19 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Passive Income from Dividend

views

Havoc Knightmare
post Jan 21 2013, 02:10 PM

Invictus
1,202 posts

QUOTE(Dividend Warrior @ Jan 19 2013, 12:40 AM)
I did it with Singapore stocks.

Around 7% annual yield.  smile.gif

Check it out.

My Dividend Portfolio for passive income
Fancy seeing you around here.. We've talked a little about stocks over at HWZ, didn't expect to find you here too smile.gif
pisces88
post Jan 21 2013, 03:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,711 posts

hmm anyone can advise on the Tax from SG stocks' dividends?
gark
post Jan 21 2013, 03:56 PM

10k Club
12,534 posts

QUOTE(pisces88 @ Jan 21 2013, 03:15 PM)
hmm anyone can advise on the Tax from SG stocks' dividends?
All dividend, capital gain and interest from SG stocks is tax fee in Sg and not taxable in Malaysia, ie. tax free. rclxms.gif
pisces88
post Jan 21 2013, 04:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,711 posts

QUOTE(gark @ Jan 21 2013, 03:56 PM)
All dividend, capital gain and interest from SG stocks is tax fee in Sg and not taxable in Malaysia, ie. tax free.  rclxms.gif
good to know rclxms.gif thanks
TSAgent 592
post Jan 21 2013, 05:08 PM

Getting Started
129 posts

thx everyone for the overwhelming response, it is all-inspiring to know that it is possible to get enough dividend to live with, KFA. Here's another question, SGX vs KLSE which one is better in your opinion? i think currently KLSE is still a very small mkt but with good prospect (as long as Malaysia continue to grow) while SGX is more matured.
jasontoh
post Jan 21 2013, 05:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,870 posts

All dividend, capital gain and interest from SG stocks is tax fee in Sg and not taxable in Malaysia, ie. tax free.  rclxms.gif
It's just too bad this doesn't apply to US stocks as well. The blu-ray is taxed sad.gif
Dividend Warrior
post Jan 22 2013, 12:18 AM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(Havoc Knightmare @ Jan 21 2013, 02:10 PM)
Fancy seeing you around here.. We've talked a little about stocks over at HWZ, didn't expect to find you here too smile.gif
I may be branching out into Malaysian stocks. biggrin.gif
prophetjul
post Jan 22 2013, 08:42 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,570 posts

Are you sure that dividends in SG are not taxed?
i thought it applies only to SREITs?
prophetjul
post Jan 22 2013, 08:46 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,570 posts

SG Dividends are taxable.........

Dividends are distributions by a company to its shareholders.

It represents returns on shareholder's capital, which may be paid in cash or in kind. For instance, a company may pay its shareholders in the form of company's shares.

Dividends derived in Singapore are taxable unless they are specifically exempted under the Income Tax Act.

Dividends exempt from tax

Dividends are not taxable if they are
Foreign dividends received in Singapore on or after 1 Jan 2004. This excludes foreign source income received through partnerships in Singapore.
Income distributions from unit trusts and real estate investment trusts (REIT), that are authorised under Section 286 of the Securities and Futures Act (excludes distributions out of franked dividends) on or after 1 Jan 2004.
One-tier exempt dividends from companies under the one-tier corporate tax system.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irashome/page04.aspx?id=146
Dividend Warrior
post Jan 22 2013, 09:05 AM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jan 22 2013, 08:42 AM)
Are you sure that dividends in SG are not taxed? 
i thought it applies only to SREITs?
Dividends in SG are already taxed at the corporate level.

So, as a Singaporean retail investor myself, whatever dividends the company declares, I will get the full amount.

However, I am not sure if the same rule applies to a Malaysian investor with Singapore stocks.
prophetjul
post Jan 22 2013, 09:16 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,570 posts

QUOTE(Dividend Warrior @ Jan 22 2013, 09:05 AM)
Dividends in SG are already taxed at the corporate level.

So, as a Singaporean retail investor myself, whatever dividends the company declares, I will get the full amount.

However, I am not sure if the same rule applies to a Malaysian investor with Singapore stocks.
Point is normal divs are taxed...........

whereas SREITs are Not taxed.

So one cannot broadbrush with a statement like that
whoknowz
post Jan 22 2013, 09:58 AM

On my way
518 posts

dividend earning is not easy i see . capital shall be kinda huge to do so .
gark
post Jan 22 2013, 10:06 AM

10k Club
12,534 posts

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jan 22 2013, 09:16 AM)
Point is normal divs are taxed........... 

whereas SREITs are Not taxed. 

So one cannot broadbrush with a statement like that
Dividend is single tier in SG, which is taxed at corporate level. You are not taxed by SG govt as part of your income declaration. Also you are not taxed by MY Govt as it is foreign income. So you buying SG for dividend you get net amount (as declared) same as Singaporeans, so level playing field.

