night brought from ACE beside the steamer.

But not frequent use and only use on sofa. Cause it is chemical, I don't want spray on the mattress. I will inhale it 8hr everyday. sweat.gif

So for mattress, I still prefer steamer.
TSUniwalker
post Jan 11 2016, 08:49 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(sniffsniff @ Jan 7 2016, 01:18 PM)

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I'll keep a lookout for it!

honkkydorry
post Jun 28 2017, 02:47 PM

On my way
671 posts

Revisiting this topic. I suspect that I have dust mites on my sofa cos I occasionally get bitten. Can't see the damn insect but I can feel the bite which looks like mossie bite but it leaves a scar. Tried to look for the dust mites using magnifier but I dont see anything creeping around the sofa. I don't think it is bed bugs as I don't get bitten on my bed plus I believe beg bugs are visible to the eyes..so far I see nothing.

Anyone knows what type of spray I can use? I couldn't find isopropyl alcohol so I got the methylated alcohol instead which has 90% alcohol. It didn't seem to work.

I don't want to buy a steamer just for this purpose. Any other solution?
wodenus
post Jun 28 2017, 02:52 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(honkkydorry @ Jun 28 2017, 02:47 PM)
Revisiting this topic. I suspect that I have dust mites on my sofa cos I occasionally get bitten. Can't see the damn insect but I can feel the bite which looks like mossie bite but it leaves a scar. Tried to look for the dust mites using magnifier but I dont see anything creeping around the sofa.  I don't think it is bed bugs as I don't get bitten on my bed plus I believe beg bugs are visible to the eyes..so far I see nothing.

Anyone knows what type of spray I can use? I couldn't find isopropyl alcohol so I got the methylated alcohol instead which has 90% alcohol.  It didn't seem to work.

I don't want to buy a steamer just for this purpose.  Any other solution?
You can pay someone with a steamer to steam it. Or you can use a good strong vacuum on it.
honkkydorry
post Jun 28 2017, 03:12 PM

On my way
671 posts

QUOTE(wodenus @ Jun 28 2017, 02:52 PM)
You can pay someone with a steamer to steam it. Or you can use a good strong vacuum on it.
Any contact for steamer? biggrin.gif I have vacuumed the sofa twice but just using normal house vacuum. It didn't work.
wodenus
post Jun 28 2017, 03:14 PM

Tree Octopus
All Stars
14,990 posts

QUOTE(honkkydorry @ Jun 28 2017, 03:12 PM)
Any contact for steamer?  biggrin.gif  I have vacuumed the sofa twice but just using normal house vacuum. It didn't work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sofa+steami...chrome&ie=UTF-8

ozak
post Jun 28 2017, 03:23 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Revisiting this topic. I suspect that I have dust mites on my sofa cos I occasionally get bitten. Can't see the damn insect but I can feel the bite which looks like mossie bite but it leaves a scar. Tried to look for the dust mites using magnifier but I dont see anything creeping around the sofa.  I don't think it is bed bugs as I don't get bitten on my bed plus I believe beg bugs are visible to the eyes..so far I see nothing.

Anyone knows what type of spray I can use? I couldn't find isopropyl alcohol so I got the methylated alcohol instead which has 90% alcohol.  It didn't seem to work.

You get the spray from ACE.

weikee
post Jun 28 2017, 03:29 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,019 posts

Hehe Rainbow vacuum cleaner biggrin.gif
avrilmae
post Jun 28 2017, 03:41 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

They may be able to help you:
https://www.facebook.com/tru3care/
echoesian
post Jun 28 2017, 04:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,257 posts

There is a dust mite vacuum cleaner from Electrolux that has UV light that claim to kill dust mite but not sure the effectiveness
ozak
post Jun 28 2017, 07:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(echoesian @ Jun 28 2017, 04:18 PM)
There is a dust mite vacuum cleaner from Electrolux that has UV light that claim to kill dust mite but not sure the effectiveness
Just get the steamer. 100% effective.

Beside, you can use for garment too.

But not all steamer is certified dust mite.

halcyon27
post Jun 29 2017, 09:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

With wood or cane and fabric, dust mites are inevitable. If the fabric is detechable for washing, it should be washed in 50°C wash. A few TL model comes with this wash option but all FL can wash with bedding program which should set the temperature to 60°C. Now to sell FL in Japan, manufacturers highlight this feature measured in how many dust mites it can kill.

