Unifi Official TM UniFi High Speed Broadband Thread V17

views

andrew9292
post Feb 3 2013, 10:49 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

user posted image

Right...
When 1st sign up 4.9Mbps/4.8, few months later 4.8Mbps/4.7...this month, 4.7Mbps/4.6.

I realize that if u cut .1Mbps from 50 users, u can serve one extra 5Mbps account...

One more time... then...well......
andrew9292
post Feb 20 2013, 12:45 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(darren_yuri @ Feb 19 2013, 12:38 AM)
Sorry again, my UniFi router is DIR-615, but i have another old router, which is Belkin Enhanced Wireless Router N150 F6D4230-4 .

Can i replace the UniFi router to Belkin mentioned above ?
If u dont plan to spend on getting a new router, this guide is for you: http://unifi.athena.my/custom_routers.php
Use Method 2 to accomplish it. I did it and it works fine.

What it basically does in simple terms is, route and ouput VLAN 500 (Internet/IP) to Port3 of TM's 615.
While retaining VLAN 600 (IPTV) at Port4. This way you still can have IPTV access from the original 615.
Refer to the 2nd diagram for a better understanding. (altho he didnt draw iptv connection out, he mentioned it should work, and i've tested, it works)

Then after the configuration all you need to do is plug your Belkin's WAN port to TM's 615 @ Port 3, and set up as normal PPPoE.
Eg. Just type xxx@unifi and your password. But please read and understand what u're doin if not familiar/techy person. Also you should backup your current configuration from Administration tab in 615's firmware, shall anything go wrong a simple restore will do. Remember your username n password too notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Feb 20 2013, 12:54 AM
andrew9292
post Mar 1 2013, 03:24 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

Yea, thats how crazy things can get when you have low bandwidth. I wonder is there any scientific relation with internet speed to anger.... lol. If there is, i want to defend my rights to good mental state n health. lol! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Mar 1 2013, 03:25 PM
andrew9292
post Mar 3 2013, 01:31 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(WallaceZai @ Mar 2 2013, 05:53 PM)
Hey guys may i know what is the default wireless channel for Unifi? Currently using 6.. but my wireless signal is quite weak..
If using windows, download and run InSSIDer, it will allow you to check which channels are not used by each wifi around you. Select a channel not used by your neighbours. As for signal strength n range, nothin much you can do unless you change firmware to ddwrt for increasing transmit power, or geta unifi compatible router.

Be reminded that wifi is a technology that involves 'two people talking'. While you can increase transmit power to have the router 'shout' louder to you. You will have to should as loud for the router to hear you if it isnt sensitive enough. That is why increasing tx power might ormight not help at all.
andrew9292
post Mar 3 2013, 01:38 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 2 2013, 03:17 PM)
Wanna ask u guys face lag problem when watching hd movie n at the same time line playing on line game. Router use is tp ,line 1043nd. Question is the router problem or others, or shall i change to Asus rt16n router. Suggestion needed. tq
Try pinging 8.8.8.8 -n 50 (that is the command to ping 50 times) before watching a hd video and let it contiune once you start loading a video... The ping should be abt 10ms when not watching n should shoot up to 200 or more while loading/buffering the video. This means your line has reached its limit n is saturating... Only way to overcome this is by turning on QOS. If the ping is relatively stable it might mean your computer is nt powerfull enough to decode the video, causing lag in your games

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Mar 3 2013, 01:44 AM
andrew9292
post Mar 3 2013, 02:07 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(Dickong @ Mar 3 2013, 07:13 AM)
BRO, the lag come from tv but on line game no lag at all. I am using tv to watch hd movie from the iptv box n playing game from the computer. rclxub.gif
Right, in that case just report to tm n get them over to check. Erm vdsl based unifi more prone to this, but check anyways =>
andrew9292
post Mar 18 2013, 07:01 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(medwolf @ Mar 18 2013, 02:26 PM)
hey all sifu,
i just bought TP-Link TL-WR841N Ver 7.2 .
i already tried to setup it but failed at the final stage.
it said fail to configure router and check WAN perimeter.

i already searching around the web and wonder if it because of need to custom firmware?
how to do this? can someone guide me?

