Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Smart Home, Let's discuss

views

celciuz
post Jan 19 2021, 08:51 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

Hello guys! I'm planning to make my new home smarter with some usages of smart switches. I'm an Apple user so I'm looking for HomeKit compatible. If the switches are marketed as HomeKit compatible, does it mean I can do a. or b.? Also for these zigbee 3.0, the hub and switch will talk to each other regardless of the brand?

a. Switch --> HomeKit
b. Switch --> Hub --> HomeKit

However... though my home just received keys back in Dec'20 but my wiring sigh, wasn't wired with neutral at the switch. So after some surveying around... my best bet would be...

a. wire back from the lighting point to the switch (assuming I can get into the conduit)
b. loop from nearby 13A, but the other question I have also is... one of my switches, the lights and fans are R1 while the aircond is Y5 (so I guess they are of difference phase and I won't be able to loop them this way right?)
celciuz
post Dec 9 2022, 07:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

I will be setting up Aqara system for my house, using the M2 as hub.

I use DC Moto for the autogate, there's a cable to connect to the motor to open close... what's the best way for me to integrate this to the hub?

Is it using the Aqara T1?
celciuz
post Dec 11 2022, 01:57 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(simmarjit @ Dec 11 2022, 09:51 AM)
Just use a sonoff relay its wifi based.
Able to integrate to Aqara or even better if HomeKit.

QUOTE(dest9116 @ Dec 11 2022, 11:19 AM)
Is there a reason you want to integrate with aqara? Home kit?
Yes, for HomeKit. Cause I integrate with lifesmart blinds and curtain motors.
celciuz
post Jan 7 2023, 07:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(dcs* @ Jan 7 2023, 01:50 AM)
Thank you! I will definitely check if there is neutral and if it can be pulled since the house is still under renovation.

Any other areas I should lookout for? Still very new at this and reading up as much as I can, just worried I would miss out something.
If house is under renovation, you should definitely pull them. I added neutral for all my switches point, am using Aqara D1 with neutral (mainly as I'm using HomeKit integration). This Sonoff M5 switch really look good compare to Aqara D1.
celciuz
post Jan 7 2023, 10:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(dcs* @ Jan 7 2023, 02:24 PM)
Just checked and there is a neutral so that's good.

Any issues you faced with the Aqara D1 so far? Anything else I should be aware with these smart switches that you can advise? Thanks!
I'm using Global hub, some older China switches do pair... but some of the switches has region lock... I'm guessing newer firmware perhaps?

Eventually I guess I will buy a China hub instead, use China Aqara server... but I'm using HomeKit most of the time anyways.

Surprised to see your switches have neutral line there! What switches are you using now? is the neutral wire just idling behind the current switches?
celciuz
post Jan 7 2023, 11:30 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

I see, but I'm using iOS so... I don't think that's available for me sad.gif.

Well my last resort is to get China hub la, the China switches I am able to just do HomeKit mode and connect directly as well. Just I will lose the capability to monitor consumptions etc.
celciuz
post Jan 8 2023, 12:04 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(dcs* @ Jan 8 2023, 12:01 AM)
Renovating the whole house so they re-did the wiring and all. They did pull a neutral wire so it's good.

What about the response for turning the switches on/off? Is it rather quick? Also any issues with connecting 'too many' smart switch? This Sonoff Switchman M5 is using WiFi so just wondering if this will be an issue. Would you happen to know?
hmm.gif if I use Aqara app, it is has some lag (I'm guessing its via server). When I use Apple Home, its instant. Even the Wi-Fi S1E switches that I have are also instant.
celciuz
post Jan 27 2023, 11:02 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(fattybombibi @ Jan 25 2023, 08:59 PM)
hi - was doing some research and stumble upon your reply that closely related to what i'm looking for.... if i may ask,

currently i have Aqara A100 Zigbee (international version, bought from Aqara Lazada MY)
i am planning to buy Aqara Curtain Driver E1 and also Aqara G3 Camera Hub from Taobao China...
i understand that i still can use them here as long as i use "China" region in Aqara app....
but my question is, since my digital lock is "other" region, can it still pair with the China region camera hub?
or, can i set automation at Apple HomeKit i.e. if A100 unlock then G3 start recording / if A100 arm mode then G3 start recording etc.
My situation is that I have

Aqara M2 Hub (international) which pairs to several D1 Neutral China switches (some of the newer stocks don't work, but workaround is just run it in HomeKit mode then no issue). So far those I bought still sufficient so I didn't bother la. I'm connected to "other" for the M2 Hub. So far what I know is the newer stocks have region lock already... so it may or might not work for you. Last resort, do HomeKit mode.

I have then about 3 S1E switches which connects to Wi-Fi, this one is paired to China server directly. My switches talk to each other via HomeKit so they are all visible in HomeKit. My automation also I set from HomeKit, as I've another LifeSmart hub which controls my roller blinds and curtains.

This post has been edited by celciuz: Jan 27 2023, 11:03 AM
celciuz
post Feb 2 2023, 08:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(Oltromen Ripot @ Feb 1 2023, 10:12 AM)
bought a few MOES "16A Zigbee UK wall socket". Just got around to have it installed during recent CNY weekend and last weekend.

Strike 1 - apparently it is only in 13A, description is hoax.

Strike 2 - it only switch on briefly when initially supplied with power. it will switch off a few seconds after, never to come back again until next power recycle. (so i need to play with MCB just to see that few seconds of blip.) I put a desk lamp as load; it never lights up even when appearing switched on (briefly) through Smart Life.

