Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Australia V2, All About working in Australia

views

kagenn
post Nov 30 2022, 08:46 AM

26 posts

QUOTE(keelim @ Nov 30 2022, 06:17 AM)
Is there no waiting list or parents volunteering scheme to join the school?
Do these schools have affiliation towards religion and enrollment priority is given to specific group?
You get enrolled into the school if you live in the catchment area (for NSW at least) and those outside the catchment area can apply to get in if IIRC.

Yes - some schools only accept those of a certain religion, my manager said he tried to enroll his kid into a Catholic school but could not pass the somewhat harsher requirements - had to enroll the kid into a different Christian school further away.
Can't say I fully understand the requirements as I'm pretty much an agnostic.
keelim
post Dec 5 2022, 12:39 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

Found this from ATO. Does the ‘resident’ here mean a tax resident? What are the taxes involved for tax resident to transfer offshore money to onshore?

If you are moving to Australia for the first time, any sum of money that you bring into the country will not be taxable, according to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). However, once you become a resident of Australia, you may be taxed on money you transfer into your Australian account.
limeuu
post Dec 5 2022, 08:57 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(keelim @ Dec 5 2022, 12:39 PM)
Found this from ATO. Does the ‘resident’ here mean a tax resident? What are the taxes involved for tax resident to transfer offshore money to onshore?

If you are moving to Australia for the first time, any sum of money that you bring into the country will not be taxable, according to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). However, once you become a resident of Australia, you may be taxed on money you transfer into your Australian account.
Tax resident, or 183 days or more within Australia. Then remittances inwards may be taken as income and tax imposed.
keelim
post Dec 5 2022, 10:40 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Dec 5 2022, 08:57 PM)
Tax resident, or 183 days or more within Australia. Then remittances inwards may be taken as income and tax imposed.
Thanks. That’s punishing particularly if I am relying on past offshore income to make a capital purchase onshore (eg-home). 3 specific follow-up questions:

1) are there any WHT for transferring out from Aust? Presumably I remit a substantial amount into Aus prior to becoming a ‘tax resident’ (from date of onshore employment?) and didnt make use of it at the end.

2) what if the transfer is made by a spouse who does not hold any job?

3) if an inward remittance is made to family members, what sort of declarations are required to assess taxable income? Any tax avoidance incentives?

This post has been edited by keelim: Dec 5 2022, 10:42 PM
limeuu
post Dec 9 2022, 10:48 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(keelim @ Dec 5 2022, 10:40 PM)
Thanks. That’s punishing particularly if I am relying on past offshore income to make a capital purchase onshore (eg-home). 3 specific follow-up questions:

1) are there any WHT for transferring out from Aust? Presumably I remit a substantial amount into Aus prior to becoming a ‘tax resident’ (from date of onshore employment?) and didnt make use of it at the end.

2) what if the transfer is made by a spouse who does not hold any job?

3) if an inward remittance is made to family members, what sort of declarations are required to assess taxable income? Any tax avoidance incentives?
Not a tax consultant, so cannot comment....
keelim
post Dec 12 2022, 09:53 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Dec 9 2022, 10:48 PM)
Not a tax consultant, so cannot comment....
No problem. I am just slightly concerned when you highlighted that inward remittances are taxable. I couldn’t not find confirmatory evidence.
limeuu
post Dec 12 2022, 05:05 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(keelim @ Dec 12 2022, 09:53 AM)
No problem. I am just slightly concerned when you highlighted that inward remittances are taxable. I couldn’t not find confirmatory evidence.
I said if you are physically in Australia for 183 days or more, you are considered a tax resident. Money received from all sources then may be considered as "income" and taxable. Up to you to manage how such inward remittances are declared to ATO. Malaysia and Australia has a double taxation agreement.
rodeon
post Mar 7 2023, 03:43 PM

48 posts

-

This post has been edited by rodeon: Mar 7 2023, 04:13 PM
rodeon
post Mar 7 2023, 04:13 PM

48 posts

HI All,

Related to Applying PR.

Greetings of the day! If anyone recently done the ACS for computer related assessment, please advise the below query.

May I know what is the right document(s) for below category?

Official government tax records or documents that may include payment summaries, group certificates or notices of assessment (citing company and applicant name)

thanks in advance,

R
limeuu
post Mar 7 2023, 08:01 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(rodeon @ Mar 7 2023, 04:13 PM)
HI All,

Related to Applying PR.

Greetings of the day! If anyone recently done the ACS for computer related assessment, please advise the below query.

May I know what is the right document(s) for below category?

Official government tax records or documents that may include payment summaries, group certificates or notices of assessment (citing company and applicant name)

thanks in advance,

R
Your LHDN tax returns and EA/EC forms. Since it is used to prove your are employed in an IT position in that company, the LHDN returns should include the name of your employer.
rodeon
post Mar 8 2023, 02:40 PM

48 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Mar 7 2023, 08:01 PM)
Your LHDN tax returns and EA/EC forms. Since it is used to prove your are employed in an IT position in that company, the LHDN returns should include the name of your employer.
thank you very much limeuu!
polarzbearz
post Mar 17 2023, 10:14 AM

Hello World
4,697 posts

For those that had taken the AU PR pathway, just wondering if you guys applied for job to get work permit sponsor then only apply for PR, or take up 189/190 equivalents directly for PR without sponsorship?