*at the box doesnt say that it is for unifi
http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/details...model=TL-WR841N

>click download
>under software, click 'firmware' of the version of the router you have. do not mix up the version.
>once at firmware page, select the firmware that says 'support unifi users' or firmwares that are produced after that firmware (latest)
>flash it into your router, after finished flash and reboot, wait a min, then power off for 15sec and power on again to ensure everything is done correctly (router internal sofware needs to update and reset properly, just in case)
>when you set up, should be able to select your ISP, which is TM/Unifi.

not sure of all version of 841 can support unifi, on the website only v7 and v8 has unifi firmware, you will need to confirm with tplink or other sifus out here if yours is not those version
notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Mar 18 2013, 07:04 PM
andrew9292
post Mar 29 2013, 01:15 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

http://www.euronews.com/2013/03/28/spam-ro...r-cyber-attack/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...ber-attack.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/27/tech/mas...internet-attack

Large scale worldwide cyberattack currently taking place might be the cause for global slowdown... sos above
notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Mar 29 2013, 01:16 AM
andrew9292
post Apr 4 2013, 01:44 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(vincentxiang @ Apr 3 2013, 11:09 PM)
i received sms notification from tm about installation of unifi:
Dear Valued Customer
Please be informed that your UniFi installation will be held on 06/04/2013 AM session (in between 9:30 AM until 1:00 PM)
- Please prepare Multiple Extension Plug and Television (TV)

if i dont have TV, may i ask them just leave tv modem there n not need do installation? i merely just want get fast access internet from unifi sweat.gif
Yeah they can do that, but you will need to pay service fees if you need them to activate IPTV service at a later time unless you could do it yourself... Exactly how much i'm not sure...
andrew9292
post Apr 8 2013, 09:26 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(Isky @ Apr 8 2013, 02:15 AM)
Hey folks,

After holding off on signing up for Unifi or Maxis FTTH for a while to see how things developed, I'm about ready to sign up for one. Right now, I'm definitely leaning towards Unifi, despite the 5MB difference in speed being offered. I do realize both Unifi and Maxis FTTH have their fair share of problems and unhappy customers, and being a screamyx subscriber, I've had more than my fair share of dealing with TM helpdesk.

So why I'm leaning towards Unifi?

1. High ping rates on Maxis due to routing issues. While I don't game, I assume that high ping will affect other things like video conferencing.
2. No issue with private / public ip.
3. Better options for router / modem replacement
4. HyppTV - give my sis something to watch to keep her off the net, even if it's just free channels.
5. Throttling?? I know Maxis users are complaining about getting throttled from 8pm-2pm, while Unifi users seem to come back with mixed responses, some complaining of slow downloading while most of my friends on Unifi are not having issues. Can anyone clarify?
6. Ethics...I'm not saying TM is particularly ethical, but I really dislike how the new Maxis FTTH promotion ad blatantly states unlimited quota, when we all know it's just until further notice. At least Unifi is a bit more upfront about the quota. Traffic shaping is another story, of course.
7. The devil you know...after all these years as a TM customer, I sort of know what to expect.

So, did I get anything wrong? Or miss out anything?
If i were to put the past streamyx experience aside, TM has done a really great job with hsbb-unifi so far...

Only drawback is the stability of the provided router, for biz package as an example, if a f&b or retail premise were to use TM's router with >10 or so device connected, it will bootloop after a few minutes or become plain unresponsive.
Other than that piece of equiptment which is even worse on Maxis's side, nothing else.

Yes there were slow download sometimes, but it is in line with international reports of communication breakdown events like submarine cable cut or cyberattacks. When it's over, it's back to normal so i don't think their announcements are covers of any sort. Recent power spike caused extensive damage to TTDI exchange and wide outages but it was up again within a day or 2, confirmed as i live around this area. It's not easy to replace or even reconfigure enterprise grade equiptment or backbone systems imo so they are quite dedicated.

As of now, things are more or less perfect and it should be cuz we are paying one of the highest price per Mbps in this region.

Cant speak for the future of course tongue.gif

QUOTE(misswijaya123 @ Apr 8 2013, 02:48 AM)
i signed up for free deposit for foreigner less than a week ago

i want to ask for the first billing system,  is it compulsory to pay 1month bill+1month advance bill in one time payment?

and is there any installation fee charged upon new unifi subscriber? thanks
In normal cases, yes 1+1 month deposit. Unless the agent you sign up with has different terms.
Installation is waived unless your premise exceed the 'standard installation' protocols, it is better for you to visit TM or call them up to find out about your questions. Who knows they might have new or different terms for foreigners hence its best to contact them directly.