Strike 3 - the Shopee seller is not responding quickly and actively over our 3 days of engagement. I think later he will even question the colour of the wire in my mock proof-of-concept to demonstrate the issue. Or, why I am not installing it in the wall.
How did you identify if its 13A only instead of 16A, MCB trips? or the unit burn when you load higher power items?

I did consider this brand before... now I'm gonna avoid it.
celciuz
post Feb 4 2023, 11:19 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Feb 4 2023, 10:48 PM)
meaning you cant control the fridge from the app? then what's the purpose for linking with app lol. just to check status?
My LG fridge is linked, I’m able to change temperature settings.

user posted image
celciuz
post Feb 5 2023, 10:15 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Feb 5 2023, 12:11 AM)
off topic a bit.... how long have you used your LG fridge? which model? any issues so far?
LG-GCC247UGBM, side by side door model black glass with small opening for drinks.

Can’t comment much cause just powered up on Dec’22. The fridge is silent 👍🏻 (maybe because new 😂).
celciuz
post Feb 18 2023, 05:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

Still struggling to have my auto gate connected 😅 so I bought this Wi-Fi relay which support HomeKit. All good when I use USB 5V. Then I tapped the 12V battery and it doesn’t work sigh.

Need help 🥲
user posted image
user posted image
celciuz
post Feb 20 2023, 03:44 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(Oltromen Ripot @ Feb 18 2023, 06:48 PM)
Aiyo.... You aren't supposed to supply different Voltage....
Ampere slightly higher is okay; device will use and pull according to its need. But different Voltage, ... aiyo.... you better pray that thing isn't fried and can last as design intent.
The board is designed to take in USB 5V, or DC 8-80V. So 12V from battery is within specs.

QUOTE(adamw @ Feb 18 2023, 09:42 PM)
Just get a 12V to 5v converter, problem solved. If you are in KV I got extra. I used it to convert my 12v solar battery to charged phone & also power up my 5V DC IP camera.
I'm not sure if using 5V would work now... but I'll try with an external 12V supply perhaps.

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 19 2023, 09:43 PM)
Autogate box there should have 12v power what, why do you connect it to the battery?

Anyway, I also used a usb to power my relay and connect the relay to the switches in my house instead of having to install it in my autogate box. It only draw very minimal power (<1w). I did so to avoid having it baked in the sun and also for wifi stability.
How do you wire the usb to power the relay and where do you hide the board? Can share some images for ideas? biggrin.gif. Yes the power draw is tiny... not sure why it doesn't power up with the 12V battery.

QUOTE(epicure @ Feb 20 2023, 09:35 AM)
My ewelink 2 channel autogate switch works with the same logic as yours. I can hook it up via micro usb to a normal power adapter (5V1A) or to a 12V battery via the terminals (which i am using). I think you should look for your seller to get some feedback/trouble shooting . Hope your board is not defective.
Yes, trying to contact the seller back... weird the 12V battery didn't work, but the USB working. I prefer to connect it indoor as I have another switch internal... but problem is don't know where to hide the board.
celciuz
post Feb 21 2023, 08:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

Apple HomeKit automation is a bit dumb... cannot do the If Else checking aiyo. Aqara built in also can do, however it is server based.

I can also use the system together with Home Assistant?
celciuz
post Feb 21 2023, 08:56 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 21 2023, 08:47 AM)
Erm, I just bare it all out since old house. Hahaha... Actually I did think of hiding using it with a powerbank and I trial it for 2weeks because I thought would be cool to be able to use it when electricity is down only to realize later that the router will be down too. Might return one day if I could find a mifi device cheaply.
Alamak laugh.gif my switches are low... kids can access and I don't want to have cables dangling LOL. That's why I planned to fit at my the autogate box instead.
celciuz
post Feb 21 2023, 10:55 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 21 2023, 09:18 AM)
But aint autogate all running on DC? The switches inside your house is just a trigger, and your relay powered by 5v charger. I don't see a problem there.

Anyway, try connecting it to the board instead. I think the problem lies with the 7.2Ah battery.

Your autogate box inside got a blackbox for remote? If got then just connect the power source for the relay according to the black box black and red cable. Make sure you get the +/- terminal correctly. You can actually search shopee for autogate relay and find those with few hundreds review. Many ppl shared how they connect it. I dont see anyone running it via that 7.2ah battery.
Is it the one on the right hand side? The socket is “RF Receiver”?
user posted image
celciuz
post Feb 21 2023, 01:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Feb 21 2023, 12:07 PM)
Yours is a bit different from most people. Usually we have whole row of the green terminals to connect everything. No wonder you're thinking to connect to battery.

I think you need to modify a bit. Use a voltmeter to check either the RF +/- or the hybrid control black and red. See which one can provide the suitable voltage.
nod.gif yeah just ordered a multimeter the other day to probe around biggrin.gif
celciuz
post Mar 9 2023, 02:46 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(loonsave @ Mar 9 2023, 09:25 AM)
Good question. Don't think it's wire that no longer in use because still connected to current switch.
There’s the extra black cable but you said it’s connected to the switch? Connected to where? The Live portion?

Or is this for the 20A switches?
celciuz
post Mar 9 2023, 05:09 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(loonsave @ Mar 9 2023, 03:26 PM)
It look like this, that's why I thought it is neutral wire.

user posted image
This is a 2 gang switch? Yellow and red goes to light/fan?
Live is blue? Then yellow is it loop to another switch?

celciuz
post Mar 13 2023, 11:01 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,512 posts

QUOTE(simmarjit @ Mar 13 2023, 10:45 PM)
For me the least headache is going all with Aqara stuff.
Yes, I’m using Aqara since Dec’22. So far so good, only got one switch not sure why it randomly kept flashing red. Had to reset and pair again.

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0280sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:22 PM