118 Pages « < 106 107 108 109 110 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Basic Intake and Exhaust Modification Guide, for normal aspirated cars v1.0

views

AMDAthlon
post Jan 4 2013, 11:56 AM

The future is Fusion
5,219 posts

Okay..i will test using the newspaper thinggy..
So i guess that sand thinggy is normal eh?Nothing to worry about?
Quazacolt
post Jan 4 2013, 12:03 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(AMDAthlon @ Jan 4 2013, 11:56 AM)
Okay..i will test using the newspaper thinggy..
So i guess that sand thinggy is normal eh?Nothing to worry about?
no it's not normal, if my suspicion is right, then it means a damaged mid box/muffler noise suppression lol.
AMDAthlon
post Jan 4 2013, 02:45 PM

The future is Fusion
5,219 posts

FYI,my mid box/mufflet had just been replaced/ a new one..

So where could that noise come from?
Extractor?
Quazacolt
post Jan 4 2013, 02:48 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(AMDAthlon @ Jan 4 2013, 02:45 PM)
FYI,my mid box/mufflet had just been replaced/ a new one..

So where could that noise come from?
Extractor?
get your car jacked, check for leaks, and identify if your new mid box/muffler if it is faulty (someone can be listening underneath the jacked car while another person high revs it)

new mid/muffler doesn't mean it won't have manufacturing defects
AMDAthlon
post Jan 4 2013, 06:41 PM

The future is Fusion
5,219 posts

Listen to the sandy sound right?
Thanks mate..will try..
olkuu0205
post Jan 10 2013, 03:05 AM

12 posts

Plan to change mid-box or extractor 4-1 quote by kweng for my Fiesta 1.6 auto. Any sifu can give some opinion 4-1 will better than ori interm of pickup and topspeed or some shop at KL/selangor/seremban area?
sad.gif

If the mid-box is stock if I want change what type of mid-box suit for my fiesta ? or keep on stock more better? cause i dunno mid-box will improve power or not... icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by olkuu0205: Jan 10 2013, 06:22 PM
christino
post Jan 11 2013, 11:54 PM

2 posts

kweng? think twice bro, might cheap but regret. this is from my experience
olkuu0205
post Jan 12 2013, 01:54 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(christino @ Jan 12 2013, 12:54 AM)
kweng? think twice bro, might cheap but regret. this is from my experience
4-1 will better than ori interm of pickup and topspeed or any suggest some cheap shop at KL/selangor/seremban area?
If the mid-box is stock if I want change what type of mid-box suit for my fiesta ? or keep on stock more better? cause i dunno mid-box will improve power or not...

This post has been edited by olkuu0205: Jan 12 2013, 01:56 AM
Quazacolt
post Jan 12 2013, 01:56 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(olkuu0205 @ Jan 12 2013, 01:54 AM)
4-1 will better than ori interm of pickup and topspeed or any suggest some cheap shop at KL/selangor/seremban area?
If the mid-box is stock if I want change what type of mid-box suit for my fiesta ? or keep on stock more better? cause i dunno mid-box will improve power or not...
1) leave the cat alone
2) prepare 2-3k or more for proper reputable brand exhaust.
if you cant prepare that much, keep it stock.
olkuu0205
post Jan 15 2013, 03:31 PM

12 posts

If use Drop-in Filter will help increase little power?
olkuu0205
post Jan 17 2013, 02:19 AM

12 posts

Kweng really so bad reputation?
riazorblues
post Feb 7 2013, 12:39 PM

Casual
359 posts

Any idea what to do for better acceleration and abit boost to 1.3 myvi auto?

any recommended brand? and shop?

thanks
mitevo7
post Feb 7 2013, 03:20 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(riazorblues @ Feb 7 2013, 12:39 PM)
Any idea what to do for better acceleration and abit boost to 1.3 myvi auto?

any recommended brand? and shop?

thanks
Hi, actually, if you were talking about reputable branding, it's gonna cost a bomb. What's ur budget range? I did mine with just remove the cat and replaced it with "Sebring" bullet which ad cost me around RM200.
riazorblues
post Feb 7 2013, 04:02 PM

Casual
359 posts

My budget will be around 1k..if good brand coz abit more, will consider for it.