This is opposed to US dividend, in which it is taxed at corporate level AND as a foreigner you get taxed another 30% withholding tax even for REITs.

This post has been edited by gark: Jan 22 2013, 10:08 AM
SKY 1809
post Jan 22 2013, 11:23 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,614 posts

QUOTE(gark @ Jan 22 2013, 10:06 AM)
Dividend is single tier in SG, which is taxed at corporate level. You are not taxed by SG govt as part of your income declaration. Also you are not taxed by MY Govt as it is foreign income. So you buying SG for dividend you get net amount (as declared) same as Singaporeans, so level playing field.

This is opposed to US dividend, in which it is taxed at corporate level AND as a foreigner you get taxed another 30% withholding tax even for REITs.
Singapore has signed a Double Tax ( avoidance )Treaty with Malaysia, so taxed only once at either country.......

Malaysia does not have this treaty ( on dividends ) with US, I presume....

BTW, Single Tier Tax is not Tax Free, just we as the individuals , pay the same rates as the Corporates .....aka Tax at source if u like

Only time it is tax free when Corporates pay tax Exempt Div out of Tax exempt incomes .

U confuse me, so time for me to confuse u back lah.

This post has been edited by SKY 1809: Jan 22 2013, 12:18 PM
gark
post Jan 22 2013, 11:50 AM

10k Club
12,534 posts

QUOTE(SKY 1809 @ Jan 22 2013, 11:23 AM)
Singapore has signed a Double Tax ( avoidance )Treaty with Malaysia, so taxed only  once at either country.......

Malaysia does not have this treaty ( on dividends )  with US, I presumed....

BTW, Single Tier Tax is not Tax Free, just we as the  individuals , pay the same rates as the Corporates .....aka Tax at source if u like

Only time it is tax  free when Corporates pay tax Exempt Div out of Tax exempt incomes .

U confuse me, so time for me to confuse u back lah.
No need for tax treaty, all FOREIGN income not originating from Malaysia is tax free. laugh.gif (This law to help the crony hide their money is swiss bank account and park their money out of Malaysia. Why you think MY has the highest fund outflow compared to other countries? brows.gif )

US is withholding tax, means even though you have tax treaty still TAX you kau kau. .. tongue.gif Unless you declare US income tax, then you can reclaim some of it.

So single tier div from Malaysia = single tier div from SG = whats the problem? tongue.gif
SKY 1809
post Jan 22 2013, 12:05 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,614 posts

QUOTE(gark @ Jan 22 2013, 11:50 AM)
No need for tax treaty, all FOREIGN income not originating from Malaysia is tax free.  laugh.gif (This law to help the crony hide their money is swiss bank account  and park their money out of Malaysia. Why you think MY has the highest fund outflow compared to other countries? brows.gif )

US is withholding tax, means even though you have tax treaty still TAX you kau kau. .. tongue.gif Unless you declare US income tax, then you can reclaim some of it.

So single tier div from Malaysia = single tier div from SG = whats the problem?  tongue.gif
Exemptions of taxes from F Incomes kinda like our Real Property Gain Tax Rates , suka suka can change anytime.

Some years u may see some big outflows, then later needs an inflow to balance IT. hmm.gif

BTW. Withholding Tax is always higher than the normal tax in many countries blush.gif Many still do not want to claim back from proper channels...........

This post has been edited by SKY 1809: Jan 22 2013, 12:12 PM
Dividend Warrior
post Jan 22 2013, 12:17 PM

Casual
394 posts

QUOTE(whoknowz @ Jan 22 2013, 09:58 AM)
dividend earning is not easy i see . capital shall be kinda huge to do so .
Yes. A rather huge capital is needed.

However, u can start small.
prophetjul
post Jan 22 2013, 02:42 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,570 posts

QUOTE(gark @ Jan 22 2013, 10:06 AM)

thumbup.gif
netmask8
post Jan 25 2013, 10:37 AM

Regular
Validating
1,525 posts

Currency Exchg Rate is playing an important tool ..

SGD 1 Dollar = MYR 2.5 in S'pore REIT Dividend Payout Qtrly ?

While In Bursa Msia REIT = Buy in MYR , Sell in MYR , Dividend in MYR .. Ratio 1:1

If u want better yield + ROI, S'pore REIT Dividend(with higher currency exchg rate) will be
much better than Msia REIT Dividend. All the best.
SUSMaterazzi
post Jan 28 2013, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,569 posts

So no need to invest in US? I was told by my singaporean friend that the dividend tax for income we got in US shares are free. Somemore the commission fees are cheap. In sg commission around 0.28% to buy shares using phillip capital. Which reits good? I only notice cache and first reits look interesting

19 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0211sec    0.17    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:08 PM