5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is working in Australia all that great?

views

frontierzone
post Aug 26 2014, 09:05 AM

Enthusiast
715 posts

I've frequently heard of the argument that there's this glass ceiling that Asians face in corporate careers, especially up to certain level there will be a glass ceiling. Is this true or more of a myth?
SUSalaskanbunny
post Aug 26 2014, 10:34 AM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Aug 26 2014, 04:46 AM)
Managers salary in Malaysia and not even 6 figures p/a??? What kind of manager is that? And now she getting 7 figure salary per annum in AUD? Something is not right with your info.
hisap weed ke.. all managers 6 digit p.a.?

6 digit aud ler... jgn putar

malas mau layan kau la..
rickrick
post Aug 26 2014, 10:41 AM

Perth please be good to my business !!
505 posts

come to perth, earn money, not much entertainment ( u can save $$$ )
Racism is always there but you got to live with it.
part time job is easy to find, just love the slow and laidback style ( Only in Perth rclxms.gif )
While in melbourne, sydney, brisbane are full of foreigners and asians

babykon101
post Aug 26 2014, 12:42 PM

Bodyslammin' Sailormoon
584 posts

Well, can't really blame them. Asians are good in crunching numbers and being sort of "nerd" to a point.

But pay is well there, I saw lots of people jump ship go there pluck grapes, apples etc. Earn more than fresh grad here bro.
cybermaster98
post Aug 26 2014, 01:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Aug 26 2014, 10:34 AM)
hisap weed ke.. all managers 6 digit p.a.?

6 digit aud ler... jgn putar

malas mau layan kau la..
I didnt putar anything. You clearly made a mistake. If u wanna tell stories then at least make sure its logical yea.

This is what you said:
'in msia not even 6 figures myr p.a'

Which means that she was earning max RM99,999 per annum or max RM8,333 per month. This clearly means she was a low level manager here in Malaysia.

The you said:
'lucky her more than 6 figures aud'

If more than 6 figures, that means minimum 7 figure AUD salary per annum meaning min she would be getting per month is AUD83,000.

So she jumped from earning RM 8,333 to her current salary of AUD83,000 per month. Does this make sense to you? If u are telling the truth then do provide more details like position, company, location. If not its just empty tin kosong talk.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Aug 26 2014, 01:25 PM
aus866
post Aug 26 2014, 01:49 PM

33 posts

To say Banglas, etc are similar situation is no longer current as in Singapore/ Malaysia, got quite a lot of top computer technology, lawyers and accountancy people have same colour.

Racism is mostly subtle in Australia now. Just don't be stupid to walk on the street which have Pauline hanson supporters or other supremacist walking around.
The more violent problems during my university days comes from some of the fresh immigrants from China, Vietnam, Africa etc,etc. Most of them I found are over sensitive to things and very reactive. This kind of behavior bring a bad name to other Asians.
Yes a lot of pommies (white brits) are immigrating down under because of the large number of immigrants entering there and warmer weather.
Loneliness is a common problem there but if you make friends easily and not rude, Australia is a better place to live.

This post has been edited by aus866: Aug 26 2014, 01:53 PM
SUSalaskanbunny
post Aug 26 2014, 04:17 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Aug 26 2014, 01:24 PM)
I didnt putar anything. You clearly made a mistake. If u wanna tell stories then at least make sure its logical yea.

This is what you said:
'in msia not even 6 figures myr p.a'

Which means that she was earning max RM99,999 per annum or max RM8,333 per month. This clearly means she was a low level manager here in Malaysia.

The you said:
'lucky her more than 6 figures aud'

If more than 6 figures, that means minimum 7 figure AUD salary per annum meaning min she would be getting per month is AUD83,000.

So she jumped from earning RM 8,333 to her current salary of AUD83,000 per month. Does this make sense to you? If u are telling the truth then do provide more details like position, company, location. If not its just empty tin kosong talk.
8.3k per month low pay for u ok lor... to me is high... 3 years from fresh

6 figures aud... 1xxk, prolly mistake in my explaination
cybermaster98
post Aug 26 2014, 05:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Aug 26 2014, 04:17 PM)
8.3k per month low pay for u ok lor... to me is high... 3 years from fresh

6 figures aud... 1xxk, prolly mistake in my explaination
Yes 6 figures AUD is acceptable. Not 7 figures. What position is she anyway?
cybermaster98
post Aug 26 2014, 05:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Aug 26 2014, 04:12 PM)
my fren she dump her msian citizenship to become aussie citizen. Now 15 years there, working at a bank.

she complain that the asian no opportunity for promotion at that bank, only the whites get promotion.

and the whites play politics at the asians..even the asian can perform, only do the routine work.
What position was she holding when she was in Malaysia and what position is she in Australia?
SUSalaskanbunny
post Aug 26 2014, 05:55 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Aug 26 2014, 05:48 PM)
Yes 6 figures AUD is acceptable. Not 7 figures. What position is she anyway?
team lead, leading managers in msia... lol
hihihehe
post Aug 26 2014, 05:57 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,451 posts

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Aug 26 2014, 04:12 PM)
my fren she dump her msian citizenship to become aussie citizen. Now 15 years there, working at a bank.

she complain that the asian no opportunity for promotion at that bank, only the whites get promotion.

and the whites play politics at the asians..even the asian can perform, only do the routine work.
but not 100% all of them. i have a friend(malaysian) working with ANZ and become senior manager in just 4-5 years from fresh grad. you have to work smart not hard
frontierzone
post Aug 26 2014, 11:20 PM

Enthusiast
715 posts

On the other hand, we also hear of people often quoting this 'Penny Wong' the Finance Minister under Gillard, as an example to counter the so-called glass ceiling faced by Asians. And also use that to strengthen the argument that Malaysians can succeed anywhere.