QUOTE(Need-4-Speed @ Apr 8 2013, 11:10 AM)
Hi everyone,

Have Unifi installed in the office for 1 month now. And we are having major problems with the WIFI connection. The connections drops occasionally. Security was set to WPA. Tried MAC locking, and all users were dropping connection very frequently. Switched to WEP and only 6users could log on at 1 time. Have today returned to WPA and so far no problems yet. (still early in the day)

Have read thru some of the pages here, especially on the replacement routers recommended by the KLSEET website. Where does one get the Unifi patch/firmware for the various routers? i.e. TP-Link

Thanks in advance.
It's available on their official website. Support > Download > Choose router and hardware version > Choose firmware that states 'for Unifi users' or firmwares after that 'for unifi user' firmware's release date (latest)
That's for tp-link btw, others im not too sure =>

QUOTE(twenty6 @ Apr 8 2013, 01:31 PM)
Hi,

I need some input from all the sifu here.

I am a VIP5 customer up until I move to a different house on 4/2/2013. So I went to TMPoint to apply for relocation. However, they cannot confirm at TMPoint whether my new address got Unifi coverage and said a technician will come and check.

So to cut the story short. Only last week that TM confirmed that my new address DO NOT have Unifi coverage due to port not available. They can only tell me that additional port will be available after 31/5/2013. However, this date is not confirm.

My question is should I terminate Unifi now and come June apply for new application? If I dont terminate I need to keep paying my Unifi bill and TM will rebate later when I have Unifi up and running. In addition, I have to pay the relocation fee.

If I terminate now, I save money by not continuing to pay the Unifi bill and also save the relocation fee (assuming that new installation still waive installation fee).

Any input will be much appreciated.
Well, it comes down to... Do you mind spending money or saving money; and the part you mentioned about paying now and rebate later is not in the contract terms? http://www.tm.com.my/unifi/home/Pages/contract-terms.aspx
Better ask them for b/w otherwise you might be at a losing end.

I have friends that waited >1 year due to 'no port'. Also have them whom get it shortly after the date stipulated. So i think it's luck. Anyone else with similar experience here?
andrew9292
post Apr 8 2013, 11:34 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

International servers a little slower, SEA-ME-WE 4 outage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21963100
http://www.tm.com.my/about-tm/media-centre...PEUNDERWAY.aspx
andrew9292
post Apr 14 2013, 08:49 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(Deathmax @ Apr 14 2013, 03:37 PM)
Does anyone have an issue where the router just stops responding completely then comes back a few seconds later?

user posted image

Using the TM supplied DIR-615 over wifi.
Download inssider n scan your surrounding wifi channels, use a less congested or clear channel =>
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Turn off router firewall n use pc based instead, that router cnt really cope with it's lousy pocessor.

Alternatively, get a better router, visit klseet.com , under replacement option summary or most tech stores nowadays will know which router is compatible
andrew9292
post Apr 17 2013, 01:24 AM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(BBXiong @ Apr 16 2013, 05:27 PM)
Hi, just checked with TM call centre, they say that after 24 months contract, if i wish to downgrade, I need to either pay RM200 penalty charge or renew another 24 months contract for the new package..

anyone here manage to downgrade without any charges or contract duration extension here?

their downgrade policy doesnt make much sense to me, they already earned my money for 2 years and now still tries to bind me to a contract if i try to change my package
http://www.tm.com.my/unifi/home/Pages/contract-terms.aspx
Upgrade & Downgrade
Customer is only allowed to upgrade or downgrade the UniFi Service package after the expiry of two (2) working days from the installation date.

Customers can upgrade or downgrade their UniFi service by visiting TMpoint, through any TM authorized sales channel (AE only) or by calling TM UniFi Center (1-300-88-1222). If a customer requests for a downgrade within the 24 month contract period, a downgrade fee of RM 200 will be charged. The existing CPE will be used unless a change is required due to the nature of the downgrade requested. For any upgrade or downgrade request that requires a visit by TM to a customer’s premises, an additional fee of RM 200 will be imposed.

-----

Unless the contactor needs to be at your place to facilitate downgrades, it should be free according to the contract terms.
Not sure if this updated or not.
Their NGN should allow them to do any modification of package speed from their end without the need to send technicians to the ipdslam or your hse...

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Apr 17 2013, 01:25 AM
andrew9292
post Apr 18 2013, 02:52 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(xHj09 @ Apr 18 2013, 05:25 AM)
hi guys,

last time my unifi very strong in my room although with 2 bars of signal strength, can dota 2 and download full speed. how come now my unifi so terrible? same wifi strength, but keep disconnecting. abandoned few freaking games in a row already!! ping google.com -t shows its so unstable. from 7ms to 3k ms. wtf sia. last time steady 7-13ms like that. any solution to this?

i spent a lot buying new pc and TP-link tl-wr1043nd router already. no extra cash to buy more stuffs.. any idea what should i do to solve this w/o spending any money?
ping 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or your specific router address over wifi and view the latency... it shouldnt exceed 20ms
if it does, your wifi is to blame
if it doesnt exceed, means your connection to router is stable, the problem is at TM's side.