I just want better accel, abit boost power, better engine pickup especially in taking over lorries n buses.

FYI, i always driving KL-KB-KL.

Please assist me.

TQ
ieyjj
post Feb 7 2013, 05:14 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(soulfly @ Feb 14 2006, 03:00 PM)
TAKE NOTE THAT THIS IS A DISCUSSION AND IF YOU SHOULD WANT TO THANK/SUGGESTION FOR ANYTHING/ ANYBODY FOR THIS INFORMATIVE THREAD (i.e: soulfly or who ever) PLEASE DO IT BY PM! THANK YOU!
Edited by: antonio_zth

Basic intake and exhaust modification guide
(for normal aspirated cars) v1.11

by soulfly

Introduction
This write-up is to help our car newbies in upgrading their car performance in a minimal way, and the correct way of course. No surbo, no micro compressor, no cyclone, no turbo jet, nor stromberg, heck not even stupid magnet gimmicks nor fake blow off valve! And the most important thing is, this guide will retain street drivability and very minimum noise increase (if possible).

Intake modification
The factory airbox has its own benefit such to avoid your filter from water splash as well as to reduce engine noise. Some people might think that the factory airbox is restrictive, but it is not always true since there are also aftermarket performance airbox as well. For example, the infamous Mugen air filter box (for Honda) which is actually smaller than OEM airbox. Another famous brand is ARC, which also makes intercooler, oil cooler and other performance stuffs.

1. Standard drop-in filter
If you hate engine noise, OEM filter replacement is what you would want. The standard drop in filter is actually not that bad. It is just that it has less surface area which restricts intake air suction. You can get those aftermarket performance drop-in filters such as K&N, Pipercross or HKS (just to name a few). However, I would like to remind that sponge type filter (such as HKS SPF) might have the best airflow but it's the worst in filtration. To choose a good aftermarket drop-in filter, you must make sure that it has more surface area compare to stock, else it is just no better. Performance drop-in usually does not give the best high-end power, but expect some good low end gains.

Pros : less noise, good low end power, low profile look
Cons : a little restrictive, sometimes no better than stock

2. Open-pod type filter
The airbox is removed and cone or dome/mushroom shaped filter is installed. Open-pod usually have more surface area compare to drop-ins because it has more surface area, thus more air can be sucked. However, this setup tends to suck hot air from the engine bay especially when the car is in parallel. Hot air is not good because it tend to have lower mass compare to cold air. Cold air has more mass, and more oxygen for combustion thus creates more efficient burning and more power. Somehow, this is not an issue when the car is moving especially at higher speed. Some people make heatshield to avoid hot air from the engine being sucked to the air filter area. Another good way to get cold air source is by having a cold air intake or air duct to supply air from outside of the car. Usually the air duct is placed behind the bumper. Another idea is to use custom long intake ram pipe and the air filter is positioned behind the bumper. The downside to this setup is that the airfilter can get dirty easily since our road is quite dusty and we have rain throughout the year.

There are many choices out there but most people would get K&N due to its reputation and availability. Another recommended one is the APEX'i Power Intake. This filter has one of the best filtration per performance compare to other competitors. HKS Super Power Flow is somehow not recommended for street usage due to our dusty road condition since it has poor filtration. For a user with tight budget, Simota would be a good choice if you want to try open-pod setup plus the aggressive sound of the engine.

Pros : better intake suction, more midrange to high end power
Cons : more noise, possibility of sucking hot air, can get dirty easily

3. Aftermarket intake ram pipe
Some of you might wonder whether to get aftermarket ram pipe or use the stock one. If you are getting aftermarket ones, make sure it is built with quality. If possible, avoid stainless steel ram pipes because they tend to absorb heat easily, thus increasing the intake air temperature. Iceman makes good ram pipe which is heat resistant. Size is also important. The smaller the diameter, the higher air velocity and the bigger the more air mass is allowed. Too small would be restrictive and too big is a waste. However, there is a type of ram pipe design which is fat in the middle. You can find this type of setup in some Honda. I am yet to find out the advantage, but the design is probably optimized for VTEC operation.