Besides Rainbow, Aura, Hyla, Storm or Karcher, any vacuum cleaner with mattress or upholstery beater apparatus should help somewhat. Sofa with non detachable cover should use steam because it had to be above 50°C but being hidden there, after application, the mattress or upholstery beater apparatus accessory is effective in sucking them out after treatment. It's not just the bite but also their detritus that affects the skin and lungs.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Jun 30 2017, 08:29 AM
hikari
post Jun 29 2017, 11:24 PM

I'm constantly sleepy
1,333 posts

you can give this a try...

https://www.facebook.com/LiniiTasmaniaMalaysia/
akira982443
post Jun 30 2017, 08:32 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

Dyson vacuum and kracher steamer.
ozak
post Jun 30 2017, 09:37 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(halcyon27 @ Jun 29 2017, 09:33 PM)
With wood or cane and fabric, dust mites are inevitable. If the fabric is detechable for washing, it should be washed in 50°C wash. A few TL model comes with this wash option but all FL can wash with bedding program which should set the temperature to 60°C. Now to sell FL in Japan, manufacturers highlight this feature measured in how many dust mites it can kill.

Besides Rainbow, Aura, Hyla, Storm or Karcher, any vacuum cleaner with mattress or upholstery beater apparatus should help somewhat. Sofa with non detachable cover should use steam because it had to be above 50°C but being hidden there, after application, the mattress or upholstery beater apparatus accessory is effective in sucking them out after treatment. It's not just the bite but also their detritus that affects the skin and lungs.
Wash with 60c mostly can kill the dust mite.

But vacuum is not 100%. Flat surface and surface is ok for vacuum. But for those sewing seam area ( a line along which two pieces of fabric are sewn together) and inner layer will have difficult to vacuum penetrate.

And the bed wood joint or hole. Thick pillow, fabric sofa, All this have a hard time for the vacuum to suck deep.

So far I test with vacuum, chemical spray and steamer, only the steamer is the most effective. With the over 100c hot and penetrate deep into fabric, it 100% kill the dust mite.

For sofa, I change to leather. Which is easy to clean kill the dust mite compare fabric.
ozak
post Jun 30 2017, 09:39 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

QUOTE(hikari @ Jun 29 2017, 11:24 PM)
Chemical is the last thing I would use.

You don't know what will your skin and respiratory will react to the chemical.
halcyon27
post Jun 30 2017, 11:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Jun 30 2017, 09:37 AM)
Wash with 60c mostly can kill the dust mite.

But vacuum is not 100%. Flat surface and surface is ok for vacuum. But for those sewing seam area ( a line along which two pieces of fabric are sewn together) and inner layer will have difficult to vacuum penetrate.

And the bed wood joint or hole. Thick pillow, fabric sofa, All this have a hard time for the vacuum to suck deep.

So far I test with vacuum, chemical spray and steamer, only the steamer is the most effective. With the over 100c hot and penetrate deep into fabric, it 100% kill the dust mite.

For sofa, I change to leather. Which is easy to clean kill the dust mite compare fabric.
Yes, steam kills it but the steam has to be 130°C to penetrate these surfaces to guarantee effectiveness. Most garment steamer wand may not reach that temperature and they work best vertically else the steam condense into hot water droplets.

After steaming, don't just leave them and their detritus where they are. Vacuum these surfaces with upholstery beater accessory that can percuss the surface with its specially designed roller beater to stir up dust and those things esp on mattresses or upholstery of sofa, dining chairs (fabric seat), etc. That's why vacuum that's equipped with or have that accessory as an optional purchase is crucial. Those I listed have them.

After steam and vacuum, air dry the pillows or sofa cushions. no drying area, put them in an clean enclosed room and with bare mattress, leave the room AC on in dry mode or use a dehumidifier.

Wood needs special oil that's formulated to kill it yet does not harm the wood.

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Jun 30 2017, 11:54 AM
mhisyam6
post Jun 30 2017, 12:04 PM

Casual
444 posts

use febreeze

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0196sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:32 PM