This post has been edited by frontierzone: Aug 26 2014, 11:21 PM
segamatboy
post Aug 27 2014, 01:13 AM

On my way
637 posts

Ask your friend how did a Malaysian girl ended up as Westpac head of finance??? My cousin who also works at Westpac also said she is also the branch's head of PMO. Racism??? Glass ceiling??? Sure doesnt hold water.

QUOTE(manickam123 @ Aug 26 2014, 07:28 PM)
no idea, thats what i got from her story.
This post has been edited by segamatboy: Aug 27 2014, 05:02 AM
segamatboy
post Aug 27 2014, 01:49 AM

On my way
637 posts

Asians were brought up to study hard and work hard. Study smart and work smart are alien concept.Got the degree and work hard after a few years and cant get promotion...must be us vs them. In OZ, it is the orang putih vs the Asians. So must be racial discrimination. Put the same Malaysian in Singapore. cant get a promotion after a few years...again it us vs them. Cant be racial discrimination since have the same skin colour. Find another excuse. eg degree/diploma discrimination

QUOTE(frontierzone @ Aug 26 2014, 11:20 PM)
On the other hand, we also hear of people often quoting this 'Penny Wong' the Finance Minister under Gillard, as an example to counter the so-called glass ceiling faced by Asians. And also use that to strengthen the argument that Malaysians can succeed anywhere.
SUSsylar111
post Aug 27 2014, 12:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,547 posts

QUOTE(segamatboy @ Aug 27 2014, 01:49 AM)
Asians were brought up to study hard and work hard. Study smart and work smart are alien concept.Got the degree and work hard after a few years  and cant get promotion...must be us vs them. In OZ, it is the orang putih vs the Asians. So must be racial discrimination. Put the same Malaysian in Singapore. cant get a promotion after a few years...again it us vs them. Cant be racial discrimination since have the same skin colour. Find another excuse. eg  degree/diploma discrimination
You are really wrong here.

Malaysians in general do not have issues with Singaporeans as the culture is almost similar except that it is a little more faster paced over in Singapore. Also in general, Malaysians who go there are prepared for lower salary because of exchange rate. In fact for most cases, it's the other way round. Singaporeans are blaming Malaysians of taking their jobs. Malaysians always have the choice to go back to Malaysia if things go bad. So there can be very little complaints.

Your assumption is that Oz are as efficient even though they are lazy. That they study smart. I seriously think you are living in a cave. I think right now Asians are generally known to be more efficient in general. If race was a non issue, Asians in general will be recognize to be more productive. Obviously, you have not been paying attention and thus writing the nonsense you are writing now.

Note that Penny Wong and perhaps even your cousin is a little different because they were practically raised over in Australia and is considered an australian.

Racism in Australia is well documented. Please be informed and get off your shell instead of licking the butts of the whites will ya?

This post has been edited by sylar111: Aug 27 2014, 12:52 PM
KVReninem
post Aug 27 2014, 11:24 PM

IX
5,369 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Aug 25 2014, 06:37 PM)
sis is living in sydney... good pay, 7x her msian pay after converting.. renting a room at a $4mill aud bungalow.. live is great... got car got $$$ got nice house... i will go there every year just to hv holis...
why rent? lol if she`s smart should have bought here and become richer doh.gif
KVReninem
post Aug 27 2014, 11:26 PM

IX
5,369 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Aug 25 2014, 08:03 PM)
talking bout gross... and she's making a managers salary back in msia... when she moved to aus, she got pushed up 2 bands above her msian paygrade.. lucky her

more than 6 figures aud, in msia not even 6 figures myr p.a.
damn, that is alot in her tax bracket to pay the govt shakehead.gif
KVReninem
post Aug 27 2014, 11:29 PM

IX
5,369 posts

QUOTE(rickrick @ Aug 26 2014, 01:41 PM)
come to perth, earn money, not much entertainment ( u can save $$$ )
Racism is always there but you got to live with it.
part time job is easy to find, just love the slow and laidback style ( Only in Perth  rclxms.gif )
While in melbourne, sydney, brisbane are full of foreigners and asians
well, this day its drying. rolleyes.gif due to mining slowdown
SUSalaskanbunny
post Aug 27 2014, 11:39 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(KVReninem @ Aug 27 2014, 11:24 PM)
why rent? lol if she`s smart should have bought here and become richer doh.gif
buying properties in certain countries is not profitable.. and also she n her bf just decided to settle down for now in sydney... previously considering melbourne.. probably will buy after marriage

4mill house vs the rent she pays... damn worth it mang

QUOTE(KVReninem @ Aug 27 2014, 11:26 PM)
damn, that is alot in her  tax bracket to pay the govt shakehead.gif
there earn peanuts also kena tax gao gao... if you work at mcds also around 36k already... so 6 figures is not susprising
KVReninem
post Aug 28 2014, 12:32 AM

IX
5,369 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Aug 28 2014, 02:39 AM)
buying properties in certain countries is not profitable.. and also she n her bf just decided to settle down for now in sydney... previously considering melbourne.. probably will buy after marriage

4mill house vs the rent she pays... damn worth it mang
there earn peanuts also kena tax gao gao... if you work at mcds also around 36k already... so 6 figures is not susprising
well, probably she have not seen the other side of parking the taxes she paid to property..ask accounting people, you will know. rolleyes.gif

yeah, thats the nature of tax, but you can file tax return to get it back. Tax already taken 40% off her 6 fig salary....

This post has been edited by KVReninem: Aug 28 2014, 12:33 AM

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0209sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:44 PM