Pros : smoother air flow
Cons : possible heat issue

All of the above is POINTLESS if you watch Mighty Car Mods. They have sent their cars to dyno test and check with all the filters. NO DIFFERENCE compared to Original. lol

TSsoulfly
post Feb 7 2013, 11:50 PM

revving towards 10,000 rpm
Group Icon
VIP
15,894 posts

QUOTE(ieyjj @ Feb 7 2013, 05:14 PM)
All of the above is POINTLESS if you watch Mighty Car Mods. They have sent their cars to dyno test and check with all the filters. NO DIFFERENCE compared to Original. lol
Just that one show? Just because Mighty Car Mods found something, doesn't mean that is the absolute reality.

There are already so many dyno test done by so many people by using various air filter types/brands/styles/shapes, they do show difference compare to original. Irony?

This post has been edited by soulfly: Feb 7 2013, 11:52 PM
markblurberry
post Feb 8 2013, 12:13 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

Well i guess its just like drugs..could be one man's food and poison to the other...altho the show did enhance its credibility with on-the-spot dyno...but i do feel that probably they are doing it in isolation...car mod is always about modifying a few things to increase performance, that's why the Jap came out with stage 1, 2 etc..for every modification done to the intake, u may need to mod the waste that comes out such as to relieve backpressure via exhaust, and next u need to mod throttle. More intense mod will be supercharged and turbocharge, but u need to mod fuel-rail, BOV, injector..etc...etc.. then u need to do something about the suspension, the brake...otherwise the car would b undrivable.....just air filter alone probably there's slight improvement - maybe butt dyno can feel..who knows...
ieyjj
post Feb 8 2013, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(soulfly @ Feb 7 2013, 11:50 PM)
Just that one show? Just because Mighty Car Mods found something, doesn't mean that is the absolute reality.

There are already so many dyno test done by so many people by using various air filter types/brands/styles/shapes, they do show difference compare to original. Irony?
Well, assuming if they did get some gains, I am sure it would be unnoticeable gains. Doubt you would be able to feel 1-2% increase at all.
Well, I'm sure you will get noticeable noise. hahaha..
ieyjj
post Feb 8 2013, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(markblurberry @ Feb 8 2013, 12:13 AM)
Well i guess its just like drugs..could be one man's food and poison to the other...altho the show did enhance its credibility with on-the-spot dyno...but i do feel that probably they are doing it in isolation...car mod is always about modifying a few things to increase performance, that's why the Jap came out with stage 1, 2 etc..for every modification done to the intake, u may need to mod the waste that comes out such as to relieve backpressure via exhaust, and next u need to mod throttle. More intense mod will be supercharged and turbocharge, but u need to mod fuel-rail, BOV, injector..etc...etc.. then u need to do something about the suspension, the brake...otherwise the car would b undrivable.....just air filter alone probably there's slight improvement - maybe butt dyno can feel..who knows...
SO true! unless if you have calculated the total cost of making significant gains, adding a pod filter or cold air intake would be pointless cuz by the time you save up for a supercharge mod, the pod would be out. lol..
TSsoulfly
post Feb 8 2013, 12:22 PM

revving towards 10,000 rpm
Group Icon
VIP
15,894 posts

QUOTE(ieyjj @ Feb 8 2013, 10:49 AM)
Well, assuming if they did get some gains, I am sure it would be unnoticeable gains. Doubt you would be able to feel 1-2% increase at all.
Well, I'm sure you will get noticeable noise. hahaha..
this is true somehow.
little gains can only be shown in dyno graphs.

but one more thing... people only seem to look at max hp/torque. the power curve is another important aspect to consider.

This post has been edited by soulfly: Feb 8 2013, 12:23 PM

118 Pages « < 106 107 108 109 110 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:54 PM