Would also be curious on those that had taken up 189/190 equivalents on how long the grace period between securing the visa to actually relocating to AU physically and getting a job.

I'm trying to plan for 2nd pathway and are not sure how much appetite AU immigration have if I secured visa 189/190 but needed longer time to find a job before committing physical relocation. I've heard all the horror stories of moving to AU physically with visa but no job even after months before depleting savings and taking up any random jobs so just wanted to better plan around it.
limeuu
post Mar 17 2023, 11:23 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

They normally give you a year after visa grant to make an initial entry, and the RRV that comes with the first visa valid for 3 years.

So you have theoretically 4 years....but if you try to apply for a job from Malaysia, you will hit the "local experience" wall: employers typically want Australian work experience before they are willing to offer you a job.

So people sometimes just go over and try out some temporary or part time jobs first and work their way up.

And unless you are a professional in an in-demand occupation, you may find you cannot get the same kind and level of jobs as your Malaysian one, so "random jobs" are fine and usually pays just as well.
polarzbearz
post Mar 19 2023, 11:59 AM

Hello World
4,697 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Mar 17 2023, 11:23 PM)
They normally give you a year after visa grant to make an initial entry, and the RRV that comes with the first visa valid for 3 years.

So you have theoretically 4 years....but if you try to apply for a job from Malaysia, you will hit the "local experience" wall: employers typically want Australian work experience before they are willing to offer you a job.

So people sometimes just go over and try out some temporary or part time jobs first and work their way up.

And unless you are a professional in an in-demand occupation, you may find you cannot get the same kind and level of jobs as your Malaysian one, so "random jobs" are fine and usually pays just as well.
Assuming I get my PR approved offshore, basically, I'll have to make my first trip to Australia within the first year to get the 3-year validity RRV, then the clock starts for me to sort out my jobs / life / etc. within these 3 years prior the next RRV renewal?

The "Australian Wall" seems to be very real from what I hear & read - also the reason why I'm worried about leaving my current (good) career without first securing a job in AU - I don't mind lower seniority jobs or taking a few steps / foots back in my career, but just worried about the pay considering that the tax brackets and living costs are much higher compared to MY (and I still have dependents to feed back in MY)
Will probably consider the contracted route when the time comes. Gotta focus on getting the visa first sweat.gif

Thanks so much for the insights!
limeuu
post Mar 19 2023, 05:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

If you are claiming a regulated profession in Australia, you should get that accredited as soon as possible, as a first step. Australia is a highly regulated country, you need certifications for almost anything and everything. Technically, even changing a light bulb...
polarzbearz
post Mar 19 2023, 06:38 PM

Hello World
4,697 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Mar 19 2023, 05:28 PM)
If you are claiming a regulated profession in Australia, you should get that accredited as soon as possible, as a first step. Australia is a highly regulated country, you need certifications for almost anything and everything. Technically, even changing a light bulb...
Yup - I'll be claiming the accreditation of my ICT Professional skills through the ACS Skilled Assessment. Currently prepping the documents and pending for the letter from my employer before I can submit. Seems like it'll easily take 12 weeks just for the assessment sweat.gif
limeuu
post Mar 19 2023, 07:04 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

IT is in great demand at the moment, and there should not be any problem getting jobs. Entry level IT jobs should already be getting AUD80k+.
sawannaibaan
post Mar 20 2023, 09:41 PM

32 posts

QUOTE(polarzbearz @ Mar 19 2023, 06:38 PM)
Yup - I'll be claiming the accreditation of my ICT Professional skills through the ACS Skilled Assessment. Currently prepping the documents and pending for the letter from my employer before I can submit. Seems like it'll easily take 12 weeks just for the assessment sweat.gif
i did mine with CPA Australia recently and it took nearly 4 months before they get back to me on the assessment outcome, due to the huge surge in applicants.

One of the other assessment bodies even suspended their express service since they r unable to cope with the volume.

Hope the ACS process their applicants faster than CPA.
polarzbearz
post Mar 20 2023, 11:13 PM

Hello World
4,697 posts

QUOTE(sawannaibaan @ Mar 20 2023, 09:41 PM)
i did mine with CPA Australia recently and it took nearly 4 months before they get back to me on the assessment outcome, due to the huge surge in applicants.

One of the other assessment bodies even suspended their express service since they r unable to cope with the volume.

Hope the ACS process their applicants faster than CPA.
Oh well, fingers crossed and see how it goes. Just curious for Payment Evidences (I assume there are similar requirements), what did you all use?

Initially I was thinking Payslip + Bank Statement + either EPF or Tax Return but the latter two are mostly in Bahasa rclxub.gif
sawannaibaan
post Mar 21 2023, 10:05 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(polarzbearz @ Mar 20 2023, 11:13 PM)
Oh well, fingers crossed and see how it goes. Just curious for Payment Evidences (I assume there are similar requirements), what did you all use?

Initially I was thinking Payslip + Bank Statement + either EPF or Tax Return but the latter two are mostly in Bahasa rclxub.gif
The payslips are good enough. If you dont have it, then u may need to provide the EPF/ tax returns.
And yes, u need to get it translated to english and verified.

Try to get the payslips, it saves u the hassle from doing all those translations or certifications.

I called up/emailed my ex companies to retrieve the payslips from the system.

262 Pages « < 259 260 261 262 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.50    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:53 AM