Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nokia pureview 808, Bye, nerd and antisocial life

views

zaxkong
post Mar 10 2016, 01:10 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

Yes, all taken with 808 and no post editing. 808 is not so good in close up shot, it need a minimum of 20cm so that the object will be in focus (get more close with loseless zoom, but limited to max 8mp).

When it compare to lastest smartphone, smartphone now can have really short distance macro shot. So in term of bokeh, short distance (of smartphone) and big sensor (of 808) yield quite similar bokeh. But I will still say the winner is 808 because not all object we will get close to it, like moving child and some small animal (lipas, cicak). And last point is 808 is good at its natural color, samsung one is not bad but when compare to 808 will find it is a bit cold.

QUOTE(H A Z A R D 7 7 @ Mar 10 2016, 09:13 AM)
Use phone to capture? Nice leh

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
realjazzcoke
post Mar 15 2016, 02:12 PM

Casual
490 posts

It is true that 808 was never meant for close macro shot, but the image details and quality from 808 remains a gold standard to all smartphones until now(others usually over processed the image, saturated and sharpens alot)

user posted image
no edit

A sample of what can you do with 34MP/38MP for macro:
user posted image
Default distance, no edit

user posted image
Cropped from the above image to FULLHD format

Hopefully those who still owns the 808 will continues to enjoy quality clicks from it^^
zaxkong
post Mar 16 2016, 09:57 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

Wow, the dragonfly one is nice. How you measure its distance? Or just shoot from far away (as insect will fly away)? For stationary object like flower i measure 20cm with a "rock" hand sign (thumb to small finger around 20cm).

QUOTE(realjazzcoke @ Mar 15 2016, 02:12 PM)
It is true that 808 was never meant for close macro shot, but the image details and quality from 808 remains a gold standard to all smartphones until now(others usually over processed the image, saturated and sharpens alot)

user posted image
no edit

A sample of what can you do with 34MP/38MP for macro:
user posted image
Default distance, no edit

user posted image
Cropped from the above image to FULLHD format

Hopefully those who still owns the 808 will continues to enjoy quality clicks from it^^
zaxkong
post Mar 16 2016, 10:55 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

Korean doll

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
realjazzcoke
post Mar 16 2016, 11:29 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(zaxkong @ Mar 16 2016, 09:57 AM)
Wow, the dragonfly one is nice. How you measure its distance? Or just shoot from far away (as insect will fly away)? For stationary object like flower i measure 20cm with a "rock" hand sign (thumb to small finger around 20cm).
This might take a while to master, but i try to make it simple, by now u should know the autofcus for 808 is not that great, so, for dragonfly scene, i prefocused to my hand, then, using ur phone's screen (808 stil the king of under sunlight since 2012 lol) correct ur distance (move forward or backwards) until u feel ur image is sharp on ur screen, then click it. Its not 100% successful rate, but when u nailed the shot, u will have the same results as mine≧∇≦ have fun ~
zaxkong
post Mar 16 2016, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

New skill get. v(happy.gif) Thanks
QUOTE(realjazzcoke @ Mar 16 2016, 11:29 AM)
This might take a while to master,  but i try to make it simple, by now u should know the autofcus for 808 is not that great,  so,  for dragonfly scene,  i prefocused to my hand,  then, using ur phone's screen (808 stil the king of under sunlight since 2012 lol) correct ur distance (move forward or backwards) until u feel ur image is sharp on ur screen, then click it. Its not 100% successful rate, but when u nailed the shot, u will have the same results as mine≧∇≦ have fun ~
Jokersson
post Mar 21 2016, 10:22 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

Since the 808 is pretty much dead as a smartphone, wondering whether the camera and picture quality can rival any point and shoot for the same price (RM800).
realjazzcoke
post Mar 22 2016, 12:05 PM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(Jokersson @ Mar 21 2016, 10:22 PM)
Since the 808 is pretty much dead as a smartphone, wondering whether the camera and picture quality can rival any point and shoot for the same price (RM800).
in terms of camera function and feature, yes, any point and shoot will excel in this area. But in terms picture quality, here's a direct quote from GSMARENA review back in 2012 :
"The camera is the main reason everyone is interested in the Nokia 808 PureView. It was off to a flying start after emerging victorious from our blind test, comfortably beating the Olympus E-PL2, and matching the detail levels of our 5D Mark III DSLR so it seems Nokia got everything right here. "

quote reference:
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pureview-review-776p6.php

the blind test:
http://www.gsmarena.com/pureview_blind_test-review-773.php

And the definition "dead" is more to the Symbian OS, but not the user or the phone itself, it is still alive and kicking with me for 3 years now^^

the price of 808 back then is around RM1600 - RM1800, i know the RM800 is the depreciation price after all these years, but still the price doesn't justify the 808's image quality if compared (even you bring up the new S7 edge, for example). The theory of the normal point and shoot is if you are able to have a sensor size which is larger than the 808 (41.3 megapixel 1/1.2 in CMOS FSI image sensor with 7728x5368 pixels), u will get better image quality in logic (but not theoretically, as the combination with lenses, sensors & software optimization are crucial producing the final image)

zaxkong
post Mar 22 2016, 06:52 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(Jokersson @ Mar 21 2016, 10:22 PM)
Actually I am quite new to nokia 808, I only owned it since Nov 2015 (brought from ebay at a price of $119.99, converted and include shipping 600+). So i compare it to camera ranged rm600+-.