if it's your router what you can do is download InSSIDer to scan the wireless networks around you, view which channel/frequency is less or not used by your neighbours and select that frequency in your router.

if you have no wireless b & g devices, set your router to run wireless N mode only.
if you can run wireless N only, experiment with 40mhz setting on/off and and wmm on/off, see which gives you better performance.

also remember to set wireless security to wpa2-psk only and AES cipher only.
other wifi settings that may be relevant: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advan...reless_settings
The concept of these reccomendations applies to most if not all routers

Router antenna position is important too, if you plan to focus the signal on the same floor, put the antennas vertical, if upstairs, horizontal, the output pattern of antennas are like this:
user posted image

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Apr 18 2013, 03:07 PM
andrew9292
post Apr 18 2013, 05:12 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(xHj09 @ Apr 18 2013, 03:29 PM)
the ping is 1ms, 2ms and <1ms..
hmm, my old pc is using TL-WN321G which runs b/g wireless only, i tested N only and the pc totally couldn't connect, so i changed it to BGN mixed.
and okay thanks bro! i'll test and give u the results!
As long as you can make sure the latency does not come from your end, then it's time to call tm.
easiest way is to connect to the router with lan cable and ping google, if its still 3k ms like you mention, it is most probably not your wifi/routers edy rclxub.gif
andrew9292
post Apr 18 2013, 07:30 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(xHj09 @ Apr 18 2013, 05:53 PM)
i tried using my old DIR-615 and flash my TL-WR1043ND, now it's dead. can't even do failsafe. the sys light is not blinking. shyt man. lol.
damn. =\ hope you can fix it... nod.gif
andrew9292
post Apr 29 2013, 04:03 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

Just found out that...

CODE
25th April 2013
The OpenWrt Release Team would like to announce the final Attitude Adjustment Release (12.09).
 _______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
         |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
----------------------------------------------------
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (12.09, r36088)
----------------------------------------------------

https://openwrt.org

Damn good stufff, just flashed update n reconfigured my DIR615-G2 >(bridge vlan.500)> DIR615-C2.
Both on openwrt. biggrin.gif

Not for the faint hearted yea* lulz!

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Apr 29 2013, 04:04 PM
andrew9292
post Apr 29 2013, 09:07 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(harryfoo @ Apr 29 2013, 05:33 PM)
Means that I have no choice but to pull the network cable all the way from living room to my room. Can I use my existing ADSL modem as a hub? Because I might wanna build a NAS drive later.
1st you asked if you can connect IPTV STB direct to BTU, so this means that your BTU is at living room and RG(Router) is in your room? Hence now u wanna pull the wire from your router in your room to the living hall for IPTV? How about homeplugs?

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Apr 29 2013, 09:08 PM
andrew9292
post Apr 29 2013, 10:25 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(harryfoo @ Apr 29 2013, 09:28 PM)
I haven't install Unifi yet, I'm doing planning. Homeplug is quite expensive for me.
I see, hmm in that case the wires should be substancially cheaper... I bought a flat 10m ethernet cat5e cable for RM20++ if not mistaken.

More expensive than the round type but better looking la since running under the door to my router ouside the room. Found no performance difference too. Hence unless u need more than 50m, it will still be cheaper than those high quality homeplug notworthy.gif

Since you might wanna have a NAS, not clear on how you are going to implement it but it's better to have a wired connection to the NAS or the Host if you're running it from a PC. Especially if you are gonna mass download/upload directly to/from the NAS to prevent bottlenecks on the wireless clients. Especially if you are using TM's stock router...

As for IPTV from BTU, also depends on which BTU TM provides you, some BTU allows reconfiguration for more flexibility.
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1993913/+160
http://klseet.com

This post has been edited by andrew9292: Apr 29 2013, 10:33 PM
andrew9292
post Apr 29 2013, 10:39 PM

-/Livin' On A Prayer/-
954 posts

QUOTE(estara @ Apr 29 2013, 09:48 PM)
Anyone knows what's wrong with Unifi lately? I used to be able to use wifi at home downstairs and in my room but lately I've been having interruption every few seconds or minutes. The thing is the wifi signal is still strong...I can use it smoothly if I sit very near to the router and modem but once I move further it disconnects again and again. I never have this problem before!
Is it happening at all devices or only a particular device?
Can you run a software like InSSIDer(PC/Mac) or Wifi Analyzer (Android/iOS) to check if there is interfering channels and reconfig if necessary?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0403sec    0.60    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:20 AM