For a p&s camera at rm600 wont has a chance to set the shutter speed and iso etc, so in camera function and feature, I still support 808. I believe that the image quality of nokia 808 can easily beat out those 1/2.3" compact cam, with default 26/28mm focal length. And even in video I also believe 808 is better as it has led light for video.

The image quality of 808 can be compare with a rx100 (rm1k+-) and won't lose much in every aspect. And the main reason I choose 808 is for its portability, which has a compact camera (rx100 also a compact cam) image quality in your pocket. If you can find a used or new one at 500+-, just go for it. It will not fail you, I strongly suggest it as I also start from p&s -> rx100 -> mirrorless -> 808.

Ps: The photos I attached is by 808 during CNY, handheld (no tripod), no post editing.

This post has been edited by zaxkong: Mar 22 2016, 06:55 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
realjazzcoke
post Mar 24 2016, 12:14 PM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(zaxkong @ Mar 22 2016, 06:52 PM)
Actually I am quite new to nokia 808, I only owned it since Nov 2015 (brought from ebay at a price of $119.99, converted and include shipping 600+). So i compare it to camera ranged rm600+-.

For a p&s camera at rm600 wont has a chance to set the shutter speed and iso etc, so in camera function and feature, I still support 808. I believe that the image quality of nokia 808 can easily beat out those 1/2.3" compact cam, with default 26/28mm focal length. And even in video I also believe 808 is better as it has led light for video.

The image quality of 808 can be compare with a rx100 (rm1k+-) and won't lose much in every aspect. And the main reason I choose 808 is for its portability, which has a compact camera (rx100 also a compact cam) image quality in your pocket. If you can find a used or new one at 500+-, just go for it. It will not fail you, I strongly suggest it as I also start from p&s -> rx100 -> mirrorless -> 808.

Ps: The photos I attached is by 808 during CNY, handheld (no tripod), no post editing.
handshaked detected, but understandable^^ try to lean on something to steady your shots ( if u are not using a tripod, and i assume the shutter speed is around 1sec?)

below are 2 examples of handheld 2.7sec max long shutter for 808, if you are able to find place to rest ur hand:

user posted image

user posted image
slightly handshake at this one though lol

No edit, stock.
zaxkong
post Mar 24 2016, 01:04 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

Yerp, 1/8s, but for a smartphone to capture a firework I think is pretty amazing. And the photo I attach is taken from sunway Uni, handheld 2.7s. 808 lack an ois, which is very hard to get a steady 2.7s shot (I wont say impossible later got ppl can do it tongue.gif)

QUOTE(realjazzcoke @ Mar 24 2016, 12:14 PM)
handshaked detected, but understandable^^ try to lean on something to steady your shots ( if u are not using a tripod, and i assume the shutter speed is around 1sec?)

below are 2 examples of handheld 2.7sec max long shutter for 808, if you are able to find place to rest ur hand:

user posted image

user posted image
slightly handshake at this one though lol

No edit, stock.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
realjazzcoke
post Mar 24 2016, 02:32 PM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(zaxkong @ Mar 24 2016, 01:04 PM)
Yerp, 1/8s, but for a smartphone to capture a firework I think is pretty amazing. And the photo I attach is taken from sunway Uni, handheld 2.7s. 808 lack an ois, which is very hard to get a steady 2.7s shot (I wont say impossible later got ppl can do it tongue.gif)
Not bad i would say for this shot^^ yup it is possible to hold still for 2.7 sec with more practice and find a suitable place to camp (without tripod lol) but dont hope for picture perfect or blur/shake free much ><

back then 2.7 sec is short, but fun and challenging (LRT from Masjid Jamik undertunnel to KLCC, if anyone interested to try):

user posted image

to me, OIS on phone are double-edge sword, it is good while ur hand in motion, but if u would want to take landscape pictures with tripod, it wont go well at least, as the stabilizer are not able to idle even if u put on flat surface or tripod (unlike real camera options, u can switch OIS off)

zaxkong
post Apr 7 2016, 01:59 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

Grasshopper

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
zaxkong
post Apr 12 2016, 12:09 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

From nokia 808 without edit

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0346sec    1.75    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 12:40 AM